Author Topic: key pullers: plastic = bad. wire = good  (Read 3628 times)

Offline captain

key pullers: plastic = bad. wire = good
« on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 12:23:05 »
I do like how the plastic keypullers work, just push down and pull up, easy peasy... but they have the potential to put too much stress on the sides of keys as they are inserted.  This is worse when there isn't much space between the key and the case, and worst when keys are old.  I guess ABS gets more brittle over the years.  

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42687[/ATTACH]

I'll be using the Filco wire puller from now on!

Anyone got an extra WYSE F4 key I can have?  :-/
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 12:44:10 »
I have 3 sets: 1 thick, and two thin. You can have one of my thin ones, as I don't think I'll be using it. It's slightly yellowed, though. PM me your address (And where I can buy a decent wire keypuller: I have an ALPS disaster that needs fixing)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 12:55:54 »
The Leopold one from EK is pretty good for only 5 bucks.

I'm starting to collect these since I got one from Filco, one from Leopold and one from KBC.  Realforce is next on my list. =P
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 19:56:23 »
is there an advantage to the filco/leopold/etc designs vs a couple of bent paper clips?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline naranja

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 20:00:52 »
Quote from: reaper;535012

I'm starting to collect these since I got one from Filco, one from Leopold and one from KBC.  Realforce is next on my list. =P

The WASD one is pretty nice too

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/i/wirekeypuller1.jpg

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 20:18:13 »
Quote from: ripster;535014
Filco is the best.  Holds more keys and is Richard Gere Gerbil approved.

Actually, I think the wasd puller is best. It's exactly like the Filco but the angles on the wire are a little less sharp and are just a hair wider making it easier to get all the way around the cap. The softer bend to the metal obviously makes it less prone to scratch surrounding keys. :D
I hate everything.

Offline Bertross

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 21:51:04 »
Quote from: reaper;535012

Show Image

i have this to.

One thing that pissed me off though if they seems to damage the Space bar on the ends on PBT caps. Like they put a grove underneath.
REALFORCE 86UB / FILCO MJ2 87 BROWN PBT WHITE/BLUE

Offline pitashen

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 01:24:57 »
I tried the plastic ones once. Realizing how hard i need to press down to clip onto the keys, I figured this little puller is up to no good...
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 09:01:01 »

i would like to have the best from both worlds. Wire and one hand pulling.
it is easy to get under the cap press the wire together a little and pull. With the other hand i could controll the keyboard.
With the leopold, filco and wasd you mostly have to use both hands to apart the wires and attach the puller under the cap.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 14:14:34 »
Quote from: pitashen;535476
I tried the plastic ones once. Realizing how hard i need to press down to clip onto the keys, I figured this little puller is up to no good...
It's really bad on some keys (SP, for example) but for others with wider tops and narrower skirts, it doesn't have to bend that much. That said, I've broken my ABS keypuller that come with the CMstorm, and I only have my WASD PBT keypuller now, and it's much stiffer.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 15:39:52 »
Quote from: dorkvader;535951
It's really bad on some keys (SP, for example) but for others with wider tops and narrower skirts, it doesn't have to bend that much. That said, I've broken my ABS keypuller that come with the CMstorm, and I only have my WASD PBT keypuller now, and it's much stiffer.

The wasd ones which are made by SP I think are too thick though. They barely fit on between keys so I rarely use mine. I love the one that comes with the cmstorm. I can use it to pull off every key minus the spacebar.

I do like the filco puller, mainly for costar stabilized caps though.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)