Author Topic: The Geekhack Glossary  (Read 129353 times)

Offline BlueBär

Re: The Geekhack Glossary
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 04:35:19 »
I also noted that "Tenkeyless [TKL, 80%]" = "A keyboard layout without a numpad." defines 80%, but 80% does not have its own entry at the top of the list.

This is on purpose as "tenkeyless" is a lot more common than "80%". I can add a "see tenkeyless" though.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:24:10 »
What does NIB mean? New in box?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:44:01 »
What does NIB mean? New in box?

Usually, yes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:31:52 »
Added NIB.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:35:00 »
Added NIB.

Although that's not really something specific to GH - eBay sellers use it all the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:42:10 »
Although that's not really something specific to GH - eBay sellers use it all the time.

Agreed - but we have MOQ, GLWS, WTB etc. in the glossary too, so I think it should be in it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:55:22 »
Fair enough.

Btw "Geekhack" is not listed.

Possible definitionfrom iMav: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49088.0

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:11:58 »

That's where the name of the site comes from and what the name "Geekhack" means - the explanation of what "Geekhack" is, is this forum and its community. I don't think it fits to be honest. Compare it to the entries for Deskthority or KBDMania for example.

However maybe we should do a newki entry called "The History of Geekhack" - thats where it would fit perfectly. There's one on the old wiki but it just contains links to esoomena and the mystery keycap...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:14:17 »

That's where the name of the site comes from and what the name "Geekhack" means - the explanation of what "Geekhack" is, is this forum and its community. I don't think it fits to be honest. Compare it to the entries for Deskthority or KBDMania for example.

However maybe we should do a newki entry called "The History of Geekhack" - thats where it would fit perfectly. There's one on the old wiki but it just contains links to esoomena and the mystery keycap...

That's a good idea - the mystery keycaps, new moderators, r00tw0rm, perma-banned members, all that makes up GH folklore and should be recorded somewhere for posterity.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:16:46 »
That's a good idea - the mystery keycaps, new moderators, r00tw0rm, perma-banned members, all that makes up GH folklore and should be recorded somewhere for posterity.

Feel free to start a thread here ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:35:49 »

Feel free to start a thread here ;)

I shall leave that to a Keeper of the Faith (to give it a more authentic feel) :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:44:26 »
Should add in rubberdome or RD. What's a good definition for it though?

RDOMS
rubber dome over membrane switch

i think imav came up with that one
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:50:33 »
I shall leave that to a Keeper of the Faith (to give it a more authentic feel) :)

It's late but I'll start a thread tomorrow if nobody does in the meantime.

RDOMS
rubber dome over membrane switch

i think imav came up with that one

Thanks, added.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 27 December 2013, 01:51:03 »

Anyone? :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 03:26:52 »
What about Ducky limited edition keyboard abbreviations:

YotS - Year of the Snake - full size backlit keyboard with aluminium case top and snake space bar, released 2013
YotD - Year of the Dragon - TKL backlit keyboard with black case and new backlighting modes, released 2012
YotR - Year of the Rabbit - full size non-backlit keyboard with white case and PBT keycaps, released 2011
YotT - Year of the Tiger, full size non-backlit keyboard with black case and PBT keycaps, released 2010
YotB - Year of the Bull, released 2009

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 07:46:41 »

I'm not so sure about this one. I feel like the GH lore is part of getting to know the community. Seems to cheapen the experience if there's just a thread about all of the stories.

What about Ducky limited edition keyboard abbreviations:

YotS - Year of the Snake - full size backlit keyboard with aluminium case top and snake space bar, released 2013
YotD - Year of the Dragon - TKL backlit keyboard with black case and new backlighting modes, released 2012
YotR - Year of the Rabbit - full size non-backlit keyboard with white case and PBT keycaps, released 2011
YotT - Year of the Tiger, full size non-backlit keyboard with black case and PBT keycaps, released 2010
YotB - Year of the Bull, released 2009

I like this idea.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 14:01:44 »
Yot*s added.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:18:58 »

I'm not so sure about this one. I feel like the GH lore is part of getting to know the community. Seems to cheapen the experience if there's just a thread about all of the stories.

Your point is valid, and would provide new members with a sense of belonging as they learn the lore and history.

OTOH how many people actually read this sort of stuff before asking questions?

Also it would provide a handy reference and, ideally, links to the relevant posts for noobs like me :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 18:45:48 »
One to add ...

GID = Glow In the Dark

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 18:52:27 »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 21:44:52 »
What about dibs? I see this mentioned often.. then googled it and found out its a slang!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 03:24:03 »
What about dibs? I see this mentioned often.. then googled it and found out its a slang!

Added! I never really looked up its specific meaning before ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 03:27:28 »
1st rule of dibs, do not talk about dibs!

Rule 8 from CC himself.

:D

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 03:44:57 »
:eek:

What do I do now? Burn my only CC as a ritual to wash my sins off my soul?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 03:53:11 »
You can give it to me. I don't have any Clacks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 04:07:25 »
:eek:

What do I do now? Burn my only CC as a ritual to wash my sins off my soul?

I think that generic definition should be fine (although CC would have the last say).  The main thing is not to say where dibs come from or what to do with them.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 04:20:34 »
I think that generic definition should be fine (although CC would have the last say).  The main thing is not to say where dibs come from or what to do with them.

Phew, I'm glad that I can keep it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 04:29:12 »

Phew, I'm glad that I can keep it.

CC has the final say :p

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 04:46:28 »

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:01:21 »
Deck keyboards, TG3 electronics, would you want to add korean keyboards as well and some info?
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:07:15 »
Deck keyboards, TG3 electronics, would you want to add korean keyboards as well and some info?

Hm. Is it worth putting all the Korean stuff here or should there be another thread that compiles all of that. What do you think would be easier for people to refer to?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:17:41 »
Maybe we should make a thread that collects custom keyboards? I could put in a short definiton for korean customs though.

Edit: Oh and I could need some help with TG3 and Deck, Deck is a brand of TG3 Electronics, right?
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:23:51 by BlueBär »

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:37:51 »

Hm. Is it worth putting all the Korean stuff here or should there be another thread that compiles all of that. What do you think would be easier for people to refer to?

It could be easier to have a Custom Keyboards section that could include ongoing projects from GH as well as older Korean customs. TG3 is the parent company for Deck keyboards, TG3 offers alot more variety of electronics whereas, Deck is more or less their gaming logo for keyboards.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 16:25:05 »
Added definitions for Deck, TG3 and Korean customs. Definitions are not perfect, feel free to suggest improvements.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:11:03 »
Added definitions for Deck and TG3

On the Deck website, it seems like they want their keyboards to be known as a backlit gaming board.

On the TG3 website, they advertise themselves as "...a leading supplier of engineered input solutions". They sell their input devices to the "...medical, industrial, point of sale, military, mobile data, telecommunications, white goods, and gaming..." marketplaces.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:51:35 »
I could change TG3 to "An input device manufacturer that is also the parent company of Deck." if that suits it better.

However I think I should actually reduce the Deck entry to just "A keyboard manufacturer" since I used that already a couple of times and didn't expand any other entries on what kind of keyboards they produce.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:53:30 »
I think that will be fine.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:57:24 »
Might be worth adding links to GMK & BSP websites since there are lots of companies with those names :
http://www.bspeurope.dk/home.html
http://www.gmk-electronic-design.de/en.html

Also,
BNIB : Abbreviation for "brand new in box".
NOS : Abbreviation for "new-old stock" - unsold stock of a product that is no longer produced.

Will try and post some more here soon.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 14:12:49 »
Might be worth adding links to GMK & BSP websites since there are lots of companies with those names :
http://www.bspeurope.dk/home.html
http://www.gmk-electronic-design.de/en.html

Added your definitions, thanks!
However I did not add the links, I kind of want to keep it link-free (it currently only contains two links to pictures). The entries for both BSP and GMK include the full name of the companies - searching for those gets you directly to the websites.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:55:41 »
APL?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:01:35 »
APL?
I was just thinking the same thing :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:01:48 »
Added ;)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:20:46 »
Added ;)

Thanks! Also, we probably need YotH now. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:22:57 »
Thanks! Also, we probably need YotH now. :D

I will add it once it exists :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 13:52:49 »
Can you add PMK for PimpMyKeyboards? The SP offshoot site?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 03:32:30 »
Done. Could expand the definition, idk.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:22:55 »
necro!

Code: [Select]
[tr]
[td][b]battleship, battlecruiser[/b][/td]
[td]a keyboard bigger than full-size, often with 122 keys[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b]BS[/b][/td]
[td]Buckling Spring, a clicky spring-over-membrane key mechanism, typically found on IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp keyboards[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b]IC[/b][/td]
[td]Interest Check, a survey to get idea, if there is interest in a product or group buy[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b]MD[/b][/td]
[td]Massdrop, a commercial vendor that organizes sales similar to group buys[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b]POS[/b][/td]
[td]Point of Sale, used to reference cash register keyboards[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][b]SSK[/b][/td]
[td]Space Saving Keyboard, a tenkeyless buckling-spring keyboard originally from IBM[/td]
[/tr]
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:35:55 by davkol »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:07:05 »
Those are great, I'll add them later :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:12:19 »
Just added them

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:52:37 »
Is it time to add MCS = Modular Cap System yet?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69433.0