Author Topic: Topre sliders, MX caps  (Read 90515 times)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Topre sliders, MX caps
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 18:59:43 »

the low quality material seems to work just fine, but it's impossible to have one model that 100% works on all materials.

I'd really like to see the slider in "White Detail" material, that could be a nice compromise.

I will report on White Detail when I get it :)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 18:59:47 »
I'm debating between getting a HHKB pro 2 and these stems or waiting on the CM NovaTouch TKL. I really love the aesthetic of the HHKB. Any word of advice from some Topre veterans on which direction I should go? Thanks!

we can't give you a feedback about the Novatouch because it's not out yet. I'm actually a CM beta tester and I'm using the novatouch since a couple of days, but I'm under NDA and I can't say a thing :P

Ooh that's cool!   :eek:
We can't get any pictures either?  :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 20:15:29 »
I'm debating between getting a HHKB pro 2 and these stems or waiting on the CM NovaTouch TKL. I really love the aesthetic of the HHKB. Any word of advice from some Topre veterans on which direction I should go? Thanks!

we can't give you a feedback about the Novatouch because it's not out yet. I'm actually a CM beta tester and I'm using the novatouch since a couple of days, but I'm under NDA and I can't say a thing :P

Haha,

I hope you have proof that you started these stem concepts before being handed a demo unit to play with ;D

Ordered a couple of the baller ones, this looks really promising man! Really interested to see how we can bring the price of this down for a full HHKB loadout.
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline avtar

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 21:06:47 »
Really interested to see how we can bring the price of this down for a full HHKB loadout.

I was asking around on IRC yesterday about this. What are the profiles of HHKB and Realforce keycaps? And are there any existing MX sets from previous or current group buys that could be used with RF sets? I would love to use the CMYW GMK modifiers on a black RF 87U but I'm assuming the profiles won't match? I guess the 6u HHKB and RF spacebars will probably be an issue :/

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 21:14:48 »
Really interested to see how we can bring the price of this down for a full HHKB loadout.

I think there's eventually gonna be a mold, which would bring it way down.

Offline Merloobi

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 22:47:07 »

*tinfoil hat* CM is not giving you a NovaTouch to silence your efforts to bring the world Topre/MX sliders right?  :eek:

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:17:31 »

*tinfoil hat* CM is not giving you a NovaTouch to silence your efforts to bring the world Topre/MX sliders right?  :eek:

Matt's mod is better for people who already have Topre boards, while the Novatouch is more of a intro-to-Topre board if you ask me. I don't think they're completely competing markets.
;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 00:44:15 »

Matt's mod is better for people who already have Topre boards, while the Novatouch is more of a intro-to-Topre board if you ask me. I don't think they're completely competing markets.

I agree..

I really hope those colors are durable even though he says they are fragile. Id love to have Pink sliders with Bro Bot V1s on them. Droool.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 01:54:48 »
Ugh, I want to order some right now, but the $20 shipping to Singapore really kills it for me..
;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 01:57:05 »
Ugh, I want to order some right now, but the $20 shipping to Singapore really kills it for me..

Dang! spendy.. just order the high detail one for your Esc key. :)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 02:29:01 »

Dang! spendy.. just order the high detail one for your Esc key. :)

That's what I was thinking, but I'll wait and see how everyone else's turn out for now :)
;)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 02:58:59 »

Haha,

I hope you have proof that you started these stem concepts before being handed a demo unit to play with ;D

actually being able to keep working on the slider was part of the contract :)

Ooh that's cool!   :eek:
We can't get any pictures either?  :p

I'll ask if I can send some pictures today

I was asking around on IRC yesterday about this. What are the profiles of HHKB and Realforce keycaps? And are there any existing MX sets from previous or current group buys that could be used with RF sets? I would love to use the CMYW GMK modifiers on a black RF 87U but I'm assuming the profiles won't match? I guess the 6u HHKB and RF spacebars will probably be an issue :/

currently we only have the 1u slider. I'm also working on the stabilized keys and the spacebar, but the prototyping phase is really expensive, so one step at a time.

ahah, nono, like I said, I specifically asked about that.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:48:24 »
It should be possible to cut production cost on shapeways by combining multiple sliders. Looking forward to your feedback, if you confirm that everything is working properly we can try to reduce production costs.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:58:24 »
It should be possible to cut production cost on shapeways by combining multiple sliders. Looking forward to your feedback, if you confirm that everything is working properly we can try to reduce production costs.

Could you, for instance, combine an entire HHKB's worth of sliders into a single print by connecting them with very small filaments? And when you receive them, snap them apart and sand away any sprue marks.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:40:51 »

Could you, for instance, combine an entire HHKB's worth of sliders into a single print by connecting them with very small filaments? And when you receive them, snap them apart and sand away any sprue marks.

yes exactly.

We still miss the stabilized keys, but we could run a batch of 10 or 20 sliders all together.

Offline note

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:48:36 »
I'll definitely upgrade to HHKB when this thing is in full production. Great job OP!

Offline Merloobi

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 15:58:03 »
I'm getting whichever comes out first, the novatouch or these sliders+hhkb

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 16:36:50 »

yes exactly.

We still miss the stabilized keys, but we could run a batch of 10 or 20 sliders all together.

Do you have a good sense of how far down we could get the cost? $1/slider seems like the optimal price-point – I could easily imagine spending $60 to be able to outfit my HHKB. Even $1.50/slider would be doable, but far above that would get pretty painful.

It also might make sense to assume that White Detail is fine as a material when doing these cost estimates since your experience seems to indicate that they will be fine.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 18:10:23 »
Do you have a good sense of how far down we could get the cost? $1/slider seems like the optimal price-point – I could easily imagine spending $60 to be able to outfit my HHKB. Even $1.50/slider would be doable, but far above that would get pretty painful.

It also might make sense to assume that White Detail is fine as a material when doing these cost estimates since your experience seems to indicate that they will be fine.

Considering that the worst material is "almost working", I guess White Detail would be "good enough". Printing 10 or 20 sliders at a time I guess we can cut cost quite a bit. I'll make a test run tomorrow.

I just hope the last iteration of the slider works :)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 18:16:47 »
I just hope the last iteration of the slider works :)

Well, we'll find out in a couple of weeks ;)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 22:40:38 »
Matt, did you by chance ever figure out a way to easily replace the HHKB sliders?
;)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 02:52:02 »
Matt, did you by chance ever figure out a way to easily replace the HHKB sliders?

Push the slider from top applying a small pressure in the spot just over the dent. I use the back of a screw driver that is rubberized. The dent gets slightly smoothed, but it still works.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 04:17:40 »

Push the slider from top applying a small pressure in the spot just over the dent. I use the back of a screw driver that is rubberized. The dent gets slightly smoothed, but it still works.

Sweet, thanks, I'll look into it.
;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 04:25:38 »

Glad the screw driver method worked for you too! :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 04:31:52 »
yes, sorry, forgot to mention. that's dustinhxc's idea.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 05:49:20 »
Ordered a couple of different ones for when I get my HHKB pro 2. Really excited about the development of this :D .

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 06:11:02 »

Glad the screw driver method worked for you too! :)

Just tested it, and it worked for me! That was my sole concern if anything with this, but now I can't find any reasons no to try these sliders out soon :D
;)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 14:59:44 »
This is fantastic, my wallet awaits an economical solution.  HHKB with Cherry caps mmmmmmmmm yess...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 20:08:04 »
yes, sorry, forgot to mention. that's dustinhxc's idea.

No worries buddy, I'm sure others have used that method before me. :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:38:22 »
Man I ordered the day it went up and says not shipping till 25th.. Should've did an entire row.. *facepalm* I'll have to wait a few weeks if I want more arg. Not by choice but because of shape ways...

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:45:14 »
Damn, that kinda sucks, I guess 3D printing takes time though :P

Let us know how they turn out when you do get them!
;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:47:44 »
Yeah it's worth the wait. I think it's because I chose 1 of each color. Because the frosted is already being made. The others are pending. Oh well. :)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 06:54:10 »
I ordered four and they're all pending. The estimated ship date is Wednesday for me.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 07:04:12 »
I ordered four and they're all pending. The estimated ship date is Wednesday for me.

they usually are finished a couple of days before the ETA.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:47:23 »
YES!

First sample arrived to user osxoep who posted some pictures on DT

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:50:37 »
Awesome!

I just checked my order status and it looks like 3/4 of my sliders have been printed. Hopefully the last one is finished up today and they can all ship tomorrow :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 13:06:05 »
YES!

First sample arrived to user osxoep who posted some pictures on DT

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome!!!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 14:03:16 »
As I imagined the new slider is a very tight fit. The frosted material is probably the one that shrinks less so it will be very fit on the housing, while cheaper material will probably be more "relaxed". Please let me know if the slider hits on the feet or on the barrel.

I prefer a fit slider to a wobbling slider. If it is annoying you can file it a little with very fine sanding paper, but please note that all topre sliders are factory-lubed.

Anyway looking forward to your reports.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 18:18:11 »
Is the plan to eventually start mass producing these? A full set is looking mighty expensive...

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 00:05:53 »
Is the plan to eventually start mass producing these? A full set is looking mighty expensive...

Well Thorpe users are used to shelling out a lot of money on things :P

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 02:55:36 »

I have some ideas to reduce costs, yes. I'll keep you posted

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:46:01 »

A full 87U set of the Frosted Ultra Detail would cost just shy of $600. That.... is ridiculous, even for Topre owners.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 14:11:08 »

A full 87U set of the Frosted Ultra Detail would cost just shy of $600. That.... is ridiculous, even for Topre owners.

I ordered 1 of those and 4 of the Polished Strong & Flexible Plastic which are $3.25 Ill let you know how they feel.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:48:09 »

I'll most likely be able to test them next week.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:56:54 »
YES!

Keep us posted!

From early report it seems you need to sand just a little the side of the feet, but it probably depends on the material.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 02:47:26 »
oh man it seems everyone is getting themmmm..  :confused:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 05:51:54 »
Would it be possible, perhaps, to take a rubber dome keyboard that has MX compatible stems (Gateway Anykey, Tandon Me 101) or other switches with MX compatible stems (where the slider is held by the switch TOP, like Futaba Clicky or Maxi) and make a new top plate from them to press the Topre domes?

Most likely cheaper than 3D printing.

Or we can wait for the Coolermaster Novatouch to come out and harvest the sliders from that.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 06:07:14 »
Would it be possible, perhaps, to take a rubber dome keyboard that has MX compatible stems (Gateway Anykey, Tandon Me 101) or other switches with MX compatible stems (where the slider is held by the switch TOP, like Futaba Clicky or Maxi) and make a new top plate from them to press the Topre domes?

Most likely cheaper than 3D printing.

Or we can wait for the Coolermaster Novatouch to come out and harvest the sliders from that.

as I said I'm trying to find a way to make cheaper sliders. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:07:02 »
So stuff has happened today, but I did find some time to test the sliders I got a very minimal amount.
The Violet Purple Strong & Flexible Polished fit well, but was a tiny bit gritty. That is to be expected from something 3d printed I think.
The White Detail was a tight fit (like I believe Matt3o has mentioned), so I didn't try to fix it as I really didn't feel like doing that right now.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:34:55 »
I got mine today! Haven't had time to install but got the 4 bright colors strong and flexible, they were $3.30 each. the mx cap fits good and comes off good. The frosted $6.70 super tight fit the cap was real hard to get on and harder to get off. But looks nice. I'm stoked to try them!