Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 472227 times)

Offline Sniping

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #3050 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 15:54:27 »
I've driven some of these, owned none, read and seen a lot of opinions about them. I think I can give you some input here, but also some perspective. I think the RX-8 is a great underrated car right now but it's hard to find one that has good history, is cheap, and there's still risk that it can become a huge issue for you. You have good taste though. I think you have a pretty good list of cars that can be daily driven, but just the fact that this is your only car means that you cannot risk it being broken down for very long.

I think the Fiesta ST was really fun to just keep it floored off every light. One of the odd deal breakers for me is that it's basically impossible to heel toe with the pedal setup. It really annoyed me and I guess I made it work, but it's not ideal.

Good call on the 90's cars. You definitely need to be able to diagnose and fix issues as they come up, and it's just a lot of work for a daily and first car because it comes with mechanical liability. This part is debatable for sure, but for safety reasons and comfort, it's a good idea to not make a 90's car your only vehicle.

About the perspective thing. It sounds like your use case is just daily driving and some mountain road fun. To me, the best car for that is maybe like one tier or so cheaper than the cars you're considering, and the reason is is that you want something you can be prepared to bang up and not be sad about it. There's a lot of plain stupid drivers out on the road, and it'd be a lot sadder to see your dream car get jacked up in any possible collision, as opposed to a daily workhorse. People that make frequent backroad runs always jack up their car too. It's just hard to push your car frequently and expect it to not be damaged at all, and it makes it a constant worry in the back of your mind. This on top of the fact that it's your first car and you're learning to row a manual means that you have a whole lot to think about while driving. You'd probably want something that you could afford to potentially even total or wreck completely. To me, it's a lot more satisfying just driving fast and feeling like you don't have much to lose. When you buy a car that's at the limit of your budget, sometimes it becomes a liability and worry more than anything. I also wouldn't worry about a car's overall characteristics much in terms of over/understeering, because the car is already losing grip at that point. You have to drive a car close to its limit to start experiencing any of this, and you basically have to be driving like a maniac on the street or pushing relatively hard in the back road to have to worry about any of this.

So, if you ask me, this is what more the list would look like if you downgraded a tier
Honda Fit
8th gen civic si
acura rsx base or type-s
e46 330i (or any variation, don't bother with the zhp)
e90/e92 328i/330i, or 128i
rx-8
nc miata

All these choices are more between the 5-10k range as opposed to 10-15k range with your choices but it's still a challenge to find a nice one with a reasonable past owner, especially with the civic si, even though that'd probably be my top choice out of the list for a daily. Keep in mind the more sporty the trim, the harder the car will likely have been driven in the past. It's an interesting concept that most people don't talk about, but it's one of the reasons why I don't have much interest in the 350z/g35 vq/hr platform, since it's just not easy to find a clean one that's not sus. Ultimately, it's your choice how nice of a car you want, but I think it's important to consider if you'd be happier with an older work horse or a clean baby. Most people that run the mountain roads hard really go for ****ty cars that they can send every night, but it sounds like there's some other factors at play here plus you gotta get your driving down. Good luck though! More than anything it's just about scoring a deal on a solid used car in my eyes.

the best keyboard is the one in front of you

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3051 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 16:31:50 »
Thank you Sniping for your insight, and you are spot on with many of your points. The Civic SI was a consideration, but ultimately I'd rather spend the extra for the Fiesta.
also I just don't like BMWs, sorry BMW fans

I also see after all that being considered you still put the RX-8 on your recommended list, and I am strongly feeling the same way right now. What the Mazda offers over everything else for the price can't be ignored, and everything I am reading is people who say the RX-8 is unreliable are people who never owned one. And the RX-8 has enough weirdness that makes it more personable.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3052 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 19:03:27 »
Thank you Sniping for your insight, and you are spot on with many of your points. The Civic SI was a consideration, but ultimately I'd rather spend the extra for the Fiesta.
also I just don't like BMWs, sorry BMW fans

I also see after all that being considered you still put the RX-8 on your recommended list, and I am strongly feeling the same way right now. What the Mazda offers over everything else for the price can't be ignored, and everything I am reading is people who say the RX-8 is unreliable are people who never owned one. And the RX-8 has enough weirdness that makes it more personable.

Yep, the RX-8 is a rather temperamental platform but a great choice. It's well behaved on the limit and pretty neutral, whereas its main competitor, the S2000, is a scarier car to drive quick and really for the more unhinged driver when pushing it. It is the one car you have to be pretty careful about mechanically. You really need to past owner to know exactly what they're talking about and doing to know that the car has been in good hands. It's usually a good sign if the previous owner uses premix or is at least aware of it. Another dead giveaway of good ownership is if the tires are quality or no name junk. It's definitely cheaper than the FRS so it'll save you a buck initially. A lot of engine reliability problems are overblown on the internet but really, you just need to consider how much driving you actually do and how much risk you're at in the next 5-10 years of something going very wrong. I assume that you probably won't be driving too much since you've made it this far already without a car, so unless you have a fat commute you won't be putting that many miles on, the RX-8 could be a decent pick.
the best keyboard is the one in front of you

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #3053 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 19:53:47 »

I reckon used BRZ/86 and 370 Z's will drop in price significantly next year when their replacements roll out, which is why now is the perfect time. Good prices, and pick of the crop from people looking to replace their current gen models.

Looks like the price will be your deciding factor. there's a bunch of 370 z's just sitting in the lot of my local dealership they will definitely be offloading those in time for the new z.