Author Topic: The Geekhack Glossary  (Read 129348 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: The Geekhack Glossary
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:18:19 »
EDIT

Here is another

How about this one, when someone wants to know why you didn't reply fast enough

SRYIHD2GOP

GLWG260P2D

Did your head fall on your keyboard by accident? :))
What is that supposed to be?

Oh it's new, I just made it up actually

GLWG260P2D

'Good luck with getting to 60 posts today'

AND I was not serious :p

but feel free to use it either way

DANG IT SLOW INTERNET AND I GET NINJA'd

Good luck with getting to 60 posts today.

^^ +1 this, jd knows whats up
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:22:02 by SpAmRaY »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:22:50 »
:'(

*pats head*

I think if we get to a point where we would need that abbreviation we dun goofed...

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 09:55:03 »
If u added 60%, u could also add 110% and others!

Yeah it took few days to learn GH slang  :p and when i saw this thread...
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:20:33 »
If u added 60%, u could also add 110% and others!

Yeah it took few days to learn GH slang  :p and when i saw this thread...

Commonly, there are 60%, 80% (86/87/88, or TKL), and Full-size (104/105). Also my 40% haha.

110% is something sprit made up to describe extra keys on a full-size. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:23:49 »
Don't forget 75%. Also, even though there's boards like the FC660 that are slightly larger than 60% I don't like adding a specific percentage for those. It just makes it overly complicated imo.

Offline catbuster

• Fusion is Future
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 15:41:23 »
CONUS - took me some time to get it as i am from Europe :)
Poker 2 (black) 60% mx red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:24:46 »

I think that gets most of us who are not from America!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:26:35 »

Your not from America? :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:35:31 »

No - there are other countries in the world ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:37:26 »

Your not from America? :o

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 16:43:09 »

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 08:53:42 »

Show Image

^^ Wonder if I can get that for my office wall.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:01:14 »
I noticed Costar was mentioned, but not iOne.  Make sure to mention their inferiority in the definition...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Belfong

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 09:01:53 »
I notice this is not in the glossary:

EK for elitekeyboards.com a keyboard retailer?

PD for paid - is it? Saw it a few times, not sure what it means.

Offline BlueBär

Re: The Geekhack Dictionary
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:23:55 »
I noticed Costar was mentioned, but not iOne.  Make sure to mention their inferiority in the definition...
I'm NOT a fan of the shine discussion here. This should just explain what the phrases mean. Can we edit that out of ABS, PBT, and POM?

This list should be objective as possible and not be leading.

...so I added a neutral definition.

PD for paid - is it? Saw it a few times, not sure what it means.

Never saw PD. Do people really need an abbreviation for four letters? :-X

All others were added.

^^ Wonder if I can get that for my office wall.

http://www.zazzle.com/the_world_according_to_the_usa_print-228793885152159869 :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:25:44 »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:37:08 »
That is so awesome!!!! Thanks bluebar!

Not only Cpt can grant wishes :))

Offline elllit

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 13:40:16 »
Glossary? Awesome!

I got a suggestion: There are several stores and other sites mentioned. Could you add a link to those sites? I mean... if you get the information about something you were looking for and then have to look for a link somewhere else seems like a hassle ;) (even if it might be as trivial as using a search engine).

It could also be a link inside the forum such as the "all keycaps site list" thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45672.0

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:26:39 »
I got a suggestion: There are several stores and other sites mentioned. Could you add a link to those sites? I mean... if you get the information about something you were looking for and then have to look for a link somewhere else seems like a hassle ;) (even if it might be as trivial as using a search engine).

It could also be a link inside the forum such as the "all keycaps site list" thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45672.0

Maybe a collection of vendors would be something, but I don't know if I want to add links in the glossary. It really takes just a second to search for a site.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 06:29:34 »
I think that there's already a great list of vendors showcased by the Keycaps thread and in /r/mech. We could point to those lists but I'm also not sure if this is the thread to do so.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:42:11 »
I think that there's already a great list of vendors showcased by the Keycaps thread and in /r/mech. We could point to those lists but I'm also not sure if this is the thread to do so.

I kinda saw this thread as a lit of words and abbreviations used on GH that might confuse new members or not really be relevant outside the GH community.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 17:46:07 »
rowdy that's how I'm seeing this thread as well.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 10:46:26 »
You know what would be better? A photo of tsangan and moogle or winkeyless kits. The words described in the glossary are fine but I don't think it clearly illustrate until a photo is shown.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 10:55:41 »
Find a picture of the tsangan, moogle, and winkeyless kits that you think best illustrates them and I'll be happy to add them to the glossary Belfong.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 11:24:33 »
Simple questions has one in the FAQ, but doesn't show the short shift.

Edit: Wait, theres another one, I'll link that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 November 2013, 11:26:51 by BlueBär »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 21:58:23 »
Find a picture of the tsangan, moogle, and winkeyless kits that you think best illustrates them and I'll be happy to add them to the glossary Belfong.
Ok, I'll look for them. Question: are we concerned about copyright? If yes, I'll ask the original poster for permission before we put in the glossary. I don't have any of these kits, unfortunately.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 00:34:37 »
I make is a personal policy that all the pictures I post will have a link giving credit; check out this link. You should give credit and then if you want, you can PM the OP. I usually just link without asking with the policy that if they ask me to take the picture down, I will.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:36:51 »
I make is a personal policy that all the pictures I post will have a link giving credit; check out this link. You should give credit and then if you want, you can PM the OP. I usually just link without asking with the policy that if they ask me to take the picture down, I will.

You are a Keeper of the Faith - you are entitled to do that!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 03:14:06 »

This for tsangan kit
http://keypop.bigcartel.com/product/bumblebee-set-tsangan-kit-winkeyless

For Moogle kit, I thought the one here by Ovoxo is quite good - his Moogle kit from Round 2:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31409.0

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 05:05:36 »
As I said I already have linked a Tsangan kit picture, but I added the picture of the Moogle kit. Thanks!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 08:54:37 »
Ok, are these good for glossary especially when you come into GH now when the GB are over: Miami, Hyperfuse, GON, GH60, Round 4 and Round 5 and whatnot. I'm still not sure what exactly is GON and IMSTO. Ha ha.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 08:59:53 »
Ok, are these good for glossary especially when you come into GH now when the GB are over: Miami, Hyperfuse, Round 4 and Round 5 and whatnot.

Check this out for Keycap GBs. I'd rather put the GBs over there.

I'm still not sure what exactly is GON and IMSTO. Ha ha.

Ever scroll down on the main GeekHack page and go look at "Vendor Forums" and all the sub-forums underneath that section? GON and IMSTO are right there.

The glossary is mainly for terms and acronyms people don't understand while they read through threads. You still need to read threads though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:50:33 »
Should add in rubberdome or RD. What's a good definition for it though?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:51:30 »
rubberdome- nope

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 16:08:11 »

And BS - buckling spring, for that matter.

RD - robber dome keyboard, where each keypress deforms a rubber dome causing contact between the PCB and a conductive pad under the rubber dome.  Commonly used in keyboards packaged with systems.
BS - buckling spring - a switch technology where a physical spring buckles as the keycap is pressed down, causing an electrical contact to be made.  Common in older IBM and recent Unicomp keyboards.

Both a bit verbose, I know.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:35:24 »
What is bling? I see this mentioned in Clacks and Brobot.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 07:41:42 »

American slang for something shiny like jewelry. Not really keyboard related per se.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 08:58:31 »
Ahhh, thanks!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 15:37:12 »

American slang for something shiny like jewelry. Not really keyboard related per se.

Not really keyboard related, but ... http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35288.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:33:58 »
Should we add in TKL/75%/60%/40% here or should I add it to the OP of Simple Questions? I think there's some confusion. Do we need it at all?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:36:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:00:08 »
Should we add in TKL/75%/60%/40% here or should I add it to the OP of Simple Questions? I think there's some confusion. Do we need it at all?

It's already in the glossary. I don't mind it being in two places if you want to add it to the SQ thread, but I think it kinda fits in the glossary.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:02:39 »
Ha, that'll teach me to not reread. Thanks BlueBar. Carry on :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:26:20 »

Could be added why it is called 75% - has 75% the keys on a full-size board ...

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:48:43 »

Isn't that kind of obvious?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:52:53 »
Yes

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:54:52 »

Not necessarily.  People might assume it is 75% the physical case size, whereas it is actually based on the number of switches.  Isn't it?  LOL

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:55:12 »
Yes

It's already in the glossary. I don't mind it being in two places if you want to add it to the SQ thread, but I think it kinda fits in the glossary.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 19:19:39 »

Not necessarily.  People might assume it is 75% the physical case size, whereas it is actually based on the number of switches.  Isn't it?  LOL

Hm, I think we'll leave it as is for now. If there's more input/opinions on this, please let us know. And we'll make a decision accordingly.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 19:36:05 »

OK I added a general note for percentages and changed 60% slightly since that is kind of an excpetion. I think this is a good compromise, please tell me what you think.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 21:04:37 »

OK I added a general note for percentages and changed 60% slightly since that is kind of an excpetion. I think this is a good compromise, please tell me what you think.

Looking good :)

I also noted that "Tenkeyless [TKL, 80%]" = "A keyboard layout without a numpad." defines 80%, but 80% does not have its own entry at the top of the list.