Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3526320 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2100 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:11:42 »
whats so special about Phantom PCBs anyway?

They are specially designed to allow many different layouts. Also, by the controller they've been designed to use, they are highly programmable.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2101 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:13:21 »
Here's for a question that should be relatively easy to answer.  Can anyone tell me what type of Cherry switch this is?  It's from a Royal Alpha 2001 typewriter; it's black, but sure isn't a Cherry MX black >.>
Show Image

Looks like a Cherry M6 variant to me...

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_M6

I believe it's a Cherry M8 or M84.  It looks a lot like these M8 switches.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:16:55 by nubbinator »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2102 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:14:12 »
Here's for a question that should be relatively easy to answer.  Can anyone tell me what type of Cherry switch this is?  It's from a Royal Alpha 2001 typewriter; it's black, but sure isn't a Cherry MX black >.>
Show Image

Looks like a Cherry M7 switch. The Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag has one. It's a predecessor to the Cherry MX Black switch.

whats so special about Phantom PCBs anyway?

It's a programmable TKL board; like a GH60 but TKL layout. More info can be found here and here.

And ya'll are some crazy snipers. Can't even respond without the Vulcan-Wizard and moose killing my answer flow :P

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2103 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:16:38 »
Who's simpin' now?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2104 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:16:52 »
also, anyone here have a picture of a top LED switch?

23676-0

on topic:

and I'm serious because I don't now and I know you guys know and there should be a simple answere...

What's with RGB modifiers being hot items?? Is it part of keyboard 'history'??

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:28:30 by ray4jc »

Offline phx

« Reply #2105 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:30:32 »
argh damit so it's impossible to just change the switch...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2106 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:34:29 »
What's with RGB modifiers being hot items?? Is it part of keyboard 'history'??

I've been told that RGB mods were used in various work-related/work environment keyboards (such as airports) where it helped people to learn how to use those switches. Instead of saying "Alt-F4", you could say "Blue-F4" or something to make the process easier.

Even if the LED wasn't there, you'd still need to desolder the switch in-order to change it. Unless the keyboard was PCB-mounted and had no LEDs. You could pop the top off one of the switches and swap in a new stem and spring.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2107 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:36:37 »
Daerid, someone posted that you had done an ultimate topre board review but I can't seem to find it, could you point me in the right direction?

Here ya go

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2108 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:36:38 »

Correct, that is almost impossible. I say almost, because you could really do it, if you set your mind to it. It would require drilling holes and running wires.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2109 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:39:48 »

Correct, that is almost impossible. I say almost, because you could really do it, if you set your mind to it. It would require drilling holes and running wires.
I'd do it :P I think the Koreans do it to convert from ISO to ANSI.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2110 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:40:21 »
Daerid, someone posted that you had done an ultimate topre board review but I can't seem to find it, could you point me in the right direction?

Here ya go

thank you sir!

my first topre should be arriving any day now!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2111 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:41:43 »

Here ya go

thank you sir!

Prepare to be underwhelmed. :P

They are rubber domes, after all. But some people like them.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2112 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:20:58 »

I'd do it :P I think the Koreans do it to convert from ISO to ANSI.

To the person that was wondering about rotating a switch so the LED is at the top of the switch, check out the Days LED link in my signature.  I moved the HD activity LED to the ESC key.  I know this really isn't what you are looking for but it will give you an idea what you are getting into and some of the tools needed outside of a soldering iron.  Also keep a bit of an eye on it because in the next week or so I will be rotating the switch 180 for reasons stated in the video I posted.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2113 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:55:24 »
How many pins would be required to do the USB for a keyboard and USB pass through on one connector? 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2114 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 19:51:25 »

Here ya go

thank you sir!

Prepare to be underwhelmed. :P

They are rubber domes, after all. But some people like them.

I figured after I'm done trying it I could sell it to you JD.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2115 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:37:11 »
So neither plate mount nor PCB mount doesn't relate to the durability or quality of the keyboard?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2116 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:44:46 »
So neither plate mount nor PCB mount doesn't relate to the durability or quality of the keyboard?

Well typically if youre going with plate mounted switches, you'll have a plate in your board. This usually translates to a more solid feeling board. However, I dont believe that the PCB vs Plate mounted switches on their own will influence that board one way or another. Switches are switches it seems.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2117 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:49:33 »

Well typically if youre going with plate mounted switches, you'll have a plate in your board. This usually translates to a more solid feeling board. However, I dont believe that the PCB vs Plate mounted switches on their own will influence that board one way or another. Switches are switches it seems.

I think I didn't state the question very well... I actually want to ask that should I choose to buy a "PCB mounted" board or a "plated mounted" one, not building one. But thanks for the input!!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline therecorder

« Reply #2118 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 22:27:59 »
Anyone know the weight of the Poker II?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2119 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 22:56:10 »

I think I didn't state the question very well... I actually want to ask that should I choose to buy a "PCB mounted" board or a "plated mounted" one, not building one. But thanks for the input!!

I prefer plate mounted boards over PCB mounted ones. But again, it's personal preference. I think that IvanIvan/Lysol has stated that he prefers PCB mounted because the switches feel better to him in PCB-mounted switches.

Anyone know the weight of the Poker II?

I wasn't even aware that anyone had one yet. If anyone has one, I'd love to see a review or at least an answer to this. ^__^

According to WFD's review, it weights 1lb, 5oz. More info can be found in WFD's writeup :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 22:58:41 by CPTBadAss »

Offline therecorder

« Reply #2120 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 23:06:21 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2121 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 23:09:25 »
Thanks for the info. Hopefully you saw my edit :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2122 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 07:50:38 »
So I know this is probably a 'stupid' question because everyone else knows, but is the only purpose of soldering all the diodes on a board like the phantom just for NKRO?

Could they be left out??

I'm so ignorant  :-X

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2123 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:00:28 »
Aren't those for LEDs?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2124 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:03:20 »
So I know this is probably a 'stupid' question because everyone else knows, but is the only purpose of soldering all the diodes on a board like the phantom just for NKRO?

Could they be left out??

You can't leave them out, because the electrical path runs through the diodes, albeit in only one direction. :)

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2125 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:05:54 »
Could you theoretically just use jumper wires on every place a diode should go? Or just solder the two pads together?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2126 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:07:51 »
Could you theoretically just use jumper wires on every place a diode should go? Or just solder the two pads together?

You could use jumper wires, but if you're soldering anything in, you might as well use diodes. They are cheap. Can't make a solder bridge, because the pads are way too far apart.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2127 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:09:17 »

Could they be left out??

You can't leave them out, because the electrical path runs through the diodes, albeit in only one direction. :)

Thanks JD!

I really should have taken an electronics course at some point in my life  :-X

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2128 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 09:11:10 »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase PBT side-print keycaps?

I couldn't find any off ebay...

Thanks!
I just PM'd kelbear about this, but in case anyone had a similar question, this is an AWESOME price for a full set of PBT caps. Not sure about their thickness, but the side-print alone makes this worth it.

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-pbt-white-side-printed-key/lid=19686618

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #2129 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 16:47:37 »
Haha yeah, this was the only one I could find.

But they're rainbow... :/. I couldn't find any other options.

Thanks though!

Everyone likes rainbows :3 I've got original filco abs otaku caps I don't need tho

Also there's an ic for pom sideprinted caps which looks promising

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42518.30
Even for a man?
Here we would say something like "ohhh man, you are soooo gay!!!"
WE WOULD say, I'm not saying ...

People can say a lot of things, doesn't mean I care  ;D

Show Image

Hahaha! Love it :D

I wouldn't mind coloured blank PBT keycaps.. although I've only come across white/black.. the rest that are coloured are ABS :/ (off ebay)

Offline hypercrush

« Reply #2130 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:12:13 »
A keyboard newbie with a few questions...

Starting off, I just ordered my first mechanical (Filco Maj-2 TKL w/ Browns). I don't even have it yet, but the stock Windows keycaps are pretty unappealing. What can I replace them with (besides the blank Filco keycaps) that I won't have to barter my first born to obtain?

Next, what's so special about the 'Phantom' keyboards? I get that it's a custom PCB with a few different layouts that you can choose from, that it allows you to use 1.5x modifiers, and that you can re-map keys (I think), but what's the main draw? Seems like an awful lot of work just to gain bigger modifiers or lose the Win key.

It would also seem that this Phantom board is made to fit in a Filco TKL case, but what happens if you get a Winkeyless PCB? Do you just have an ugly empty space on your board where the Windows key would normally be?

Thanks!

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #2131 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:12:22 »
Today at my local McDonalds I went in and ate (needed wifi on the go), and they had a kiosk with a TG3 with blacks, and god dang man that spill guard is horrible. I initially thought it was maybe a membrane edition (or maybe the mx clear version) until I pried a cap off.

Offline mauri

« Reply #2132 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:15:53 »

Starting off, I just ordered my first mechanical (Filco Maj-2 TKL w/ Browns). I don't even have it yet, but the stock Windows keycaps are pretty unappealing. What can I replace them with (besides the blank Filco keycaps) that I won't have to barter my first born to obtain?

Not 100% fact but my filco came with 2 pairs of windows keys, printed and the other had the dent/hole. Presumably you'll get em too
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2133 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:19:51 »

Next, what's so special about the 'Phantom' keyboards? I get that it's a custom PCB with a few different layouts that you can choose from, that it allows you to use 1.5x modifiers, and that you can re-map keys (I think), but what's the main draw? Seems like an awful lot of work just to gain bigger modifiers or lose the Win key.

It would also seem that this Phantom board is made to fit in a Filco TKL case, but what happens if you get a Winkeyless PCB? Do you just have an ugly empty space on your board where the Windows key would normally be?

Thanks!

what type of window key are you looking for I just happen to have a bag full o keys......

and on the phantom it can be built in multiple layouts and is very programmable.

Today at my local McDonalds I went in and ate (needed wifi on the go), and they had a kiosk with a TG3 with blacks, and god dang man that spill guard is horrible. I initially thought it was maybe a membrane edition (or maybe the mx clear version) until I pried a cap off.

Only on geekhack....'guy walks into McDonalds, pries keycap off keyboard!!'.....but finding mechanicals in the wild is awesome  ;D

Offline hypercrush

« Reply #2134 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:20:38 »

Not 100% fact but my filco came with 2 pairs of windows keys, printed and the other had the dent/hole. Presumably you'll get em too

Thanks! I'll be very very very happy if this is the case.

Offline hypercrush

« Reply #2135 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:27:17 »

Thanks!

what type of window key are you looking for I just happen to have a bag full o keys......

and on the phantom it can be built in multiple layouts and is very programmable.

Thanks for the reply.

I'd like the plain old school flag, preferably, but I'd be happy with anything that doesn't have the dome.

Ideally, I'd like it to match the existing keycaps that come with the board (color, profile, etc.) My OCD is pretty out of control.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2136 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:20:10 »
Anyone here added USB pass through to a custom board and case?  If so any links to a build log that I can look at?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2137 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 19:50:18 »
Again, do not trade or barter or sell in this thread. We have a whole subforum for this.

Edit: JD has a quick answer on what makes the Phantom special here. Like most things on GH, it's all about personal preference. I really like customizing my gear. And also, there's always a touch of "This is GH, we do it 'cause we ****ing can." :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:04:07 by CPTBadAss »

Offline ping111

« Reply #2138 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:24:34 »
You know how MechKeys.com (paraphrased) has that interactive KB guide?  Is there one of those for laptops?  I really appreciate the system, and am in the market.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2139 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:34:51 »
I have never seen a comprehensive laptop guide

Offline ping111

« Reply #2140 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:43:55 »
Thanks for now.

Another question:  I just bought a TG3-TP.  I also have a Mac.  Do I need one of the two-PS/2 to-1-male-USB adapters (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-USB-TO-PS2-MOUSE-KEYBOARD-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CABLE-/330859738521?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4d08c6f599) to make it work, or what?
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2141 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:50:14 »
I'm pretty sure they have a PS/2 connector, so yes, you should get a PS/2 to USB connector. Should work fine after that. I would recommend a Blue Cube connector. Just Google or Amazon that name. Otherwise, the Adesso one works as well.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #2142 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 21:17:43 »
Any problems using retrobright on black keycaps with a white legend? Not that the black on the key looks bad just the white legend has yellowed.

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2143 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 23:09:48 »
My MX Black Filco TKL makes a "ping" noise on key release, my Choc Mini with MX Reds never did this. How can I prevent this noise? Both boards have O-rings already.

More than likely because one is plate mount (filco) and the other is PCB mount

I'd like to mention that this was incorrect advice and I ended up wasting $70+ on Clear PCB switches because of it. Not saying it's his fault... but it was the reason I made the purchase.

All Noppoo Choc Minis are plate mounted and all Filcos are plate mounted (obviously).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2144 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 23:25:07 »
I'd like to mention that this was incorrect advice and I ended up wasting $70+ on Clear PCB switches because of it. Not saying it's his fault... but it was the reason I made the purchase.

You should probably see if multiple people can confirm your question before you make purchases. As I've proven multiple times, I'm often wrong and I hope that people aren't spending lots of money just based on what I say. What advice were you given and why do you think that you wasted money?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2145 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 23:27:03 »

All Noppoo Choc Minis are plate mounted and all Filcos are plate mounted (obviously).

Simply cut off the two plastic nubs on each switch and they become Plate mount :)

Offline therecorder

« Reply #2146 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 23:33:15 »
Think he thought that he could make a quick and easy change to his Choc Mini (that Beast said was PCB mounted)...  Perhaps, he doesn't do soldering

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2147 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 07:51:52 »
Think he thought that he could make a quick and easy change to his Choc Mini (that Beast said was PCB mounted)...  Perhaps, he doesn't do soldering

This exactly.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2148 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 08:00:33 »
Sorry CPTBadAss.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 11:25:30 by SmallFry »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2149 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 08:19:36 »
Here, how bout this. Pay shipping for the board to me and back, and I'll swap the clears (or ergo-clears depending on what you like) for free.

Is that an open invitation because I've got a rosewill with vintage blacks that would like to be ergo clears instead :o :p

My MX Black Filco TKL makes a "ping" noise on key release, my Choc Mini with MX Reds never did this. How can I prevent this noise? Both boards have O-rings already.

More than likely because one is plate mount (filco) and the other is PCB mount

you want plate mount clear's for those pcb clears? or you want to sell those pcb clears?
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 08:22:44 by ray4jc »