Author Topic: [MO] The Geekhack Spring for switch modding (~50g)  (Read 53285 times)

Offline Nadger

[MO] The Geekhack Spring for switch modding (~50g)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 22:12:59 »
Quote from: CeeSA;259428
watch my video:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:12790

Thanks for the video, thats with PCB mounted though, i assume that will not work for plate mounted boards.  At least according to random stuff i read on the interwebnets.com

Quote from: MysteryOfTime;259812
Does the Ducky 1087 have the same problem?

Ducky 1087 has an aluminum plate in it, so yes you would run into the same problem.  Italian Stallion is refering to this i believe...but thats on a PCB mounted, not plate.

I couldnt find any guides to doing plate mounted without desoldering.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline Nkromancer

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 23:54:27 »
I'm interested in 2 sets :)

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 01:45:38 »
So is this as light as we can go? What is "the limit", so to speak, and would it be advisable to "push" said "limit"?

Thing is I'd like to turn one of my ol' G80-3000s into a feather-touch dream machine. This can be done, I believe. All I need is a new set of springs, some dental bands, 104 black MX stems, and about 3 hours of free time.
Oh, and a six pack of Fat Tire... And Hawkwind's "Warrior on the Edge of Time"
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 07:23:33 »
Quote from: PRISONER 24601;259985
So is this as light as we can go? What is "the limit", so to speak, and would it be advisable to "push" said "limit"?

We can go lower in force I think, but I'm not sure if it would be any good. These 50g springs in blacks are already very light (at least to me), going any lighter might not work out in actual use. I guess we shall see once the springs are done what most people think of them. If some people still find them too heavy we could try 45g next.

Offline sixty

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 07:32:18 »
I will be opening a second topic with ORDERS ONLY later today. Those of you who ordered "a couple" "maybe 1 or 2" "maybe ..." please make up your mind then, since I need actual numbers and not estimates to calculate to see when we reach the required MOQ.

Thanks!

Offline sixty

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 07:43:26 »
Quote from: woody;258713
Sixty, how would your selected spring change MX blues?

I currently do not have any non plate mounted blues to try. I might desolder some later.

Offline sixty

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 07:56:53 »
Actual order topic is up here. Please try to keep discussion in this topic here and use the others for orders only. This will make my life easier when organizing the order. Due to my currently very limited internet access I would prefer not having to go through dozens of pages to find new orders.

So, if you announced your interest in this topic, please check to make sure I added you in the other topic. Those who were not sure what they would order yet, please confirm the actual amount.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 08:14:35 »
Quote from: msiegel;258500
i'm not a cherry modder, but i'm here to encourage you... BIG thumbs up, sixty! :D :D

Same sentiments.

Maybe if they came with the cherry switches as well i would have been interested.
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline Supergleep

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 09:18:15 »
Just bought a second Nostromo n52 from ebay to do a Ripster-like Cherry MX conversion with.

Sign me up for 2 sets please. Ghetto-smooth Cherry Reds here I come!

And just to confirm, the ghetto-Red recipe is a Cherry black switch with these springs, yes? (in lieu of the usual blue or brown springs)
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline Lucien

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 09:59:35 »
This is interesting enough to finally drag me out of lurker mode...

Is there a confirmed price yet?  I would definitely be in for one set of these, maybe two but that would depend on the final price.

Offline sixty

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 10:10:44 »
Quote from: Supergleep;260127
Just bought a second Nostromo n52 from ebay to do a Ripster-like Cherry MX conversion with.

Sign me up for 2 sets please. Ghetto-smooth Cherry Reds here I come!

And just to confirm, the ghetto-Red recipe is a Cherry black switch with these springs, yes? (in lieu of the usual blue or brown springs)

They will not be IDENTICAL to Cherry reds, but very very similar in feel. These will have a few more coils and are a tiny bit smoother than the reds. I think the actual force on the real reds is 55g, ours is 50g.

For those that asked: I was not able to calculate out a confirmed price yet, please give me a bit so I can get a new offer based on the orders we have now.

Offline sixty

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 10:41:21 »
Quote from: ripster;260172
45cn.  It's in the wiki but that gets obnoxious saying that all the time.

Yeah but its actually not. That might be the resistance in the assembled switch, but the actual spring resistance is higher.

woody

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 03:51:51 »
Quote from: sixty;260086
I currently do not have any non plate mounted blues to try. I might desolder some later.

Oh, crap. I forgot all the hard work needed for plate mounted switches' disassembly. My Filcos are safe - I am too lazy to try this.
Thumbs up and good luck with the spring order!

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:06:04 »
Hey sixty,
When is the deadline to have orders placed? I'm in the process of grabbing a cherry board this weekend and want to try this out. But want to make sure I obtain the board before I place an order for a set of the springs.

Thanks!
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline sixty

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:07:17 »
Sometime next week, I guess. We should have spare sets for later sales anyway, since I will be covering more of the order to make it possible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:10:05 by sixty »

Offline 2084

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:13:59 »
Can you pop the Steelseries 7G/6Gv2 switches without desoldering or same issue as with Filcos and Duckys?

Offline JBert

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 14:28:10 »
Quote from: sixty;260175
Yeah but its actually not. That might be the resistance in the assembled switch, but the actual spring resistance is higher.
That sounds physically impossible to me...

Sure this is the same switch we are talking about? No room for errors?
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline sixty

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 15:06:35 »
Quote from: JBert;261789
That sounds physically impossible to me...

Sure this is the same switch we are talking about? No room for errors?

No, it is because when the spring is mounted in the switch, the pressure measured is that until the switch triggers (by people like us keyboard maniacs). Spring companies usually measure the resistance needed until the spring entirely collapses, thats why it took quite some time to figure out what we actually needed for a nice smooth spring. When I told them "around 50g" they came up with springs that would never work out in an MX spring.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 15:32:31 »
Springs ain't all that complicated, they just use different units to switches.

Cherry switch might actuate at, say, 60 cN, but the spring has a rate of 10 cN/mm and a relaxed length of 14 mm. Popping it in an MX switch compresses it to 10 mm, so the initial force would be 40 cN. MX travel is 2 mm to actuation, so that's another 20 cN making 60 cN.

I just picked easy numbers, but it looks much like a 'black' spring in my example :)

So yeah, they would understand a '50g' spring to mean a 50 cN/mm spring - 5 times stronger than blacks!

Offline sixty

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 15:36:09 »
Quote from: Soarer;261828

So yeah, they would understand a '50g' spring to mean a 50 cN/mm spring - 5 times stronger than blacks!

Right! That was the actual problem at first. Results were quite hillarious when I attempted to fit one into a switch.

Oh well, by now I learned quite a bit in the two visits to the spring company. I think my next project might be an MX opening tool. Seems these guys can also bend iron wire into shape for mass production.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 15:51:28 »
Quote from: sixty;261830
Right! That was the actual problem at first. Results were quite hillarious when I attempted to fit one into a switch.

I'll bet! I must admit I'm finding the idea of trying to close up a switch with a fifth of a kg (nearly half a pound, for the USians) pushing outwards quite funny!

Quote from: sixty;261830
Oh well, by now I learned quite a bit in the two visits to the spring company. I think my next project might be an MX opening tool. Seems these guys can also bend iron wire into shape for mass production.

Well I for one am glad you did, I'm down for two sets :-)

And the tool idea sounds cool, how many would you need to order?
Would be great to just push the tool down, hear four clicks, then pull. (If that could be made).

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 17:36:26 »
[strike]While we're on custom tools, maybe we could get custom-made Greenlee punches that are H-shaped, sorta. They'd be square, the same size of MX switches, so it'd go through preexisting plate-mount holes, yet also cut out the needed extra material so your MX opening tool go through and remove plate-mounted MX switches, too!

If they were reasonably priced I would desolder my Filco just so I have the ability to swap out springs easier.[/strike]

Or maybe we just get custom plates for entirely new keyboards, since that's always easier. This is where Deck keyboards' plates with long hole-slots per keyrow is superior in design (I can't find a pic).
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 December 2010, 17:42:22 by nanu »

Offline Parak

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 18:25:23 »
Considering how many brown boards I have I'm not too interested in the springs, but I'd be all over the switch disassembly tool :D

Offline symphonic1985

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 10:10:17 »
How is the ordering process coming along - do you have enough people?  So excited to get my hands on these and do some modding.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 11:28:59 »
That disassembly tool could make the modding a lot easier for sure. I would certainly buy one of those.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline sixty

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 02:03:03 »
Order deadline will be this Friday.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 04:31:30 »
Perhaps it would be a good idea to remind people also that they will have to sign up in the order thread. Someone who hasn't re-read the first post, might have missed that. :-)

Btw. Myself, I just got myself a Cherry keyboard with Cherry MX Clears so that I could try them out with light springs to get "a more tactile brown".
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 December 2010, 01:29:43 by Findecanor »

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 06:13:59 »
Quote from: Findecanor;263371
Perhaps it would be a good idea to remind people also that they wioll have to sign up in the order thread. Someone who hasn't re-read the first post, might have missed that. :-)

Btw. Myself, I just got myself a Cherry keyboard with Cherry MX Clears so that I could try them out with light springs to get "a more tactile brown".

You linked this same thread. Also I have only posted on this thread but sixty already listed me on the other thread also. So I think you're OK, if you've signed up in this thread before the other thread was made.

Here's the actual order thread for future orders.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 December 2010, 07:27:01 by db_Iodine »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 14:29:03 »
There... fixed! Thanks!

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 15 December 2010, 20:05:11 »
Props to sixty for starting all this up.

I was originally going to put them in one of my black MX 'boards, but now I'm thinking about hunting down something with clears. Hmmm..

Oh, has anyone considered finding/making a tool specifically for disassembling MX switches?
My pickle fork-based removal tool is okay and all, but I'm thinking of something like an IC extractor that would pop off both sides at the same time...
edit: i see the disassembling tool topic has already been addressed. oops!
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 December 2010, 20:13:20 by PRISONER 24601 »
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 01:07:28 »
+1 for the switch disassembly tool if that helps - no rush.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 02:49:38 »
Order deadline today! I can't wait to get my hands on those springs. I just need to find a used 6gv2 to mod now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline eugenius

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 05:14:51 »
Hmm .. some (lazy) questions:

1. Can I use these springs in the ErgoPlus without desoldering?
2. What do the springs to for Cherry Browns?
3. Can I use these in a TG3/Deck82 / Filco Tenkeyless with blacks without desoldering?
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline sixty

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 05:45:50 »
Quote from: eugenius;264479
Hmm .. some (lazy) questions:

1. Can I use these springs in the ErgoPlus without desoldering?
2. What do the springs to for Cherry Browns?
3. Can I use these in a TG3/Deck82 / Filco Tenkeyless with blacks without desoldering?

1) Yeah
2) Probably not much to nothing at all. These are almost the same resistance as the browns itself.
3) Some Decks/TG3 will work as they are PCB mounted, some will not. Filco definitely a no.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 05:52:11 »
The G80-5000 ErgoPlus has PCB-mounted switches, that you can open if you have a tool for it.
Deck and Filco have plate-mounted switches, that you can not open without desoldering

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 05:55:26 »
Anything that's plate mounted, you're going to have to desolder I think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline eugenius

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 05:57:00 »
Thanks!

I'm interested if the Deck82 that they sell now on the site works ... :)
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline sixty

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 00:22:59 »
I am awaiting the final quote now and will be sending out invoices to everyone within the next week or so, basically as soon as I receive the final amount to pay from the spring company.

Thanks for participating!
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2010, 01:41:57 by sixty »

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 01:40:52 »
Thank you for making stuff like this happen!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 21:29:52 »
How will you be sending invoices?
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline sixty

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 05:34:03 »
Quote from: turbocharged;266508
How will you be sending invoices?

Via Geekhack PM.

UPDATES:

Since the company can't deliver the springs before the 4th week of 2011, I am extending the order deadline until Sunday, 12/26/2010.

The final price will be $15 per 120 springs. My first quote did not include VAT, I got screwed there and so the final price will be the highest original estimate of $15. Anyway, the springs will already come packaged in plastic bags (in quantities of 100).

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 07:47:20 »
Too bad they can't deliver before that. But at the same time it's a great chance for more members to get a set of springs here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline jpc

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 15:46:16 »
Quote from: itlnstln;258620
IBM, in their infinite wisdom, may have picked heavier springs for a reason.

Hahahahahaha. Good one. Oh, I'm a former IBM-er...

I don't know one way or the other whether a lighter BS spring is possible. Would be neat, certainly.

I know from talking to Chuck at Unicomp that the spring alone is not enough. In a BS board, the springs need to be aligned a certain way on the hammers. If you compare any two hammers, and look at the end of the spring opposite the hammer, you'll see that the springs have exactly the same rotation. (This is not true if you look at the end of the spring adjacent to the hammer.)

I'm not sure what exactly Unicomp is controlling for when they assemble these things. I know that if you try to assemble springs and hammers by hand, you won't get the uniform key feel of a stock Model M.

Chuck also mentioned that Unicomp contracts with another company to align the springs and hammers. That's part of their secret sauce, it's surprising that they contract it out.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline msiegel

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 16:02:02 »
Quote from: jpc;267433
look at the end of the spring opposite the hammer, you'll see that the springs have exactly the same rotation

interesting! :)

also confirmed for AT model F.

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 13:57:42 »
I'd be up for some HEAVIER buckling springs :D
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 14:01:12 »
Quote from: Oqsy;268350

More power to ya! In America we are free to be masochistic or w/e.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 15:04:04 »
Quote from: Oqsy;268350

You want to make a geek's finger strength personal trainer keyboard?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 15:06:29 »
I'd be up for something heavier than buckling springs too.

And something a lighter than my modified MY switches (20g), but that's just me :biggrin:.

Quick note for Sixty:
Dammit, your website needs RSS :P
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 December 2010, 15:10:09 by HaaTa »
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline sixty

« Reply #98 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 09:15:28 »
Quote from: HaaTa;268383

Quick note for Sixty:
Dammit, your website needs RSS :P

I do have a hacked-up custom RSS script running:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/keyboardporn

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 10:44:22 »
sign me up for one set
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]