Author Topic: Data General 6246-A  (Read 4150 times)

Offline OldIsNew

Data General 6246-A
« on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 12:33:40 »
This is a kind of cool old board with 3rd gen Fujitsu leaf spring switches.

228060-0         228078-1

Opened:

228082-2         228064-3        228066-4           

Desoldered the ribbon cable attaching the top PCB and traced out the matrix to wire the Teensy.
BTW this PCB seemed a little touchier than most, I did lift a pad and so used a bridge wire. Can also see part of pad on pin 3 got lifted too!

228068-5               228070-6

Then wired the LEDs and speaker to the Teensy, reattached the the top PCB and closed it up. I did set up a key to toggle the speaker so I don't have to listen to it all the time.

228072-7          228074-8

Very nice smooth switches IMO. Here's a short video of typing on it (well banging on some keys anyway):

The matrix I came up with if anyone is interested:

228076-9       
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2019, 12:01:49 by OldIsNew »

Offline mizzoperator

• "This can't be good for me, but I feel great!"
    • Milk Time: The Mizz Domain
Re: Data General 6246-A
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 October 2019, 08:21:46 »
Noice! I like old boards like this. Chunky, fat lads.
Although, judging by the sound of the switches in the video, they sound kind of scratchy.
That's probably just me, though. Good work, mate!
Linears are for linear people. No offense if you use linears.
I prefer tactile switches, I'm reluctantly using the AULA SI-859 and my pronouns are she/her.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 12:17:26 »
... Although, judging by the sound of the switches in the video, they sound kind of scratchy.
That's probably just me, though. Good work, mate!

Thanks! Actually they're not scratchy at all, maybe the sound is deceiving. Fujitsu leaf springs really are some of the smoothest switches around. I really like them!

Offline netbike

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 20:13:39 »
Hi there,

I am working on one of this beauty for usb convertion.  Can you please share codes with me?  Would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Anthony

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 00:40:48 »
Hi there,
I am working on one of this beauty for usb convertion.  Can you please share codes with me?  Would be appreciated.

Would be happy to. I'm using code I wrote using the Teensyduino add on for Arduino so it's very basic but it does work.  I'll clean it up a bit and put in some more comments so hopefully its more readable and try to get something posted soon. Writing my own bits of code for my keyboards is just part of the hobby for me so this is not polished stuff! If you want to look at building some professional level firmware, matt3o posted a very nice tutorial on modifying Hasu's TMK code for custom keyboard firmware on DT:  https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=7177

Offline netbike

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 01:02:54 »
Thanks very much for your reply and looking forward to.

Cheers,

Anthony

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 21:59:32 »
Hi there,
...  Can you please share codes with me?  Would be appreciated.

Since you asked,  this is the Teensyduino code I used for the keyboard. I got the basic coding ideas from a tutorial mepler posted here: https://www.instructables.com/id/RaspTI-Convert-a-Vintage-Computer-TI-994A-into/ , and have made modifications and additions for several of my keyboards since.  There is a lot of redundant code and it could be very significantly shortened, but since I'm not a programmer, don't really care, and did it for my own amusement, I'm not going to redo my brute force cut and paste program at this point (well maybe I will at some point just for the heck of it).  Anyway, while this is not to held up as an example of programming technique, it does at least give you an idea of how you can do your own coding on the Teensy for your keyboards.  I think it's fun!

My Brute Force Homebrew Teensyduino  code for the Data General 6246-A:   * Dat_Gen_6246-A.ino (48.35 kB - downloaded 87 times.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 22:15:47 by OldIsNew »

Offline netbike

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 05:53:07 »
Hi Thanks for sharing. I am not a programmer as well.  As long as the code works, I will be happy.  I will do the mod asap and will give you feed back.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 07:40:41 »
Hi Thanks for sharing. I am not a programmer as well.  As long as the code works, I will be happy.  I will do the mod asap and will give you feed back.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Your welcome. However,  it's important to understand that this is just my hobby level code that works for the way I wired my board! It works for the specific way I set up the the Teensy pins and order of rows/columns in my matrix diagram, etc. Your board would have to be the same board and  wired in exactly the same order for you to just be able to compile and flash this. You would need to make modifications based on the set up of your own board. I only posted it because it sounded like you were curious to see it.  For sure I did not put this out there as an example of good programming technique or as something  that people should actually use on their board as is.  I really only posted it just as an example of how Arduino code can be used if you want to do your own keyboard firmware for the fun of it.

Offline netbike

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 10:45:16 »

Thanks again.

Anthony

Your welcome. However,  it's important to understand that this is just my hobby level code that works for the way I wired my board! It works for the specific way I set up the the Teensy pins and order of rows/columns in my matrix diagram, etc. Your board would have to be the same board and  wired in exactly the same order for you to just be able to compile and flash this. You would need to make modifications based on the set up of your own board. I only posted it because it sounded like you were curious to see it.  For sure I did not put this out there as an example of good programming technique or as something  that people should actually use on their board as is.  I really only posted it just as an example of how Arduino code can be used if you want to do your own keyboard firmware for the fun of it.

Thanks,

I have the same keyboard and same teensy++2.0 and this should work.  Will tell you the result.

Thanks again.

Offline netbike

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 08:30:00 »

Thanks again.

Anthony

Thanks,

I have the same keyboard and same teensy++2.0 and this should work.  Will tell you the result.

Thanks again.

Hi, just did the teensy mod and it works except some keys are not actuated. I believe they are bad switches and need further handle.  Will install the leds and speakers to the case and remove the original smaller pcb as this is of no use anymore.

Will try to remap some keys to my taste and it will be all set.

Thanks very much for your sharing of codes.

Best regards,

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 October 2019, 00:24:53 »
I'm glad it worked for you, it is a very cool old board!