Author Topic: Using More than One Cherry MX Switch  (Read 2497 times)

Offline WuMyster

Using More than One Cherry MX Switch
« on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 10:13:52 »
I've been using my Ducky Shine 3 YOTS with Reds since it's come out, and absolutely adore Reds. So easy to type on.

I've always wanted to try Blues and a TKL board, so picked up a Ducky TKL with Blues.

Right now, the experience is a bit rough. The bump is making me not press the key all the way down, since I'm used to the force used with Reds.

Should I stick with both switches and I'll get used to using both eventually? Or should I pick up a Red TKL board?

Offline blackbox

Re: Using More than One Cherry MX Switch
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 10:23:06 »
Just stick with it and get used to it. Nothing wrong about not botoming out.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline WuMyster

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 10:48:41 »
Once I get used to the blues, would the Reds then feel weird to me? That's all I care about at the moment. Having to adjust each time when using the different switches.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 10:50:53 »
There is no problem with "not bottoming out", it's technically better.
However if you're not actuating the switch, then there is a bit of an issue.
This however will be resolved with practice and getting used to. Once you do get used to the blues, you may fall in love with them  :thumb:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline WuMyster

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 11:07:51 »
Well I love my reds so much, don't think anything can take my love for them away.
It's been a few hours and I am unfortunately having to bottom out since I am simply too used to reds. Blues are so much harder to press down for me. I'll stick with it, I have 14 days to make up my mind anyway if i just want to pick up another Red board.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 11:37:59 »
In my experience, once you get used to both keyboards, you'll be able to pick the other one back up pretty quick, depending on how long you've been away.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 12:47:19 »
I've found that going from MX blue to any other MX is pretty easy, but I have been having a difficult time with blues after using other MX switches.

Blues require full release to reset the click.  The key should still be able to actuate with partial upstroke release, but the lack of click with this method is very unappealing to me.

If you full release every upstroke then nothing I've said here will matter :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline WuMyster

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:17:50 »
Yeah that's exactly whats hard. Going from Blues to Reds is apiece of cake. Reds to blues is a different story. Sometimes I dont put enough pressure in for the key to activate, and i find i dont release the key fully.
I'll see if i enjoy it after a day or two. If not, i'll probably get a TKL red.

Offline Defect

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:39:44 »
If you like clicky switches but are not satisfied with the mechanism in MX Blues (two piece plastic slider that slaps into itself), I strongly recommend you check out Alps (SKCM White are cheap and easy to find in old boards) or Buckling Spring boards.

Matias also makes a pretty nice click switch.  I don't like it as much as new/good SKCM White Alps, but I wouldn't be upset if I had to fall on Matias.  Their boards are a little expensive though (IMO).

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:54:52 »
I switch between a green and brown on two computers. I had trouble adjusting initially, after a week, it takes less than a minute to get comfortable when switching keyboards.
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:48:02 »
I used both MX Red and stock MX Clear for several months. I didn't really bottom out on either. I only had to build some muscles after being used to reds a bit too much. Then I used scissor switches and MX Brown with a buzzer emulating click for another few months. I think this experience has helped me learn to type comfortably on nearly any switch (ranging from reds to buckling springs) without just smashing keys. It's completely changed my perspective on blacks and some Alps/clones as well.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:57:27 »
Once you go red you never go back.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 19:01:19 »

Red is the only common MX switch I don't like at all =/
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline WuMyster

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 04:40:53 »
Unfortunately, it's going back and being replaced with another TKL with reds. Looks like I won't be switching from Reds ever.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 04:48:09 »
I kind of understand the problem. Once you really get used to some of the lighter switches, and when you like how they feel, it can be hard to get accustomed to the heavier/stiffer switches again.

I experienced the same thing going from a 45g to a 70g actuation keyboard. At times I would hit a key with the intention of typing that letter, but nothing would happen. My "tap" on the letter would literally be too light for it to register.

However, I often find that if you stick with it, you get more used to it, and it will not be as big of an issue. If you really like the lightness of the reds, but want to try other switches (or want something with a little bit of tactile feedback) then browns or topre 45g would have been a better choice than blues.

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 05:11:25 »
Weak muscles!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:33:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack, WuMyster!

I regularly switch between MX green, MX blue, MX black, 45g Topre and buckling spring (and on rare occasions MS red).

No problems at all!

In fact having a few keyboards with a different feel makes each one seem fresh and invigorating when I swap them around.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 07:42:43 »

Red is the only common MX switch I don't like at all =/

My first mech had red switches - shortly after getting my next mech I dropped the red and have never had them back since! I don't have any red boards, and I have 10+ mx boards. I don't like reds, but then I like tactile grey a lot so go figure.
I got boards.

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 09:24:30 »
My first mech had red switches - shortly after getting my next mech I dropped the red and have never had them back since! I don't have any red boards, and I have 10+ mx boards. I don't like reds, but then I like tactile grey a lot so go figure.
:eek: That's a lot of mech to have!
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline Defect

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 09:30:52 »
Unfortunately, it's going back and being replaced with another TKL with reds. Looks like I won't be switching from Reds ever.

Spring swaps and aftermarket spring swaps are fun to explore.  So is lubing your reds.

Offline WuMyster

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 08:08:33 »
Small update, got it replaced and am now typing on a TKL with reds. Adore this board. ADORE reds.