Poll

Choose your preferred color combo for this set. PLEASE SEE PICTURES BELOW!

Pure Gray
57 (39.9%)
Beige
29 (20.3%)
Charcoal
57 (39.9%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: [IC] full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set  (Read 145193 times)

Offline yicaoyimu

Re: full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:54:11 »
I don't understand the point of having full grey ergodox kit, unless this kit is significantly cheaper than the grey DSA PBT ergodox kit that will be steadily available on SP website.

matching the color?

Matt, would it be better to change the color scheme of Ergodox kit to something similar to that of Hyperfuse Ergodox kit? The grey DSA PBT ergodox kit will steadily available on SP website and I personally think it would be better to make something special in the GB.

Here is a pic of Hyperfuse ergodox kit, for your reference.

KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:56:02 »
I know nothing about ergodox, I do whatever you want with it. I could add legends if you come up with a standard. (also in a GB they are supposed to be cheaper)

Offline justnits

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 19:28:05 »
some other colour scheme for ergodoxian mods to be considered:-

this colour scheme is what i like

this is penumbra's

this is commando's

i'm not sure about legends for the mods since ergodox is all about customising your own layout.

probably something for the push and pop layer?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 22:02:40 »
Matt,

Are you going to add any GH caps?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 23:29:23 »
Matt, would it be better to change the color scheme of Ergodox kit to something similar to that of Hyperfuse Ergodox kit? The grey DSA PBT ergodox kit will steadily available on SP website and I personally think it would be better to make something special in the GB.

Is it the same grey? Otherwise it's no good, as then you'll have alphas and mods from the base set of this GB but no matching 1.5x and 2x blanks. And wouldn't an additional color have it's own MOQ anyway, and thus there be no point in including it in this buy?

Re: legends, I'd like to see that as well and I've already suggested a few to Matt, but it's hard with how variable the layouts are. In addition to the existing set, I'd want 1.5x versions of delete and of various symbols like ' ", +=, -_ and brackets or slashes, and a 2x shift and return. Those are not universal, however, so I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 March 2014, 23:34:41 by jdeblese »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 01:37:16 »
I could add a couple of colors to the ergodox, but that would increase the cost I suppose.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 02:04:37 »
I could add a couple of colors to the ergodox, but that would increase the cost I suppose.

I thought you were going to propose a cheap keyset in PBT?  If you start adding more colours then the price tag rises and about 50% will drop out complaining about the cost (catch-22 situation again).

Just keep the colours absolutely minimal because we all want a quality key-set (I know it's SP) and it's more to do with font, type placement and classical looks that will last for years rather than flashy bits that get forgotten soon enough.  I know you are a designer of sorts so please don't get swayed by noobs wanting a "technicolour raincoat" for $40.00 a set  8) .

Offline justnits

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 02:46:04 »

hmm, what do you mean by adding more colours?

would it be possible to add 8 or 10 1x modifier gray coloured blanks to ergodox kit?
perhaps on some of the 1.5x blanks, maybe we can put "Ergo" "Dox" "Geek" "Hack" as legend? they are general enough.
just a suggestion :) i'm ok with blanks too if u think it's not feasible to put those legends.
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 02:49:42 »

would it be possible to add 8 or 10 1x modifier gray coloured blanks to ergodox kit?
perhaps on some of the 1.5x blanks, maybe we can put "Ergo" "Dox" "Geek" "Hack" as legend? they are general enough.
just a suggestion :) i'm ok with blanks too if u think it's not feasible to put those legends.

All kits are available in blank, so there's no point on adding 1u to the ergodox (just take one of the others).

Again, since ALL kits are available in blank I see no issues at adding legends to the ergodox (you can buy it with and without legends). But no GH or DT keys.

Offline justnits

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 03:13:55 »

All kits are available in blank, so there's no point on adding 1u to the ergodox (just take one of the others).

Again, since ALL kits are available in blank I see no issues at adding legends to the ergodox (you can buy it with and without legends). But no GH or DT keys.

ahh! gotcha! :) then it's all good :D
| | | |

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 04:46:27 »

I thought you were going to propose a cheap keyset in PBT?  If you start adding more colours then the price tag rises and about 50% will drop out complaining about the cost (catch-22 situation again).

Just keep the colours absolutely minimal because we all want a quality key-set (I know it's SP) and it's more to do with font, type placement and classical looks that will last for years rather than flashy bits that get forgotten soon enough.  I know you are a designer of sorts so please don't get swayed by noobs wanting a "technicolour raincoat" for $40.00 a set  8) .

Actually really agree with this! Good point.

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 05:05:44 »
I think that hyperfuse set is ideal. Using the secondary color as an accent rather than forcing all the unlabelled to be a the secondary color. Although I do think that single blue key in the grey layout is beautiful.

For legends it might be prudent to just go with commons - tab, caps lock, 2x shift - all in 1.5x.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 05:07:17 by squarefrog »

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 05:40:53 »
-1 for Gotham Rounded, WYSE or Cherry Legends on this set.

They are a great choice for when you need to flow plastic in double-shots but as an actual typeface aren't great.

Given this set is dye-sub it would be a missed opportunity to not choose a really great font that doesn't need to be limited by plastic flow and instead choose something that has a beautiful design to really make this set stand-out from the crowd.

Univers would be a great cohice. HP used it on their early PC keyboards and Apple used an italic condensed version on their Extended both to great effect.

[)amien

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:15:54 »
For legends it might be prudent to just go with commons - tab, caps lock, 2x shift - all in 1.5x.

Many are already available in 1.5x, either in the base set or pro kit. Shift, delete and escape could be added, however.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:25:40 »

They are a great choice for when you need to flow plastic in double-shots but as an actual typeface aren't great.

Given this set is dye-sub it would be a missed opportunity to not choose a really great font that doesn't need to be limited by plastic flow and instead choose something that has a beautiful design to really make this set stand-out from the crowd.

Univers would be a great cohice. HP used it on their early PC keyboards and Apple used an italic condensed version on their Extended both to great effect.

Show Image

Show Image

[)amien

Fonts are personal taste of course, but that Apple Keyboard has really ugly legends in my opinion.

For me this is just as ugly as those atrocities from Vortex...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:32:30 »

Note, you might want to make it clear that you’re -1 on Gotham Rounded, -1 on Cherry, and -1 on WYSE. Your comment could easily be interpreted as "use WYSE or Cherry instead".

Anyhow, I agree. However, given that Matt seems to like Gotham Rounded, and this is his show, it is what it is. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to pick a geometric-ish sans like Gotham though (though I like Futura/Avenir better for this purpose I think).

But sure for a dye-sub there’s certainly room for typefaces with more delicate and distinctive features, which would make more of a statement. I don’t think Univers is the most interesting possible choice though, especially for letters centered on DSA keycaps.

Heck, if SP’s dye-subs can pull enough DPI, why not go for something like Optima (it may be overused in plenty of contexts, but I think Optima keycaps would be pretty sweet), etc.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:33:25 »
For me [old Apple keycap legends are] just as ugly as those atrocities from Vortex...
Now you’re just asking for a fist-fight.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:38:48 »
Given this set is dye-sub it would be a missed opportunity to not choose a really great font that doesn't need to be limited by plastic flow
By the way, there are Apple IIGS keyboards (A9M0330) which use the condensed Univers italic which are very thick double-injection molded ABS, with legends that are actually quite a bit crisper than the dye-subbed PBT versions. So I’m not sure plastic flow was really the limiting feature here.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:45:00 »
Fonts are personal taste of course, but that Apple Keyboard has really ugly legends in my opinion.

For me this is just as ugly as those atrocities from Vortex...

Univers was designed by a world-renowned type designer and is a top selling font used by designers across the world.  VAG Rounded was a corporate font for the Volkswagen group...

The Apple keyboards used an italic condensed version which I admit isn't as nice.

Futura would be another nice option, as would Frutiger 65 or one of the other Swiss Gothics.

Yes, I'm -1 on all the usual bubble-fonts we're forced to use for double-shots. This set is going to feel special, it should look it!

[)amien

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:46:28 »
For me [old Apple keycap legends are] just as ugly as those atrocities from Vortex...
Now you’re just asking for a fist-fight.

:p

Offline justnits

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:54:18 »
personally i am a bit tired of seeing cherry font to be honest LOL!
i prefer wyse font but this is matt3o's set...he can do whatever he wants and as of now, i can still accept gotham.
| | | |

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:11:10 »
Futura would be another nice option, as would Frutiger 65 or one of the other Swiss Gothics.

Yes, I'm -1 on all the usual bubble-fonts we're forced to use for double-shots. This set is going to feel special, it should look it!
If you’ll take Futura, then Gotham (the non-rounded version) shouldn’t be too far out. Futura and Frutiger are pretty darn far apart.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:21:18 »
Am I one of the only ones that likes Gotham Rounded? I think the rounded shape fits the curved outlines of DSA caps better than a geometric font would, and it is a much nicer font than the standard doubleshot font.

probably something for the push and pop layer?

Any ideas for legends on these keys? Maybe just "push" and "pop"?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:25:37 »
I'm not set on the typeface. The IC on this set started last year and at the end we settled on a "round" font (to get some retro flavor) and of all rounded, Gotham was one of the best.

Please remember that these are symmetrical, spherical top keys (DSA), very different from the standard cherry profile (or DCS), and the font has been selected with that in mind.

Some of the tests we made (but I personally tested dozens of them)

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 07:53:59 »
Many are already available in 1.5x, either in the base set or pro kit. Shift, delete and escape could be added, however.

OK fair enough - I struggle to figure out the widths from the pictures.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:04:02 »
I'm not set on the typeface. The IC on this set started last year and at the end we settled on a "round" font (to get some retro flavor) and of all rounded, Gotham was one of the best.

Again we are all grateful with your choice in font and I'm at least happy with it (although I'm a sucker for more VAG  :thumb: ).  DSA will just frame each letter and number perfectly.  3/4 of us wouldn't know what a carefully designed key-set would look like, hence your guidance is required here.

We all want a PBT set to keep for a long time on our keyboards and I'm hoping this is the one  ;) .
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:06:53 by Elrick »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:10:46 »
Also guys... the SP PBT spacebar is one of the least bent/distorted PBT spacebar I've seen so far. Kodos to SP engineers, they did a really great job.

Later today, more updated layouts.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:14:07 »
OK fair enough - I struggle to figure out the widths from the pictures.

Ditto - I've been using a little piece of paper with various markings to measure ;D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:15:19 »
I like this one. What name is it?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:16:59 »
Also guys... the SP PBT spacebar is one of the least bent/distorted PBT spacebar I've seen so far. Kodos to SP engineers, they did a really great job.

Photos or it never happened.....  Really want to see this so-called "engineered PBT Spacebar" with no bend/distortion  8) .

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:18:19 »

It's already labelled by Matt3o, it's a VAG font, nice isn't it?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:18:53 »

Photos or it never happened.....  Really want to see this so-called "engineered PBT Spacebar" with no bend/distortion  8) .

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:19:27 »

It's already labelled by Matt3o, it's a VAG font, nice isn't it?

It is very nice, well saturated that will make the sublimation process to work at its best.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:20:14 »

Show Image

Finally a PBT Spacebar done to perfection.  Nice, SP is really picking up their game now.

Offline justnits

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:56:20 »
i kinda like gotham light and helvetica neue...but i'm not sure if the dyesub can make the thin font looks sharp...
| | | |

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 11:11:28 »
Show Image

I normally avoid Helvetica as it's overused these days but it does make nice looking caps.

[)amien

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 12:55:00 »

Show Image

[)amien

That HP is nice -- is it yours?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:15:26 »

Show Image

[)amien

- Ron | samwisekoi

Are the HP board legends DS?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:43:00 »
Working on the icon set, there's really a lot of work to do. Some are too thick others too thin, some rounded other squared... gosh

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:49:06 »
I know it’s the classic standard, but is there any particular reason for icon versions of the ‘tab’ key to also show a ‘back-tab’ icon? Back in the day it made some sense since there had been computers (in the 70s?) with 2 separate keys, one for previous field and one for next field, or whatever. But at this point I’d expect that just the forward tab icon to be enough.

Also, if you’re drawing inspiration from Apple’s symbol for the Alt/Option key, and for Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/Delete, you may also want to look at their Caps Lock symbol, which is a shift arrow w/ an additional rectangle beneath; to me it makes more logical sense than the downward pointing arrow.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:51:23 by jacobolus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:52:07 »
Working on the icon set, there's really a lot of work to do. Some are too thick others too thin, some rounded other squared... gosh

Show Image

I may help on editing graphic files, just let me know the type, resolution and it they need an alpha channel.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 13:55:56 »
I may help on editing graphic files, just let me know the type, resolution and it they need an alpha channel.
Presumably would be most useful as a vector format like PDF, SVG, etc.?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 14:01:56 »
SVG or PS formats can be edited and generated with inkscape. Depending on the source of the original image it may need to be redrawn.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 15:07:20 »

Show Image

Oooh look!

Mac Option keys!

I don't think I've seen a set with those before!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 17:28:02 »

Show Image

Oooh look!

Mac Option keys!

I don't think I've seen a set with those before!

Yep that's Matt3o for you, always designing new key-sets for the majority of users.  This is why his Group Buys tries to please everyone everywhere.

If people want something unique then this may be the Group Buy for them.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 17:34:20 »

Show Image

[)amien

- Ron | samwisekoi

That exact board is not but I have an identical one in my cupboard. Just love the legends and the key profile. Unfortunately a rubber dome albeit a nicer one.

[)amien

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 17:36:13 »

Show Image

Some very nice legends there Matt3o!

[)amien

Offline PhineasRex

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 19:24:24 »
Compose key which size? 1u?
1u would be great. That is the only size key that fits on a Tipro!

Also, the symbol keys look great.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 19:28:13 by PhineasRex »

Offline justnits

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 20:16:54 »

Show Image

matt, u didn't want the scroll lock's padlock to be on capslock?
| | | |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:00:20 »

Show Image

matt, u didn't want the scroll lock's padlock to be on capslock?

I think I'll find something better for the scroll lock, still working on it