Author Topic: Model M 1994 Issue  (Read 2758 times)

Offline chase

Model M 1994 Issue
« on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 19:38:00 »
My Model M I found at my local school won't work properly. I'll plug it in, and the caps lock and scroll lock key (Keys I was pressing before it stopped working, flash for a second, followed by a quick numlock flash, then the keyboard powers off. I've tried it on numerous of my systems to no avail. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Maybe I need a new cable? I'm in the dark here.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:04:15 »
Perhaps worth asking...are you plugging it into a PS/2 port while the computer is running?

If so, you need to reboot for the port to become active (assuming nothing was plugged into it at last startup). The LEDs will do the powerup sequence even if the keyboard can't send data.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline patrickgeekhack

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:25:05 »
Quote from: kishy;155236
Perhaps worth asking...are you plugging it into a PS/2 port while the computer is running?

If so, you need to reboot for the port to become active (assuming nothing was plugged into it at last startup). The LEDs will do the powerup sequence even if the keyboard can't send data.

Or is the OP using the keyboard with an adapter already? This was how my Dell AT101W behaved when my adapter stopped working. All the lights would come on once and then nothing. After I replaced the adapter, I could use the keyboard again.

Offline chase

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:26:08 »
I tried it with my USB to PS/2 Adapter, and a fresh boot secondary system. I have a feeling the wire is torn, because it was working fine up until I shifted the wire a little bit.

And, it was the IT Guys at my school, was never used by students.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:29:09 »
Quote from: chase;155238
I tried it with my USB to PS/2 Adapter, and a fresh boot secondary system. I have a feeling the wire is torn, because it was working fine up until I shifted the wire a little bit.

And, it was the IT Guys at my school, was never used by students.

I would still make sure the adapter is not faulty so that you can be sure it's the keyboard. Try another adapter or try another PS/2 keyboard with the same adapter. You need to proceed by elimination. Once you are sure it's the keyboard wire, then maybe you can try replacing the wire, but I don't know how you would do that. I'm not good at things like that. Unicomp may help you there. They do repair Model M. You can ask them to sell you the wire and you can find someone to do the soldering.

Offline chase

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:33:33 »
I've got my black dell AT101w plugged into the adapter right now, the adapter is fine.

BTW, I'm in Ontario to. Location?

Offline patrickgeekhack

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:35:13 »
Quote from: chase;155243
I've got my black dell AT101w plugged into the adapter right now, the adapter is fine.

BTW, I'm in Ontario to. Location?

In that case, I would suggest you contact Unicomp and see if you can buy a cable. You will need someone to replace it though.

I'm in KW by the way.

Offline vils

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:36:55 »
Quote from: ripster;155235
 I doubt it's the cable but a quick continuity test will find that out for you.

Welcome!

I suppose it's time to follow Ripster's advice, a continuity test.
Good luck.
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:38:35 »
Hey, it's a trio of Ontarians.

Windsor-Essex here.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline chase

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:39:31 »
I don't have a "proper" tool to take it apart. How do you all get yours apart.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:41:19 »
Quote from: kishy;155248
Hey, it's a trio of Ontarians.

Windsor-Essex here.

I noticed that :-)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:42:47 »
Quote from: chase;155249
I don't have a "proper" tool to take it apart. How do you all get yours apart.

If the Model M is identical to the Customizer, then you'll need a thinwall socket. I took my keyboard with me to Sears. It was easier than having to buy the wrong socket and then return it.

Offline vils

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:44:49 »
I don't have the proper tools either, the last time I did something like it I used a flashlight bulb, a battery and a some wire with attached sewing needles. Ghetto, but it worked.

Edit: sorry its 4 o'clock in the morning over here, misread your post. Take apart, not tools to test.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:47:26 by vils »
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline chase

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 20:53:04 »
I wonder if its better just trading my two black Dell AT101W's for a sealed in box 88 Model M. THe Dell is still pretty comfortable- to type on though, and passes the double shift test. I'm pretty sure its the wire now, because it was working fine before I moved the wire, I don't think its a connection problem on the inside, rather a problem with a short in the middle of the wire somewhere.

Offline didjamatic

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 January 2010, 21:34:57 »
Quote from: chase;155256
I wonder if its better just trading my two black Dell AT101W's for a sealed in box 88 Model M. THe Dell is still pretty comfortable- to type on though, and passes the double shift test. I'm pretty sure its the wire now, because it was working fine before I moved the wire, I don't think its a connection problem on the inside, rather a problem with a short in the middle of the wire somewhere.

If you don't want to, PM me the person who wants to do the trade and I have some Dells for them.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline chase

Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 13:15:49 »
UPDATE:

Getting it fixed for $30 = Shipping from pckeyboard.com. Bonus, they're replacing the internals with Buckling Spring tech rather then the soft touch I have now, but still keeping the same exterior.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Model M 1994 Issue
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 February 2010, 13:43:41 »
What part number is your Model M?