Author Topic: Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)  (Read 350444 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 03:26:40 »
Okay, I will check tomorrow, I am not surprised if I screwed it up :P  There are so many files :-).  I have even more files with the case...  I am about to go to bed...  zzzzzzz....

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #501 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 03:42:57 »
That acrylic case looks AMAZING. Do want.

Offline Tarkoon

« Reply #502 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 05:48:06 »
@Lister
How is the plate/PCB attached to the case? I don't see any connection points...

Offline ishtob

« Reply #503 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 06:29:32 »
Quote from: litster;461776
So it is doable.  That is good.  What is the diameter for the rods?

i used the 1/16 rods, they fit real well

Offline ishtob

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 06:33:14 »
making the case both phantom and filco compatible would give us more buyers and maybe drive down the price

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #505 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 09:44:13 »
The shoulder bolt may be difficult due to the thickness of the shoulder if you're going to counter-sink it.  An undercut flat-head may be a better choice to get the flat/countersunk finish.  Definitely MC for the screws and so forth :)

Another interesting thing with painting acrylic is painting the internal surfaces only.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline litster

« Reply #506 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 10:21:31 »
Quote from: Tarkoon;461869
@Lister
How is the plate/PCB attached to the case? I don't see any connection points...
See the 3rd bullet in my post here http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23572-Phantom-Custom-Keyboard-Group-Buy-(Order-Only)&p=461761&viewfull=1#post461761

Quote from: ishtob;461876
making the case both phantom and filco compatible would give us more buyers and maybe drive down the price
The bottom 2 layers are compatible between the two.  The top are kind off compatible.  The Filco top two layers should work for Phantom, but not perfectly.  I think I will decide later once the Phantom prototype is built with PCB and plate.  

What I want to know is, is $250 shipped for this case too expensive?  It should be less than that, but shipping is going to be expensive as acrylic is heavy, more so for EU folks.  If this could be made in EU then the EU orders would in cur less for shipping.  To me $250 is too much for this case.  Especially because it is not perfect.  It will require some polishing.  As a kit you can make for fun, yes it is worth it.  As a final, fully finished product, it isn't.  Well, I haven't been able to make it so anyway.

Offline litster

« Reply #507 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 10:24:16 »
alaricljs and harrison, thanks for the screw ideas.  I will check out MC.   Counter sink is hard to do because of layers.  I could use a thicker top layer, but laser can't cut count sink, so it will have to be done manually (with a drill bit or is there a better way to do it?).

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #508 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 10:26:31 »
Quote from: litster;461963

What I want to know is, is $250 shipped for this case too expensive?

Yes, but with that said I would still pay it. I wasn't going to do this phantom thing but your case has convinced me and now I am very interested.

Will this case be Filco Compatible in the final version? or will it be necessary to order the phantom pcb?
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline litster

« Reply #509 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 10:33:53 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;461968
Yes, but with that said I would still pay it. I wasn't going to do this phantom thing but your case has convinced me and now I am very interested.

Will this case be Filco Compatible in the final version? or will it be necessary to order the phantom pcb?

I think I can make it fit both, there will be some compromises though.  The top 2 layers could fit Phantom better if it is Phantom-specific.  But I bet other people don't notice the difference.

Oh, I don't think I made it clear.  The pictures I took of the case has a Filco 1 installed in it, not the Phantom.  Just in case people are wondering.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #510 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 10:53:32 »
This might sound like blasphemy, but I like my Filco and would really only want to replace the case as I am satisfied with the layout and programming of the keyboard.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #511 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:00:55 »
There are specific bits for countersinking that match the angle of the screw head.  You can get a selection at Home Depot, here's a pic from Amazon.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline litster

« Reply #512 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:21:28 »
Quote from: alaricljs;462002
There are specific bits for countersinking that match the angle of the screw head.  You can get a selection at Home Depot, here's a pic from Amazon.

Thanks for the link.  If I do this, I would need a thicker top plate than I have now, and more manual labor... :-)  I wonder how well acrylic would hold up if I jsut screw into acrylic, kind of like the IBM Model screws screw directly into the plastic case.  What do you call that kind of screws?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #513 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:25:33 »
Self tapping screws for plastic.  You typically drill pilot holes the diameter of the screw shank (the diameter of the screw if you subtract the threads).  As always, McMaster  has a wide selection.  Skip over the sheet metal screws and you'll find several 'for plastics'.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline DaemonRaccoon

« Reply #514 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 11:47:19 »
Quote from: litster;462013
Thanks for the link.  If I do this, I would need a thicker top plate than I have now, and more manual labor... :-)  I wonder how well acrylic would hold up if I jsut screw into acrylic, kind of like the IBM Model screws screw directly into the plastic case.  What do you call that kind of screws?

They're called Shank-Screws, it's a kind of self-tapping screw.

EDIT: LOL Ninja'd
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline litster

« Reply #515 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:21:20 »
Cool, I need to get some of those tappering screws and test with my acrylic to see if they would crack the case.  

What do you guys think about detactable USB cable?  Take a look at the picture of the back side of my case.  The Filco cable has this notchy thing on it and I designed the cut out to make that notchy thing fit perfectly.  But for Phantom I don't know what cable to use.  There is already a mini USB connector the Teensy.  So the simplest way to do this is to just plug a minu USB cable into the Teensy and close the case up and be done with, maybe a zip tie to tie it down or make it so you can yank it out of the case.

I would love to hear ideas on how it could be done, as I would need to accomodate this feature with the case design.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #516 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 13:35:27 »
Quote from: harrison;461934
The case looks fantastic, i'll absolutely be ordering one.  I think an etched/engraved logo will be much better than a fully cut logo anyhow.

I think the screws that get used should be Countersunk flat-head, but that of course requires the use of a countersink on the top plate, which is likely going to be an issue.  The biggest benefit is that the top surface of the case will be flat after the screws are installed.  Perhaps I can do this on my own by using my own hardware.  McMaster-Carr is likely going to be the best way to get a mass order of hardware of a known quality.

Alternatively, a shoulder bolt might be kind of cool, and could eliminate the possibility of over-tightening and cracking the top layer.

For run-of-the-mill, a panhead bolt will likely do the trick.

Also, painting acrylic is very simple.  A little masking and light sanding, and you could easily paint the layers prior to assembly.  I personally think i'd prefer a smoked black case rather than full-clear.  I'm not sure whether doing an order with varying materials is going to result in a significantly higher per-unit cost, as you won't be able to buy as much quantity of any one material.

Yeah, I was looking into rather doing it with shoulder hex bolts, 'cause it'll look really professional when done. Why flathead, unless you man the top of the screwhead being flat, not the slotted screw type.

I still very well might end up building my own, but an official case would still be excellent.

Offline litster

« Reply #517 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 14:29:58 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;461839
Litster I think you simply uploaded the wrong screenshot, PHISO125 and PHANSI125 both are the same image.

Fixed.  Please check to confirm.  

This has been done I think. You should have the dxf litster, could you please update the second post? Tell me if there is something more I need to do...

Zip file has been attached to the 2nd post as well.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #518 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 14:58:46 »
I am not sure if screwing in acrylic is the best idea. You can press in brass fittings and screw into that.

Offline litster

« Reply #519 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 15:00:48 »
Quote from: laffindude;462229
I am not sure if screwing in acrylic is the best idea. You can press in brass fittings and screw into that.

laffindude, any sample pictures you can point me to?  Thanks.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #520 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 15:08:16 »
http://www.professionalfastenerservices.co.uk/images/M4%20inserst.jpg
I think they're called brass inserts. Basically it has perpendicular grooves on the outside to hold it in place against the direction of your screw direction.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #521 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 21:46:06 »
i got back the first test plates today. they are rough around the edges, but that can be sanded down easily. gonna shoot these off to litster and we can get this rolling if they check out.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33670[/ATTACH]
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline litster

« Reply #522 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:00:19 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;462476
i got back the first test plates today. they are rough around the edges, but that can be sanded down easily. gonna shoot these off to litster and we can get this rolling if they check out.

(Attachment Link) 33670[/ATTACH]

Sweeeet!  Thanks BiNiaRiS!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #523 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 22:32:47 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;461839
This has been done I think. You should have the dxf litster, could you please update the second post? Tell me if there is something more I need to do...

Thanks now I just have to find out a place to send this off to to get cut

Offline litster

« Reply #524 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 23:28:35 »
The more I look at the acrylic case, the more I think it looks weird.  Then I realized because it is so flat, and the front is so high comparing to the actual Filco case.

I don't like it!!!!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #525 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 00:16:08 »
Flat is okay, but I also notice that it's a lot higher. What's all the space under the board used for?

Offline ishtob

« Reply #526 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 00:26:44 »
the koreans uses something thinner for the last layer, then uses feets to tilt it

Offline litster

« Reply #527 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 00:51:37 »
The last layer is the bottom, the layer about that layer, with the phantom text cutout, is about 3/8" think, because I need to cut out the area about the Phantom text to make room for either the Filco connector or the Phantom's Teensy controller.  Because of my flat design, to make from for these two items, even though they are toward the back of the case, the same thickness is all there for the front.  It sucks.

I need a different design.  The Phatom design should fit the Filco case perfectly.  But my Acrylic case design is not like Filco's case.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #528 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 04:10:38 »
I agree. The bottom plate could be much thinner. I think that you need only a smaller box on the underside around the controller and cable.  The keyboard case would of course tilt forwards and require rubber feet

I think that for stability, the box on the underside should extend to the left and right more than the required space, but for looks, it should not extend all the way, leaving a cm or so on the left and right ends. Alternatively, use large screw-on feet on the left and right sides.

I think that the plate could be suspended from the bottom plate with nylon spacers (commonly found in hardware stores) put inside the four large holes in the PCB.
🍉

Offline Tarkoon

« Reply #529 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 13:29:38 »
Did you change the estimated price for the kits?
OP says 125$ for PHISOREDKIT, but the mail I got today says 150$.
I know the prices are only estimated, but it would be good to have the latest estimation in the OP - that people finding this thread and getting interested get the right idea of prices...

Offline litster

« Reply #530 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 15:08:18 »
I am changing the design.  That Phantom text cut out will be gone.  The material for that piece was over $25 and the lasercut time is very long, for it is both thick, and a lot of lines to trace.  The new design, if I do it right, should have a sloped key surface as the front row will sink in lower.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #531 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 15:25:13 »
Lister, when you are done with the case would you please share the CAD drawings?

Offline litster

« Reply #532 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 17:14:23 »
The $25 I mention previously is just for one of the 4 layers.  Material cost for the whole case that I cut 2 days ago is about $55.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #533 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 17:15:09 »
I've looked through most of this threading hoping to find anything about the case design for the ANSI layout without windows keys.  Does anyone have any suggestions for that?  If plexi case comes together, perhaps there will need to be a separate top plate with coveres for those spaces?
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline dux

« Reply #534 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 19:28:57 »
Plu Dimensions:
size of PCB 122 * 345 mm , one or 2 mm more would not be a problem
size of plate 128 * 349 mm, the 128 should be rather precise cut

distance between:
ESC and F1: 38 mm
F9 to Pause/Break : 119 mm
ESC and Pause/Break : 328.5 mm
Pause/Break and Right Arrow: 104 mm
Distance between all the holes on the PCB for the supporting posts on the bottom of the keyboard case

I measuerd all holes from the middle of the hole.
All upper holes have the distance of 22.5mm from the upper edge of the PCB.
The distances of the upper 3 holes from left (CapsLock side) to the right side are:
left edge to 1st hole: 56mm, 1st hole to 2nd hole: 115.5mm, 2nd hole to the 3rd hole: 115.5mm, 3rd hole to the right edge: 58.5mm.

Lower right (CapsLock Side) hole: 13mm to the bottom edge, 58.5mm to the right edge.
Lower left hole: 36mm to the left edge, 37.5mm to the bottom edge.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33926[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

« Reply #535 on: Sun, 04 December 2011, 23:00:01 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;464076
I've looked through most of this threading hoping to find anything about the case design for the ANSI layout without windows keys.  Does anyone have any suggestions for that?  If plexi case comes together, perhaps there will need to be a separate top plate with coveres for those spaces?

*If* the acrylic case come together, creating a design for ANSI with no Win key shouldn't be a problem.  Whether it would be made is a different question.  When it come to pass, remind me.

Offline litster

« Reply #536 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 03:56:22 »
Quote from: dux;464152
Plu Dimensions:
size of PCB 122 * 345 mm , one or 2 mm more would not be a problem
size of plate 128 * 349 mm, the 128 should be rather precise cut

distance between:
ESC and F1: 38 mm
F9 to Pause/Break : 119 mm
ESC and Pause/Break : 328.5 mm
Pause/Break and Right Arrow: 104 mm
Distance between all the holes on the PCB for the supporting posts on the bottom of the keyboard case

I measuerd all holes from the middle of the hole.
All upper holes have the distance of 22.5mm from the upper edge of the PCB.
The distances of the upper 3 holes from left (CapsLock side) to the right side are:
left edge to 1st hole: 56mm, 1st hole to 2nd hole: 115.5mm, 2nd hole to the 3rd hole: 115.5mm, 3rd hole to the right edge: 58.5mm.

Lower right (CapsLock Side) hole: 13mm to the bottom edge, 58.5mm to the right edge.
Lower left hole: 36mm to the left edge, 37.5mm to the bottom edge.

(Attachment Link) 33926[/ATTACH]

Thanks Dux!  I still need to match your measurements with my Filco case, but they sound about the same as Filco.  You picture helps too.  PLU has its controller under the PCB, which could be a problem.  The cable connector seems to be at the same location as Filco.  The plate also has its top and bottom bend down, just like Filco's.

Do you have a Filco that you can compare your PLU to?  Thanks.

Offline dux

« Reply #537 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 04:33:09 »
Quote from: litster;464364

Do you have a Filco that you can compare your PLU to?  Thanks.

I dont't but would do more measurings or pictures as long my plu is open (but I would like to put it together again rather soon:).

btw why post editor works only in safari? is it only me?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 33986[/ATTACH]

Quote from: litster;464364
PLU has its controller under the PCB, which could be a problem  

why do you think that?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #538 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 07:24:28 »
Im glad that we are getting somewhere with the PLU case. I have a few lined up if they end up matching.

If anyone cares I finally updated my layout ow that the ISO like left shift is possible http://tinyurl.com/d4geptb .

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #539 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 13:14:04 »
Quote from: litster;464271
*If* the acrylic case come together, creating a design for ANSI with no Win key shouldn't be a problem.  Whether it would be made is a different question.  When it come to pass, remind me.

If I get a case, I'd be fine sanding out the extra lines for the 7bit layout.

Offline litster

Screws
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 03:13:31 »
I am still working on the case.  I need some help.  I am looking through so of the Korean keyboards, and I wonder if anyone knows what kind of nuts and bolts are these?  And if these nuts and bolts could be obtained in the USA?  Thanks.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=photo&page=2&document_srl=3253909

Click the top of the images to zoom in.

Offline kps

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 03:26:27 »
Quote from: litster;465071
I am looking through so of the Korean keyboards, and I wonder if anyone knows what kind of nuts and bolts are these?  And if these nuts and bolts could be obtained in the USA?
In the US they're called “cap screws” or more specifically “hex cap screws” (or bolts), and are available anywhere that sells fasteners.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 03:27:37 »
They look like allen headed bolts to me.
a.k.a hex headed screws

Offline litster

« Reply #543 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 03:31:14 »
OK, I think I know how they do it.  The top two layers and the bottom two layers are glued together, and the top most and the bottom most layer have bigger holes so the nuts are sunk into the first layer, and the second layer has just small holes for screws to go through.

Good pictures here: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mid=photo&page=4&document_srl=3239585

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #544 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 08:34:45 »
BTW - some of those nuts are normal and some are acorn lock nuts.  The lock part is a disk of nylon jammed in the nut that the threads of the screw are driven through and it holds the nut against vibration.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline litster

« Reply #545 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 10:40:19 »
Thanks alaricljs.  Acorn lock nuts are much thicker, right?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #546 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 11:15:24 »
Yeah, you have a standard thickness hex portion and then a bulbous protrusion out one end that holds the plastic, makes it about double-thick.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline litster

« Reply #547 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 11:39:38 »
I should be able to find these acorn lock nuts on mcmaster.com?  I will need to get some to incorporate them to the design.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #548 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 11:52:23 »
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-locknuts/=f8wcdc   - Just find the cheapest version, but there are thin ones available if you need that :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline litster

« Reply #549 on: Wed, 07 December 2011, 01:02:19 »
I might have solved the thickness problem.  If you can't make a slope, make steps instead.  This case is going to be junked and I will have to make a new one.  This one has so many test holes in it, but it is a worthy prototype.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34174[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34175[/ATTACH]