Poll

Choose your preferred color combo for this set. PLEASE SEE PICTURES BELOW!

Pure Gray
57 (39.9%)
Beige
29 (20.3%)
Charcoal
57 (39.9%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: [IC] full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set  (Read 145588 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set
« Reply #650 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:36:21 »
Well said! Do we actually know who made the logo so we can ask him for permission?

really no idea...

I was not aware that there was not a Mod4/Super whatever you want to call it key without the Windows logo. I was only speaking about the Nerdom kit and how it would be nice to have keys that usually have the Windows logo to have logos for other operating systems. To me that seems more relevant than a Batman logo.

Adding a new operating system would mean adding 4 new keys (2 1u, 2 1.25u), that is of course overkill. The idea of nerdom is to have some additional/original/unique keys. A windows key hardly falls in this category.

Offline tbc

« Reply #651 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:39:49 »
i think all OSes should be represented....

it would be best if it WASN'T added to nerdom, but rather the icon mod set.

although, nerdom seems to be not getting a lot of love for some reason...
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #652 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:42:23 »
i think all OSes should be represented....

it would be best if it WASN'T added to nerdom, but rather the icon mod set.

although, nerdom seems to be not getting a lot of love for some reason...

there are WIN keys in the lost+find. "super" + "diamond" is generic for all operating systems. I really don't see the issue here.

Offline Ozric

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:43:04 »
Well said! Do we actually know who made the logo so we can ask him for permission?

really no idea...

I was not aware that there was not a Mod4/Super whatever you want to call it key without the Windows logo. I was only speaking about the Nerdom kit and how it would be nice to have keys that usually have the Windows logo to have logos for other operating systems. To me that seems more relevant than a Batman logo.

Adding a new operating system would mean adding 4 new keys (2 1u, 2 1.25u), that is of course overkill. The idea of nerdom is to have some additional/original/unique keys. A windows key hardly falls in this category.

Aren't the keys on the right in nerdom set Windows key sized? I think you are misunderstanding me. I would just like Windows-key sized keys in Nerdom set to have OS logos instead of Batman etc. Adding 4 new keys is unecessary since the two Mod4/Super keys are the same size.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #654 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:48:48 »

really no idea...

Aren't the keys on the right in nerdom set Windows key sized? I think you are misunderstanding me. I would just like Windows-key sized keys in Nerdom set to have OS logos instead of Batman etc. Adding 4 new keys is unecessary since the two Mod4/Super keys are the same size.

1.5u mods keyboards have 1u super keys, so to really cover an OS you need 4 keys. Anyway it's impossible to add all operating systems, that's why I settled with some fictional symbols.

Offline Ozric

« Reply #655 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:58:33 »

really no idea...

1.5u mods keyboards have 1u super keys, so to really cover an OS you need 4 keys. Anyway it's impossible to add all operating systems, that's why I settled with some fictional symbols.

Then may I suggest as part of the Nerdom set you have a wide key with the Xorg logo? This will cover pretty much all Linux and BSD desktop users.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #656 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 05:04:21 »
Then may I suggest as part of the Nerdom set you have a wide key with the Xorg logo? This will cover pretty much all Linux and BSD desktop users.

I did that in a test and people argued that the kit was becoming too big/expensive and that I should have also added wayland and blah blah blah... believe me, it's impossible to make everyone happy... but I agree an X11 combo would be nice

Offline justnits

« Reply #657 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 05:06:30 »

I did that in a test and people argued that the kit was becoming too big/expensive and that I should have also added wayland and blah blah blah... believe me, it's impossible to make everyone happy...

yes, the moment u make me happy, i feel sad for my wallet  :'(
but u're doing a great job here matt!
the number of pages in this thread tells a lot about this set and the community's interest  :thumb:
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #658 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 07:32:05 »
the nerdom seems very controversial. I thought being "super" keys having super heroes logos would have been nice. But they are considered lame nowadays, so I guess I have to remove them.

Also it seems that having a cheaper set is preferable to more options. So I reduced  the kit once more. I hope linux users will appreciate the X11 + Wayland logos.

It also seems that people is more attached to brands than to icons. So DT/GH/Phantom/Zoidberg/NERV win hands down to pi/tux/space-invaders/glider/atom.

Alternative images that I already have and can be used are

It's really only the number of keys in that kit that matters, we can change the legends up to the very last moment.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #659 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 08:45:02 »
This is how the set will be submitted (there's still a little margin on the Lost+Found)

PBT Granite

Blanks

It has been an incredibly difficult set to design. I want to thank all who helped in the process, in random order: jdeblese, Vierax, Muirium, 7bit, Ichigo87, Broadmonkey, Kurk, webwit, riotonthebay, SpAmRaY, ideus, LechnerDE, CommonCurt, Elrick, justnits, stoic-lemon, squarefrog, DamienG, jacobolus and ALL who participated into the IC! (sorry if I missed someone)

Now to the GB!

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #660 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 08:49:35 »
Personally I would like to see all the non computer related stuff in the nerdom set go in favor of more computer stuff.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #661 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 08:52:46 »
Personally I would like to see all the non computer related stuff in the nerdom set go in favor of more computer stuff.

please be more specific (ie: suggest symbols) and I will evaluate your suggestions!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #662 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 09:00:04 »
This is how the set will be submitted (there's still a little margin on the Lost+Found)

Now to the GB!

You mentioned earlier that you want to wait how Macross will be handled by SP to determine whether you will use their system again.

Does this mean the new GB won't start until we get our Macross sets or will you simply not post a deadline?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #663 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 09:01:20 »

Now to the GB!

You mentioned earlier that you want to wait how Macross will be handled by SP to determine whether you will use their system again.

Does this mean the new GB won't start until we get our Macross sets or will you simply not post a deadline?

I will talk with SP about this. If they fix a couple of things I'm open at starting this right away.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #664 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 09:17:57 »
i totally missed how silly it is to have space as a legend

Vertical 2x backspace is included in in the modifiers set, so theres little point adding it here. I dont use forward del, so I'm just going to use del as my backspace.

That blue enter is awesome!

Ditto on the DEL as backspace; I can adapt to that. Dunno about the blue Enter, but I'll keep out of it since Enter isn't one of my 2x keys anyway...

Is there really demand for a key that has “space” printed on it, for the ergodox kit?

Yes! Every other key has a legend, and there are four of this 2x tall key on the board, so leaving it blank creates an asymmetrical visual hole. Mine go either all blank, or all legended.

(Plus it says "SPAAAAAACE...")

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #665 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 09:23:21 »
Hah, always gonna read the SPACE key in that voice now :)

Looks like it's fairly settled, then. I'm looking forward to it - onwards to the buy!

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #666 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 09:54:48 »

please be more specific (ie: suggest symbols) and I will evaluate your suggestions!

Would love to see a Windows 1 logo as I can't currently see a windows key and I think this is the best logo.
Maybe some of the existing logos could also appear twice for symmetry purposes.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #667 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:24:21 »
The set looks very good. I suggest to drop 2 1u keys in the Nerdom, to get the caps count down to 12 1u + 6 1.25u, to keep its price low. In the GB phase its price will drive demand, thus the lower cost the higher order quantity.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #668 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:30:14 »
Is anyone able to make a 3D mock-up?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #669 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:35:21 »
Bit of a newb question. I'm looking to get this set for an Ergodox, but I don't yet own one as of yet and this will be my first keycap set for it.

I'm guessing that I need the Common set and the Ergodoxian set. Anything else I'm missing?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #670 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 10:42:25 »
Bit of a newb question. I'm looking to get this set for an Ergodox, but I don't yet own one as of yet and this will be my first keycap set for it.

I'm guessing that I need the Common set and the Ergodoxian set. Anything else I'm missing?

depends on your layout. You could take the common+2x half ergodox blank OR common+pro text+ergodoxian OR common+ergodoxian+1x half ergodox... it really depends on how you plan to configure your matrix.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #671 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:12:11 »
I'd suggest leaving the space key for the ergodox kit blank as mentioned before. A vertical backspace added would be nice, but I suppose there's always the horizontal one in the modifier set.

Offline justnits

« Reply #672 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:14:13 »

as matt says, it is highly dependable on your layout.
on top of getting base kit and ergodox kit, i'm considering getting text pro kit as well for the 1u modifiers (but if my friend is getting text pro kit for tsangan layout, i'll get the 1u keys that he isn't using.)
and no thanks to matt, now i'm considering nerdom kit and the lost & found kit also  :'(
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #673 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:19:06 »
and no thanks to matt, now i'm considering nerdom kit and the lost & found kit also  :'(

I blame his robot. It's clearly programmed to make us all drool.  :))

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #674 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:15:37 »
I'd suggest leaving the space key for the ergodox kit blank as mentioned before. A vertical backspace added would be nice, but I suppose there's always the horizontal one in the modifier set.

If you want blank space - theres a half set of blanks that should suit. Yep theres the horizontal in the modifier set which should work nicely. Also if you haven't already, please add your layout to the Ergodox Compendium to help shape future Ergodox group buy sets!

Seriously excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel here! :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #675 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:14:26 »
YO is back - YAY!  Albeit as part of lost+found.

If it's not too late, any chance of a 1.25x orange MENU key?

Please?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #676 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:20:56 »

Please?

oh gosh you are right! my bad! trying to fix that!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #677 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:22:26 »

Please?

Hey Matt, good morning... When are you planning to open the GB?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #678 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:23:07 »

Please?

Hey Matt, good morning... When are you planning to open the GB?

as soon as possible :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #679 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:25:56 »
updated :)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #680 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:38:17 »
Hey Matt3o,

can you add 2 light grey (color of the alphas) keys that say something generic like "Fn" to the lost & found?

I could use them as the 2 ISO alphas in case I can't afford the language kit. This is getting so big that I am afraid I can't afford everything I want ;)

I already fell for Macross although and spent a fortune on the Toxic Set - I am basically broke ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #681 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:39:24 »

I suggest to make in dark gray the following symbols of the mono legend: %^&*.

The color contrast will allow easy identification of the corresponding numbers, and in 60% keyboards it will look similar to the function row as well.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #682 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:41:09 »
Hey Matt3o,

can you add 2 light grey (color of the alphas) keys that say something generic like "Fn" to the lost & found?

I could use them as the 2 ISO alphas in case I can't afford the language kit. This is getting so big that I am afraid I can't afford everything I want ;)

I already fell for Macross although and spent a fortune on the Toxic Set - I am basically broke ;)

All Germans have fat wallets, compare to the rest of the world, You cannot complain  :p

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #683 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:44:19 »
I wish  :rolleyes:

Offline wuqe

« Reply #684 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:27:30 »

The color contrast will allow easy identification of the corresponding numbers, and in 60% keyboards it will look similar to the function row as well.

I object: these should be all light to blend in with the non-striped alpha area.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #685 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:28:52 »
OHHHHH!!!! I WANT!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #686 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:30:50 »
guys we talked about this for months now :)

I can't really add more keys now unless there are some blatant errors

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #687 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 15:37:42 »

I object: these should be all light to blend in with the non-striped alpha area.

You always have the base set in the original color.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #688 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:07:00 »
updated :)

Show Image

Sweet, thanks :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #689 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:14:02 »

No, please.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #690 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:20:32 »

No, please.

All right then.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #691 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 17:06:33 »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #692 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 17:35:59 »
SP raised some concerns about copyrighted material in the nerdom kit. I'll probably have to replace some keys.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #693 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 17:43:00 »
Not surprising really. It's their rear ends on the line if the lawyers pop up.

Offline wuqe

« Reply #694 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 20:16:09 »
Do those concerns block price quotes or the start if the group buy, or are they about to be resolved along the way?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #695 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:52:05 »
SP raised some concerns about copyrighted material in the nerdom kit. I'll probably have to replace some keys.

I think I know, but which keys exactly?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #696 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 21:54:38 »
At this point to get the quotation based on number of keys per set has top priority. The icons in Nerdom may be discussed down the road. Even if the GB gets activated.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #697 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 22:13:22 »

Make sure they know, that was not a batman logo, it was the logo we use to summon mkawa when we need to bog the enemy down in details :D :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #698 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:23:44 »

Make sure they know, that was not a batman logo, it was the logo we use to summon mkawa when we need to bog the enemy down in details :D :p

Marvel wil not believe you though  :))

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #699 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:57:22 »

PBT Granite

Blanks

It has been an incredibly difficult set to design. I want to thank all who helped in the process, in random order: jdeblese, Vierax, Muirium, 7bit, Ichigo87, Broadmonkey, Kurk, webwit, riotonthebay, SpAmRaY, ideus, LechnerDE, CommonCurt, Elrick, justnits, stoic-lemon, squarefrog, DamienG, jacobolus and ALL who participated into the IC! (sorry if I missed someone)

Now to the GB!

No Matt.  Thank you for getting this started :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More