Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch  (Read 232866 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: CM Storm Novatouch
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 01:06:52 »
the prototype has so many issues "heavenly" is the last thing I'd say about it. Anyway, very nice potential.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 01:56:37 »
Two opposite opinions. I wonder if there are differences between the two of your prototypes, or if it's just a matter of opinion.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 01:59:10 »
CM is well aware of all the problems and they are working on them.

All I can say is that my opinion is that of a topre user (I have 3 topre keyboards).

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 02:45:03 »
CM is well aware of all the problems and they are working on them.

All I can say is that my opinion is that of a topre user (I have 3 topre keyboards).

Matt,

You probably can't answer this, but is the case design final?  I'm not to keen on the way the sides of the case (towards the back) has that angle to it.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 03:21:03 »
All I can say about the case is that all who I asked to really hated the rubber finish. I pointed that out to CM. Hope they will listen.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 03:30:12 »
All I can say about the case is that all who I asked to really hated the rubber finish. I pointed that out to CM. Hope they will listen.

Oh yes.

If they would get rid of the rubber finish then the prototype case would look fine :D
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tbc

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 03:32:31 »
is it like their QF TK rubber coating?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 05:05:21 »
is it like their QF TK rubber coating?

Yes it is on the model I tested
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:29:39 »
I'm the only one who likes it then.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:30:31 »
it's nice to see, but very unpractical.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:31:30 »
Filco case > QFR case

Although I think the filco has a different type of plastic, I am just talking about the finish.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:39:17 »
rubber finish attracts grease, dust and wear off with usage. I really don't understand why they keep using it. Evidently gamers don't care durability but just eye candies.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:45:26 »
I am NOT that kind of gamer although I am a gamer. Done badly, that's what happens to rubber finishes. I've had rubber coated phones for several years and it is still almost as clean as day 1

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:52:57 »
Just wondering, is this supposed to be the 'quiet' topres?

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 14:01:10 »
Just wondering, is this supposed to be the 'quiet' topres?
The answer is ... No.

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 14:09:39 »
I am NOT that kind of gamer although I am a gamer. Done badly, that's what happens to rubber finishes. I've had rubber coated phones for several years and it is still almost as clean as day 1

Well, unfortunately, CM have displayed a propensity for doing the rubber finish poorly on this product. I've had 2 QFRs (had to RMA one) and both had issues with the coating out of the box. The corners of the chassis already had blemishes before the product even hit my desk. If they're using the same coating for their topre boards a lot of people are going to be very disappointed with their investment. I was willing to look past it cause the QFR was only $75. If I sink $150 into a keyboard, the coating had better be durable.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline fabioruxo

• Pinsapp
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 14:50:29 »
do you work for cm? how were you able to get one? also do you know the release date for novatouch? I just bought my first topre (FC660C) thinking that novatouch will not be released anytime soon and next day I see someone with prototype novatouch...

Where did you get the FC660C? I'm searching for it but on ek they're out of stock :-)

EK has blanks and Imsto.cn has (expensive) printed ones. I don't recommend buying a printed one now, though, since the dyesub version is coming soon.

Thanks a ton for the info. I'm not into blanks (my wife gets pissed when she doesn't see printed caps... she's not a touch typist :-) ). And expensive printed ones... me no likey.
So I just ordered a Realforce 87U EK Edition on EK :-D
IBM Model M
WASD v1 w/cherry browns
Topre Realforce 87u EK edition all 45gr

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 16:03:49 »

Well, unfortunately, CM have displayed a propensity for doing the rubber finish poorly on this product. I've had 2 QFRs (had to RMA one) and both had issues with the coating out of the box. The corners of the chassis already had blemishes before the product even hit my desk. If they're using the same coating for their topre boards a lot of people are going to be very disappointed with their investment. I was willing to look past it cause the QFR was only $75. If I sink $150 into a keyboard, the coating had better be durable.
On *this*? What do you mean by this?  ;)

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 17:28:03 »

On *this*? What do you mean by this?  ;)

Quite right, I should say on the existing QFR line. I haven't seen a Novatouch in person to judge the coating, but based on my own experiences I'd believe what Matteo has to say about the coating.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 20:19:12 »

The rubber coating?  I don't mind it (my QFR has silver and QFS has black), but it does attract finger grease and can get a bit shiny where I rest or tap my fingers on the keyboard case top above the arrow keys and sometimes around the function keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 21:22:39 »
Agreed.

The rubber coating?  I don't mind it (my QFR has silver and QFS has black), but it does attract finger grease and can get a bit shiny where I rest or tap my fingers on the keyboard case top above the arrow keys and sometimes around the function keys.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #221 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 23:59:03 »
Agreed.

I have no problem with the rubber coating on my quickfire xt. But think that the people that complain uses it differently than I do.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 00:15:41 »
Agreed.

I have no problem with the rubber coating on my quickfire xt. But think that the people that complain uses it differently than I do.

For some reason (don't know why) the gray QFR cases don't seem quite as bad as the black ones.

That's why I'm hoping they will offer the Novatouch with a gray case option.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline blackbox

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:06:36 »
Agreed.

For some reason (don't know why) the gray QFR cases don't seem quite as bad as the black ones.

That's why I'm hoping they will offer the Novatouch with a gray case option.
I see. The version I tested had a black case but that might change.

The LAN table!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:25:41 »
let's make it clear. the rubber coating is very nice and makes the keyboard looks cool. it's not a deal breaker nobody won't buy it because of it, but we are talking about a $150+ keyboard meant to last for decades (look at IBM Model M, they still rock after 30 years). If CM wants to produce the "perfect keyboard" has to get rid of the rubber finish because it has NO practical use on a keyboard. it's just a short lasting smokescreen cosmetics.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #225 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:44:36 »
(look at IBM Model M, they still rock after 30 years). If CM wants to produce the "perfect keyboard" has to get rid of the rubber finish because it has NO practical use on a keyboard. it's just a short lasting smokescreen cosmetics.

Couldn't have said it better.

More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:36:32 »
let's make it clear. the rubber coating is very nice and makes the keyboard looks cool. it's not a deal breaker nobody won't buy it because of it, but we are talking about a $150+ keyboard meant to last for decades (look at IBM Model M, they still rock after 30 years). If CM wants to produce the "perfect keyboard" has to get rid of the rubber finish because it has NO practical use on a keyboard. it's just a short lasting smokescreen cosmetics.

Just wondering (as I think I have the finish on the TK), is it really a big deal? As in, it's not really a negative in any way, just a positive that doesn't last very long, right?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:40:31 »
"Nobody ever do anything different. Everything must be made the same as the old way because that's the only way and new things suck."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:48:34 »
it serves no real purpose. It just attracts dust and grease. Using it for the sake of it is pointless.

Is it a big deal? No.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 14:28:58 »
What kind of finish is that anyway? I suppose it isn't like the one on classic thinkpads (T/X lineup).

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 16:35:30 »
What kind of finish is that anyway? I suppose it isn't like the one on classic thinkpads (T/X lineup).
I have several T61s lying around  ;)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 16:40:17 »

...and?

Offline tbc

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 23:23:33 »
i personally like the rubber finish on the TK.  the one on the stealth is different though and isn't that great.

the rubber felling makes the case feel softer when you handle it.  flat plastic just reaps of cheapness.  maybe adding rubber isn't the greatest solution, but doing nothing is the worst 'solution'
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #233 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 04:57:16 »
i personally like the rubber finish on the TK.  the one on the stealth is different though and isn't that great.

the rubber felling makes the case feel softer when you handle it.  flat plastic just reaps of cheapness.  maybe adding rubber isn't the greatest solution, but doing nothing is the worst 'solution'
It does, Flat plastic makes things feel cheap. They (the testers) don't like it but I rather have rubber if they can't make a aluminium faceplate instead

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 11:58:14 »

I agree. Something (albeit small) versus nothing, it still wins out to me. And I really like the TK case, it's very nice and solid.

Offline kakarlsen

« Reply #235 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 08:33:51 »

The T61 didn't have rubber coating, but the newer ones does. I have a Thinkpad X1C that's pushing two years now (with lot's of traveling). Rubber coating is still as new.
Edit: No wait!. *touches my old T61*. It has coating, but only on the screen lid. The newer ones has it on all surfaces. Also; the coating on the corners of the T61 is worn away.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 April 2014, 08:35:54 by kakarlsen »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 16:33:19 »
I guess to each his own.  Trying to clean the black rubber coated one without leaving some kind of mark on it is almost impossible.  I really hate it
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 18:13:11 »

The T61 didn't have rubber coating, but the newer ones does. I have a Thinkpad X1C that's pushing two years now (with lot's of traveling). Rubber coating is still as new.
Edit: No wait!. *touches my old T61*. It has coating, but only on the screen lid. The newer ones has it on all surfaces. Also; the coating on the corners of the T61 is worn away.

Yep!

I guess to each his own.  Trying to clean the black rubber coated one without leaving some kind of mark on it is almost impossible.  I really hate it

I would rather put up with that than have shiny plastic after a year.

Offline avtar

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 18:32:26 »
Your cases get shiny?

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 04:29:58 »
Your cases get shiny?
Yup. Every plastic (non-glazed) case I've ever owned gets shiny after a year.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 04:39:26 »
WTF do you do with them? I can't recall the last time I touched my keyboard's case, except putting it in a bag/box when travelling.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:26:05 »
WTF do you do with them? I can't recall the last time I touched my keyboard's case, except putting it in a bag/box when travelling.
The case referring to the outer shell of the keyboard.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:30:03 »
I like touching my cases. ;)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:31:33 »
Huh?

I have to admit, you're pretty good at avoiding any explanation of why do your keyboard cases get shiny. gratz

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 09:27:30 »
I will probably buy this then just saw the case off.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:08:53 »
Huh?

I have to admit, you're pretty good at avoiding any explanation of why do your keyboard cases get shiny. gratz
What? My palms touch them everyday and this is a tropical country.
I will probably buy this then just saw the case off.
It's not true rubber anyway. It's just a rubber coating which IMO actually lasts longer than I would admit, rubber. I don't see why it gets so much hate.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:11:29 »
Huh?

I see, but then I suspect your typing technique is to blame, not the keyboard. ~_^

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:14:54 »
Huh?

I see, but then I suspect your typing technique is to blame, not the keyboard. ~_^
my palm is usually on the table for a non-wristed case but the areas where the palm is joined to ma fingers touch the keyboard. My fingers aren't 10000cm long  :confused:

Offline avtar

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:15:09 »
It's not true rubber anyway. It's just a rubber coating which IMO actually lasts longer than I would admit, rubber. I don't see why it gets so much hate.

I'm not a fan of it because I don't want a grease trap:

And as you mentioned in your previous post if the material wears down over time then going with a plastic case seems like a better decision.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 10:18:41 »
Huh?

my palm is usually on the table for a non-wristed case but the areas where the palm is joined to ma fingers touch the keyboard. My fingers aren't 10000cm long  ???

That's exactly what I mean. If you eventually get some sort of RSI in your wrists, don't be surprised.