Poll

Choose your preferred color combo for this set. PLEASE SEE PICTURES BELOW!

Pure Gray
57 (39.9%)
Beige
29 (20.3%)
Charcoal
57 (39.9%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: [IC] full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set  (Read 145172 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: full PBT (spacebar included), gray or beige set
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:17:43 »
I don't think the nerd kit gels at all with the rest of the set, what with everything else looking so simple and bold.
Just m'two cents.

I value every opinion, but you should try to propose some alternative. The purpose of the nerdom is to have some geeky keys, we can also have some general purpose icons (calculator, home, browser, etc...) that best match the base kit.

Regarding colors.

As much as I like the charcoal IF we are going to have multi colored legends the best option is PURE GRAY. The only legend color we could use with charcoal is black. So pure gray is more flexible and would let us have third legends in blue/green or red for example (for international layouts).

What do you think?

Okay then can you apply all Charcoal on the F1 to F12 set?  Make a lighter Grey on the F1 to F12 set as well?  Just want a choice for applying 2 different colour codes for this area.

you want a color proof?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:25:58 »
For the ergodox set, what about including more keys than required with different legends? Perhaps grab the most used ones as suggested before.

As for color, I'd go with pure grey. Seems like it'd match more boards and more options for text color is always nice.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:35:01 »
I value every opinion, but you should try to propose some alternative. The purpose of the nerdom is to have some geeky keys, we can also have some general purpose icons (calculator, home, browser, etc...) that best match the base kit.
I dunno, instead of the spindly Debian logo, I would suggest the Ubuntu, Arch (maybe), or Manjaro logo.
 I think they fit better.
Ooh, how about a Sun logo?
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:36:06 »
For the ergodox set, what about including more keys than required with different legends? Perhaps grab the most used ones as suggested before.

this would be an option, but of course the kit will be more expensive.

Here's the catch. If you ergodox users can reach an agreement, let me know and I'll add whatever you decide, otherwise I'll just add blanks. But hurry up! I want it finalized by next week.

I dunno, instead of the spindly Debian logo, I would suggest the Ubuntu, Arch (maybe), or Manjaro logo.
 I think they fit better.
Ooh, how about a Sun logo?

Sun logo is actually a nice idea :)

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:39:37 »
Any chance of a Sun super key?

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:42:43 »
quite a good idea to put up our config in a thread.
but who's going to look at the data and mark out the common keys?

I'm happy to do that. Although the nerd in me would rather make a Rails app that allows collection of the data and display with charts. Frequency charts FTW!

Offline justnits

« Reply #256 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 02:52:54 »
quite a good idea to put up our config in a thread.
but who's going to look at the data and mark out the common keys?

I'm happy to do that. Although the nerd in me would rather make a Rails app that allows collection of the data and display with charts. Frequency charts FTW!

haha! well, whichever way works for u i suppose :)
to be honest i'm waiting for my dox set to ship out HOPEFULLY by end of march.
i was playing around with the ergodox configuration a lot, imagining what layout i like best.
i might end up getting blanks for the ergodox set :P
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 03:04:00 »
this would be an option, but of course the kit will be more expensive.

Here's the catch. If you ergodox users can reach an agreement, let me know and I'll add whatever you decide, otherwise I'll just add blanks. But hurry up! I want it finalized by next week.

The set almost has everything covered in my layout (though some of the 1.5x keys I'd need are in the pro kit). Only change or addition would be a layer toggle 2x key, where "Fn" would suffice as the legend.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 03:07:56 »
There’s no way that’s going to happen unless someone sets up a poll (I'd recommend it go in the 'keyboards' or 'ergonomics' subfora here) or similar ("what legend do you want for vertical 1.5x, vertical 2x, horizontal 1.5x"). Creating a sufficient poll and gathering the data would be a big pain, since the standard forum poll option doesn’t have enough flexibility to properly represent it, so it probably has to be off-site, or else manually tabulated.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 03:14:01 »
do whatever it takes... if there's interest of course. I can't work on that, I really know nothing about ergodox.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #260 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 04:04:17 »
Okay then can you apply all Charcoal on the F1 to F12 set?  Make a lighter Grey on the F1 to F12 set as well?  Just want a choice for applying 2 different colour codes for this area.

you want a color proof?

Colour proof?  Considering it's just shades of grey, why not?  I just love having all the F1 to F12's done in a single shade of grey or charcoal  ;) .

But you're the designer and I won't interfere with your suggestions for the final release of this key-set.  After all this one could be your greatest 'subtle' key-set released thus far.  Try and resist an all out kaleidoscope of colour to please the young ones here, we need something a little restrained so that it sits on our keyboards a lot longer than some other colour-ways.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 04:09:05 by Elrick »

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 06:48:12 »
I think it would be useful to get a big list of configurator printouts, then add all the modifiers to a database so future GB organisers can know what the most common setup will be.

This is what I did, by hand earlier this week for the first 22 layouts I could find with Google. I had excluded the layer keys as I didn't see a good way to legend them, but Squarefrog and I were discussing over on DT that maybe just a LAYER key would work and give the most flexibility.

In any case, here's the sample data (PDF, excel available if you want). An automatic scraper would be better, and probably give more accurate results.

Do you guys think we can get a full poll organized before next week?

Otherwise, considering the set already does match reasonably well, I'd suggest we either drop the 1.5x /? key for a LAYER key, or add two LAYER keys. If all of us ergodoxers are gonna get blanks as well, then we can replace the SPACE with either an FN or a LAYER as well. We should be able to decide that pretty quickly.

EDIT: just wanted to add, I'd really like to see legend on these caps, even if they're only a partial match. Legended ergodox keys don't seem to crop up often.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:04:05 by jdeblese »

Offline justnits

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:11:23 »
I think it would be useful to get a big list of configurator printouts, then add all the modifiers to a database so future GB organisers can know what the most common setup will be.

This is what I did, by hand earlier this week for the first 22 layouts I could find with Google. I had excluded the layer keys as I didn't see a good way to legend them, but Squarefrog and I were discussing over on DT that maybe just a LAYER key would work and give the most flexibility.

In any case, here's the sample data (PDF, excel available if you want). An automatic scraper would be better, and probably give more accurate results.

Otherwise, considering the set already does match reasonably well, I'd suggest we either drop the 1.5x /? key for a LAYER key, or add two LAYER keys. If all of us ergodoxers are gonna get blanks as well, then we can replace the SPACE with either an FN or a LAYER as well. We should be able to decide that pretty quickly.

EDIT: just wanted to add, I'd really like to see legend on these caps, even if they're only a partial match. Legended ergodox keys don't seem to crop up often.

i think we can drop the \| and tab key also since it's offered in the base alpha?

EDIT: eh my bad, both tab and \| isn't in the ergo kit  :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:13:16 by justnits »
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:16:38 »
i think we can drop the \| and tab key also since it's offered in the base alpha?

Yes, they're not in the erogodox set as it stands as they're already available. Mods like Ctrl and Alt are available in the Pro kit in the right sizes, so I'd not include those either. But what I mean by drop is, /? is currently in the ergodox set but is an infrequent key, and so is the best candidate for substitution if we don't want to be adding more keys to the set.

Any key that is already available somewhere in the current set is marked in green on my spreadsheet.

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #264 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:41:30 »

+1 for this - i'd rather have wrong legends than no legends.

So I looked at the source on the configurator page, and it looks like it would be pretty easy to scrape. I can definitely write something that allows you to submit your name and an url and it'll scrape the modifiers for layer 0.

Whether I can get it done and populated by next weeks deadline, I dont know!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #265 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 09:55:36 »
there's no fixed deadline, but the sooner the better.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 09:58:40 »

Ok, given it a bit more thought.

~L1 (layer 1 toggle if I'm not mistaken) is by far the most common layer key, and is very similar in function to FN. There's already one 1.5x FN key included in the Pro set, which I assume most will get for the other 1.5x mods ayway. I'd therefore suggest either swapping the /? or SUPER key for FN, potentially giving you two "layer" keys, or otherwise just adding two new 1.5x LAYER keys for a total of 18 dox set keys.

I'm partial to the first, swapping out SUPER for FN, as it's just as rare as /? but that way we maintain the balance of half mods, half symbols.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:06:10 »
Just messing around...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:06:34 »
Just messing around...

Show Image

very interesting!

Offline justnits

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:13:25 »
Just messing around...

Show Image

you sir, are messing with my brain and wallet....
| | | |

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #270 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:18:10 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:20:53 »
Any chance for English International legends?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:31:52 »
Any chance for English International legends?

define "english international legends"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:35:40 »
US International.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:00:40 »
Color selection

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #275 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:36:11 »
**** YEAH CHARCOAL
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:08:17 »
**** YEAH CHARCOAL

please consider that charcoal is still down by 10 points (summing DT poll)... and that charcoal can't have additional colors for the legends.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:15:11 »
I like charcoal, but I like those double legends more. Matt3o, you haven't posted pics of it here, have you?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:19:44 »
some updates.

First international kit (of two). Please don't mind the legend size, I have to work on that, this is just to show the list of keys.

And updated nerdom:

Offline jufa

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:30:17 »
i voted for Charcoal but i will order more for that "messing around"

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 19:09:46 »
Just messing around...

Show Image

Nice, considering they finally fixed their ukrainian problem we should get this done here.  Not because I love Russia by any means but I hate ukrainians even more.

Would love to buy a few sets to help show my support for them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 19:13:00 »
some updates.

And updated nerdom:

Show Image

Dear Matt3o can you include a refresh key to replace the F5 on the keyboard? 

After all you included some useless extra keys for no reason that won't be used by the majority here yet you never looked at putting in a valid REFRESH icon for us (Internet Browser) "F5" users.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 19:15:45 »
some updates.

First international kit (of two). Please don't mind the legend size, I have to work on that, this is just to show the list of keys.

Show Image

And updated nerdom:

Show Image

No Sun key?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 21:43:27 »
Just messing around...

Show Image

Matt,

if you do end up doing something like this you will still have the option to get the regular English only layout also correct?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 21:46:35 »
I like charcoal, but I like those double legends more. Matt3o, you haven't posted pics of it here, have you?

Show Image

The black & Blue legends like this looks cool.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:08:13 »

Show Image

Certainly. I hope the set might be done this way.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #286 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:41:15 »

Show Image

Can never be done that way unless it's injection moulded but this Group Buy is strictly print on PBT ONLY.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:41:26 »
some updates.

Show Image

And updated nerdom:

Show Image

Glad you added the GH key :thumb:
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:41:28 »
I wouldn't be interested in dual colours.

Offline justnits

« Reply #289 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 23:17:01 »

Show Image

Can never be done that way unless it's injection moulded but this Group Buy is strictly print on PBT ONLY.

i believe both colors will be dyesub also.
ivan's previous pbt has multicolor dyesub.

matt, it'll be wicked if this set has 2 layouts with different color (standard ansi and dvorak/colemak/russian) or even like what jdeblese posted  :thumb:

| | | |

Offline Gametris

« Reply #290 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 00:47:03 »
I would love an Aperture logo from portal in the nerd section. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Aperture-Science-Vector-Logo-76503583

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #291 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 01:13:38 »
I would love an Aperture logo from portal in the nerd section. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Aperture-Science-Vector-Logo-76503583
Aperture Science, we do what we must because we can.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 01:47:51 »
some updates.

And updated nerdom:

Show Image

After all you included some useless extra keys for no reason that won't be used by the majority here yet you never looked at putting in a valid REFRESH icon for us (Internet Browser) "F5" users.

which one would be "useless"?

some updates.

Show Image

And updated nerdom:

Show Image

No Sun key?

I ran out of free spots.

Just messing around...

Show Image

Matt,

if you do end up doing something like this you will still have the option to get the regular English only layout also correct?

Of course. That was just a test.

Thanks for the suggestion. If I get a free spot, I might add that.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #293 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:21:33 »
some updates.

And updated nerdom:

Show Image

which one would be "useless"?

Let me itemize the ones that no one will use on any keyboard...... -1) Transformer junk (really for kids only, don't need it for men) -2) Umbrella Corp Logo (done to death already) -3) Green Lantern Logo (again kiddie junk) -4) Game related Logo's SP won't print them up for fear of litigation (please speak with SP about that).

Hence I have already trimmed back the junk to reveal heaps of space for additional keys.  Sorry if the children are upset here but you are getting SP, a Company in the United States to make this key-set and hence they must follow the appropriate laws relating to Logo usage and payment schemes which most here won't agree to.

Safest bet,  use generic Logo's that are readily available and are copyright FREE .
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:24:51 by Elrick »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:45:35 »
I don't agree with the way Elrick said it, but I do agree with him in that perhaps we ought to come up with things that haven't been done before.

I'm sure Matteo would appreciate some specific suggestions though as he has been open to ideas throughout this IC. I won't use most of the keys in the Nerd set, but I won't label those that do as kids. Matteo has already mentioned his is aware of trademark issues. Let's try to come up with some ideas for us to consider.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 04:58:43 »
I don't agree with the way Elrick said it, but I do agree with him in that perhaps we ought to come up with things that haven't been done before.

Sorry to be so blunt but I never beat about the bush when people ask me about my opinions.  You should know that by now.  I use to have once a cd that contained Royalty-FREE logos and insignias but that was when I was at school so long ago.

For instance you need to design a couple of "REFRESH" Logos, I think you did one with RETRO some time ago and it works nicely on my Kmac Mini.  I love it, works nicely - fits in with the overall key-set theme without it being dominant.

Also remember to have some play-media logos for use on any Ducky Keyboard as well.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 05:04:56 »
I only agree on the copyright issues.

Saying that green lantern is for kids means to really don't know anything about the green lantern (or maybe you just watched that horrible movie they did some years ago that should not even be mentioned).

Like stoic-lemon said, suggest a key. A "refresh" key is not "nerdom" (probably you missed the point about that kit), I could place that in the multimedia kit eventually.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 05:06:27 by Matt3o »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #297 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 05:19:41 »
Saying that green lantern is for kids means to really don't know anything about the green lantern (or maybe you just watched that horrible movie they did some years ago that should not even be mentioned).

Not a fan of fantasy flicks and anytime you have a grown man possessing a ring of power that quickly gets put into the children's section for my cousins, nieces and nephews.

Like stoic-lemon said, suggest a key. A "refresh" key is not "nerdom" (probably you missed the point about that kit), I could place that in the multimedia kit eventually.

"Nerdom" considering I have no concept of what that is (despite being registered here at GH) I suggest you ask some computer geek (software writer perhaps) to suggest some possible logo usage.  I'd rather something that is timeless and all people would understand it when seen. 

Just don't rip-off any current Gaming Logos due to the issues already mentioned.

Sometimes I use this place to download and use on certain reports I write at work;

http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/computer-brand-logos.html

Please note: I am not a qualified Graphics Professional, I am just a humble grease-monkey with a personal interest in Keyboards and Key-caps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 05:43:34 by Elrick »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #298 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 05:50:43 »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #299 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 05:53:58 »
"Nerdom" considering I have no concept of what that is

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+nerdom

Maybe you fit in as the "Alpha-Nerd" Matt3o?  You should at least post a pic of yourself on at least one key-cap  :thumb: .