Author Topic: About to buy my 1st mech keyboard. Need opinions about the switches.  (Read 4921 times)

Offline AbrahamLinksys

Hey guys.

Two weeks ago I decided to buy a mechanical keyboard. Two weeks later and I still can't decide which board to buy.
Also the availability of mechanical keyboards in my country, makes it even more difficult.

I have looked into CM, Corsair, Das, Ducky, Filco, WASD, HHKB, RF, and even Razer.

First of all, I'm looking for a backlit board so Das, Filco and Topre ones are out of the equation.

Usage: I don't play games at all. I just browse a lot - about 8-10 hrs/day at least - but I rarely need to type something that could take hours. I also don't mind if the switches are noisy.
Availability: In my country there are many CM, Corsair, Razer boards and also a few Das ones. There are also many EU eshops that have Duckys but most of them don't ship to my country.

My first choise was a Ducky Shine 4 YOTH edition which I really like, but unfortunately only the ones with DE layout can be shipped to Greece.
CMs and Corsairs are not an option any more because I've read many issues with the LEDs(even the Corsair RGBs have).

So my final option is WASD Code. Here's the thing though..I can only choose between CherryMX Greens and Clears.

I really like the audible click the blues and greens have. But I've read that typing with greens for a long time can be unpleasant for the fingers.
I touch type when I'm relaxed and bottom out the keys when I'm concentrated. I think I prefer to bottom them out most of the time.
Also, what I'm using now is a Logitech K310(the easiest board to clean :P).

About the MX Clears, I 've read that they are like browns(which I do not like-I prefer the blues instead) but more stiff and have some friction too.

In conclusion, I'm thinking that because at 80% I won't be typing continuously for hours, I will be ok with the Greens.
But this is also my 1st mechanical board and I've never had any experience before.

So guys, what is your opinion? What would you suggest? What is your experience with MX Greens?

I forgot to point out that I do not like Topre ones, also because I've read some people saying that the typing feeling is close to a common membrane board and I'm looking for something completely different to try out.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:25:38 by AbrahamLinksys »
Ducky YOTG

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: About to buy my 1st mech keyboard. Need opinions about the switches.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:53:20 »
You are overthinking this....we all do this at first. You can not rely on what other people say, or their impressions of a switch. It feels like that should work, but it just doesn't. The CODE does come with MX Blues, so you could get that if you desire. It also comes in Browns. It is a fine keyboard and very well built. People say Greens are stiff, and I they are correct that the spring is stiffer, but it isn't unusable by any stretch of the imagination. I use Greens all the time and do not find it tiring. Someone else may...it is very subjective. I find it hard to type on light switches, and there are people that love stock Gateron Clears (VERY light). Everyone is different.

The best advice I could give is to just buy something, assuming you don't have a board that you can borrow and try out before buying. Then after you have used it for a while you will have a much better idea of what you really want. People may suggest switch testers, but they don't provide a very good basis to judge a whole board by. So if you want a mechanical board, just jump in with both feet and then let the current take you away. :)
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:01:07 »
So if you want a mechanical board, just jump in with both feet and then let the current take you away. :)

I agree with this. I started off with reds then blues then greens. People would recommend getting a switch tester but its hard to tell from one switch if you would like it on a full board

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 09:17:26 »
mmmm, CODE with MX Greens. Nice choice!

Greens and Clears are the only MX switches I like, I keep finding faults with other *new* (not vintage) MX switches (blues feel odd and actuate weird, browns are too light and scratchy, reds and blacks are both too soft). I'm typing on my CM Storm with MX Greens and SA caps and it's lovely, not tiring at all.

FWIW, Topre has similar technology to rubber dome keyboards (so do Buckling Spring boards), but it doesn't really feel like a traditional rubber dome keyboard, especially with the 55g Realforce.

Offline gloyz

• GloyZ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:32:13 »
I am finding this to be a very helpful thread since I too am looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I especially like the "just buy something" advice. I too am overthinking this process. LOL! My leaning right now is toward a Ducky Mini with browns . . . but I really just have no idea.
FIND US AT: 

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 11:37:20 »
I am finding this to be a very helpful thread since I too am looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I especially like the "just buy something" advice. I too am overthinking this process. LOL! My leaning right now is toward a Ducky Mini with browns . . . but I really just have no idea.

Just jumping in is always good, and just jumping in on a Ducky mini is definitely a good jump to make.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline gloyz

• GloyZ
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:20:20 »

Just jumping in is always good, and just jumping in on a Ducky mini is definitely a good jump to make.

Thanks for the nudge - I think I am gonna leap!!!!
FIND US AT: 

Offline bryan11

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 17:09:53 »
Got the switch tester, liked both greens and clears, ended up ordering a keyboard with each.  My excuse it that I'll use one for work and another for home.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 18:12:06 »
I agree that a switch tester is not that good for deciding which switch you like, but it does allow you to try SOMETHING before buying a $150 board.   It may not be that good for deciding on a switch you like, but you can probably rule out a few switches you don't like immediately.

Your typing style may help you choose a switch.  My previous board rubber dome board was stiff, but I found that I constantly typed with just enough force to register the keystroke without slamming the key against the pcb.  I found I prefer MX browns and reds.  If you like to but some muscle behind your keystrokes then you might enjoy a heavier switch with more resistance, because  light switch will just slam down all the time, in which case clears would work well.  In reality you will probably like any switch better than what you are using now.  As a point of reference, browns are probably a little lighter than your average desktop rubber dome board.  The clears in contrast are going to be heavier (probably).

It sounds like you may do well with blues and you know you like them, so that would be a good place to start.  It may be worth forgoing some feature you were looking for to get a switch you like on a different board.  After all it's the most important part.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline AbrahamLinksys

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 19:17:41 »
Thanks for responding guys.

@inanis
unfortunately the CODE with blues is not available in the EU(at least the EU eshops that ship to Greece do not have it).
And custom charges here can be as high as 50% of the product's value so I would avoid getting it from the US or somewhere else outside Europe.
I agree about the switch testers - also, I would have to order it from somewhere outside of Greece too cause even this, is not available here.
Unfortunately I don't have someone here that owns one to give it a try and WASDs here in EU are pretty expensive to take the risk(230€/~260$). I thought about getting a cheaper mech board with blues from here as a reference. At least in that way I will know if I really want a switch like blues or greens or something quieter. Will think about it.

@jerue
glad to see more and more people supporting the greens. It makes it kind of easier to decide.
I've read about 55g Topre keyboards - 45g's must be really light I dont like that either. But I'd prefer a more distinctive board in terms of looks(LEDs).

@jcoffin1981
Most of the time I do not "touch type" so I think reds and 45g switches in general, are not for me. I have also noticed that when I type fast(well 60-70wpr might not be that fast :P) I usually make many mistakes probably because of the amount of force I use and the accuracy I have - I press many keys at the same time. So I think that this will not occur so often with a heavier switch. As I said before it might be better to try the blues on a cheaper mechanical board at first and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help guys. Any opinions-suggestions are always welcome.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 September 2015, 19:20:05 by AbrahamLinksys »
Ducky YOTG

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 19:51:44 »
Heavier switches may fit heavier typists better; thus, if you are like this, you would feel better with clears, or greens. For switch testing you should try a keyboard for a reasonable amount of time, to reach the point to get adjusted to it, before to decide if the switch is, or is not the best fit for you. Also, you should be aware that the feeling for a board is defined by the entire assembly, including its case, plate - if any -, their materials and the key caps, not only the switches.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 21:40:31 »
CODE is a great keyboard.  I like MX greens and clears.  And blacks, and ... but that's another story.

I would have said that greens were my favourite MX switch until I recently got my CODE with clears.  It's fantastic!  Not really any ping, as such, more a light musical chime that I only notice if I'm listening for it.  Some early CODE with MX clears were notorious for pinging, mine is really not that bad at all.

Basically it would come down to whether you want clicky switches (greens) or just tactile (clears).  Buy a keyboard, use it, perhaps you will like it, perhaps not.  Only you can tell, and probably only after using the keyboard for a week or two.

if you look after it and decide you don't like it, you should be able to sell it for nearly what you paid for it, and chalk the difference up to experience.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 22:30:04 »
This infographic may be interesting for you.  :)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74355.msg1828705#msg1828705

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:09:37 »

Awesome chart. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:13:51 »

Have you even gone to the site itself?  Very disappointing.
....another tidbit....
http://gomechanicalkeyboard.com/amazon-affiliate-policy/

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:20:54 »

....another tidbit....
Not sure what your beef is. They did a bunch of work to survey people and put the infographic together, who cares how they pay their bills.  Hosting a website is not free and I'm sure he could have been doing something other than contributing interesting content, but he chose to participate in the community and give us something cool. Ease up a bit...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 23:42:45 »

....another tidbit....
Not sure what your beef is. They did a bunch of work to survey people and put the infographic together, who cares how they pay their bills.  Hosting a website is not free and I'm sure he could have been doing something other than contributing interesting content, but he chose to participate in the community and give us something cool. Ease up a bit...

There is really no beef.  I am just saying I went to the website and checked out the articles.  There isn't really much there, so to speak.  Maybe their "infographic" is rather narrow.  Like nubbinator said, the results would be very different if it were from GH or DT.  I agree there.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 08:28:52 »
Fair enough. Maybe I was a bit harsh too.  :)  I tend to go to bat for anyone who puts effort into the community and tries to build things for us. I know from experience that it is not always easy to please everyone when building stuff for a community, so I try to support people's efforts.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 09:13:26 »

....another tidbit....

There is really no beef.  I am just saying I went to the website and checked out the articles.  There isn't really much there, so to speak.  Maybe their "infographic" is rather narrow.  Like nubbinator said, the results would be very different if it were from GH or DT.  I agree there.

Getting representative samples regarding preferences involves many disciplines, that they may not master, but the information has some value, even if it does not represent all the keyboard communities, or if the data is biased.

Offline chiefgrillz

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 06:46:14 »
op i think you should at least try out topre..

never know with their latest offerings at computer shows they might put out a backlit version soon :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 20:59:22 »

never know with their latest offerings at computer shows they might put out a backlit version soon :)

This is about buying a first mech, not sure OP is ready to shell out for a Topre board just yet.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:02:24 »
About the MX Clears, I 've read that they are like browns(which I do not like-I prefer the blues instead) but more stiff and have some friction too.

They're like browns in the fact that they are tactile, but clears are also a bit heavier (in my opinion a much nicer weight). When you have a heavier spring, you do feel the friction a bit more. The bump on clears is actually noticeable, unlike browns.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 23:36:11 »

This is about buying a first mech, not sure OP is ready to shell out for a Topre board just yet.

That's right!  Let him spend a bit of money first, before getting his end game keyboard :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 07:47:10 »

That's right!  Let him spend a bit of money first, before getting his end game keyboard :p

This is all about wallet harassment.

Offline AbrahamLinksys

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 08:27:40 »
Lol, well I'm actually thinking of getting a few boards with different switches to see what's best for me.
The problem with that is that I'll end up having a few boards sitting in the closet because it will be hard to give them away.

Anyway, few hours ago I received a CM Quickfire TK with blue switches(106€/118$).
The first thing I noticed is that the feeling is VERY weird compaired to the Logitech K310 that I've been using for the past 1.5 years.

Once I started typing I said that's stiff(?). But the more my fingers get used to it the more I like the new board. That click is really satisfying. I think I would like it to be even more noisy though :)

About Topre's...The only topre available here is the Novatouch which NOW costs 170€/190$ (Two weeks ago it was 260€/290$ while a german site was selling this board for 140€/156$).
And I don't think the Novatouch is as good as HHKB or Realforce to give that much money.

Ducky YOTG

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 10:56:13 »
For an audible click I would get MX Blues/Green. I prefer blues when typing. I find it to be a bit more accurate the linear switches IE. Brown or Reds. Since you dont game I think tactile would be the way to go. So blues or greens would be my recommendation.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:34:27 »
Without wanting to offend, when you get your first mech, you'll be in no position to judge it properly in any way, because you'll have nothing to properly compare it to :p . So starting with some super high-end keyboard seems a bit OTT - there's no way you'll really appreciate its pros (or its cons) anyway. Why not start with something basic, simple and versatile, and cheap. That way, you can get a feel about what direction you'll want to steer into for your next board - this is why I normally recommend starting off with a £10 Dell AT101W. And yeah, I said "next board"- because it's a bit silly to think you'll magically hit your ideal dream keyboard at the very first buy :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Bucake

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:04:28 »
it's a bit silly to think you'll magically hit your ideal dream keyboard at the very first buy :P .

... :(

(you're right, though!)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:31:09 »

well I'm actually thinking of getting a few boards with different switches to see what's best for me.

Good plan.

There are linear, tactile, and clicky types. You must try each of these early in your quest.

There are "heavy" and "light" weights in each of these, and your personal style will tell you what is best for you.

If you don't like clicky, that eliminates a number of fields altogether, such as buckling springs, but just because you don't like the horrid blue Cherry switches, don't assume that all clicky switches are bad.

Gamers tend to like linear switches because they reset faster, and typists tend to like tactile/clicky switches because they receive feedback that allows them to move on faster without the need to bottom out.

"Wobble" in switches bothers some people, others are willing to accept it.

There are obscure and difficult "vintage" switches with many superior characteristics to modern devices.

Personally, I would like a clicky switch (ie very tactile) with very little sound, a high actuation point, and a spring that progresses rapidly in stiffness as it compresses. This combination does not exist, as far as I know.
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 17:29:23 »
Personally, I would like a clicky switch (ie very tactile) with very little sound, a high actuation point, and a spring that progresses rapidly in stiffness as it compresses. This combination does not exist, as far as I know.

Talk to Zeal. I'd be in to this. If you could get another run of Gateron custom switches that have these characteristics I could see them being a HUGE hit. Personally my dream switch is pretty damn similar.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline DesignerNeil

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:06:45 »
I am a relative noob to mechanical keyboards (about 18months) but I have just bought my third keyboard a couple of weeks ago with my third switch type. 

But unlike most people I have yet to try a switch I really don't like.  I certainly don't hate any of them.  The Reds were my first experience of MX switches on a corsair K70...soft and light and silky smooth.  I could type on them fine and double tapping was a real joy. I also use the arrow keys a lot in Adobe apps so that was nice with the reds too.  I had bad chattering issues with the K70 - 3 of them in fact.  never had a bad LED though.

Then I bought a Das pro 4 with browns which I liked until the keycaps went shiny and started falling off with splits in the stems.  At first I wanted to go back to reds as I didn't like the grainy feel of the browns, but once the Das caps fell off and I replaced them with superior ones the brown switches felt smooth and springy. I suppose this may be partly down to them being broken in as well.

Two weeks ago I bought a Filco with blues, and so far I have added 8wpm to my typing speed and 2-3% improved accuracy compared to the Das. But I probably prefer the browns for everyday use at the minute. Though in terms of Keyboard the Filco is on a whole different level and IMO puts the other two to shame. The build and finish really took me by surprise.

So as others have mentioned the only way is to jump in.  It's been a fairly rough and expensive ride for me so far and I still haven't quite found my perfect setup.... the Filco is really close! 

But beware, switches feel different on different boards with different mounts and different levels of build quality, they also feel different with different keycaps and they change feel over time.   So don't expect it to be as simple as trying each switch type and deciding, but do expect whatever switch you choose to be much better than what you are used to using. No matter what people say, I seriously doubt you will dislike any of them if your coming from a rubber dome.

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:10:07 by DesignerNeil »
"The problem with quotes in forum signatures is that you never really know if they are genuine" Bertrand Russell

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:18:21 »
But unlike most people I have yet to try a switch I really don't like.
I'd say that's to be expected; I'd say most people would be especially positive of their first few boards, because they don't have anything nicer to compare them to (I certainly didn't, at least. I had to redo my first reviews because I didn't have a proper appreciation of those boards' true strengths and weaknesses). Besides, all your boards are Cherries, so they're not all THAT different :) .

Offline DesignerNeil

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 18:33:31 »
They certainly aren't the first expensive keyboards I have owned. I've had a couple of scissor switch boards well north of £100.  I have an old Amstrad that is mechanical, though not sure on the switch type. I have an IBM model F which I found in my father in laws loft.  I have put my hands on a Topre but not owned one or used one for long enough to really comment. I like them all - the mechanicals that is.  I didn't like the scissors.

Also, I have been using Macs professionally 20 years, so have used every keyboard that came with the top of range macs since the Quadra 800.  I've used plenty of mechanicals over the years I just didn't know it.  It wasn't until the G5 that I really started to question the quality of keyboards.  I've always used a PC at home so my keyboards have varied.
"The problem with quotes in forum signatures is that you never really know if they are genuine" Bertrand Russell

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:48:41 »
I have an old Amstrad that is mechanical, though not sure on the switch type.
Let me guess; Amstrad spring over membrane?

Those were some goddamn awful keyboards xD . 

Offline nuzey

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 03:17:55 »
My advice to you is to go to your local store and try out each switch type and decide on your own. Switch tester does not do justice as I myself tried using it and it felt different than using it with the keyboard itself because of keycaps, build quality and the material of bottom plate.

If you feel lazy to go to a local store, just use your research info and instincts to buy one. I know it is really hard to choose your first mechanical keyboard because there are just too many options to choose from. Just buy one and go from there. You will probably end up with more than one anyway  :thumb:

Offline AbrahamLinksys

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 18:53:19 »
Guys what's your opinion regarding Razer Chroma?

I really like its LED's but quality and reliability wise I mostly hear bad things.

Now that I've tried the Quckifire TK with blues I would like to go for another switch.
Im actually leaning towards the Quickfire XTi with RB LED's and brown switches but I would like to know what do you think about the razer chroma too.
Ducky YOTG

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 18:56:56 »
Guys what's your opinion regarding Razer Chroma?

I really like its LED's but quality and reliability wise I mostly hear bad things.

Now that I've tried the Quckifire TK with blues I would like to go for another switch.
Im actually leaning towards the Quickfire XTi with RB LED's and brown switches but I would like to know what do you think about the razer chroma too.

I don't like the Chroma. It uses Razer-branded Kailh switches. They feel rather mushy compared to a Cherry switch. I think RGB backlighting is a bit of a gimmick, but if you have to have it, I would look at the Ducky Shine 5. Nice keyboard with MX browns (a switch I can recommend to almost anyone), or MX Reds/Blacks if you want to try something linear.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2015, 19:00:07 by jerue »

Offline AbrahamLinksys

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:01:57 »
I don't like the Chroma. It uses Razer-branded Kailh switches. They feel rather mushy compared to a Cherry switch. I think RGB backlighting is a bit of a gimmick, but if you have to have it, I would look at the Ducky Shine 5. Nice keyboard with MX browns (a switch I can recommend to almost anyone), or MX Reds/Blacks if you want to try something linear.

The Ducky RGB would be my first choice if it was available where I live.
I like LED's so I want my board to have RB or RGB LED's but the available options here are: Razer Chroma, CM XTi, Corsair K70.

The only thing I like in the chroma is the LED's. Nothing else.
The Corsair has RGB LED's but they dont look as good as they look in the chroma - probably because of the aluminium plate.
Also its bottom row(spacebar, etc) has keycaps with special sizes so I will have trouble replacing some keycaps.

I've ordered a few keycap sets from massdrop and it seems that the XTi has common size keycaps that can be easily replaceable.
The only minor to me is that it does not come with RGB's...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:04:10 by AbrahamLinksys »
Ducky YOTG

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 22:26:41 »

The Ducky RGB would be my first choice if it was available where I live.
I like LED's so I want my board to have RB or RGB LED's but the available options here are: Razer Chroma, CM XTi, Corsair K70.

The only thing I like in the chroma is the LED's. Nothing else.
The Corsair has RGB LED's but they dont look as good as they look in the chroma - probably because of the aluminium plate.
Also its bottom row(spacebar, etc) has keycaps with special sizes so I will have trouble replacing some keycaps.

In your case, I would recommend a Corsair with MX Browns (or reds). I think the backlighting looks even better on the Corsair than the Razer. Razer has larger fonts on their keycaps though, so it could show more lighting on the key itself. The Cooler Master board isn't true RGB if that's what you're after.

You will have some trouble with keycap replacement on either board, both use the nonstandard bottom row. You can order individual caps from pimpmykeyboard if that's an option, your main issue is the bottom row and the spacebar. The bottom row for either board is as follows: 1.5, 1, 1.5, 6, 1.5, 1, 1, 1.5 (Razer), or 1.5, 1, 1.25, 6, 1.25, 1, 1, 1.5 (Corsair)
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2015, 22:28:28 by jerue »

Offline AbrahamLinksys

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 14:58:47 »
In your case, I would recommend a Corsair with MX Browns (or reds). I think the backlighting looks even better on the Corsair than the Razer. Razer has larger fonts on their keycaps though, so it could show more lighting on the key itself. The Cooler Master board isn't true RGB if that's what you're after.

You will have some trouble with keycap replacement on either board, both use the nonstandard bottom row. You can order individual caps from pimpmykeyboard if that's an option, your main issue is the bottom row and the spacebar. The bottom row for either board is as follows: 1.5, 1, 1.5, 6, 1.5, 1, 1, 1.5 (Razer), or 1.5, 1, 1.25, 6, 1.25, 1, 1, 1.5 (Corsair)

I didnt know that the Razer has nonstandard bottom row too. Thanks for the details.
The thing is that I've already given ~150$ on custom keycaps. Special keycaps(TaiHao Miami and Danger Zone ones) that I don't think I can find a bottom row to match with the rest of the keycap set.
Glad to know that about the Razer.

I dont really mind that much that the CM has only RB led's. It must be like the Shine 4 in terms of led's colors. I mean, I'd prefer these keycaps to be compatible with the board than having RGB. (I know, its silly to end up paying more attention to the looks of the board rather than the board :P )

So to sum up, the razer is out.
Now, apart from the looks, in terms of quality(sturdiness & pcb) and realiability(LED's mostly) would u say that the Corsair is superior to the CoolerMaster?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 15:00:28 by AbrahamLinksys »
Ducky YOTG

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 15:12:59 »
CoolerMaster feels more solid to me than Corsair. If you've already invested a bunch in aftermarket keycaps, you should buy a board that will be better equipped to take advantage of them.