Author Topic: Dox KB, Build your own!  (Read 205017 times)

Offline Parak

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #700 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 01:16:54 »
If we can ever get an SMD controller going, the best way would be to also have it be soldered by the pcb fab. With pick-and-place machines, stencils, and reflow soldering, the cost increase for assembly is marginal for every SMD component added.

One could definitely hand solder SMD with a bit of practice and a decent iron, but that gets very tricky with no lead (QFN and such) packages, where essentially the only way to hand solder them is via hot air. A lot of ICs still have lead options in package selections, though, which is good. In any case, as with anything involving SMD, bulk pcb fab assembly would be the primary goal once a prototype from them is validated, of course.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2012, 01:18:57 by Parak »

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #701 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 01:41:16 »
Which SMD controller could be used?

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #702 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 02:27:50 »
The controller on the Teensy2.0, ATmega32U4, comes in SMD packages only but both with and without leads TQFP44 and QFN44. The leadless one the Teensy uses is quite a bit smaller altogether. There are drawings at the end of the datasheet. I think there are some other suitable ATmega controllers as well. The USB ready ones seem to come on those to packages, number of legs varying.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #703 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:22:41 »
Oh man I just saw the layout I want for the DOX in it's complete form

Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #704 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 19:43:49 »
oh thats nice
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #705 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 23:53:50 »
Very nice HHK. Dolch keycaps and original case?

My next project plan will be a DIY PCB + cheap and weak Poker case HHK.
Apparently I am always behind away from OTD guys :(

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #706 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 23:55:00 »
We need to get this DOX project back on the road, I want that keyboard so bad
Keyboardless

Offline byFd

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #707 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 02:40:39 »
are plans now to have it backlit or not backlit?
White Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless MX Browns
White Noppoo Choc Mini MX Reds
KBC Poker X MX Reds

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #708 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 08:19:03 »
Mini Phantom that way everyone gets what they want. I know that having teh teensy below the spacebar isnt the most ideal but it seems to be the only option besides SMD.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #709 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 10:03:31 »
Quote from: byFd;510841
are plans now to have it backlit or not backlit?

backlit is for wusses
Keyboardless

Offline byFd

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #710 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 10:11:45 »
Quote from: tsangan;510996
backlit is for wusses

i had to look that up lol.

i don't like backlit.
White Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless MX Browns
White Noppoo Choc Mini MX Reds
KBC Poker X MX Reds

Offline Index

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #711 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 02:26:03 »
Quote from: tsangan;510549
Oh man I just saw the layout I want for the DOX in it's complete form

Show Image

Oh man, that's the exact layout I was trying to go for. I'm really bad with drawing up PCB's, and I have no time due to work.

tsangan, where did you find that pic?
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #712 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 09:02:57 »
is that a kbd365 design? the layout and milled case look like a pure, but the 1.5x modifiers clearly aren't. jesus those keys are sex.

i think i'm actually on the side of smd now. if we can get enough volume the pcb fab can usually produce with some extra marginal cost. it raises the price naturally, but the backlighting option will probably get us enough extra business from the gamer types that it will be worth it. plus with LEDs there's more cool stuff you can do with the firmware.

i don't know how many people are familiar with the DIY audio scene, but typically they try to produce designs that are more than one-offs. to do this they obviously have to do a _lot_ more work appeasing large groups, but the result is that there are tons of high quality projects available to build at any one time.

soo... who knows how to do pcb layout for SMD? ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2012, 09:09:42 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline BiNiaRiS

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #713 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 17:29:39 »
Status update?
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #714 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 17:31:17 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;532477
Status update?

I would like one as well as we had 2 working prototypes nothing should really be stopping us from making them i know i wanted a altered layout if possible and ishtob doesnt have the time with school to lay it out.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 10:22:18 »
I know I haven't been active on the forums lately but I still check up on everything at least once every day or two. I really am sad that we haven't had any real updates to the Dox builds in what seems like 2+ months now. Hope you are doing well Ishtob and we can't wait to get back into the design and building of these great custom keyboards. In the down time I have been trying to think of new layouts since my girlfriend wanted a custom split/ergonomic keyboard.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline ishtob

Re: Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #716 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 21:12:23 »
hey guys, so pharmacy school kicks ur butt pretty hard the last year, don't get too much freetime :/ kinda sad to see no one carrying this project on... at this point its looking like i will be busy with my clinical rotations till jan 2013 >.<
heres a photo of my office at the current rotation site at boston medical center :P .. its one of my dox prototypes and some random blank keycap set i had sitting around... hate those rubber domes they have at the office

im still dropping by GH every so often, so if you someone do decide to pick this up while im gone, i'm more than happy to help

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #717 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 21:16:10 »
you have a very small monitor, just  a tad wider than your DOX.  And that phone!  I had one like that at work, 20 years ago!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #718 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 21:16:37 »
hey guys, so pharmacy school kicks ur butt pretty hard the last year, don't get too much freetime :/ kinda sad to see no one carrying this project on... at this point its looking like i will be busy with my clinical rotations till jan 2013 >.<
heres a photo of my office at the current rotation site at boston medical center :P .. its one of my dox prototypes and some random blank keycap set i had sitting around... hate those rubber domes they have at the office
Show Image

im still dropping by GH every so often, so if you someone do decide to pick this up while im gone, i'm more than happy to help
I want a DOX :( i have everything but a PCB.

Offline ishtob

« Reply #719 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 21:44:40 »
should i post up the layout i was using again? since the attachments are all gone

Offline ishtob

« Reply #720 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 21:50:24 »
you have a very small monitor, just  a tad wider than your DOX.  And that phone!  I had one like that at work, 20 years ago!
lol.. yea you should see my pager... 5 buttons, vibrate and 1 ring tone, no backlights

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 22:38:35 »
should i post up the layout i was using again? since the attachments are all gone
I saved my layout as well. might you be able to help with phantom firmware as well?

Offline Index

« Reply #722 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 02:23:25 »
Hi, I just finished my layout in KiCAD and also found a Teensy 2.0 schematic online in KiCAD. I've been trying to figure out how to put the two together in one PCB for the past day. I'm wondering if anyone could help me out here.

I've attached both KiCAD project files.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #723 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 03:26:02 »
That is not the actual Teensy I think, but some other set-up with the same micro controller. That shouldn't matter, although I haven't looked through it to see that it looks correct.

.lib files are the components in EESchema
.sch files are the schematic files for EESchema
.mod files are the footprints in PCBnew
.brd files are the layout files for PCBnew

They are all text  files. Merge them in a text editor =D But first move all the stuff around so that they don't overlap in the merged file...

Offline Index

« Reply #724 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 11:23:00 »
You're right, it's the Adafruit ATmega34U4 Breakout Board. It should work identical to a Teensy though.

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24754

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #725 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 11:24:26 »
Functionally they are the same.  But it's a different size and you'd have to find/make the footprint for it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #726 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 14:55:05 »
He's not using the actual break out board, only the schematics. That should be all dandy =)

Edit: And there were a ton of footprints in that Adafruit KiCAD file. I'm stoving that away in a safe place for now...
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 July 2012, 14:57:45 by bpiphany »

Offline Index

« Reply #727 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 16:46:34 »
bpiphany, I'll be putting together the schematic tonight. Can I ask you to take a look at it after I'm done?

Offline Index

« Reply #728 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 23:13:26 »
Here's the updated project files with both the breakout board and the cherry switches.

Can someone please look over the schematic? I know nothing about pcb design and I'm pretty much doing this for the first time.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #729 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 23:27:37 »
And that phone!  I had one like that at work, 20 years ago!

So funny to think that companies used to build things to last... My parents still have one of those phones in their house; The phone cord port broke over a decade ago and I soldered in a new one one, still works like new!

Nowadays, most products are built to break within a year or 2, locking in a steady stream of profits and wasting precious resources...

Sorry for the OT.

fartq

« Reply #730 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 23:35:26 »
the idea behind the light will be that the core controllers will fit on a dox footprint.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #731 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 23:36:34 »
Ok, opening your schematic, there are 2 libs missing...
C:\Users\...\Documents\KiCad\atmega32u4bb_kicad\atmega32u4bb-from_ea
C:\Users\...\Documents\KiCad\atmega32u4bb_kicad\atmega32u4bb-cac

Other than that, you have no USB connector, no resistors or capacitors on any of the lines, no clock chip, just an MCU and a bunch of switches wired together.  In the schematic there's a stack of munged parts, presumably because of the missing libraries.

So basically, read the teensy or adafruit schematic and try to figure out why parts are where they are and how to integrate them into your schematic.

Also, put some stabilizers on the switches that need them, you're going to need those holes in your PCB :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Index

« Reply #732 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 00:27:43 »
Sorry about the incomplete project files. I've uploaded the project files that include all the required .lib and .mod files. Also, I've read the schematic of the breakout board and tried to make sense out of it as much as possible. I have little experience with transistors, capacitors, voltage, power. All I know is how to program the microcontroller and how to read datasheets.

I've integrated the schematic as best as I can. I'm just looking for someone to look it over.

I'll put the holes for the switches and stabilizers later, baby steps.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #733 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 08:46:40 »
Ok, the schematic is a whole lot closer to proper... I'll ignore the board :)

You don't need the solder jumpers for voltage or the HWB pin, just determine how you're going to use the device and make that permanent in your board.  So, kill the 3v options all around.  Honestly I'd take the teensy schematic over the adafruit one, then use the adafruit schematic to figure out how to add the ISP header and if you want it, the 500ma fuse.  The teensy schematic is a bit easier to read.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline regack

« Reply #734 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 19:39:38 »
Show Image

I want a DOX :( i have everything but a PCB.

I was looking at the express pcb layout that Dox originally posted, since I was going to try and poke at it again... and I noticed that there's a 1.75 key in row 2... and it matches the photo that was just posted... (wow, that IS a small monitor)... so here's my question ... where can I find a R1 1x1.75 key like that?  Or is it actually a R2 profile key in R1?  I'm still kind of new to all of this.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #735 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 19:56:42 »
Are you counting row 1 as spacebar, or esc row?  Because it's different depending on who you're talking to.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline regack

« Reply #736 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 08:35:53 »
Are you counting row 1 as spacebar, or esc row?  Because it's different depending on who you're talking to.

Ahh, see, another thing I didn't know (Also, I didn't mean to derail the thread).   I was counting spacebar row as R1.   My limited understanding has Spacebar and ZXCV row as a R1 profile.. then The homerow as R2 profile, QWERTY as R3 profile and 1234... and ESC row as R4 profile. 

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #737 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 03:26:44 »
Im going to get my account here back up to par tomorrow then ill repost some images of what im looking for in the end something we almost had completed.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #738 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 06:44:00 »
I was looking for something like the pics below so it would match my Phantom layout. I think these pics are a bit old so the layout doest match my phantom exactly. See this link to see my final Phantom layout.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 22 August 2012, 03:23:23 »
Looks like i might at least get my hands on what ishtop did so i can still have a dox for my self problem is we never did design a plate to it... Anyone out there that has the know how willing to undertake designing one?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #740 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 19:06:38 »
Updated my DOX layout to be better and closer to my Phantom

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #741 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 21:45:44 »
Y U NO GB FOR THIS?!?!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #742 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 21:47:30 »
Y U NO GB FOR THIS?!?!
because you can buy all the stuff yourself easily enough...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #743 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 21:53:28 »
But you have to have PCBs made and plate/case machined. :(

I can source the rest myself, but group buying power for those two items would be nice. (Where do you find a 1.25 Return/Enter key of the correct profile?)

Why settle for a Poker or Pure when you can have a programmable board like this one?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #744 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 22:01:39 »
But you have to have PCBs made and plate/case machined. :(

I can source the rest myself, but group buying power for those two items would be nice. (Where do you find a 1.25 Return/Enter key of the correct profile?)

Why settle for a Poker or Pure when you can have a programmable board like this one?
well im just using a poker case but yes if you couldnt get one you would have to have an aluminium one made like was done in the past i forgot who ran the groupbuy. I will be ordering pcbs and plates for my self once the design is done if your interested maybe we can work something out...

Sadly you dont find one with the correct profile. I really dont notice it all too much on my phantom i actually totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. Though your good on everything else through wasd keyboards which is nice because you can get the custom legends etched or engraved on.

Thats exactly why i got involved with this project i didnt like the pokers layout.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #745 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 23:48:25 »
As for PCBs and plates for the Dox, count me in for one of each. Maybe there are others interested, as well?

If this will fit in a Poker case, I have an aluminum case from treble318 I will use.

in memoriam

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #746 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 03:40:14 »
As for PCBs and plates for the Dox, count me in for one of each. Maybe there are others interested, as well?

If this will fit in a Poker case, I have an aluminum case from treble318 I will use.
alright sounds good ill post here of course when the PCB is done.

If anyone can get a poker case and wants one build but doesnt have the skills to build it them selves i can easily do it.

Also i will know more of whats needed when the pcb is complete. There used to be a dox build thread on the forum that had additional info on our revision and whats needed and how to build it. I wonder where that went

Hazeluff has made a template of the layout for me to send to wasd and ill post it here later.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #747 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 03:49:31 »
Mods / Admins think we can get this http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=24082.0 moved out of the archive as hopefully this project will be moving forward again.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #748 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 04:01:20 »
And heres the DOX layout for WASD

Offline ishtob

« Reply #749 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 05:35:24 »
Here's the layout you wanted for PCB

does anyone know where to find the costar stab measurement/specs?