Author Topic: Microsoft Natural Elite Mechanical?  (Read 12638 times)

Offline Pyksel

Microsoft Natural Elite Mechanical?
« on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 18:31:06 »
Good day all, first time poster/visitor here.

I've been reading the forums over the last week or so and I am either just not search savvy enough or it just doesn't exist but as the title of my post suggests, I am looking for something equivalent to the MS Natural Elite but with mechanical vs membrane technology.

My reasons for searching for this keyboard should it exist in some fashion, are not only due to the overall zero/negative tilt, wave style, psuedo-split design but also due to the placement and size of the modifier keys that I use for gaming such as "ctrl" and "alt". The alt key on the MS Natural is almost directly vertically underneath the "d" key which means less travel time and bending of the thumb to reach it. Most of the other keyboards that I have tested have a small "alt" key, and the location is quite a bit offset to the left of the keyboard requiring an even greater angled bend of the thumb which is uncomfortable to me.

Does Microsoft or an equivalent vendor have anything similar to the original MS Natural Elite in a mechanical format or perhaps an alternative wave/pseudo-split with larger, right justified, alt keys?

Offline redpill

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 June 2011, 23:56:29 »
Hi Pyksel, welcome to GH.  There are a number of split-ergo keyboards.  Most don't exactly have the same curved shape of a MS Ergo.  They tend either be flat and split, or super funky like a the Kinesis or the Maltron.  Search for either of those terms and you'll see what I mean.  As an intermediary, a number of folks are looking forward to the Truly Ergonomic keyboard, but they are an upstart and have yet to deliver their first board (see the thread on them here, or visit their website, trulyergonomic.com).  Part of it depends on how far out of the box you want to go in terms of layout.  It also depends on what your priorities are for ergonomics.  There are a number of issues involved with keyboards, some of them have to do with hand position, and others have to do with key action.  Some comprehensive ergo boards like Kinesis and Maltron deal with both, but they are not cheap, and may not be necessary for everyone.

I've used MS Natural keyboards for years, and I do like the split layout, but eventually the rubber dome switches really bothered me.  Since I've gone down the mechanical path I've found the feel of the switches actually keeps my hands better engaged in the typing process and alleviates a lot of physical typing stress associated with pounding on rubber domes.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 09:59:25 »
yea there is nothing that matches the ms 4k ergo (i modded my own), the 4k ergo has a split incline towards the middle that i believe no manufacturer has, it's that slight incline that is nice, along with having a very nice built in wrist rest. I have never tried one myself but many have said the kinesis like redpill has said comes close to being a very good split ergo.

Offline Pyksel

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 12:00:03 »
Aside from just the split design, what about keyboards that increase the size of the alt key and offset it a bit more to the right?

Offline redpill

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 12:06:33 »
Left alt or right alt?   I can't think of any that are going to have an Alt key as large as the one on the MS Ergo boards.  Maybe if you find a model without a Windows key the alt key would be bigger?  Not sure.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Pyksel

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 15:59:05 »
Quote from: redpill;361199
Left alt or right alt?   I can't think of any that are going to have an Alt key as large as the one on the MS Ergo boards.  Maybe if you find a model without a Windows key the alt key would be bigger?  Not sure.

Sorry I should have clarified, the left alt and I agree that it's been next to impossible finding one as large as the MS Ergo boards. I feel as though I've been tainted/spoiled by this keyboard. Alas, if it were only mechanical!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 June 2011, 22:26:45 »
how about remapping a not so used key like capslock to alt, either through autohotkey or if you decide to go mechanical, hardwired.

Offline Agiel

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 06:55:27 »
The large alt keys is the only reason I still keep a Natural 4000 around. It's way more comfortable than my Filco (ignoring the switches), especially when typing a lot of special characters using alt gr. I really wish more keyboards had shorter space bars going from C to M.

Putting alt gr on caps lock would be an option if I hadn't already put backspace there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline siouxscout

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 15:43:06 »
Love my MS Natural 4k, shape and the great wrist pad. It is still my fav keyboard even with the rubber domes, but cherry switches on a natural 4k would be a dream come true.

I currently still carry mine back and forth to work ahaha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 June 2011, 15:48:00 »
There is a good mod here making that keyboard into a mechanical. It's pretty decent and takes advantage of the positive points of that keyboard. Search the "modifications" sub-forum
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~