Author Topic: [GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard  (Read 187658 times)

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
Re: [GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 08:17:00 »
Got the DHL notification yesterday that my Purple/Rose Gold Half-Plate Xeno shipped, just to give y'all a heads up. I still have a Black/Rose Gold Full Plate kit from the same order that has not yet shipped.

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #351 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:22:45 »
Got the DHL notification yesterday that my Purple/Rose Gold Half-Plate Xeno shipped, just to give y'all a heads up. I still have a Black/Rose Gold Full Plate kit from the same order that has not yet shipped.

Great to hear! Please share about the QC if possible and share some good pictures.

I wish there was more official communication  on Zeal’s website. 

Offline crd

• Discord: crd#7617
« Reply #352 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:33:04 »
It's disappointing that folks seem to be getting the runaround on this. I remember opting for the M60-A SEQ2 over the Xeno and now I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet :(

M60-A SEQ 2 hasn’t shopped at all yet. I have seen some Xenos in person, though. The difference is that RAMA has been publicly updating their customers on a regular cadence (roughly once a month or so) while Zeal’s transparency of the project has left many folks reasonably uncomfortable. Zeal’s involvement in the Xeno project has been disappointing at best. I obviously don’t know all the details of what he’s having to deal with his manufacturer and I trust that everyone who paid for a Xeno will eventually receive one. Zeal can’t afford to sour his relationship with the community enough that people stop overpaying for his switches

Offline ian13

« Reply #353 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 19:23:55 »
Is it still possible to ask for a refund on this? I don't mind the delays but the transparency is really getting on my nerve.

Offline Funktion

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 20:07:53 »
Doubtful.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #355 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 18:25:05 »
Is it still possible to ask for a refund on this? I don't mind the delays but the transparency is really getting on my nerve.

A chargeback initiated the last large update.

Just fyi.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #356 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 11:53:55 »
For those of you keeping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 09:53:48 »
I PMd a suggestion to Zeal today, but I don't know if he'll read it.  I suggested that he posts the weekly updates here in this thread and put a link to it on the discord forum.  This is similar to what xondat has been doing, and I feel is better in line with the Group Buy terms of Geekhack.

I appreciate MTXjunkie, but we should expect direct communication with the group buy runner here, on this forum where the group buy was listed, until the group buy has finished.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #358 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 10:00:54 »
I’m in total agreement. However, it was promised months ago and hasn’t happened.

Offline Skribbles

« Reply #359 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 22:31:50 »
Completely forgot I ordered this board until today. Disappointed to see all the drama. I was also disappointed to see my Lumina GB fell through. Can anyone tell me about chargebacks? How long after a charge can chargebacks be initiated?

Offline kenkaneki

« Reply #360 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 13:07:54 »
Completely forgot I ordered this board until today. Disappointed to see all the drama. I was also disappointed to see my Lumina GB fell through. Can anyone tell me about chargebacks? How long after a charge can chargebacks be initiated?

Paypal? 180 days iirc

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #361 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 12:52:35 »
I consider myself a pretty patient person. But this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #362 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 13:03:37 »
For the premium price that people pay to Zeal for his products, you'd think that he would have better customer service than this...

Offline silas

« Reply #363 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 18:49:44 »
if anyone wants to sell their slot i'll happily buy it and take on the wait.  ;D

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 01:29:44 »
if anyone wants to sell their slot i'll happily buy it and take on the wait.  ;D
You should watch the unboxing at the end of this video, might change your mind..

Offline thornkin

« Reply #365 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 03:25:35 »
Oof. That is definitely a let down. Still a solid board, but not what it should have been.  Picked the wrong mfg...

Offline prototype26

« Reply #366 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 05:26:57 »
You should watch the unboxing at the end of this video, might change your mind..

Woah, yuck!

Offline MTXjunkie

[GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard
« Reply #367 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 06:11:34 »

Thank you for sharing. I had not seen this.

I knew the long wait would increase expectations and the boards were going to be knit picked, but I don’t even think those (I only watched the unboxing and opening of the case and stopped when he walked out of the room) are the Anthony001 knit picks that usually drive me nuts as I watch him tear a board apart. That is just bad craftsmanship. Especially from a “boutique” offering that has had an even higher level of QC’ing or so we’ve been told.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #368 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 08:20:04 »

:confused: :eek: :( :-X
"... I'm supposed to have a black one, not a black and tactical black ..."
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Damage

« Reply #369 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 11:12:57 »
Xeno GB people should watch this segment carefully. Note that the board designer (pwner) and PCB designer (Wilba) are evidently in the chat. At one point, pwner says, "I couldn't be any sadder" about how the Xeno turned out. Wilba eventually says he can't comment further on the advice of his lawyer.

The extent of the problems is tough to summarize, but it includes vastly different black ano finishes on the top and bottom parts of the case, visible machining marks inside and out, mis-aligned screw holes partially drilled and restarted, and sloppy fit between top and bottom case pieces.

My sense is that this board looks substantially worse than what would pass for B stock in the custom world generally. Watch the video to judge for yourself.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #370 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 11:15:35 »
I honestly don’t care about machine marks or anodizing issues on hidden parts.  You will never see them.  The color mismatch on black is disappointing though.  I thought black was one of the easier colors to get right in these applications.  Maybe not. 

The mill marks on the weight are to be expected.  It was unfortunate but no one ever said it was going to get fixed. 

Overall, it’s still a cool board.  Even cooler with a polycarbonate half plate and updated firmware for full via control. 

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #371 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 11:18:19 »
I honestly don’t care about machine marks or anodizing issues on hidden parts.  You will never see them.  The color mismatch on black is disappointing though.  I thought black was one of the easier colors to get right in these applications.  Maybe not. 

The mill marks on the weight are to be expected.  It was unfortunate but no one ever said it was going to get fixed. 

Overall, it’s still a cool board.  Even cooler with a polycarbonate half plate and updated firmware for full via control.

I think any of us could overlook some things. IF we weren’t being marketed a “boutique” product that has taken over a year to even begin to come to fruition and has had mediocre communication from the GB runner. Not to mention the top dollar asking price. That’s a lot of pill to swallow. And that’s before we get to the fact that we’ve been told the delay was because QC had to be first and subpar products wouldn’t be tolerated.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #372 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 11:28:55 »
All valid points.  I still don't think we know exactly what happened in communications between the manuf. and Zeal.  My hunch is that they said they were acceptable, he said they weren't and there you have a standoff.  So they say, we'll make them better when we have time, or you take them all now.  This is the end result.  Seems plausible to me. 

I didn't buy the board b/c it was a boutique item.  I bought it to support pwner, honestly.  Looking forward to getting a Jubi one day, too. 

Offline MTXjunkie

[GB] XENO | 75% Custom Keyboard
« Reply #373 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 11:33:32 »
All valid points.  I still don't think we know exactly what happened in communications between the manuf. and Zeal.  My hunch is that they said they were acceptable, he said they weren't and there you have a standoff.  So they say, we'll make them better when we have time, or you take them all now.  This is the end result.  Seems plausible to me. 

I didn't buy the board b/c it was a boutique item.  I bought it to support pwner, honestly.  Looking forward to getting a Jubi one day, too.

If we don’t know, that’s purely Zeal’s fault. He won’t report over here and I had to continually communicate in his server until he finally added an update section. He’s in total control of that section and this GB. If I had thousands and thousands of people’s dollars and hadn’t delivered a product in over a year, I’d probably try to give as much info as possible and get as much heat off me as possible. That’s just me using logic and perspective bias though.

Very good to support the designer. Zeal still set the price based on boutique criteria. Unfortunately those two criteria are not mutually exclusive.

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #374 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:45:20 »
I was bummed I couldn’t afford it at the time, now I feel like I dodged a bullet... I am sad for Pwner, this was such a great design. Zeal keeps avoiding responsibility but this whole thing is surely going to tarnish his reputation. This should have been a Rama foundry project...

Offline silas

« Reply #375 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 13:15:56 »
Oof. That is definitely a let down. Still a solid board, but not what it should have been.  Picked the wrong mfg...

dream layout... dream materials... dare I say grail? i'd do it still   ;D not a reseller, I'm just a huge fan of 75's and my KBD75 isn't endgame enough for this form factor.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #376 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 13:49:11 »
Wow that's brutal.

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #377 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 14:43:36 »
I jumped on this board as a big 75% fan. It just happen to also be the first board GB that i have joined. Im not sure how to feel moving forward. I see many other GBs go through with minimal to no issues, so is this just one of the outliers? Maybe i will feel differently when i have the board in hand and i am able to see any QC issues similar to the above video.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #378 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 14:46:22 »
I’m semi-new to the hobby. I’ve been in this for 2 ish years. I’ve ordered a TX108se and an e6.5. Both went as smooth as can be. Communication, timelines met, good quality, etc. That’s not a large sample size, but I keep up with TX and he routinely runs sales and they all seem to come to go off like clockwork.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:05:23 »

dream layout... dream materials... dare I say grail? i'd do it still   ;D not a reseller, I'm just a huge fan of 75's and my KBD75 isn't endgame enough for this form factor.

you should be looking at dawn or v7 no?

Offline silas

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:41:49 »
7v (i assume?) im not interested in and yes i'm in the Dawn. I also missed the Satisfaction groupbuy which would be neck-to-neck with the Xeno in my book. The novelty of the dial switch made me FOMO more than i thought i would lately since I adjust volume based on if i'm gaming or not.  :D

edit -- remove rumor/misinformation
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 17:23:41 by silas »

Offline click clack jack

« Reply #381 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 18:10:05 »
Zeal will not allow refunds but has allowed the selling spots during this mess. I'm throwing in the towel and am going to sell my spot for GB price. Its the Silver with Rosegold pvd.
PM if interested.

Full disclosure, i do NOT recommend you buy my spot.

Offline zearoh

« Reply #382 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 18:48:46 »
7v (i assume?) im not interested in and yes i'm in the Dawn but it seems that GB has issues of their own as well. I also missed the Satisfaction groupbuy which would be neck-to-neck with the Xeno in my book. The novelty of the dial switch made me FOMO more than i thought i would lately since I adjust volume based on if i'm gaming or not.  :D
The Dawn hasn't entered the group buy stage yet. Salvun just made the first proto, it was on his IG story yesterday :)

Offline crykn

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 18:51:11 »
7v (i assume?) im not interested in and yes i'm in the Dawn but it seems that GB has issues of their own as well. I also missed the Satisfaction groupbuy which would be neck-to-neck with the Xeno in my book. The novelty of the dial switch made me FOMO more than i thought i would lately since I adjust volume based on if i'm gaming or not.  :D

Hello there, I think you must be confusing Dawn with a different board as it's currently in the prototyping stage and should be headed towards GB shortly with no issue. Have a nice day  :)

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 18:55:58 »
Dawn an 7v are still different than xeno but are very similar, 7v has 1800 style arrows, xeno is like a 65% with blocker and then dawn doesn't have the logo but for some reason the top row looks too spaced out with the extra key/logo...

It's sad that this is taking so long, this is actually an immaculate board... worst case I guess I cerakote a xeno, lol. :feelsripman:

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Offline lac29

« Reply #385 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 01:32:32 »
I mean I kinda assume you're still going to see the bad machining mistakes because cerakote is so thin ...

« Reply #386 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 09:09:29 »
I mean I kinda assume you're still going to see the bad machining mistakes because cerakote is so thin ...
I thought the problem with the board in the video was jus the 2 different shades of black?

(I skipped through didnt see anything about machining mistakes)

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 10:28:53 »

Great to hear! Please share about the QC if possible and share some good pictures.

My apologies, I took pictures when I got it home right before Thanksgiving, but forgot to upload them. I had similar issues as Manofinterests, and have compiled them in this album: https://imgur.com/a/ip7Ov7d

Offline silas

« Reply #388 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 17:22:39 »

Hello there, I think you must be confusing Dawn with a different board as it's currently in the prototyping stage and should be headed towards GB shortly with no issue. Have a nice day  :)

my mistake, you're absolutely right. i had turned off notifications on the discord so long that i mixed up boards  ;D

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #389 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 18:05:03 »

My apologies, I took pictures when I got it home right before Thanksgiving, but forgot to upload them. I had similar issues as Manofinterests, and have compiled them in this album: https://imgur.com/a/ip7Ov7d

Thanks for sharing buddy. I have hope that Zeal will step up and make it right for everyone involved. I hope that QC improves as this goes on.

FWIW, Yours looks better than manofinterests.

Offline V1ral

« Reply #390 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 19:07:18 »
If anyone wants, I'm selling my spot. Full Plate, Purple case, Black plate, 65g Zealios. Shoot me a PM.

I've kind of lost interest in this board with how few updates we've gotten, but seeing the poor QC is just extra disappointing.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #391 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 06:04:56 »

Thanks for sharing buddy. I have hope that Zeal will step up and make it right for everyone involved. I hope that QC improves as this goes on.

FWIW, Yours looks better than manofinterests.

From the imgur link above of purple case:

... Very poor anodizing match between top and bottom pieces, seems to be an anodizing issue on the right side where the top and bottom meet, as well...
... Side shot so you see that the mismatch is noticeable even from some distance...
... To be honest, this level of color mismatching between top and bottom are not what I expected at all, gives it a cheap kit vibe...

Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline adhocish

« Reply #392 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 22:32:51 »
Looking to sell spot. Black case, Rose Gold full plate with an extra pcb and Rose Gold half plate in the order as well, though I'm fine separating out just a base kit.

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 20:53:43 »
I hope this is not destined to become the next hyperfuse thread....

Seeing these for sale already on r/mm hurts, when i have no idea when or if i will ever get mine.

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #394 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 00:21:36 »
from today in discord:

233729-0

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 18:19:51 »
Any updates? Nothing on discord since 1/14.

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #396 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 10:38:20 »
Any updates? Nothing on discord since 1/14.

yeah I'm curious if anything else shipped out from that update.

Offline lac29

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 09:04:27 »
My email of shipment came 2 days ago I believe. Black case, rose gold full plate. Got tracking but I don't think DHL has picked up the package yet.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 January 2020, 09:19:59 by lac29 »

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 19:47:09 »
Anyone with a purple and rose gold full plate get theirs yet?

Offline thornkin

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:57:11 »
Got my shipping notice today. Black w/rose gold full plate.