Author Topic: Spray painting keyboard case; could use some advice  (Read 5175 times)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Spray painting keyboard case; could use some advice
« on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 07:23:41 »
I want to paint the case of my QFR white, I've read some of the threads here on how to do it, but there are still a few minor things I'd like to have clear before I start.

First off; I'm in Europe, so getting Krylon Fusion paint without having to get it shipped from the US is tricky. I have found a shop that might get the colour I need, but in case that doesn't work; what alternatives do I have?

If it does work; which colour should I get? From what I can see on their website there are 2 whites, there is a "clear" that shows as white, but I assume that's just because there is no clear colour. Gloss white is, I assume, glossy, which is not really what I want. I'd like to keep sort of a matte surface. This should leave me with a rather obvious choice, but the second white, Dover White, shows as a rather beige colour. Is the gloss white a better white despite the gloss? Also, if it is glossy, can I remove the gloss with fine sand paper?
It'd be easier to make a proper decision if I could go in a store and see how the cans look with my own eyes, as I assume the top is sprayed with the respective colour. I couldn't find any comparison of the two in the real world either. Should I just get both and try them out on random bits of plastic first?

Offline älg

Re: Spray painting keyboard case; could use some advice
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 09:39:01 »
Whatever color you chose: use a primer!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 11:07:22 »
Whatever color you chose: use a primer!
I thought you didn't need a primer with the Krylon Fusion paints. From what I've seen all you really need to do is de-grease and spray, although sanding first won't hurt.

Offline fluxrez

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:34:53 »
how do you degrease?

Offline älg

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 13:59:48 »
I thought you didn't need a primer with the Krylon Fusion paints. From what I've seen all you really need to do is de-grease and spray, although sanding first won't hurt.

See this thread to read what happens if you don't use primer: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37101.0;topicseen

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 16:00:05 »

See this thread to read what happens if you don't use primer: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37101.0;topicseen
That could just as well be from not sanding it first; this guide doesn't mention anything about primer, neither did the people I spoke to in IRC about it.
From what I gather the whole deal with the Fusion paints is that they don't require a primer, just sanding and cleaning alcohol.

Edit: Anyone got any experience with plasti-dip? I've seen it used on keyboards and they even have a Norwegian office and webstore, so I'm tempted to go for that, but I haven't read anything about how durable it is on keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2012, 14:49:58 by vun »

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 04:39:30 »
I read somewhere on here about VHT vinyl dye. Might save you the effort of having to sand it first. (but dont take my word for it.) I have no idea about its availability in Europe unfortunately.

I would test out the spray paints you have available in your area on scrap plastics. that way you don't inadvertently botch up your keyboard. Im going to test this myself before i try it on my own. Id try out painting with no sanding or primer and then on some other scrap plastic, sanding, priming, painting it. that way you see what'll hold up best.