Author Topic: [IC] UM-70 | Affordable 65% Split Keyboard with OLED and Encoder  (Read 11617 times)

Offline online

264453-0
UM-70 is an affordable feature-rich 70 keys split keyboard in 65% layout. It equipped with macro keys, encoder, OLED screen, in switch RGB and sidelight RGB housed in PLA 3D printed case.

Please fill in the IC form - https://forms.gle/8HggvQL8zHufy5279

Album - https://imgur.com/a/7lHVLjd

Typing sounds - https://youtu.be/gNvdUvDgnyk

Specs
•   70 Keys QWERTY split in 65% layout
•   OLED Screen
•   Encoder (15mm rotary knob)
•   In switch RGB and sidelight RGB
•   Top Mounted
•   RF4 Plates
•   3 Degree Typing Angle
•   USB-C
•   Hopswap
•   QMK, VIA Compatible
•   PLA FDM 3D Printed Housing
•   Left 170 x 120 x 25mm
•   Right 205 x 120 x 25mm

PCB Layouts
264457-1

Soldering is required
To maintain a lower price point, PCB is part assembled. Therefore, soldering is required for hotswap sockets, RGBs, TRRS jack and OLED. Guide will be provided.

Colors (tbc, please fill the IC form.)
•   Galaxy Black
•   Galaxy Purple
•   Marble Effects
•   White
•   Baby Blue
•   Mint
•   Pastel Pink
•   RF4 plates will be available in Black or White

FAQ
How much will it cost?
Around £130 - £150 per kit. Final pricing will be confirmed.

Will extra PCBs be available to order?
Yes

Can you share the STL files so I can print it myself?
No.

Why not use pro micro if you want to keep the cost down?
I want USB-C on my keyboards. USB-C pro micro (Elite-c) is not cheap and it needed two here.

When will the GB starts?
End of March or early April.

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2021, 22:46:25 by online »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Re: [IC] UM-70 | Affordable 65% Split Keyboard with OLED and Encoder
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 19:20:06 »
I like the concept, but would like to see a more substantial case if there aren't going to be case files available.

Offline online

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 19:38:07 »
I like the concept, but would like to see a more substantial case if there aren't going to be case files available.
Can you elaborate?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 20:56:16 »
Can you elaborate?
I just wouldn't expect a closed sourced case to be 3d printed. Would expect it to be injected molded plastic, aluminum acrylic, etc

Offline online

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 22:26:51 »
Can you elaborate?
I just wouldn't expect a closed sourced case to be 3d printed. Would expect it to be injected molded plastic, aluminum acrylic, etc

I see what you mean. We all expected to receive source files for free when come to 3D printing. I give my salutes to people out there who are willing to give away the source files for free.

From my point of view, I've spent the time to design the case and pcb as I would have on a case made of other materials. Imagine asking for the source file of an aluminium case because CNC service is now readily accessible.

Another reason for not releasing the source file is that I'll able to ensure the quality of the products that carry the brand name.

I made it clear this is a keyboard in a 3D printed housing and I think the price reflects that. This is not for everyone for sure, but I hope someone out there is interested in this kind of products.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2021, 22:49:09 by online »

Offline hello21

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 00:10:04 »
This is the sort of layout I as looking for!
Do you reckon you'd offer any colours other than those in the IC?
Such as that orange... or that orange... or that orange

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 00:27:31 »
This is appealing. I filled out the IC form and will be keeping an eye on this.
A-a-ron

Offline dibstern

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 03:18:21 »
This layout but sleek and expensively constructed would be awesome

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 09:18:30 »
I see what you mean. We all expected to receive source files for free when come to 3D printing. I give my salutes to people out there who are willing to give away the source files for free.

From my point of view, I've spent the time to design the case and pcb as I would have on a case made of other materials. Imagine asking for the source file of an aluminium case because CNC service is now readily accessible.

Another reason for not releasing the source file is that I'll able to ensure the quality of the products that carry the brand name.

I made it clear this is a keyboard in a 3D printed housing and I think the price reflects that. This is not for everyone for sure, but I hope someone out there is interested in this kind of products.
Oh I totally get that. I do a ton of work like this as well, and I totally understand getting paid for the time and effort you put in.
My main concern isn't that the case is closed source (though I do prefer open source), but that 3D printing isn't as durable/high quality as other materials. Case's will be easier to damage/won't last as long. If the files were open source then users could just print a new case as needed. But given that its not, someone would need to create an entirely new file set for it when there's needs to be replaced. When I'm investing in a keyboard I really want it to be something that will last me for years and years to come. 3D printing is great for prototypes, just not a fan at all for long term investments.

Offline TeeNam

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 09:28:30 »
contact vendors pls if u can, shipping price kills me

Offline online

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 14:59:19 »

Oh I totally get that. I do a ton of work like this as well, and I totally understand getting paid for the time and effort you put in.
My main concern isn't that the case is closed source (though I do prefer open source), but that 3D printing isn't as durable/high quality as other materials. Case's will be easier to damage/won't last as long. If the files were open source then users could just print a new case as needed. But given that its not, someone would need to create an entirely new file set for it when there's needs to be replaced. When I'm investing in a keyboard I really want it to be something that will last me for years and years to come. 3D printing is great for prototypes, just not a fan at all for long term investments.

I wouldn't want people to think this keyboard is an investment as such. I want to position this board as an entry board with many features crammed in. In this case(!), the features are split, RGB, OLED, encoder and possibly audio. This gives opportunity to try many things out with a single board, and with the familiar QWERTY layout, it will still be welcoming to use after playing with it, compare to other ortho board with similar features.

I understand 3D print PLA is not the strongest material, but It will still last a long time if being careful with it. The same goes for many things, for example, PCB can be fragile if not handled properly, components can be knocked off or solder pads could come off if not using solder iron properly. IMO, I don't think it is the reason to justifies to open source. Nothing last forever after all.

PCB only option will be available if someone wants to make the case themself. I'm also considering offer case only option for those who have concern about the longevity of the material.

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 March 2021, 15:01:28 by online »

Offline online

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 15:08:29 »
This is the sort of layout I as looking for!
Do you reckon you'd offer any colours other than those in the IC?
Such as that orange... or that orange... or that orange

I offered orange in other gb, but turned out orange is not a popular choice of colour.
I'll keep that in mind, I'll add in if many people asked for it.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 16:55:28 »
is hotswap forced or is a solder pcb an option?

Offline online

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 17:40:40 »
is hotswap forced or is a solder pcb an option?

Hotswap only atm.

Offline MortalKonga

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 08:46:41 »
Hi! It looks wonderful. What about ISO layout?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 09:00:29 »
Nice design. Are you using heat-set screw inserts for the plate mounting?

I'm used to PLA keyboards being very loud and "plasticky" sounding. I know typing sound tests are never accurate, but it'd be great to get a sound test of the built prototype alongside another keyboard as a reference. It's very easy to compare two boards side-by-side even on a low quality microphone, even if it's not exactly how it will sound IRL.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline kasmog

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 08:54:19 »
Concept is good, and I really like the design and features.
I would've joined the GB in a heart beat, but soldering a hotswap socket beats the purpose of a hotswap PCB. I know you are cutting cost, but how much does a regular solder PCB will add to the final price?
I don't mind the that we have to solder the RGB LEDs because they are optional, but soldering a hotswap socket is more tedious than a regular solder PCB.
Maybe a through hole PCB style next time?
Shame really, I really like this board, but I just can't pull the trigger.

Offline neokeitaro

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 04:00:12 »
This would be my end-game with an optional aluminum case.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:11:31 »
At this price - this is a really fun project board. Certainly more on the tinkering spectrum of the entry level. Very interesting!

Offline Tomn

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 20:05:34 »
Looks super nice!

Offline FullCryoPsychochomp

• Will fight for keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 21:36:24 »
Will there be extras after the group buy orders ship?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 23:20:11 »
Aaa if this was only column stagger it would be my endgame.   i know it's hard to ask  but i would love to have a column stagger with the same functionality as a 65
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2021, 11:43:21 by treeleaf64 »
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!