Poll

Which realization of Cyrillics do you prefer?

Double shot single letters
Standard QWERTY with front printed Cyrillics

Author Topic: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)  (Read 356812 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] YURI R1 GMK (Cherry profile)
« Reply #850 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 17:11:32 »
I'd like orange space bars personally as I feel it'll give a nice accent to the set but alphas colour is fine too!

Offline mtzgr

• My youtube
« Reply #851 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 20:51:01 »
Anyone opinion on spacebar kit in different color? Orange or alpha colors? I am pretty much open to it. If everyone is ok we'll do it in alpha color.

Please keep the orange spacebars.  :(

Offline giammin

« Reply #852 on: Thu, 26 January 2017, 03:53:33 »
Anyone opinion on spacebar kit in different color? Orange or alpha colors?

guess my preference   ;D

Offline srang

« Reply #853 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 13:17:17 »

Anyone opinion on spacebar kit in different color? Orange or alpha colors? I am pretty much open to it. If everyone is ok we'll do it in alpha color.

Orange space bars please

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #854 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 14:02:10 »
So many people are for the orange spacebar kit. So be it.

Offline srang

« Reply #855 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 14:07:19 »
Yayyyyy

Offline poolside

« Reply #856 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 14:45:36 »

So, that would be a fourth color: red (alpha legends), blue (mods), light grey (alpha base) and orange?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #857 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 14:55:07 »

So, that would be a fourth color: red (alpha legends), blue (mods), light grey (alpha base) and orange?
Four colors? Also you called two colors wrong. Probably your display device (be it a mobile phone or monitor) needs to be calibrated or you are color blind. I hope for the first.

Just for the help: the legends on mods and alphas are orange but close to red. The mods are deep blue and the alphas are light blue.

Offline srang

« Reply #858 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 15:28:21 »

Four colors? Also you called two colors wrong. Probably your display device (be it a mobile phone or monitor) needs to be calibrated or you are color blind. I hope for the first.

Just for the help: the legends on mods and alphas are orange but close to red. The mods are deep blue and the alphas are light blue.
I actually meant to ask this earlier but in the new(ish) renders, the alpha base seems less blue than the original renders. I think I remember seeing that you had sample color chips at one point. Is the color closer to the gmk renders or zambumon's?

Offline poolside

« Reply #859 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 15:37:39 »

Ok, so that would be orange-red/red-orange spacebars, thanks. I was picturing Carbon-orange spacebars. I went a few pages up in the thread to have another  look at the sample keycaps.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #860 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 15:44:29 »

I actually meant to ask this earlier but in the new(ish) renders, the alpha base seems less blue than the original renders. I think I remember seeing that you had sample color chips at one point. Is the color closer to the gmk renders or zambumon's?

This might be a rendering thing. You know the shadows and so on. I gave zambumon the exact color codes, which are used for my mockups. Thus they are pretty right. Honestly (knowing about shadows in the renders) i dont see a difference...

Also i'd like to note that there is probably a slightly difference between the color codes and the samples i got for Yuri. But that is usual, since GMK matched the samples to the color codes and they did a great job. The samples are great and their color deliver even a better vibe in person as displayed in mockups.

Offline srang

« Reply #861 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:01:15 »

This might be a rendering thing. You know the shadows and so on. I gave zambumon the exact color codes, which are used for my mockups. Thus they are pretty right. Honestly (knowing about shadows in the renders) i dont see a difference...

Also i'd like to note that there is probably a slightly difference between the color codes and the samples i got for Yuri. But that is usual, since GMK matched the samples to the color codes and they did a great job. The samples are great and their color deliver even a better vibe in person as displayed in mockups.
Okay, yeah it may just be my monitor then. I was just worried that there had been a decision to lighten the blue even more that I had missed or something (on my monitor the alphas almost look like they have a white base). At this point I trust you completely to make the set perfect!! Can't wait for this to drop

PS (carbon is amazing!!!)

Offline need

« Reply #862 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:51:38 »
Imagine having two alpha coloured split-spacebars... that would look amazing. Now imagine two orange split-spacebars, that's just too loud :(

I guess I only like orange being an accent colour, not a big slab of it. After all it's the subdued feel of YURI that I liked.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:55:38 by need »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #863 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:59:41 »
Imagine having two alpha coloured split-spacebars... that would look amazing. Now imagine two orange split-spacebars, that's just too loud :(

I guess I only like orange being an accent colour, not a big slab of it. After all it's the subdued feel of YURI that I liked.

I share your opinion. I am thinking about offering two spacebar kits. Orange and alpha blue. Guess hitting moq will be hard.

Offline srang

« Reply #864 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 18:04:21 »

I share your opinion. I am thinking about offering two spacebar kits. Orange and alpha blue. Guess hitting moq will be hard.
given the choice between alpha space bars and not hitting moq, I'd take alpha space bars. I'd even be open to paying more and getting both so that everyone is happy and we hit moq. But maybe that's just me

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #865 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 19:06:47 »

Yea alpha bars will also be great, I like orange so I'm biased toward that but either way I am happy. If offering two separate kits is feasible then maybe it's worth a shot, if it's not looking too hot after a couple days then maybe removing the one that is doing the worst in benefit of the other might be doable with Massdrop's help?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #866 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 19:27:41 »
Can you make it to be alpha color for smaller bars and orange color for bigger bars in one kit? I love seeing accent bars on big board but it will be too loud for small board (40ish).

That new convex 2u for planck is HYPE btw. I don't know, maybe someday there will be 1u space bar buttons too, my Grid Planck will be perfect  :p

Offline srang

« Reply #867 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 19:33:00 »
Can you make it to be alpha color for smaller bars and orange color for bigger bars in one kit? I love seeing accent bars on big board but it will be too loud for small board (40ish).

That new convex 2u for planck is HYPE btw. I don't know, maybe someday there will be 1u space bar buttons too, my Grid Planck will be perfect 
This seems like a good idea. Might even make sense to have a poll or something

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #868 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 16:54:38 »
I'd probably buy both the spacebar sets.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #869 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 17:22:46 »
I'd like to offer spacebar kits in both colors. Though each color will have its moq and thus the better might win. Best case scenario would be both tiping :)

Offline srang

« Reply #870 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 17:35:57 »
I'd like to offer spacebar kits in both colors. Though each color will have its moq and thus the better might win. Best case scenario would be both tiping :)
You're the boss, Boss   but I am also starting to come around to the idea of the alpha spacebar kit. I just ordered the smokey oasis jelly key which would go really nice with that... Who knows, might even have to order both space bar kits.... _Begins agressive budgeting_

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #871 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 18:18:48 »

Yea I'd buy both, I like space bar kits a lot.

Offline flyboyalif

« Reply #872 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 21:51:04 »
i wanted for this keysets !  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline srang

« Reply #873 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 08:26:36 »
So what sizes would be in the alpha spacebar kit? Since some sizes are in base kit? Or would those get pulled out?

Offline krisst

« Reply #874 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 09:32:22 »
So what sizes would be in the alpha spacebar kit? Since some sizes are in base kit? Or would those get pulled out?

Since alpha spacebars are already in the base kit. Those 4 sizes, 2.75u, 2.25u, 2u, 1.75u alpha spacebars could be added to the spacebar kit with all those orange spacebars to make things easier, with less kits. This would add some cost to the existing spacebar kit and help with MOQ too.

Offline srang

« Reply #875 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 10:49:00 »

Since alpha spacebars are already in the base kit. Those 4 sizes, 2.75u, 2.25u, 2u, 1.75u alpha spacebars could be added to the spacebar kit with all those orange spacebars to make things easier, with less kits. This would add some cost to the existing spacebar kit and help with MOQ too.
You read my thoughts

Offline krisst

« Reply #876 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 11:23:11 »

You read my thoughts

Thanks. Personally will most likely be joining this GB when it launches. Last I heard, the plan is the run the GB in April. There have been too many keysets GB running recently, which is a good thing as a consumer, just have to be more picky as a buyer.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #877 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 11:42:01 »
Very interested, when the gb will launch?

Offline srang

« Reply #878 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 12:04:43 »
Very interested, when the gb will launch?
I heard sometime in April

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #879 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 14:18:40 »

I understadn but guess there are people who buy the spacebar kit just for additional extra spacebars, despite base set having those already.

Offline srang

« Reply #880 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 14:50:45 »

I understadn but guess there are people who buy the spacebar kit just for additional extra spacebars, despite base set having those already.
Might be worth a poll. I'd get both kits but if the alpha kit has duplicates with the spacebars in the base kit I think it'd have a harder time hitting moq.

Offline Solaris

• 3dnews
« Reply #881 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:05:27 »
Can't wait for Cyrillic kit and Glorious key haha ;D

Offline laaurora

« Reply #882 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 23:57:48 »
I have no MX-compatible keyboards, so I'm not your target audience. I still couldn't stop myself from reading all of this thread for some reason.

The colors you chose are beautiful. And truth to be told, when you first mentioned you plan to create cyrillic letters out of the latin ones, I was waiting for some kind of car crush to happen. It never works, but you made it work somehow. Your attention to detail and the amount of revisions you've done for this project kept impressing me again and again as I was reading. I just had to post here to show my respect.

PS. Cyrillic-only board is still a very very weird idea.

Offline flyboyalif

« Reply #883 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 09:20:19 »
I have no MX-compatible keyboards, so I'm not your target audience. I still couldn't stop myself from reading all of this thread for some reason.

The colors you chose are beautiful. And truth to be told, when you first mentioned you plan to create cyrillic letters out of the latin ones, I was waiting for some kind of car crush to happen. It never works, but you made it work somehow. Your attention to detail and the amount of revisions you've done for this project kept impressing me again and again as I was reading. I just had to post here to show my respect.

why dont u change your slider to MX compatible ? this is only solution for topre user such my hhkb-s

Offline Data

« Reply #884 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 09:24:43 »

why dont u change your slider to MX compatible ? this is only solution for topre user such my hhkb-s

Or... return to the light and embrace the magic of MX mechanical switches.  CHERRY #1

Offline laaurora

« Reply #885 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:09:55 »

I really like the color schemes of some custom keysets. They look very refreshing compared to what I always thought the keyboards were supposed to look like. I also find the look of SA profile old-new and charming.

I don't necessarily want any of that on my keyboard though. I know the novelty would wear off after few days and I'd be there looking for something new and wasting tons of money on it. I don't want to get sucked into that black hole -)

Stock HHKB keycaps feel very nicely shaped, textured and solid. And classic grey-white scheme looks good on my table and won't get old, because it's already kind of old. I will keep an eye on a custom Control and Fn keys for usability reasons and a bit of fun, but I'm content with just looking at the pictures of these wonderful MX keysets otherwise -)

Offline giammin

« Reply #886 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:17:27 »
I know the novelty would wear off after few days and I'd be there looking for something new and wasting tons of money on it. I don't want to get sucked into that black hole -)

doubleshot dont wear off

worst  can happen after a lot of use is the shine (only on abs keycaps and not pbt)

hhkb keycaps are pbt but specebar is abs so you will know what is the shine i'm refering to
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:21:15 by giammin »

Offline laaurora

« Reply #887 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 10:51:55 »
I know the novelty would wear off after few days and I'd be there looking for something new and wasting tons of money on it. I don't want to get sucked into that black hole -)

doubleshot dont wear off

worst  can happen after a lot of use is the shine (only on abs keycaps and not pbt)

hhkb keycaps are pbt but specebar is abs so you will know what is the shine i'm refering to
I didn't mean physical condition of the keys. It's the feeling of excitement and freshness that would wear off, making me crave something new again and again.

I don't care about the shine that much, but I can always buy a replacement spacebar if it gets too bad.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #888 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 11:08:47 »
Everyone will return to mx (not leaving topre). Just be honest to yourself. Get an mx board and be happy with mx and topre :)
Thanks for the kind words.

Ofcourse i've tested before posting IC, if its possible to replicate the font from scans (despite me having no experience in typefont development). Else i wouldn't do the IC. It costed me stupid amount of time to replicate the font but looking back at proper cherry cyrillics i think it was well worth it. Still unhappy with gorton modified cyrillics. In case GMK Yuri will be succesfull and thus plans go towards SP SA Yuri - i will review and rework gorton modified cyrillics.

Its weird to see cyrillics used by people who dont speak russian (or other slavic languages). But the reason is simple: aesthetics. Also that only cyrillics alphas can be easily used as kind of special blanks.

Offline laaurora

« Reply #889 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 11:56:30 »
Everyone will return to mx (not leaving topre). Just be honest to yourself. Get an mx board and be happy with mx and topre :)
I have tried a couple of mx boards in store before but I never owned one. I went from apple's chiclets straight to topre and I really really hope to stay where I am for a while -) There are just a lot of other things demanding my wallet's attention right now.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ofcourse i've tested before posting IC, if its possible to replicate the font from scans (despite me having no experience in typefont development). Else i wouldn't do the IC. It costed me stupid amount of time to replicate the font but looking back at proper cherry cyrillics i think it was well worth it. Still unhappy with gorton modified cyrillics. In case GMK Yuri will be succesfull and thus plans go towards SP SA Yuri - i will review and rework gorton modified cyrillics.
The resulting cyrillics are no way perfect (Ы looks very wide next to Ф etc) it's still such a huge improvement over the cherry version, so I don't think anyone can complain. I always wondered why no existing font is being used for this kind of thing though. Aren't there a bunch of free ones out there? And even commercial ones are in the range of $20-$100 per style, which is nothing compared to the overall cost of production.

Its weird to see cyrillics used by people who dont speak russian (or other slavic languages). But the reason is simple: aesthetics. Also that only cyrillics alphas can be easily used as kind of special blanks.
I understand. It's just I had a lot of worries as I was doing research for my keyboard purchase. As a native speaker of russian who did not touch type, my options seemed very limited. There were a lot of nice keyboards and keysets available, but very few from the ones I liked offered the cyrillic legends to make them usable for me.

I chose topre, so in the end I had no choice but to polish my touch typing. Still seeing a beautiful cyrillics keyset, that no native speaker can actually use, seems such a waste and borderline mockery -)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #890 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 12:54:58 »
Still seeing a beautiful cyrillics keyset, that no native speaker can actually use, seems such a waste and borderline mockery -) 

Legends that serves no purpose, but looking good, is just one example of many aspects of keyboard aficionados' paraphernalia that is common in this hobby. Even if I like them, it is very hard for my personal economy to justify buying something like this; but, I am pretty sure it will get its share of demand when it reaches the GB phase.

Offline Data

« Reply #891 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:04:00 »
If it looks good to you it's never a waste.

Offline laaurora

« Reply #892 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:03:24 »
Legends that serves no purpose, but looking good, is just one example of many aspects of keyboard aficionados' paraphernalia that is common in this hobby. Even if I like them, it is very hard for my personal economy to justify buying something like this; but, I am pretty sure it will get its share of demand when it reaches the GB phase.

If it looks good to you it's never a waste.

I was very surprised to find out such thing as 'using cyrillic legends for purely decorative purposes' even exists, to be honest. I'm a designer by trade, and I'm facing a lot of frustration every time I have to deal with this writing system. It's much more awkward and less refined than latin script. And the legends cherry used only make things worse.

I do get the exotic factor though, and I truly have nothing against legend choices for purely aesthetic reasons. I just shared another perspective on the issue – the perspective of people who actually need cyrillic legends in order to use their keyboard. The choices they have are pretty limited and this set, despite the theme, will not be broadening them. Which is ok, I guess.

Offline lyk503

« Reply #893 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 16:20:35 »
Wow this set looks amazing. I wonder if there is interest for orange arrow keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Solaris

• 3dnews
« Reply #894 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 17:03:40 »

I agree. Combined Cyrillic/Latin would be much better but I guess it's impossible to do that with GMK keys. That's very unfortunate.

Offline colbs

« Reply #895 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 19:33:30 »
Hi all,

First off, I love this set!

I have a question for those with some more experience on these group buys (I am fairly new to the community).  I would like to get both the yuri and nautilus sets.  Based on this thread, it seems the consensus is that yuri will be dropped sometime in April.  On the massdrop discussion page, Zambumon said nautilus will drop in either April or May.  Is it common for GMK sets to drop within a month of each other?  If the two sets might drop one right after the other, I want to make sure to stash enough funds to ensure I don't miss out on one of them.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I am sorry if this post isn't quite on topic for an IC for yuri, but I wasn't sure where it would be appropriate to ask this question

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #896 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 21:53:11 »
P.S. I am sorry if this post isn't quite on topic for an IC for yuri, but I wasn't sure where it would be appropriate to ask this question

I'd say it is unlikely that they'd drop around the same time - mostly not because of GMK but because of Massdrop, as a rule of thumb they seem to run custom sets every other month, once a month at most, so you shouldn't have to worry about both of them dropping in April at least. Plum is currently active and as far as I'm aware Mito's Laser is still on track for a Q1 release so I'd imagine if Yuri is to drop in April then Nautilus might be a late May release or so (or vice versa, if that happens to be the case).

This is all speculation and guesstimating obviously - should easily have at least one month in between releases.

Offline colbs

« Reply #897 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 22:28:02 »
This is all speculation and guesstimating obviously - should easily have at least one month in between releases.

Thanks for the info!  It seems there are a bunch of great sets dropping soon (I forgot about laser, another awesome looking set).  Time to get the wallet prepared!

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #898 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 12:58:58 »

Thanks for the info!  It seems there are a bunch of great sets dropping soon (I forgot about laser, another awesome looking set).  Time to get the wallet prepared!

Plum, Andes Mint, Yuri, SNES, Laser. Good year for GMK keysets!

Offline johuu

« Reply #899 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 13:20:47 »

Plum, Andes Mint, Yuri, SNES, Laser. Good year for GMK keysets!

Indeed, don't forget Black Lotus and Nautilus.