Author Topic: Krytox Lube  (Read 2026 times)

Offline AlphaStudios

• Formerly Vlasta
    • Alpha Studios
Krytox Lube
« on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 12:42:39 »
HI - what is is about Krytox that makes it so special? can't any reasoonably heavy grease do the job? Any alternatives to Krytox?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Krytox Lube
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 12:59:33 »
There's some alternatives, but its mostly due to the fact that kryptox is a nice consistency and doesn't separate.

Some alternatives include gazzew loop, certain superlubes, tribosys, some, very small amount of china aliexpress lubes. SW something it was I think. But generally krytox is just what you want.

For stab wires, dielectric grease, I use the super cheap silicone superlube one. Big ass tube for 3 bucks off amazon and it lasts forever.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 13:06:16 »
Just any grease wont do: a lot of chemicals will attack and de-polymerize plastics, some greases will just harden or separate over time, or some others will just slip off plastics. You need a grease that does not separate, that clings to plastic surfaces, and keeps its properties over time, and is made for this kind of usage and temperatures.

Tribosys is an alternative.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 13:19:20 »
A big thing to look out for when buying lubricants/greases for switches is that is has to be plastic safe and non-conductive. That combined with the fact that Krytox makes a variety of grease viscosities and it doesn't separate over time makes it a perfect fit for lubing switches.

Offline AlphaStudios

• Formerly Vlasta
    • Alpha Studios
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 15:10:45 »
Thanks for the replies guys. Whats the best source for Krytox? it is made by DuPont right but i guess they only sell it in gallon tubs and folks part the tub up and sell like 10g at a time?

Offline butre

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 16:28:00 »
I buy microlubrol instead of krytox.  it's the same pfpe oil + ptfe thickener as krytox, but it's much cheaper and easily available in larger but sub-kilogram quantitites.

I generally start with ultimox 226 and thin it down with whatever PFPE oil is handy.