Author Topic: Kill the Caps Lock?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline Philth

Kill the Caps Lock?
« on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 11:27:22 »
Thought this would be an appropriate forum to share this interesting read:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2012/02/caps_lock_has_to_go_and_other_proposals_for_improving_the_computer_keyboard.html

I disagree with killing he caps lock. I, personally, use it quite frequently. I do however like the idea of an em-dash key.

Thoughts, opinions?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 11:32:04 »
I've never really seen the point of a dedicated key for CAPS. Even when typing multiple letters in caps I tend to press shift. Never got why they didn't keep using shift as shift lock, like typewriters used to. A perfect use for those Cherry latching switches. There were a few old Apple and other keyboards in the early days that were like that.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 11:44:14 »
I think the caps lock is useless as well. I remapped this key to backspace.

Offline pitashen

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 11:44:29 »
My thought -> do whatever works for you
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 12:14:17 »
I hate caps lock. Always turn it on by accident.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 12:26:45 »
Have been using CapsLock remapped to Left Control for a while now, and I really like it. Now that I have a useless Left Control, I'm gonna try mapping that to BackSpace.

Offline canthonytucci

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 12:30:22 »
Quote from: daerid;506440
Have been using CapsLock remapped to Left Control for a while now, and I really like it. Now that I have a useless Left Control, I'm gonna try mapping that to BackSpace.

I use the useless L Control as the hotkey for Awesome Window Manager, something similar could be done if you're an XMonad User

(just noticed in the pic at the site that the guy has a filco!)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline whiskerBox

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 12:35:51 »
CAPS LOCK SHOULD BE CHANGED TO SHOUT! I WAS VERY SAD WHEN THIS OPTION WAS DROPPED FROM ROUND 4 :(
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
    • http://www2.b3ta.com/mind-control/
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 12:52:54 »
Never mind the capslock, I just wish people would switch to Dvorak.

Offline commandercup

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:00:38 »
I too wish that capslock was dead so that all computers could default to having the caps lock key as something more useful. The only thing that stops me from switching to Dvorak/Colemak is that all computers default to Qwerty (Colemak has to be installed, Dvorak moves the brackets and punctuation to weird places).

Offline sordna

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:15:06 »
I will have to disagree, I find Caps Lock very useful, and ergonomic. I use it whenever I have to hit 2 or more capital letters in a row. I do agree that Shift Lock would be better, so I would be able to type symbols in a row.

By the way the typing champion Sean Wrona uses Caps Lock even to type 1 capital leter in a word! It's fascinating, but it's really faster for him to hit Caps Lock twice, than coordinating pushing 2 keys at the same time when he's flying at 200WPM.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?25711-proper-touch-typing&p=483599&viewfull=1#post483599
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:20:06 »
Rather than the minor changes to (logical) keyboard layouts laid out in the article I'd vote for fixing the physical layout, namely getting rid of the staggered rows on keyboards. They are a relict from the mechanical typewriter era and totally out of place on a computer keyboard, yet even touch screen keyboards have stagger.
Staggered rows might be OK for the right hand, but for the left hand they're unhealthy/awkward/... If you ever found typing on a numpad comfortable you've already proven to yourself that typing on a matrix layout works well. Even better than matrix layout would be finger length adjusted staggered columns rather than staggered rows.

As for caps lock, I don't have or need one (see custom layout in sig).

Rant over, I'll go back to the ergonomic subforums now. ;)
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:24:00 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline sordna

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:37:14 »
Couldn't agree more! Most geekhackers are endlessly discussing switches, paying big money for keycaps, etc but keep using the HORRIBLY STUPID staggered / asymmetric zig-zag layout of keys. It's like discussing dressing up a donkey, when they could be driving race cars.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:43:58 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline REVENGE

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 13:40:10 »
Quote from: sordna;506504
Most geekhackers are...paying big money...dressing up a donkey...
/outofcontext
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline lowkey

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 15:07:04 »
Quote from: angry gamer;506457
Never mind the capslock, I just wish people would switch to Dvorak.

Looks like you misspelled Colemak.  I'll forgive ya this time, though.

Offline TomiKazi

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 16:34:11 »
Not for me. I simply like the possibility of easily entering all-caps with a physical switch, whether it is a common thing to do or not. It could be perhaps an idea to switch the backspace and the caps lock locations, but for me, it's unnecessary. Without a caps lock button, it's just not complete for me.

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:44:22 »
Every keyboard I have I remove the Caps Lock keycap because I always hit it when I don't want to. People complaing about hitting the Windows key while gaming, but I've never done that, but I do hit the caps key every 10 minutes if I don't have it removed.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:45:51 »
Quote from: Hydroid;507035
Every keyboard I have I remove the Caps Lock keycap because I always hit it when I don't want to. People complaing about hitting the Windows key while gaming, but I've never done that, but I do hit the caps key every 10 minutes if I don't have it removed.

Its just useless to me. = /

Also never hit windows randomly.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Brodie337

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:54:34 »
I have caps lock set to control, but I Autohotkey set to turn on capslock with a double tap on either shift key.

Offline Tony

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 February 2012, 00:03:01 »
You can have the best of both worlds. I set Capslock to Backspace, and make Control-Capslock act as Capslock with this AutoHotkey script:
^Backspace::Capslock

Therefore I have a new Backspace, and I can still use Capslock to type UPPERCASE if I want to.

Btw, I use Colemak layout

Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline keyboardnoob

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 February 2012, 00:23:49 »
The windows key is very annoying especially when you play fps and you click quickly on ctrl to crouch but you accidentally hit the windows' key and you die. A lot of people I knew from Counter-Strike disabled the windows key in the registry.
Filco MJ1 TKL MX Brown

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 February 2012, 00:26:13 »
Capslock isn't all that big a deal (mine's remapped to backspace too).  It's the sodding ; key on qwerty's home row that's the real crime.  

Funnily enough, I'm always bemused at the fuss about locking out the win key while.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 08:51:29 »
Quote from: keyboardnoob;507069
The windows key is very annoying especially when you play fps and you click quickly on ctrl to crouch but you accidentally hit the windows' key and you die. A lot of people I knew from Counter-Strike disabled the windows key in the registry.

I hate it too, theres also a little file you can download from microsofts site that does it automatically. I did it recently. Have no use for it really.

Offline noGG

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 10:58:10 »
Honestly, I don't think I'd miss the caps lock key if it was gone. Sure, it's handy to have when you need to express your e-rage but I find myself using shift if I really have to have things in caps, which isn't that often. I'd much rather have a second backspace than a caps lock key.

Offline RedTed

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:10:25 »
There is some useful advice here. I have resisted mapping the capslock to backspace both because my right hand is already trained to do all the deleting and because I am afraid that I will start SHOUTING instead of deleting if I ever work on someone else's keyboard. At the moment I have the capslock key mapped to "advance media" because I work with the music player going and I like being able to skip to the next song without having to find the music player window or even take my hands out of typing position.

Now if only I could type faster - but that is a different problem.
Filco Majestouch 2 Brown | Homebuilt AMD desktop running Windows 7

Offline Disposable Hero

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:21:12 »
I to hate Caps Lock...I mean really.... how often do you really need to type all caps?? I'd rather they use the key for something more useful or at least be able to lock it out...I'm always accidently hitting it while typing only to find out 3 sentences later that it's all caps....arrgh! :mad:

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:21:43 »
Being a emacs user I remapped it to ctrl. I like it for all other occasions requiring ctrl as well. Firefox got a lot of ctrl commandos, as well as every other program I suppose... Keep hitting caps lock all the time on other's keyboards though =P

And if I ever actually needed caps lock I would much rather have it a bit harder to activate. Perhaps pressing both shifts or something..

Offline bbbbqq

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:22:16 »
How about making it a .com enter button ? Instead of pressing those five keys every time you want to view a website, maybe it'd be easier to make a button to do that

Offline volund

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:22:47 »
only time I used CapsLk on a regular basis was when I was doing COBOL..... thank god that is over....
Quickfire Rapid with Cherry white on black doubleshots
Keyboard rest by The_Beast

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 16:04:56 »
Is there a way to disable the caps lock but keep using it as a hotkey/regular key?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline pyro

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 17:21:28 »
You can remap Capslock to anything.
Use xmodmap in Linux, autohotkey in Windows.

Offline IronDoc

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 17:23:47 »
Ctrl + return does this on chrome and probably firefox.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 17:24:15 »
To really remap I don't like autohotkey. It dosen't work in a lot of games and some other software. To really remap in windows, go to the registry, of if that is scary to you use sharpkeys.

Offline Supertoaster

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 17:28:09 »
I like to use caps lock instead of Shift when I write my capital letters.

Offline fstop

Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 19:04:13 »
What are you guys talking about, I always use caps lock!

Its the push-to-talk key on vent duh :)
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 01:01:28 »
I think Caps Lock has it's uses. It can be nice if I am on a rant. I personally remapped it to Backspace, Scroll Lock to Caps Lock, and R Alt to Scroll Lock.

For game playing, I think remapping Caps Lock and L Windows is a must. That's where WASD and SharpKeys come in! :cell:
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Kill the Caps Lock?
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 16:14:46 »
In Linux, I activate the seldom-if-ever used caps lock function to "Press both shift keys".  Easy to remember.  I guess I don't yell on the Interwebz too much.  I'll maybe use it when entering a lots of HEX values in C code or something.

I always liked the placement of Ctrl on older UNIX workstations, like Sun.  It's easier on my pinky.  I randomly switch back and forth between the "real" Ctrl and Caps Lock though (prolly from using other people's keyboards), so I have them both as left Ctrl.  I map "Command" to Caps Lock on my MacBook.  It helps me hate the Mac layout a little less.
Russ