Author Topic: How do you flash a hex onto pro mini (not micro)  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
Re: How do you flash a hex onto pro mini (not micro)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:14:56 »
Couldn't you just use the offboard usb to flash it?? it should work the same way as normal but your usb isnt directly on the board.

Offline HalfCent

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 19:40:37 »
Those are based on the Atmega 328, not the 32U4 like the pro micro is. They don't have hardware USB on the microchip, and would take extra work to function as a keyboard controller. Most existing firmwares are based around the Atmel 32UX series chips.

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:20:29 »
Those are based on the Atmega 328, not the 32U4 like the pro micro is. They don't have hardware USB on the microchip, and would take extra work to function as a keyboard controller. Most existing firmwares are based around the Atmel 32UX series chips.
In the ebay description it says support for offboard usb, so it must have some support, right??

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:39:26 »
Wow, sounds like a headache to me. Why try and reinvent the wheel to save $10? The Teensy 2.0 works great, has a choice of available firmwares, and is super easy to flash.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JonPB

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:43:40 »
Looks like it is meant to be programmed by another board. See, e.g., http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard.

Probably meant to be used in situations where the microcontroller isn't meant to be reprogrammed often or by the end user, but where saving a few bucks on components can make the difference between a competitive process and cost overruns.

Cheers,
Jon

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 20:46:59 »
Wow, sounds like a headache to me. Why try and reinvent the wheel to save $10? The Teensy 2.0 works great, has a choice of available firmwares, and is super easy to flash.

I feel really bad when I use a $20 teensy to do simplier tasks than it can do

Offline HalfCent

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 21:10:46 »
In the ebay description it says support for offboard usb, so it must have some support, right??

It has an FTDI chip, which is a USB to Serial converter. You can't act as an HID device with these, only as a serial port. These are functionally equivalent to an Arduino Uno. You can program the chip over usb, but you won't be able to use it as a keyboard.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 21:29:09 »

It's only $3-$5 less than the pro micro. Just get that and save money it has the 32u4 that everything runs on.

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 22:27:38 »

same problem here, ive made a mech for like 10-15$ for everything but caps and controller and i feel stupid spending 20$ on a teensy for it

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 04:51:56 »
They seems to be Ardunino compatible I think you can program with serial connection using 'Arduino IDE' or 'avrdude'.

If you want to program with USB you need to add some components(USB connector, two esistors  and two zenar diodes) for 'V-USB'(full software implemented USB stack) and program bootloader like 'usbasploader' with 'AVRISPMKII'(just one time). After you added those hardware and bootloader you can program your controller with USB using 'avrdude' just like Teensy.

I used ATMega328p with V-USB and usbasp, it was great.

Offline HalfCent

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:52:10 »

Did you have any performance issues using this as a keyboard controller? How many endpoints did you use? Did youo have any function layer mapping? I've used V-USB in non-keyboard related projects, and the performance impact on the main code was a problem in some of the projects, but fine in others.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:15:01 »
http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html

There's a V-USB bootloader as well, you will need an AVR ISP to get it into the chip tho.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 18:35:27 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 19:27:27 »

Did you have any performance issues using this as a keyboard controller? How many endpoints did you use? Did youo have any function layer mapping? I've used V-USB in non-keyboard related projects, and the performance impact on the main code was a problem in some of the projects, but fine in others.

As a keyboard controller it was no problem to scan switch matrix, while I couldn't implement my PS/2-USB protocol converter with V-USB. IIRC, V-USB blocks about 50us intermittently this will cause some time critical applicaiton, but skilled people can circumvent this in most cases. Actually blargg could make his ADB-USB converter with V-USB surprisingly, though I had thought it was impossible.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.msg1109173#msg1109173

I used two IN endpoints with my keyboard project(HHKB alt controller) one has a IN endpoint for keyboard interface and other has a IN endpoint for mouse and consumer keys.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12047.0
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/protocol/vusb/vusb.c

As a controller of my main keyboard V-USB didn't have any problem and it had worked like a charm for a few years.

Offline HalfCent

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 13:51:04 »
Thanks for the info! I think I'll look into developing my controller based on the 328 again.