Author Topic: [Interest Check] Metal vivanco plate  (Read 4291 times)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

[Interest Check] Metal vivanco plate
« on: Sat, 24 December 2011, 17:50:46 »
I really have no idea how many people have got these, but I thought I'd ask. I've got mine in pieces right now because I'm in the middle of switching from the XM simplified alps it comes with to complicated cream alps; and wanted to see how hard it would be to have it made as metal. So this is the answer I got, and if enough people want one I'll go through with the order. Edit: I forgot to mention, but the entire reason this thread is here is that it uses a plastic plate to start with.

1pc 1/16” Aluminum = $175 lot charge : No finish
2pcs 1/16” Aluminum = $112.5/ea : No finish
5pcs 1/16” Aluminum = $65/ea : No finish
10pcs 1/16” Aluminum = $ 48.36/ea  : No finish  

1pc  1/16” Steel  = $125 lot charge : No finish  
2pcs 1/16” Steel  = $95/ea : No finish
5pcs 1/16” Steel = $47.6/ea : No finish
10pcs 1/16” Steel = $34.82/ea : No finish
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 December 2011, 01:28:07 by False_Dmitry_II »
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 December 2011, 00:15:57 »
Clearly: Steel > Al

I've not heard of this keyboard before: I'd be interested if I had one. Are they vintage/rare?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 December 2011, 01:02:28 »
It seems to be fairly rare. I got mine from missilemike, you can find some of the threads where he sold some by searching for 'vivanco geekhack'. I couldn't find the main one where he was talking about his auctions by doing that though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 December 2011, 12:00:59 »
Is it the same as this:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5115

I searched vivanco, and found the model number KPT-84, which is the same as this ALPS-based 'keypot technology' board.

Hmm, depending on the possible mounting and dimensions, I might be interested to DIY-up an ALPS 'board sometime.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 12:26:48 »
That looks almost identical to it in terms of what the case looks like and the physical placement of the keys. Mine has only ansi legends though along with a cooler dolch color scheme. Other than that, yeah, that's pretty much it.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 14:48:53 »
Quote from: dorkvader;477417
Clearly: Steel > Al

I've not heard of this keyboard before: I'd be interested if I had one. Are they vintage/rare?

But you can't anodize steel and make it look cool like you can with aluminum.

And Dmitry, where are you getting these done? The place near me? Steel should almost always be more expensive for these kind of things because it takes a lot longer to cut. The raw material is a bit cheaper, but the cut time for aluminum is a lot less. The place near me charges $220/hr for cut time so it adds up fast.

Also, you're gonna have a hard time finding people for this. It's not at all a common keyboard.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 18:33:18 »
Well I'll only be going through with it if there are enough to make it cheap enough. I am aware that it isn't really likely, but I figured I'd give it a last shot before going ahead and reassembling mine with the plastic.

That said, no it isn't the place near you. Apparently nearly every single place expects whatever kind of file it is that has the info they need. I was referred to this place by one of the other ones who were like 'doing a replica is beyond the scope of what we do, but these guys do it'.

I think the fact that they are making a replica is why it starts out so high. If ya still want the name of the place I'll look it up, I don't know it offhand.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 20:21:20 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;478533
But you can't anodize steel and make it look cool like you can with aluminum.

But since I feel that paint > anodyzing, then it works out. Al is cool, because it forms an Al2O3 (alumina) layer on the outside of the piece, but steel would be more functional.

Hmm, I imagine getting a punch for the keys would significantly decrease machining time, but you may still have alignment issues. I'm sure the manufacturer used a punch.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 10:57:46 »
Well anyways, it's back together with the plastic plate. I think it would have been easier to put together with a metal one but that would be too much money for this. I didn't particularly dislike it before to begin with, just figured it would be cool to upgrade it while changing switches. I wanted to do that because of how likely it is that I use this small keyboard around other people. The XMs are not quiet.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 18:19:22 »
Hey, I've seen this keyboard over at OTD.  I never knew what it was, though.  Any idea if these keyboards are still available, or is it just something we need to hunt for?
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 19:07:09 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;495826
Hey, I've seen this keyboard over at OTD.  I never knew what it was, though.  Any idea if these keyboards are still available, or is it just something we need to hunt for?
I'm pretty sure you need to look for them.

Here are some search terms I used when I looked:
Keypot KPT-84
Vivanco KPT-84