Author Topic: Hi GeekHack.  (Read 3093 times)

Offline obviouslygene

Hi GeekHack.
« on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 10:42:28 »
Hi from Japan.

I'm from Singapore but live in Japan.
Used to use a razer blackwidow for gaming.
Recently I bought HHKB pro2 and couldnt go back to the razer.
Since the HHKB is my 2nd keyboard, I often wondered about trying other boards.
I also often build my own amps, so I'm really interested in trying to build one on my own!

Offline Kemindo

• one world one promise
Re: Hi GeekHack.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 13:59:47 »
Me too hi gher  :thumb:
Peace and Service

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 14:22:11 »
Hi from Japan.

I'm from Singapore but live in Japan.
Used to use a razer blackwidow for gaming.
Recently I bought HHKB pro2 and couldnt go back to the razer.
Since the HHKB is my 2nd keyboard, I often wondered about trying other boards.
I also often build my own amps, so I'm really interested in trying to build one on my own!

Hi there, welcome ^-^

What kind of switches were you looking at? For that matter, is there a diy keyboard you've had your eyes on?
Chris Schammert

Offline gohono3

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:11:30 »
Welcome!

I'm in the same boat as you.  HHKB is my second mechanical keyboard and I'm looking into building a custom 60% with the Hakko FX888 soldering station.

I also purchased Hasu's USB controller for the HHKB to make it fully programmable.

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:50:15 »
Hi there, welcome ^-^

What kind of switches were you looking at? For that matter, is there a diy keyboard you've had your eyes on?

I was looking at a GON NerD 60, Satan GH60 or I would really like a ALPS64
...but having handwired so many tube amps I could deal with just having a 60% alu plate and hand wiring everything else.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 15:52:22 by obviouslygene »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 16:03:42 »
Hi there, welcome ^-^

I was looking at a GON NerD 60, Satan GH60 or I would really like a ALPS64
...but having handwired so many tube amps I could deal with just having a 60% alu plate and hand wiring everything else.

Mmm alps. I wish I could jump on the current infinity ergodox drop for the matias version. I guess you could pretty much make your own kit with your hand wiring experience.
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 02:50:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You mean there is life after HHKB? :))

Hand-wiring can be a bit tedious, but does mean that you're not limited to a pre-designed PCB and can create almost any layout you want.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 01:36:43 »
I guess so, I'm not particularly biased in anyway.
The only thing I'm hooked on to now is the 60% layout.
So I'm game to try any 60% board!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 06:03:10 »

Pok3r is a good choice!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline khirin

• Do more, with less.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 09:23:04 »

Have you tried SpaceFN layout?

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 13:03:19 »
actually not yet...
my kc60 is coming so probably i'll try it.