Author Topic: Hello from a boring suburbs in the united states.  (Read 2188 times)

Offline dimmu

Hello from a boring suburbs in the united states.
« on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:31:14 »
heya,

i just bought a corsair k70 silver with red switches during the black friday sales (looking back i should have bought ducky shine 3 but oh well), this is my second mechanical keyboard, steelseries 6g v2 with blacks being the first one. i frequent alot of gaming review sites and youtube channels and alot of them usually recommend the mainstream keyboards, cm quickfire, corsair k70, blackwidow ultimate (***shudder***), rosewills, etc. it was not until i bought my first keycap (reddit snoo by tech keys - dont laugh!) that i started witnessing this wonderful (and goddamn expensive) world of keyboard modding and now i want them all!

from what i've been hearing, the default keycaps on this board is pretty bad compared to the standard pbt doubleshots that i keep hearing about. now i really want to replace these and i've been looking at sites like techkeys, wasd, massdrop, keyboard wow, even shapeways but all i could pick are custom ones. i bought a few, the horde keycap, and a set of starcraft race icons but i still need to replace the standard and modifier keys. then, i discovered this super secret thingie you call group buy. from what i understand i will need to wait at least 60 days and a specific amount of posts before i could participate in it. well, let this be the first one!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hello from a boring suburbs in the united states.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:33:23 »
Hey there, welcome to Geekhack! You can always check the classifieds if you are looking for a new keycap set. Although group buys are nice, they often take up to a year to complete, so if you are looking for something sooner, I would check there!

Offline dimmu

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:39:32 »
awesome. i'm checking it out right now. thanks!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:00:55 »
Also, do you have a preference on what exactly you want? Because I can try and help you find something! For example these get good reviews: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59780.0

Offline dimmu

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:09:13 »
looking for something that's a bit darker and preferably good contrast with the modifier keys since my case is brushed silver aluminum. will definitely check that out too bro. thanks again!

Offline dimmu

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 21:29:57 »
I am thinking of getting this set:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58011.0

but i will not be able to use the space bar due to the retarded layout on my corsair k70. do you think it's worth it? i am also at the point of just returning this keyboard as it's causing me alot of stress searching for compatible keysets...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 22:57:07 »
If you are interested in that set, I would find out who made them. You can get dolch replicas for ~$20 if they are cheaply made or $120 gmk set.

If you are interested in a completely customizable set, then there are definitely easier sets. I am not too sure how rare 6.5u spacebars are.

I would also encourage you to post in the quick questions thread, as there are a lot of people who are more knowledgeable then me!

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 23:02:45 »
heh, well, it's not a very well-regarded keyboard over here, for a few reasons - the incompatibility being one of them.
if you can return it, I'd honestly suggest you consider it, there are plenty of great options you can get instead. ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 05:20:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

AFAIK you can participate in group buys, and even post in classifieds threads, at any time, but you do need 25 posts and 2 months membership before you can create a new classifieds thread.

Also PBT doubleshots are fairly new, and made by only one or two companies.  Quality and consistency has been a bit hit and miss, but is getting much better now.  By far the most PBT keycaps are dyesub (or blank).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dimmu

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 01:42:44 »
thanks for all the replies guys i decided to get poker 2 with clear switches from mass drop and an hhkb pro 2 from elitekeyboards.com. i was thinking of grabbing one of the korean custom made 60% keyboards from classified but the shipping kinda hurts.

Offline drewba

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 11:24:21 »
Another boring suburban IL user checking in! I'm new to Geekhack as well, so far people have been really helpful & friendly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 21:52:05 »
thanks for all the replies guys i decided to get poker 2 with clear switches from mass drop and an hhkb pro 2 from elitekeyboards.com. i was thinking of grabbing one of the korean custom made 60% keyboards from classified but the shipping kinda hurts.

Very nice collection to get started with :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dimmu

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:34:49 »
Another boring suburban IL user checking in! I'm new to Geekhack as well, so far people have been really helpful & friendly.

welcome to geekhack, bro. it's an awesome community indeed.

nice to see another fellow IL in here. i actually just met up with another one earlier today to buy a custom duck viper keyboard. we boring suburbanites need to stick together!

Offline dimmu

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:42:14 »

thanks, love the hhkb pro 2 but the weight was kind of a let down. i did manage to snag a duck viper with vintage blacks with the same layout as an hhkb from a local geekhacker tho, bypassing the expensive shipping. this slab of metal is alot heavier (about 4 pounds). i'm loving the more premium feel right now but i'm still missing the satisfying thock sounds of topre...

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 18:36:44 »
That's so weird. When I read "boring suburb, US" I knew it was Illinois.

Haha, anyway welcome! I can't believe there was a local with a Duck Viper... I would be interested in one as well!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 04:20:36 »

thanks, love the hhkb pro 2 but the weight was kind of a let down. i did manage to snag a duck viper with vintage blacks with the same layout as an hhkb from a local geekhacker tho, bypassing the expensive shipping. this slab of metal is alot heavier (about 4 pounds). i'm loving the more premium feel right now but i'm still missing the satisfying thock sounds of topre...

The HHKB weight being too light?  Do you mean the whole keyboard, or each switch?

If switch, it is possible to disassemble it and replace the domes with 55g domes, although you do need a donor RealForce keyboard and some patience.

If the whole keyboard, I found that a layer or two (or 8) of drawer liner under the keyboard helps to stabilise it.  It also reduces echo and vibration from the desk and actually improves the sound!