Author Topic: hardwired dvorak keyboard?  (Read 6444 times)

Offline FinancialWar

hardwired dvorak keyboard?
« on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 20:38:39 »
so I got a new job however, this time I am not allowed to configure windows keyboard layout.

So is there a hardwired dvorak keyboard (mechanical, hopefully) on the market at the moment?

Please do not recommend kinesis.

Thanks.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:08:14 »
thank for the reply, have you had any experience with the Qido convertor?

Offline sordna

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:16:09 »
Quote from: dvorak;468566
so I got a new job however, this time I am not allowed to configure windows keyboard layout.

So is there a hardwired dvorak keyboard (mechanical, hopefully) on the market at the moment?

Please do not recommend kinesis.

No Kinesis? How about Truly Ergonomic, they say it's programmable. It's shipping next week, so we'll know from reviews soon.

The Rapoo v7 might be a good option. It's programmable, according to this review:

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1153
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:22:13 »
I'll be selling AIKON controllers soon, that would make any keyboard that you could imagine programmable...:biggrin: Hope you can find what you're looking for.

Offline Tony

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:25:38 »
Can you run .exe? Dvorak assistant will help you toggle between Dvorak and Qwerty

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvassist/
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 21:41:26 »
I'm just jealous that you have the username dvorak..
Dvorak

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 22:09:47 »
no, it has to be on the keyboard hardware level, no messing around with softwares on the pc or OS as the techs can be really jerks and I am only new in this job.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 22:13:18 »
Quote from: sordna;468584
No Kinesis? How about Truly Ergonomic, they say it's programmable. It's shipping next week, so we'll know from reviews soon.

The Rapoo v7 might be a good option. It's programmable, according to this review:

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1153

I might have to consider kinesis advantage, regarding to typing speed, how do you find this keyboard when compared to normal brown cherry keyboards?

and another important question, do you need OS to switch between qwerty and dvorak with the kinesis?

this listing on ebay says it requires the OS to switch between qwerty/dvorak, I was under the impression that qwerty/dvorak switch on the Kinesis advantage was on the hardware level.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2011, 22:25:14 by FinancialWar »

Offline Tony

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 22:51:33 »
Give the DvorakAssistant.exe for the IT guys to check it and he'll let you use it in your profile. Hopefully your line manager will help you.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 23:13:02 »
Quote from: dvorak;468614
I might have to consider kinesis advantage, regarding to typing speed, how do you find this keyboard when compared to normal brown cherry keyboards?

Well, I would say the Kinesis will allow you to type faster because less hand movement is needed. I went from flat keyboards/qwerty to Kinesis/dvorak and the overall change for me was from 80wpm to 100wpm after a few months (till I got used to Dvorak, getting used to the Kinesis took me just 2-3 days).

and another important question, do you need OS to switch between qwerty and dvorak with the kinesis?

Not at all. All programming, layout switching, etc, is done via keystrokes on the keyboard itself.

this listing on ebay says it requires the OS to switch between qwerty/dvorak, I was under the impression that qwerty/dvorak switch on the Kinesis advantage was on the hardware level.

The ebay seller doesn't know what he's talking about. All Kinesis Advantage models are dvorak switchable on the keyboard itself.

Anyway, the Rapoo v7 is mechanical and prrogrammable and supposed to hold the settings in memory, so you can program it in your home, and take it to work.

Another option is this rubber dome keyboard from Fentek: http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbdvorak2ub.htm

Fentek by the way is a great place to for Kinesis keyboards, with free shipping, and they honor the Kinesis no-risk money back guarantee.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 00:23:29 »
Quote from: dante;468582
No experience; but the company that produces it has a solid reputation.

I was considering buying one myself but the shipping charge makes me queasy.

I thought about doing a group buy but I don't know if I could even get 10 people to sign up for one.
It'd probably be just as easy (and a lot cheaper) to build one using a microcontroller.
---

If I were you, I'd talk to HR or the IT people about changing the keyboard layout in windows. I imagine the paranoid computer guys would balk at any .EXE a lot more than that. If that fails (and you do a lot of typing) you might be able to persuade them to get you a kinesis/maltron for ergonomic reasons. Failing THAT, I'd grab a new keyboard.
---

Me, I am not allowed to plug a new keyboard into the computer I use, nor change the layout or anything, so I'm out of luck.

Offline Tony

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 00:45:52 »
True, HR dept will talk sense to IT dept and your problem will be easily solved. From IT point of view, EXE file is much more risky than just reconfig the computer.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 00:52:35 »
I'll probably just get the kinesis advantage, it has this cool factor and probably retain a lot more resell value.

Offline Apokalipse

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 10:35:15 »
Autohotkey script:
Code: [Select]
#UseHook
Process, Priority,, Realtime
SetKeyDelay -1

; scroll lock set to on when script is active
SetScrollLockState, On
Scrolllock::
    Suspend, Permit
    Suspend
    if (A_IsSuspended == true)
        SetScrollLockState, Off
    else
        SetScrollLockState, On
    return

; qwerty to dvorak
-::[
=::]
q::'
w::,
e::.
r::p
t::y
y::f
u::g
i::c
o::r
p::l
[::/
]::=
s::o
d::e
f::u
g::i
h::d
j::h
k::t
l::n
SC027::s
'::-
z::SC027
x::q
c::j
v::k
b::x
n::b
,::w
.::v
/::z

Offline Kurk

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 12:00:37 »

Native Dvorak keyboards should be available from Unicomp. Their SpaceSaver M (for Mac) for sure is so I guess the PC models will be, too. You'll have to call the and ask.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/onthestick.html

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:55:03 »
Quote from: dvorak;468672
I'll probably just get the kinesis advantage, it has this cool factor and probably retain a lot more resell value.

Good choice. There's a special model, the Advantage LF, with cherry MX red switches, but it's only available by request at Kinesis at $325. Click my sig for details. If you buy from a reseller, you'll only be able to ge the model with MX browns, but it will be cheaper. Another option is to buy it used... I think Input Nirvana may have some for sale, and they pop up on eBay now and again too.

Offline Kurk

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 05:08:11 »

...QUOTE]
Unicomp's SpaceSaver models can be ordered in Dvorak layout. These are actually hard-wired (I've asked). Maybe other models can be ordered in Dvorak, too.

Offline Kurk

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 11:23:50 »
Upon asking if one needed to change the keyboard layout in the OS for use with their Dvorak keyboards, Don Bowman from Unicomp mailed me that "Use of our Dvorak keyboard requires no key reassignment in the OS.  What you see is what you get, so to speak."
Note that this conversation was about the SpaceSaver M (for apple).

Offline ownerer

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 11:47:52 »
I use the QIDO at work and it rocks!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 11:50:15 »
Quote from: ownerer;469737
I use the QIDO at work and it rocks!

Anything else, or is it just that simple? (hopefully just that simple)
Pros/cons/thoughts?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 11:54:26 »
Tipro?

Anything with low-level programming should work.
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 20:41:44 »
does anyone know where I can get the Kinesis Advantage in Australia? That eBay seller is now gone. I don't know where to get one of these in Australia for a reasonable price. All the Australian sellers are selling them for more than $AU600 which is a rip off.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 December 2011, 20:44:02 by FinancialWar »

Offline sordna

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 21:52:14 »
Maybe you can contact Kinesis directly, possibly they can ship to Australia for a smaller overall cost. Another option to keep looking on ebay.com.au for a used one. I just did a search for completed listings, and saw a US seller sold one for $269 + $43 shipping which is less than half what your Australian sellers want to charge you:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Kinesis-Advantage-Keyboard-QWERTY-Dvorak-/160382102062?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item255784aa2e

So if Kinesis doesn't ship to Australia (dunno if they do or not) chances are some of their US resellers might. You can try fentek-ind.com, amazon.com, thehumansolution.com, and others.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 01:10:05 »
thehumansolution sold out the kinesis and other US ebay sellers do not post to Australia.

My Dad is going to China in two days time, is there a retailer their?

Offline sordna

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 01:27:46 »
No idea about China, but nevermind ebay, did you go to the actual websites I mentioned? For example if you go to thehumansolution.com they have 3 different Kinesis Advantage models, and various international shipping options.
I just tried USPS Priority International and it quoted me $51.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 08:28:24 »
Thanks sordna,

So I checked thehumansolution.com, I didn't know there were two types of kinesis advantage? One that has only Qwerty and the other version that have both Qwerty and Dvorak. Can you confirm the one with both layout is the KB500USB-QD-BLK so that I don't get the Qwerty only version.

Thanks.

Offline sordna

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 11:53:53 »
Quote from: dvorak;473689
Thanks sordna,

So I checked thehumansolution.com, I didn't know there were two types of kinesis advantage? One that has only Qwerty and the other version that have both Qwerty and Dvorak. Can you confirm the one with both layout is the KB500USB-QD-BLK so that I don't get the Qwerty only version.

Thanks.

Yeah, the one with the QD in the part number has the dual printed qwerty/dvorak keycaps. Note that all Kinesis Advantage models support qwerty/dvorak switching, if you can touch-type dvorak you don't need the special keycaps. My first Kinesis (a PS/2 Classic) had the QD keycaps, but all my later ones don't, and I happily type Dvorak without missing the QD at all.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 06:13:23 »
oh ok I get it.

So all Kinesis Advantage keyboard have qwerty/dvorak switching, only those with QD have qwerty/dvorak printed on keycaps.

yes, I do touch type (I don't think there are any dvorak users who don't), and in fact, I prefer blank keycaps, do you know if Kinesis Advantage come in blanks?

Black Kinesis Advantage in blank black keycaps would look awesome.

Offline sordna

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 December 2011, 10:57:26 »
There is no model that comes with blanks, although perhaps Kinesis directly may be able to provide you with a set, just contact them. Otherwise, you can always sand or dye your keycaps, or buy after market ones. These instructions will prove useful.

Offline Allagion

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 18:25:42 »
There is one issue, which is admittedly situational, in which a hardwired dvorak keyboard may be useful. I am in law school and most students take exams on Examsoft. Your system reboots into safe mode for the duration of the test and examsoft doesn't give a hoot what keyboard layout you prefer, you are going to type in QWERTY. There is no way to change your preferences after reboot either. Having a hardwired board, or at least the QIDO, should circumvent that issue. My professors don't care that I bring in an external keyboard to plug in to my laptop.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:15:35 »
I tried and return kinesis, the layout and the built quality is not by thing. Plus it is too bulky. I got the QIDO, I am going to get the Rapoo V7 as well to solve my Dvorak issue outside home.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 20:23:11 »
We lost a family member :(
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Reptile

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 21:22:41 »
Quote from: FinancialWar;468609
no, it has to be on the keyboard hardware level, no messing around with softwares on the pc or OS as the techs can be really jerks and I am only new in this job.

What kind of job is this? Doesn't make sense they should let you do it.
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline clickclack123

Re: hardwired dvorak keyboard?
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 03:02:45 »
Resurrecting this necro thread but:

the CODE keyboard at http://codekeyboards.com/, which is a rebadged WASD V2 has dip switches on the bottom that can switch it into dvorak layout.