Author Topic: IBM MODEL M13 USB Board?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline DotMatrixMoe

IBM MODEL M13 USB Board?
« on: Sun, 30 May 2021, 15:41:33 »
As the name suggests, I'm looking for a place where I can get a USB controller board for my Model M13. I wish to use it as my daily driver, simply because of its track point and glorious buckling springs. If anyone can at least link me to a reliable Y PS/2 to USB adapter, I'd appreciate it. Thought you guys would know a thing or two.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM MODEL M13 USB Board?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 06:34:47 »
Do you mean the internal board or a converter for plugging in PS/2 -> USB ?  For the latter, the mouse is forgiving, the passthru adapters usually work fine, and you can try your luck with a cheap Y splitter for both and you may get away with that.  If not, good ol' blue cube.  This is what it looks like, people have some other favorites as well:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Converter

If you're looking for the internal controller for an M13, contact Unicomp. 

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 09:53:48 »
Do you mean the internal board or a converter for plugging in PS/2 -> USB ?  For the latter, the mouse is forgiving, the passthru adapters usually work fine, and you can try your luck with a cheap Y splitter for both and you may get away with that.  If not, good ol' blue cube.  This is what it looks like, people have some other favorites as well:

A pass through adapter? Those things don't work at all!
As you said... the active Y cables work just fine.
Maybe you meant an active USB to PS/2 adapter like this:
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2021, 09:56:29 by Snowdog993 »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 10:03:30 »

For the mouse?  The hell they don't.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 10:56:18 »

I was looking for either an adapter or a modernized USB controller board. I highly doubt there's anything like that on the market, but I'll take my chances. I'm kind of on a budget, so if I can't afford a whole board... I'd like if you guys would send me the most reliable Y adapter on the market.

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 14:25:47 »
I'll look into the blue cube, but they're not easy to find these days  :confused: I just contacted Unicomp, so hopefully they got something to say about this. Are you sure a passive adapter would be fine for a PS/2 mouse?
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 May 2021, 19:19:59 by DotMatrixMoe »

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 18:55:39 »
Got my response from Unicomp. Pretty underwhelming, so I guess an adapter is the only option. As I said before, best combo for a Model M13?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 21:44:46 »

M13. Two PS/2 ports.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 06:26:17 »

M13. Two PS/2 ports.

You mean plugs.  I've very familiar with M13's.

You can run the mouse plug thru a passthru and the keyboard one thru a cube (or other similar).  I've done it.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 06:38:44 »
I was looking for either an adapter or a modernized USB controller board. I highly doubt there's anything like that on the market, but I'll take my chances. I'm kind of on a budget, so if I can't afford a whole board... I'd like if you guys would send me the most reliable Y adapter on the market.

Unfortunately I haven't bought one for a long long time, and when I did I got the cheapest thing I could find and it worked great for years.  Then as I upgraded machines the newer ones had issues and I switched to a cube for the keyboard.  That's never not worked.   

You may just want to try something cheap from Amazon (which has a great return policy) and see what kind of results you get.

Hopefully someone with more recent purchase experience with these can give you a particular item that works well.

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 06:53:39 »

Unfortunately I haven't bought one for a long long time, and when I did I got the cheapest thing I could find and it worked great for years.  Then as I upgraded machines the newer ones had issues and I switched to a cube for the keyboard.  That's never not worked.   

You may just want to try something cheap from Amazon (which has a great return policy) and see what kind of results you get.

Hopefully someone with more recent purchase experience with these can give you a particular item that works well.
Thanks guys, finding a blue cube won't be easy, but I know for sure I can find a passthrough in no time. Thanks for the help! I'll keep this thread unlocked in case anyone wants to butt in.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 13:06:24 »
I guess my picture doesn't say 1000 words.
You can find the adapter like I have pictured right there for about 8 bucks on Amazon or Ebay or wherever.
I give up.

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 20:24:45 »
You can find the adapter like I have pictured right there for about 8 bucks on Amazon or Ebay or wherever.
I give up.
Oh, I know what you mean... but all sellers of those adapters have tons of reviews stating that it randomly disconnects or comes faulty. Being on a tight budget, I'm not taking any chances. Sorry if you felt ignored, should've told you sooner.  ^-^

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 22:51:25 »
I give up.
Oh, I know what you mean... but all sellers of those adapters have tons of reviews stating that it randomly disconnects or comes faulty. Being on a tight budget, I'm not taking any chances. Sorry if you felt ignored, should've told you sooner.  ^-^
I will tell you, I have one of these and it works just fine.
You guys just can't take my word for it?
I have to PROVE everything all the time?
I GIVE UP!

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 23:47:36 »
I had one of those exact adapters and used it extensively with my M13 years ago, they do work, never had a hiccup. Still have it packed with my M13.

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 06:59:00 »
I give up.
I will tell you, I have one of these and it works just fine.
You guys just can't take my word for it?
I have to PROVE everything all the time?
I GIVE UP!
Hehe I'll take your word for it  ;D
But I'm coming right back to this thread if it doesn't work.
(Do you also have a link)

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 08:31:40 »
Okay, so I researched the photo of the adapter. I think a company called "TOP LONGER" makes those things. So now it's in my cart, I'm hoping to purchase it by the end of today. Thanks guys!

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 17:39:21 »
I have several Model M13s and can confirm this converter works fine with them: https://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIPRO-401-PS2-Adapter-Built/dp/B008DFVQFW/. I've been using two of them for almost two years without any issues.

Got my response from Unicomp. Pretty underwhelming, so I guess an adapter is the only option. As I said before, best combo for a Model M13?
I'm not surprised. With the exception of the Mini M, all Unicomp keyboards use a different style of connection between the membrane and controller since Unicomp keyboards are largely based on the P/N 42H1292 (gen 4 IBM/Lexmark era) Model M design. Vintage (gen 0 to 3) Model Ms use flex connectors called triomates, whereas most Unicomp keyboards use a pressure connection where the controller PCB is held against the membrane's connector.

For context if you're curious, old style (source):
270119-0

New style:
270117-1

FYI: the old-style controller pictured above is not an M13 PCB, but the overall principle of how the controller interfaces with the keyboard stands (the M13 would look similar but with extra headers/connectors for the mouse passthrough port and the TrackPoint II module). Which is why the controller Unicomp makes for their EnduraPro will not work with your pre-Unicomp M13, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 17:47:43 by sharktastica »

Offline DotMatrixMoe

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 08:35:55 »
I am currently typing on my IBM MODEL M13, thanks guys!