Author Topic: 3d printed 65% with hot swap, LCD and color changing trim  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
3d printed 65% with hot swap, LCD and color changing trim
« on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 08:19:32 »
This is my latest project,
This is still a work in progress but I plan on releasing the files once it's done (early next week maybe?)

Here is the current form but I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas, it may not change much bit I'd like to hear them.
254827-0

Features:
Very low profile, the body flat and extremely thin (11mm to top of plate, less than 1/2in).
Easy to print, vertical walls means no stairstepping and it needs only a little support under the stabs while printing.
Kailh hot swap, despite hand wiring the sockets are locked in place yet easily replaced if they go bad.
PCB and plate mount switch compatible (no more trimmed legs!)
LCD to display layer and hotkeys
Teensy 2.0 with QMK so it's programmable.
Port is a Micro B or Type C depending on choice of breakout board (Adafruit).
Trim is replaceable, I have two types, flat/flush and pencil grooved. I may also backlight this but I'm not sure there's enough pins for RGB.

Still to be done:

I should have a final test print done this weekend, my system was tied up for Halloween.
Firmware, it will be on QMK. - in progress
Wire tracks.
Foot - I have an older one to work from, but this is easy to do last minute. It will most likely be trapezoidal.

With 30% infill this thing is STIFF, the whole board should be about as stiff or better than most off-the-shelf keyboards with a metal plate. Looks like about 40-50 hours print time and half kilo of plastic. The plastic dampens a LOT of the noise. Tests were done in PLA but I plan on doing mine in PETG which will probably dampen noise better but be a little less stiff, that could be compensated for with more infill. Keep in mind you need a good size printer to print it unless you break it into parts, it's 320mm wide. Trying to do ABS would be a nightmare due to the size, I wouldn't recommend it.

Earlier test samples
I've since thickened the top area to fit the Teensy and thin the chassis, and I changed the lower right keys to 1.25, all reflected in the one further up. Up till this point I was working off other people's patterns but I rebuilt it from scratch after this.
Pink is the flat trim, Marble is the pencil groove. These were just what I had handy.
254829-1
254833-2

Here's an even older version
While I loved the size and shape I didn't care for the styling. It was also going to be quite a bit thicker and at a slant, making it difficult to print without stair-stepping.
The silver is paint added to test the color swap trim idea and try and like the styling.
254831-3
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2020, 00:45:58 by Leslieann »
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline Alga

Re: 3d printed 65% with hot swap, LCD and color changing trim
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 09:59:48 »
Looks interesting. I love everything DIY. You can alwais sand it down to remove the steps if you slant it.

Offline nevin

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 12:06:12 »
hotswap 3d printed handwire.... nice. i know a bunch have been looking for something similar. i'm sure your files will get turned into all kinds of other form factors.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 00:45:08 »
Update:
Well I blew that timeline, between trying to last minute rush Halloween stuff I ran out of time.

Where it stands...
Well I once again tried taking the normal way out using someone else's parts and found out they completely botched things, everything was off by several degrees. I tried to use them as a pattern and it just deteriorated quickly and became easier to just redesign it myself like I should have from the start. There's been so little I've downloaded that actually worked as expected so I should have known.  Anyhow, I found the Kailh templates (not blueprints but close) and redesigned the socket socket from scratch. I had 10 revisions to the old one and still was bad, the new one worked so well the first try I had to double check to see if it really was that good.

What's left:
Test prints to test fit everything other than the switches.
firmware.
I also need to see if I can fit RGB into this, it's getting crowded and if so, where.  I certainly want to light the trim and I'm thinking underglow.

Oh, something I forgot to mention, 5 pin PCB and 3 pin plate mount switch compatible, no more clipping legs off.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 08:08:16 »
oh, my.
at least you've got something that you can work with now.

you could do some interesting stuff with the underglow being 3d printed.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 22:05:44 »
This is taking a lot longer than expected.

Current status:
I'm happy with the design, and all parts and segments have been tested and work great. Unfortunately as a whole it presents some issues, I can make it work for me but making it work for others is much more of a challenge, I don't want to make something that just wastes people time and plastic.

You may think your printer is nice and perfectly square, but when you only have a 0.2mm (0.0080in) tolerance across 300mm (12in), even 0.11mm (0.0040in) off means things won't fit if one is printed right side up and another is printed upside down (it creates double the difference), which is how this needs to be printed. So I'm having to design a tool to make sure this is as accurate as possible but I'm also doing some work to try and make sure it's less of an issue for others. CoreXY is particularly problematic for this as belt tension alone alters it.

With the early design once it reached a certain point it does an absolute ton of retraction and spends a lot of time retracted, it was the perfect scenario if you wanted to create heat creep (heat going well up past the heat break) which ends up jamming the hot end. I adjusted some temps and worked around most of it but I eventually decided a redesign of that section was in order. it's still going to have a lot of retraction but it will have more or a break between giving time to expel heat from the heat sink.

For the time being all RGB has been removed from the design, I had it in place for the trim but I'm already trying to fit 10 pounds of stuff into an 5 pound sack. Adding it to the foot for underglow is simple but all of that can wait. I just want to get the basic keyboard working first considering the last two issues.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 00:33:34 »
Problems have been dealt with, how well has yet to be seen.
I added some to the pegs, that helped with the retraction issues (my bowden tube was also about dead) and I gave it more room for tolerance. I also I think I have a solution to any skew issues on top of that. Final prints are in progress (base in black is done), minor changes still may come as I have yet to actually wire this but I planned for that and left lots of channels to run wires through. Once I have it actually working I will post files.

Current design:
Bottom to top of plate is 11.6mm, it's extremely low profile. My GMMK is over 1mm thicker and it's pretty slim.
Total height without feet is 17.6mm
It uses a sloped back to reduce the top frame but it's steep enough that stairstepping at 1.2mm layer height (green) was still pretty smooth, I'm doing mine at 0.1mm.
I have a riser/foot designed, just not printed yet, I may make two because mine is tall but some dislike that, but of course anyone can mod them once posted. Common aluminum cone ones will also also fit (uses an M5 bolt). I'll have more details as I get closer to being finished. Much of this is just for people to watch and give input as it progresses.

Progress photos:
(green is old PLA I was using to test, black is PETG and a final product, pre-cleanup)
256483-0
256485-1
256487-2
256489-3

Offline nevin

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 05:14:59 »
super clean, love how most components are just friction fit, smart. the wire channels are nice, i'm sure, giving it a more solid feel/sound, not being hollow/open.

is this the 1st you've tried a different filament? do you like it better?

how thick is your switchplate? i'm just curious with it being 3d printed.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 23:57:51 »
Thanks.

I've been doing 3d printing for over 7 years, so yeah I've played with a few other materials, about the only thing I haven't worked with on FDM is Polycarbonate and PEEK. I can do it, I just haven't had a need. I work a lot with big printers and certain filaments (ABS in particular) don't work well at larger scale and large scale doesn't play well with heated beds either. I'm using PET on this because it's less dense so I hope it will dampen noise better and it should last longer. It also has a very different feel than PLA, PLA feels like rough plastic, this almost feels waxy.

Top plate - 320.5 x 125.8 x 11mm
     5mm from the bottom to the switch surface, 6mm walls above that.
"PCB" - 304.9 x 94.75 x 4.6mm  (nestles entirely into the base)
Base - 320.5 x 125.8 x 6.6mm

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:28:12 »
So I have a nasty cold (not Covid) and this keyboard has turned into a nightmare, it's not an easy project by any means.

I have the files ready to share in it's current state, but Thingiverse is making wait 24 hours and it's too many files t post here.

Current status:
Firmware is done
other than a working LCD, the documentation for that is terrible so it's slow going.
It's even RGB ready, yes there's enough pins(!) but i have not put any in yet.
I may have it reversed on column pinout (oops, had the controller reversed in my head when doing it), I'll find out when I add the last bits of wiring. I just need to connect rows and columns to the Teensy at this point all other wiring is done. That's an easy fix as it's so modular.

Needs fixing:
Flatter bottom, the upturn makes it difficult for PETG.
Add more room for USB jumper from Teensy, I hot knifed some room and trimmed down a connector.
Maybe fix the LCD printing issue for PETG, support can rip off the overhanging trim. PLA is fine and it's not a major issue so I may leave it.
More perimeter screws (more stiffness)
Make shorter foot.
Add RGB since it will work.

256816-0
256818-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:29:53 by Leslieann »

Offline nevin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 08:27:30 »
looks good. like how you put the diodes/rows above the switch instead of through the middle of the switch. haven't seen it  done that way before. :thumb:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 20:37:41 »
looks good. like how you put the diodes/rows above the switch instead of through the middle of the switch. haven't seen it  done that way before. :thumb:
Thanks,
That's necessary because of the hot swap needing to be supported from below, by the time you allow for 5 pins and the hot swaps, there's just very little room left to work with.