Author Topic: What was your order of Switch purchase before you found " THE ONE " ?  (Read 8213 times)

Offline enoy21

I realize many of you have multiple key preferences for different purposes , but I'm referring to the one that you type on the most throughout any given day.

Having just got my blues in last week,  I really enjoy it and I'm already wanting to try Browns/Clears/Blacks now.  

I really like the solidity of the Blacks , the smooth travel and the solid "THWACK" at the bottom of the stroke (Wyse60 reference).  At this point, being so new off Rubber Domes, I don't think the weight would bother me as I'm already typing on a 60-65g force switch mimic.  ( Trusting Ripsters comment in another thread )  

I'm thinking my next purchase will be a Filco Ninja TKL(PING) in Browns , but I'm afraid they may be too soft for me.  I tend to bottom out on all of my typing , and I'm ok with that to be honest.  (If it ain't one click it's a mother f-n clacker)

So I'm wondering what peoples purchase orders were before finding the one they enjoyed the most..... And prey tell what do you enjoy the most about it ?   ( The switch weight or the tactility or the sound ? )  

Should I buy both ends of the spectrum ? Should I go for the browns even though I type so hard as is ?   Budget is a concern here.

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:47:50 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline CampinSam

What was your order of Switch purchase before you found " THE ONE " ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 12:26:37 »
My first purchase was a steelseries 6gv2 board, with blacks. And I LOVED it, especially with games, and it definitely sped me up from my old logitech keyboard, from about 80ish wpm, to 100-110.

Course after a while, I found the other switches, and I ended up buying a leopold TKL with browns. And the difference between the blacks and the browns is astounding. Trying to type on the blacks now, feels pretty tiresome, and a tad to hard to press.

But to be honest, I very slightly like the mushiness of the Blacks a tad better but they are still too heavy, so I'm thinking of selling it to get the lighter version, I.E. the cherry reds. I probably won't ever have blues either for a very long time, since I live with my parents, and when I go to college, my roomie probably would like to sleep.

In the end, when I get it all sorted out, the reds look to be my perfect switch.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 12:32:44 »
Started with Das. Blues then browns. Liked them about the same, maybe browns a bit more. Got reds on a whim when "cloud of boobs" was trendy. Really liked reds. Tried blacks. Didn't like them. Then HHKB Topre. Loved them. Eventually had to get Type-S, my current favorite. Tastes changed a bit. Current order of preference is silent Topre>regular Topre>Red>Blue>Brown>Black.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 13:20:27 »
the first mechanical keyboard i typed on was a DAS with cherry blues (I still curse my friend for introducing me to the mech keyboard).  after typing on his keyboard, i had to have one.  I quickly obtained myself a a DAS with Cherry browns, which i had for about a week, and then ordered a Poker with Blues.  i was happy with both and used them both for a few months.  I love the blues for the noise, but i prefer typing on the Browns.  then I got tired of typing on a crappy (logitech k120) keyboard at work, at which point i ordered myself a iONE m10 for work (it doesn't look flashy, and at the price i could repair any soldering issues it had and could replace it if someone stole it).  I then started to feel sorry for a friend of mine who fell in love with my DAS, and considering i'd started eyeing the Tenkeyless I bought myself a Leopold (Browns) and sold him the DAS.  

so i'm currently sitting sandwiched between cherry blues and browns.  i love them both.  i find that i bottom out cherry blues, however i don't bottom out browns. browns are my switch of choice, they feel best in my opinion.  

so to answer the question:  i bought 4 keyboards before i settled on which switch i prefered.  i know i didn't try blacks, reds, topre or alps.  A. i know i wouldn't like linear switches, I wouldn't like not having that tactile feel.  B. topre is way too expensive, as well as i don't trust it.  C. alps?  haha, i tested a board with alps at the store...and instantly hated how the switches felt.  i had no reason to give it a chance.

TLDR:

4 keyboards, browns are my favorite

Offline enoy21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 13:46:15 »
I can do with or without the click to be honest. As I mentioned above a good solid bottoming out THWACK is probably more of a preference for me.  As long as it's not that loose key sound most of the Dells have.

I honestly think that maybe a 55g force would be Ideal for me as well. That's what I came in search of in the wiki But Out of the most common switches   Browns/Blues/Red/Black I don't see any that fit that bill.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline N8N

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:20:09 »
My only exposure to mechanical keyboards prior to this year was with some old Model Ms, an AT101W that I used at work for years and years not really knowing what it was, only that I liked it better than anything that my employer tried to replace it with, and a SIIG mechanical switch board that I bought in an attempt to get something decent to type on when I got a new PC and realized that I was sick of typing on crap $5 boards.

After a while with the SIIG I decided that I didn't like it much (even though it was clearly a cut above anything else that I could find in my local Micro Center,) and started buying old Model Ms.  I took one to work and immediately enjoyed typing more but I apparently pissed off a few coworkers.  One day a NIB Cherry G81 board salvaged from a job site appeared on my desk, so I took the hint.  Unfortunately, I hated the MY switches so I tried to find an acceptable substitute.

I found my way to GH, and went on a buying spree - I got a Compaq server board (browns,) a rawko board (clears) an AT101W and an Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I immediately gravitated toward the clears, and my preferences really haven't changed since then.  I did try ergos on another rawko board but decided that I liked the straight clears better.

I then proceeded to buy a lightly used Filco M2 and changed the switches to straight clears, and in a tip of the hat to my coworker who gave me the MY board, I put the doubleshots from that board on it.  I'm still using that board at work today.  I have been trading off boards at home for a while; the one I tend to use the most is my WASD board with blues (I can't imagine taking that to work) but lately I've been giving the Model M some desk time - I still like the feel of the good old buckling springs.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:20:22 »
Quote from: dante;423496
Some days quiet, some days loud.  Some days soft, others hard.

That has to be stressful on your girlfriend.

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline N8N

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:23:27 »
Quote from: dante;423496
When it comes to presentation: I enjoy the Model M style: Big, heavy, built to live longer than you, white, and gray modifiers.  When I first started looking around in the keyboard community I was all "otaku otaku otaku!"  But as time marched on I think I really appreciate the white/gray legend format the best.

I have yet to find "the one" that combines all these attributes.

If I ever get my white/grey doubleshots, I'll put them on my work Filco.

Of course, it's kind of hard to call it a Filco anymore as the only thing really Filco remaining is the case, PCB, plate, and controller...  I guess "friends don't let friends drive stock" should apply to keyboards as well?
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:24:31 »
get blacks, dey the bestest
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Clickey

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:26:48 »
I went through 20 different kinds and changed my favorite many times as I went along but none felt "juuuuust right" until I tried my SMK's. They are tactile right in the middle of the keypress and dont force you to bottom out like complicated whites, and they have the most satisfying click. I would liken it to the button on an analog camera that you press to take the picture.

I keep searching for something better but I dont really think I will find anything I like better than this and its pretty hard to find something I havent tried yet. I game with ergo clears/cherry blues because the boards have nkro and softer touch, the SMK's are a little too stiff for key spamming.

My most hated switch so far is cherry MY, it feels like its giving your finger cancer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2011, 14:32:37 by Clickey »
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 17:59:09 »
I started with a das Keyboard with the brown switches and then to a full sized RealForce.  I returned the das and sold the Realforce and was on to my next purchases - Filco full sized with Cherry Reds and then TKL with Cherry Reds.  They were my favorites for a while. Then I tried a new white RealForce TKL and sold that one in favor of the new silent RealForce TKL.  Also I tried the Poker with reds.  I am all set and not at all interested in making any more purchases - really am all set.  

Right now my favorites are my silent Realforce which I use as my daily workhorse at work and then I have my Poker with reds which I am using right now to type on my iPad.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline domin8r

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 18:47:33 »
First I had was a Laser SX-25.. clicky with SMK switches..
Then got a Dell AT102W to explore that,, liked it but was still curious.
Got a Model M after that and was very pleased with the click!

But curiousity got the better of me.. I had a restored Cherry keyboard with blacks and I changed all the stems to make Panda Clears.

Currently, the Panda Clears are really my favorite! Awesome feel and feedback, and just a bit more subtle than my clicky/rattling boards :)
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline akerasi

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 20:28:47 »
Well, I had a Lexmark Model M (since destroyed by curious toddler), but after that got destroyed and I got over my "it has to be wireless" phase, then the long time not having any money, I bought a G84 from someone on the forums, Clears from Rawko, a Wang 724 from Rawko, Blacks in another ebay purchase, Browns from Rawko, 122 key terminal from Rawko (wanted an excuse to learn a Teensy, seemed a good one), and 2 Dell AT101Ws for a song locally. I liked clears a lot, but my pinky fingers didn't, and I wanted to use the pretty doubleshots on my Italian board that came with blacks, hence the Variable Force Mod (link in my sig).
Owns, no particular order:
Ricercar SPOS (Variable Force Mod number 3), 122-key IBM terminal board (future project to learn a Teensy), 1993 IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, 3x Cherry G80-8200LPBUS (2 in pieces, 1 modded to Ghetto Reds), Cherry G80-1190HRMIT(Variable Force Mod), Wang 724 Terminal Keyboard (Pink Alps), Cherry G84-4100, Cherry G81-LUMUS, a pile of random old ALPS Macintosh boards in poor condition.
Wants:
Odd keyswitch boards for cheap (NEC sliders, space invaders, other weird stuff), Cherry Blues for cheap

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 20:44:21 »
My first mech keyboard is a Filco "Otaku" with brown switches.  After that then it's Noppoo Choc Mini blues, Filco tenkeyless blacks and so on.  The one I enjoy typing on the most would probably be RF 87UB 55g w/ uniform weight.  I think it was after about 7 or 8 keyboards before I got the Topre.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 20:48:10 »
My order went something like this:

Buckling spring > Black ALPs > White ALPs > Cherry brown > Topre > Cherry Clear/Blue/Red > Ergo Clears

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 20:58:40 »
Filco Cherry Blues Maj1 > Unicomp Spacesaver > 87UB Variable & 55G > HHKB > Choco Mini Browns > Filco Cherry Red > 87U 45G & Variable > Filco Cherry Blue Maj2

I jumped into mechanical keyboards the same month I joined this forum. I saw something about this forum on [H]ardForum and came over to research keyboards. At that time, I didn't know mechanicals existed.

I was using a MERC Stealth (please don't judge lol) for gaming and typing and just wanted something different. After reading many threads, I followed Ripster's advice and ended up purchasing a Filco Cherry Blue Maj1 (my gf was not pleased and this was the first board sold). My favorite switches are Topre & Buckling Springs. I don't use my spacesaver at home because its too massive. For my main rig at home/school I am using a Realforce 45g. During my summer clerkship I rotated between a spacesaver (too loud during the day and only used it during those many, many, many late nights), and a Filco cherry blue. When I'm using my laptop, I use my HHKB.

I prefer the smooth silky topre to what I would consider a rough and choppier cherry typing experience, cherry blue being choppier than cherry red. I do love the click of the cherry blues.

I'd like to try cherry blacks some day.
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 22:07:14 »
Das Model S Silent w/Brown switches < RealForce  86UB variable

Nothing against the Das, it was just too big for my desk. If I get another cherry-powered board, I'll probably get Blues since noise isn't an issue for me. However I can die happy now that I own Topre switches. :)

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline JLai

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 22:59:47 »
Filco TKL Brown Cherries --> Filco TKL Blue Cherries --> Realforce/Topre 87U

Offline theferenc

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 23:06:49 »
The Das was too big? Take a look at a Model F or early Model M terminal keyboard. Now those are massive. In every sense of the word.

I went Alps (black, cream, white -- all complicated), Topre (HHKB), Model M (all different ages and conditions, bolt modded and not), Model F. There were some Cherry MX switches in there, but I work hard to forget those, as I really disliked how they felt.

I'm digging the F, but it's the new shiny, so there's a certain bias there. I have the most buckling springs, in terms of sheer number of keyboards with a given switch (20 or so at last count, but F and M). I really like complicated Alps, especially the whites, but those are basically impossible to find in a proper layout. Ranking them is a bit difficult for me, but it would likely go something like F > M == Topre > Alps. But the gradation in there is so minute and situational, that's it safe to say I like those 3, and basically nothing else.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline enoy21

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 07:17:09 »
So the impression I'm getting here is that I should probably skip buying several colors of fruit ( or vegetable? ) and go straight to Topre for cost efficiency ?
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline duncan

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 08:44:27 »
Quote from: enoy21;423937
go straight to Topre for cost efficiency ?

Probably a sensible path but if you do that you will miss out out on all the fun of the journey.

If you do get a Topre first then, once the wallet has recovered, do try a few other boards as well because without that experience you'll never really know if Topre was really the best for you and your fingers.

And, even if you have the best board in world (for you), then using different boards in some kind of rotation is a good way to keep RSI at bay and no board begins to be as expensive in terms of cash, and in other ways, as treating a RSI problem.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 10:38:20 »
1st Mitsumi capacitive over membrane with springs (linear) in my A500 (1992) - that one was very decent
2nd Chicony rubber dome (1997) - also nice one despite being rubber dome
3rd Samsung rubber dome (2001) - that was awful, but I was too cheap to buy anything decent, even some logitech
4th iBook G3 Dual USB (2003)
5th iBook G4 (2004)
6th PowerBook G4 (2005)
7th MacBook (2006)
8th Apple Aluminium (2008) - all those Apple keyboards felt almost the same, only becoming more mushy with age. Just average laptop keyboards, certainly not the best, that's why I used Dell AT101W to work
9th Logitech DiNovo Mac Edition (2008) - best scissor switch keyboard ever
10th Cherry G80 with MX Blue (2009) - typed well, but was too loud at that point
11th Filco Tenkeyless Otaku with MX Brown (2009) - was like blue just quiet
12th Amiga 2000 keyboard with linear NMI switches (2009) - best keyboard to play pinball games and shooters
13th Unicomp Endurapro (2011) - awesome feel, now used in the office
14th IBM Model M 1390131 (2011) - bolt modded by previous owner (thanks prd), then springs replaced with new ones from Unicomp by me
15th IBM Model F Terminal (2011) - looks mint, springs sound and feel consistent across the board, works with Teensy based adapter, currently in use with my A500T
16th IBM Model M Space Saving (2011) - that one came NIB, has few broken rivets but it still feels and sounds superb, seems like my daily driver for a rest of my life - may only need bolt mod and spring replacement at some point (not next 2-3 years for sure).
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline msimon

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 13:21:45 »
1st Filco brown
2nd Filco blue

And now i have a filco black coming and looking forward to it, still looking for the perfect one:)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 13:23:46 »
BS > ALPS > Cherry brown > (All the other Cherrys except red) > Topre

After all that, I prefer Cherry browns.

Offline enoy21

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 19:05:15 »
Someone said something about about not jumping to the Topre or else it removes the " something to look forward to and grow into" also never knowing if it's the best one for me having not tried any others. Both seem like sound advice.

Well , after typing all week on the blues at home and a well broken in rubber dome at work.... I tried out the blacks again a few minutes ago , and I can see where people talk about their fingers feeling tired.   After the blues , the blacks really do tend to feel stiff (although very smooth).  I can definitely see how extended typing might get tiring and how I would likely star missing key strokes due to not pressing hard enough when in a hurry. So I think blacks would be out for my next purchase.    I guess that narrows it down to reds or browns.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Tony

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 20:56:25 »
1. Buckling Spring (IBM model M)
2. Brown

I tried black, blue but find that browns are better. I will try Topre next.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 21:57:19 »
The one I am using now and that is my favourite is the first mechanical I purchased. I purchased an MY board off ebay hoping it would have doubleshots, but it didn't, it feels like typing on a full piss soaked toilet roll.

Tried browns and blacks, not a fan of either. I want to try topre and a full green keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2011, 22:00:49 by Bilbin »
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline sleeprae

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 22:00:15 »
I think it's very important to try out most/all of them to find out what you want. After a long fight with the MS Ergo 4000 after supplies of the original MS Natural dried up, I decided to try out "standard" mechanical keyboards. My first was an XArmor brown, but I tried out my brother's Topre and Filco Blue keyboards shortly afterwards. I loved the blues--and a blue (though XArmor) was my next purchase. After several weeks of real world use using a brown at work and a blue at home, I decided that I preferred the lighter browns over the blues, so I bought a Filco brown. However, several months into my mech keyboard experiment, I determined that bottoming out was just the way I type, and that the tactile feedback on the browns was doing nothing other than adding an unpleasant roughness to the stroke. Given that, I bought a Filco red next. Wow, the smooth keystroke easily made it my favorite of all 4 in short order. I've subsequently purchased another red--the Leopold, and I'm not yet sure if I like it as well as the Filco. It somehow seems to have a "softer" keyfeel and I'm not sure I like it as well, but I've only had it two days.

I fully intend on trying the blacks as well at some point, but I don't hold much hope for liking them given my reason for moving on from the blues. The good news is that I use a lot of systems, so I've been able to find places to put all of them, in order of preference and usage.

In short: I went from browns to blues to reds. I prefer reds, browns, then blues. If you have the means, give multiple switches extended tryouts, as it may surprise you what you end up liking best.
Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R (red) | Leopold FC500RR/AB (red) | Filco Majestouch 2 (brown) | XArmor U9BL (blue) | XArmor U9 (brown) | Rosewill RK-9000BL (black-sold)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 22:03:38 »
blues > blacks > browns > topre > BS > white alps

after all those switches, blues stayed my favorite. least favorite being cherry blacks
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Glockateer

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 September 2011, 22:10:36 »
browns > red > blue > brown o_O
Blues are alright but I'm more of a gamer so I don't use them for spamming keys. I also don't know if the o-ring mod will make browns or reds better but it's in the mail.

Offline domin8r

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 04:53:52 »
Quote from: akerasi;423770
Well, I had a Lexmark Model M (since destroyed by curious toddler), but after that got destroyed and I got over my "it has to be wireless" phase, then the long time not having any money, I bought a G84 from someone on the forums, Clears from Rawko, a Wang 724 from Rawko, Blacks in another ebay purchase, Browns from Rawko, 122 key terminal from Rawko (wanted an excuse to learn a Teensy, seemed a good one), and 2 Dell AT101Ws for a song locally. I liked clears a lot, but my pinky fingers didn't, and I wanted to use the pretty doubleshots on my Italian board that came with blacks, hence the Variable Force Mod (link in my sig).

Just had to quotebump this.. How does a toddler destroy a Model M? :eek:
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline enoy21

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 18:52:31 »
Damn , I thought this thread and others had me settled on browns...... Now I'm thinking reds based on the other thread I just posted in.   So with all of your advice listed here, I believe it will come down to browns or reds.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 19:57:07 »
Regarding the OP:

I was introduced to buckling springs at the ripe old age of four, so they would be my first switch.  At age six we got a new computer which had rubber domes.  That would make them my second.  I actually remember hating them even back then, because they didn't click, and I couldn't mess up all of the key caps on my father (which I thought was a hilarious prank every one of the 80 times I did it.)  Eventually I learned that the reason we didn't carry the model M over to the new pc had nothing to do with its quality; the new pc had an AT connector (!) while our M had ps2.  Maybe we should have invested in a passive adapter, but it's all bygones now.

By 16, I had found scissor switches, which I preferred to full travel rubber dome and still don't mind typing on if the board is in relatively new condition.

Finally rediscovered that fabled IBM board of my youth at the age of 19.  A friend had found one in his basement, beaten to death and missing many a keycap, but somehow fully functional.  A few months later I found one for myself in a basement rummage.  A few more have come into my possession along the way since then. That's where I am now, at age 21.

I plan to someday try Cherry Blues, but I'm very content with the M for now.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline YpoCaramel

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 21:08:22 »
Buckling spring (a M13 I had picked up) -> Cherry Browns -> Cherry Blues.

Cherry blues are a bit squeaky and high pitched, but they provide a middle ground between buckling spring tactile feedback and not having to pound on keys.
Keyboards: IBM Model M M13, Filco Majestouch Tactile 104, PS3 Wireless Keypad, Logitech Dinovo mini
Other Input Devices In Use: Logitech G9, Razer Orochi, Fragnstein, MX Air, Orbita
Not on hand: Evoluent Vertical Mouse, Logitech G5, Razer Diamondback, Wacom Graphire 3

Offline theferenc

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 22:15:18 »
Ypo, try a Model F, if you can find one. Not as squeaky as the Cherry blue, not as hard to press as the M, and all of the legendary buckling spring tactility. I love mine. Going to have to stay on the lookout for more of them.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 22:24:26 »
Blues -> Browns -> Reds -> Blacks -> Ergo Clears -> Browns (my current fav).

I actually like browns so much that whenever I try another switch (except for ergo clears), I get sick of it within a few minutes.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 October 2011, 23:55:52 »
I'm still in a flurry of buying and trying.  Will have a lot to sell off eventually.  Started with blues and buckling springs.  Love both.  Tried blacks, didn't like them.  Modded to ghetto reds, and love those.  Browns are okay, but the tactile bump just ends up feeling like annoying friction.  Maybe I type too hard.  Clears are okay for me, ergo clears are really nice but I haven't spent a lot of time with them yet.

The varieties of Alps switches still really confuse me, and I'm not entirely sure what I have.  I got an AT101 with dark grey tactile switches that I don't like very much.  Also have a SIIG Minitouch with clicky blue Alps-like switches that I really really like, better even than Cherry blues I think.  I borrowed a Realforce from a friend for a week or so, and absolutely love it.  I'm confident I'll end up with a Topre board at some point in the future.

So, my current favorites are reds and clicky Alps.

Offline bionicroach

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 00:42:12 »
Cherry browns (Kinesis Contour) --> Cherry black (Steelseries) --> Cherry blues (Das III) --> BS (Unicomp) --> Topre variable (RF 87U) --> Cherry clears (Deck) --> Cherry reds (Filco R LE) --> Cherry browns (WASD)

Lately I've been switching between the Browns and Topre most often.  Every once in a while I get bored and want to go back to the Blues, but the noise usually starts to annoy me so I keep on going back to the quieter switches.  I currently prefer Browns to Reds, but it's kind of hard to say since my wife stole my Filco R before the spacebar was even shiny...

One thing's for sure: My finger strength has definitely calibrated to using lighter switches.  Even though I love the action of BS, I just get too fatigued if I type on them all day.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 11:56:31 »
"The One" does not exist. This thread is just a bunch of ordered rationalizations.
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 12:05:20 »
also

white alps
buckling springs
white alps
buckling springs
cherry blacks
cherry blues
cherry browns
cherry reds
cherry blacks
cherry browns
topre
keyboards!

Offline enoy21

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 12:19:11 »
You Sir/Madam are correct.  It's a question of how many switch types you went through before you found your favorite switch and or Keyboard that you use the most often.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 12:32:48 »
For me:

White ALPS -> Cherry Blue -> Cherry Brown -> Cherry Blue -> Cherry Blue with O-Ring -> Cherry Brown with O-ring -> Topre -> Cherry Blue w/ O-ring

Still prefer the click. But, to be fair, my Topre was a 87UB so I can't really use it at the office since I need a numpad.
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 12:36:17 »
yeah, dampeners make a hell of a difference. I wouldn't use a cherry keyboard without them.
keyboards!

Offline mojojj13

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 19:45:19 »
Blue -> Brown -> Black -> Topre -> Black -> Blue

The first blue was a Blackwidow and I didn't like the layout, I only spent a day with it.  I'm back to blues now because I feel I didn't give it a good chance the first time around.   I don't think the dog likes it though, he growls at the keyboard every time I type (like right now).  I'm kinda inclined to agree with him, it's fun to type on but the clicks are a lot louder than I remember.  I will give it a good try this time though =).

Offline akerasi

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 04 October 2011, 19:55:35 »
Quote from: domin8r;424509
Just had to quotebump this.. How does a toddler destroy a Model M? :eek:

By tearing off each individual keycap and then getting some sort of liquid spilled on it. I might have been able to fix it, but I didn't know what I do now.
Owns, no particular order:
Ricercar SPOS (Variable Force Mod number 3), 122-key IBM terminal board (future project to learn a Teensy), 1993 IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, 3x Cherry G80-8200LPBUS (2 in pieces, 1 modded to Ghetto Reds), Cherry G80-1190HRMIT(Variable Force Mod), Wang 724 Terminal Keyboard (Pink Alps), Cherry G84-4100, Cherry G81-LUMUS, a pile of random old ALPS Macintosh boards in poor condition.
Wants:
Odd keyswitch boards for cheap (NEC sliders, space invaders, other weird stuff), Cherry Blues for cheap

Offline enoy21

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 18 October 2011, 21:33:32 »
Well so far I'm at blue > brown. I find it hard to fathom that I would like one better than these browns.   I like the blue still but these just feel and sound awesome to me.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 02:54:01 »
Black (SteelSeries 7G) > Topre 45g (HHKB Pro2) <-- THE ONE!

recently also got: Blue (WASD V1 Custom)
on there way: Clear (Leopold Tenkeyless White) > Brown (Leopold Tenkeyless) > Blue (Rosewill RK-9000)

Offline battlesheep

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 05:53:13 »
this thread is excellent proof how there isnt ONE awesome switch or keyboard, its all personal preference... and it even changes over time for the same person!

several cheap rubber domes
old IBM rubber dome
logitech G11
old IBM rubber dome
logitech G11 (cause of the backlight)
razer lycosa (yuck)
cherry blue on BWU (hated it)
steelseries black (not bad)
zowie celeritas brown (nice!)

started working at cooler master storm and trying pretty much every cherry switch out there, and then some...
ALPS white, grey, black (meh...)
topre (terrible! key depress is so slow, tactile feedback worse than cheap rubber domes imo...)
so far i prefer clear -> brown -> red -> black
i want to try BS and ergo clears...

well actually my favorite so far is brown+special mod i came up with :D
plan to post about it once i got some spare time... probably not for months lol =_=''

Offline enoy21

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 05:55:58 »
Looking forward to your post battlesheep.  Check my location thread and post in there. Also let your CM folks know what a market you have in the west ( bring some red cherries this way !! )
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 06:49:44 »
I've been typing on my Poker w/blues all week. I might actually like blues more than topre... but other times i like browns more than blues... and other times I like my IBM M2 more than browns.... hmmm
keyboards!

Offline arplod

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 10:22:12 »
Pretty much all at once: Blue, Brown, Black, Topre, ALPS.

Followed by sourcing damping pads.

Then Red.

The One is still a rubber dome. Or the Topre. I can also take or leave a Brown or Red. It varies.

I used a lot of buckling springs when I didn't know I had a choice / didn't have a choice. Glad those days are over.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 October 2011, 10:28:48 by arplod »