Author Topic: Budget build advice  (Read 1285 times)

Offline W1SH

Budget build advice
« on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 14:18:38 »
Hi nerds,
I'm relatively new to keyboards, and am beginning to get into the weeds a bit more. I've now passed the point of no return and I'm determined to build my own custom to replace the stock I have now. However, I want to try to avoid breaking the bank completely by staying at around a $150 - $160 USD price point. So far, I've developed what I think is a pretty decent plan to accomplish this, but I wanted the community's advice on the topic just to make sure I'm not screwing anything up tremendously. Here it is:

As a base, I buy a Glorious GMMK Compact with no switches or keycaps. That way I get a hotswap pcb, plate and entry level case which comes dampened for $70 USD. For switches, I get Novelkey creams + Krytox 205G0. For keycaps, I haven't entirely decided yet. I'm looking to buy something relatively nice at the $30 - $40 price point, so if anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

So, let me know how I did.
Also, on a side note, I considered replacing the plate in the GMMK at least at some point. I don't know yet, however, as I haven't been able to find what plate is included in the stock board anywhere. If anyone can tell me weather or not a brass or fr4 plate would be in order to achieve a thocky/muted sound profile.

Thanks!
-W1SH

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Budget build advice
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 00:04:50 »
Good start.

Couple ideas...
Look up Finish Line Extreme Flouro (Amazon), half the price pretty close to the same thing as 205. It's not 100% exact but pretty darn close.

Get a magnetic USB cable (Amazon), the port is micro usb and therefor fragile. I use the Netdot gen2, another user here has the gen 10, both work well and relatively cheap, certainly cheaper than repairing a damaged port.

Thick...
Order some Super Lube silicone dielectric grease (91003) (again, Amazon) and use it on the metal to plastic contact points on the stabs (I replaced mine with Cherry/GMK but GMMK stabs will work as well once clipped and lubed). Put a bit extra into the holes the wire goes in, and do the bandaid mod (use thin lube on the band aids). This will give you the "thock" sound you're after. Mine absolutely does it. Stabs may need a press presses to work in and stop being sluggish, that's normal.

Keycaps, look up  HK Gaming Dye Sublimation Keycaps thick pbt 139 on Amazon. There's a few color options and while they may not be the prettiest to look at and the bottom edges are sharp (easy to fix), these are nice feeling, high contrast, thick PBT and not only reasonable price, but comes with enough caps for pretty much ANY board plus a few extra color change (139 caps total). The texture is closer to ABS than than most thick PBT I've used, which are often super aggressive. There is nicer thick PBT for the money (search NKPC thick pbt), but you won't get such a complete set or such high contrast. These are actually quite nice with an aggressive texture, but in low light situations they don't work well at all.  If you want shine through check out pudding caps, those are probably the best for the money. Otherwise you will need to spend a bit more for Vortex or Ducky (make sure they fit, they should), both of which will cost a bit more for fewer caps. Not sure about Ducky but Vortex have a more aggressive texture.

As for the plate, like many Chinese made boards the plate is the top of the housing, which is aluminum (the bottom is plastic), you won't be able to swap it but it's fine as it is. On the plus side, the case already has foam in it so you have no need to open it to add some. Overall it's not as heavy as a solid aluminum or something with a brass plate, but people put way to much stock in that, the reason cheap boards feel cheap is no one puts the effort into them, including the manufacturers. That isn't the case here for you or GMMK, this feels way more premium than what you will have invested.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2020, 00:13:06 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion