Author Topic: Remember that time when sakai4eva got crazy about MX Cherry switches?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline sakai4eva

You will soon enough.

I'm on a quest to find the (perhaps) ultimate tactile switch on MX cherry's catalogue, and so far I have tried 55g and 62g ergo Clears as well the plethora of the mainstream switches. My next project will involve jailhouse blues, so I have that covered.

So, any suggestions? I'm open to modding, spring mods, etc.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: Remember that time when sakai4eva got crazy about MX Cherry switches?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 00:29:03 »
Try some standard Greens or better yet some Greys which are just to die for as they are, no modding needed.

Putting up with limp-wristed switches should be banned here because we are raising a whole generation of weaklings content for the switch to move itself, instead of the user getting to firm up their own fingers.

Need to make all switches operate at a minimum of 79g because it's far better for your health and your wrists.  Time to man up here once and for all instead of being future mangina's.

Just my humble opinion here, so enjoy  8) .

Offline blackbox

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 01:13:13 »
Try some standard Greens or better yet some Greys which are just to die for as they are, no modding needed.

Putting up with limp-wristed switches should be banned here because we are raising a whole generation of weaklings content for the switch to move itself, instead of the user getting to firm up their own fingers.

Need to make all switches operate at a minimum of 79g because it's far better for your health and your wrists.  Time to man up here once and for all instead of being future mangina's.

Then I considered myself a man since a use mx grey at work :). On topic, mx greys are great and you should try them out OP.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 01:16:07 »

Then I considered myself a man since a use mx grey at work :). On topic, mx greys are great and you should try them out OP.

Pfft what a softcore you are. You need to type on super blacks.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:47:48 »
You haven't lived until you've tried trampoline modded switches * :)

My personal preference is worn in and then lubed plate mounted 62g trampoline and latex modded ErgoClears with Cherry profile POM caps, but GMK doubleshot ABS is acceptable, too.

*Just take a piece of oring and stuff it in the little tube in the switch. Or you can use a 2mm hole punch on a sheet of rubber to make little hourglass shaped "trampolines". Or you can buy the little balls IMSTO sells for the mod. My favourite in terms of feeling is 2mm long pieces from red orings, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:54:15 »
Worn in then lubed Ghost Blacks.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:57:09 »

Wouldn't that be linear?

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 17:05:08 »

Wouldn't that be linear?

Shoot I fudged up.  Thought sakai4eva was saying he found the ultimate tactile switch and is trying others.

Yup...I should stop spam posting x.x

Unlubed Panda Clears are probably the most tactile MX switch I've tried so far.  But I also have 65g and 68g springs on their way to me, so we'll see about that.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 17:41:12 »
What kind of feel are you looking for?

What non-MX switches have you tried? If you like tactile switches, my suspicion is you’ll find something else nicer than MX. But it really depends what specifically you’re looking for.

For example, the tactile variants of space invaders, SMKs, complicated Alps, Omrons, and Matias switches are all pretty nice.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:21:11 »

What non-MX switches have you tried? If you like tactile switches, my suspicion is you’ll find something else nicer than MX. But it really depends what specifically you’re looking for.

For example, the tactile variants of space invaders, SMKs, complicated Alps, Omrons, and Matias switches are all pretty nice.

I've got to get me some Matias Switched keyboards to see what all the fuss is about.  Currently addicted to anything Cherry-based or Realforce.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 23:44:09 »
Well, actually I'm open to any switches.

I've built my ergo with a combination of ergo 55 and ergo 62 clears, so now I'm thinking of another type of switch I could try out for my next project.

Honestly, I just want them feels when playing Dota 2/typing random short bursts.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:41:43 »
If that's the only type you've used, you should try something else. I used to have alot of MX stuff, but have sold most of it off now - only have 1 clears POS left and a vintage brown POS left - even sold my Das with blue without much use because I would just use space invaders instead.

When mentioning those, Buckling Springs must also get a mention. You should probably link what Matias said about MX again. To paraphrase "tactile MX" is a contradiction in terms.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)