Author Topic: Need a new mouse and mat  (Read 3623 times)

Offline hudson0804

Need a new mouse and mat
« on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:01:47 »
Hi GH'ers

Well the ducky is here (woot) not allowed to use it until my birthday in April.. (BOOOOOO) however I have also decided to treat myself to a new mouse.

I have my sights set on a Razer Deathadder 2013 and a new mouse mat. my old fellows office supplies mat has seen its time and then some.

I need (would like) a mat that comes with a wrist rest and perhaps something that will get the best out of my new mouse - is that even the right new mouse to get I don't know!!

I think i'm trying say help I need a new mouse and I don't know what I should get.

I have rather large hands play Warcraft and a lot of FPS games.

Thoughts ideas welcome.

TIA
H

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Need a new mouse and mat
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:24:35 »
There are several threads here about mice where you can read about various models. There's mine(link in sig) which is mostly my impressions and subjective opinions on various mice and pads, and there's Grim Fandango's thread which has far more info and is probably more useful.

The only pad I can think of that has a wrist rest(other than generic office ones) is a Razer pad, Vespula I think?

Although if you play WoW you might want to consider something with a few more buttons, I've found mouse buttons to be a great bonus when playing MMOs.
What kinds of FPS games you play and how serious you are about playing them would also be helpful in determining how important choice of sensor should be.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 07:54:01 »
That's probably my underlying issue.

I don't actually know what I want or need. 

I'm happy with 5 buttons now - I keybind in wow so mouse buttons would take some re-training.  FPS wise COD BF4 - I'm very competitive but sadly not very good.

I am certain that my preference is a heavier mouse (think I have 30 grams in my G5 atm).

I'd like accuracy, and also on the fly DPI (not essential) but one thing it has to do is match my keyboard colour - So blue or Green led is good. (a bit of a picky option I know).
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 08:33:10 by hudson0804 »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 10:24:48 »
The DA2013 is neither heavy nor does it have proper on-the-fly DPI change, although it does have a decent sensor.

Heavy mice are usually the more expensive and feature-laden ones, although the G602 might be a good fit. The batteries last quite a while, at least compared to the G700s, it's got a fair number of buttons, but not too many, and it's fairly heavy due to 2xAA batteries.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 10:35:56 »
You've reminded me to add.  Not a fan of wireless mice.

Simply down to be not wanting to constantly (read that as once is too many times) change batteries.

I guess its something I could get used to.

I've read your article and will set about the lengthy one you recommended by Grim.

Some interesting food for though.  I was surprised by the g600 it looks ungainly and the idea that the software profiles are easy to setup. - however not sure how it would fly in an FPS type game. Would I find it clumsy... unsure.

I've no real experience with gaming mice - I tried a razor MMO mouse once felt too light for me but was rather snappy response wise, would probably take some getting used to compared to my G5.

I've seen CM make a range of mice that there's no particular fuss about.

I'll read more and likely come back for more advice.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:17:44 »
You've reminded me to add.  Not a fan of wireless mice.

Simply down to be not wanting to constantly (read that as once is too many times) change batteries.

I guess its something I could get used to.

I've read your article and will set about the lengthy one you recommended by Grim.

Some interesting food for though.  I was surprised by the g600 it looks ungainly and the idea that the software profiles are easy to setup. - however not sure how it would fly in an FPS type game. Would I find it clumsy... unsure.

I've no real experience with gaming mice - I tried a razor MMO mouse once felt too light for me but was rather snappy response wise, would probably take some getting used to compared to my G5.

I've seen CM make a range of mice that there's no particular fuss about.

I'll read more and likely come back for more advice.

As somebody who's own plenty of gaming mice, many Razer, Logitech, and Microsoft Mice

My current mouse that I'm using is the Logitech G600 & G602.

Both are on different rigs.

As far as the battery swapping, as long as you use rechargeables like Sanyo Eneloops and use a mouse like the G602 that doesn't eat batteries for breakfast like the G700, it's really a pretty trivial issue.

As far as gaming mice, I highly suggest that you stay away from Razer, they may be good for 1 year, 2 years maybe; however each Razer mice I've owned developed issues that made it unuseable or very annoying after time.

Some people have better experiences, but I've gone through each mouse, and some issue came up with each mice.

The Logitech's that I've own never had any real issues other than the earlier models, Pre G600/G602 lacked newer / cooler features, that's usually why I upgraded.

My old Logitech's still work generally, so it's not a matter of durability.

As far as Microsoft mice, they usually are reasonably durable, but they also seem to lack alot of features that I want or are just badly designed for some of their gaming lines.

There's a reason why the classic Intellimouse Explorer was so popular.

As far as binding keys / macros to the mouse, it's just a matter of practice and getting used to it, even for non gaming use.

Let's take the G600 and it's 12 cluster of buttons.
Row 1: I've mapped forward / backwards / Prev App (Alt Tab to a previous application / Alt Tab
Row 2: I've mapped Undo / Redo / Prev Tab / Next Tab
Row 3: I've mapped cut / copy / paste / Double Click

Then it's just a matter of getting used to doing things with either the mouse or keyboard.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:47:20 »
I guess the main reason why i chose a razor was simply because i'd heard of them, i haven't liked the look of any of the Logitech mice recently, but the g700s did originality take my fancy for a venture into wireless mice. 

There are other brands i see on websites but honestly haven't heard of them or read of bad reviews.

Corsair, CM, Madcatz, Mionix

I guess that's the underlying problem, not all mice are to everyone's taste.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:14:16 »
Your preferences seem to be the exact opposite of mine (i.e. lightweight fingertip-grip devices and I'm extremely picky about software), but I recommend to look into brands such as Roccat, CM Storm and Zowie anyway. In particular, I like Roccat Savu, CM Storm Xornet and Zowie MiCO thanks to their build quality, great software (aka none required) and no-BS specs.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:24:20 »
If you're an elitist/purist get an optical sensor.
Anyways if you have large hands you're pretty much stuck with these:
Rival, DA 2013, EC EVO, Naos 7000.

As for a mousepad you need to decide if you want something hard or soft.
Also don't bother with a wrist wrist, just buy it separately. You want a quality pad, not an advertising combo full of failed products.
I only know of two "gaming" mousepads that come with a gel wrist rest. The Razer Vespula and Roccat Alumic.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:29:09 by the1onewolf »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:51:12 »
What? There are plenty of mice in that size range.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:51:14 »
G500(s) and Func MS-3 are quite big as well, if sensor doesn't matter.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:43:57 »

Nonetheless, the amount of devices in the larger size ranged in the current market is still considerably dwarfed by smaller mice.
You have far greater variety and selection when you're looking for a mouse under 128-133 mm lengthwise.

Anyways, I also meant to say you're stuck with these if you have large hands and want an optical sensor.
I forgot to include the G400s and probably some other device.
Roccat's also coming out with a new xtd optical.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:47:55 »
I'd recommend my set up. Roccat kone pure & Perrixx DX 2000. It works really nicely for me.
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 15:59:00 »

Nonetheless, the amount of devices in the larger size ranged in the current market is still considerably dwarfed by smaller mice.
You have far greater variety and selection when you're looking for a mouse under 128-133 mm lengthwise.

Anyways, I also meant to say you're stuck with these if you have large hands and want an optical sensor.
I forgot to include the G400s and probably some other device.
Roccat's also coming out with a new xtd optical.

Considering the games he's playing, optical isn't really necessary.

Offline hudson0804

usb
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:31:51 »
Hi Folks,

Appreciate the time you're taking to discuss.

Costing isnt really an issue (so optical or laser - if thats what the previous comment was aimed at) i more interested in the right mouse, the right feel.  As mentioned my G5 feels right to me. I consider myself a claw grip mouse user.

Just looking through the roccat collection, i'm particularly liking the Savu, also the steelseries Rival.

I've just noted the roccat mat with rest Alumic - any experiences comments?

Thanks again

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:48:44 »
Hi Folks,

Appreciate the time you're taking to discuss.

Costing isnt really an issue (so optical or laser - if thats what the previous comment was aimed at) i more interested in the right mouse, the right feel.  As mentioned my G5 feels right to me. I consider myself a claw grip mouse user.

Just looking through the roccat collection, i'm particularly liking the Savu, also the steelseries Rival.

I've just noted the roccat mat with rest Alumic - any experiences comments?

Thanks again

The optical-laser thing is about sensors and their accuracy. In the current market, optical is generally more accurate than laser, but the amount is very small and insignificant for most modern games, so unless you're willing to sacrifice features for precision, it's not really worth fussing over. I'd suggest looking for a mouse with the features you want and not giving the sensor much thought.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 16:59:50 »
You may (or may not) find my review of Roccat Savu helpful. There are links and a video inside!

Offline dmbr

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 17:35:57 »
I cannot recommend the Logitech pads enough. I have tried nearly every quality gaming pad on Amazon and they stand head and shoulders above them all. Their glides are immaculately balanced, they are highly durable/resistant to wear, and all my mice track exceptionally well on them. Cloth is for optical and plastic is for laser.

The only other pad I'd consider is the Func 1030 XL, if you prefer an entirely hard surface.

If you're a very low sensitivity user and 14" isn't enough, I'd recommend the Corsair M200; it has a similar glide to the cloth Logitech G240 (not quite as good, but close). If you want a hard pad, the Qpad Heaton is your best over-sized option.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 02:13:08 »
If you like the G5 just get a Logitech mouse with similar dimensions and Logitech mouse pad. Problem solved.

If it works for you don't mess with your natural comfort over a new mouse
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 02:22:21 by the1onewolf »

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 02:22:45 »
If you like the G5 just get a Logitech mouse with similar dimensions and Logitech mouse pad. Problem solved.

It's not worth messing with your natural comfort over a new mouse

This is what common sense would dictate however, variety is the spice of life, i'd like to open myself up to trying a new mouse.

:)

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:50:13 »
Well i just found the Mionix Naos 8200 on sale so for 30 pounds figure its worth a punt.

Will feedback what i think.

As this is a laser mouse should i just just a hard mat/surface rather than cloth?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:52:39 »
Well i just found the Mionix Naos 8200 on sale so for 30 pounds figure its worth a punt.

Will feedback what i think.

As this is a laser mouse should i just just a hard mat/surface rather than cloth?

Yeah, hard is probably safer. My Naos 5000 won't even work properly on cloth, it jitters like a mofo.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:54:37 »
As i have purchased this on impulse... also seen some of the guys band the name around.

Whats their software like?

I assume on the fly dpi changing as standard but the profiles etc. are they application aware or should i just get used to manual switching?>

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 15:17:03 »
As i have purchased this on impulse... also seen some of the guys band the name around.

I assume on the fly dpi changing as standard but the profiles etc. are they application aware or should i just get used to manual switching?>
Manual switching from what I remember, not all that many softwares let you assign applications to profiles. I prefer Logitech's software for this, as that also detects when you close the application and reverts to the default profile.

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 09:03:26 »

Manual switching from what I remember, not all that many softwares let you assign applications to profiles. I prefer Logitech's software for this, as that also detects when you close the application and reverts to the default profile.

I had massive issues with the Logitech software..  for some strange reason it would lower the dpi of the mouse and slow it down making it unusable - I suspect its a hardware fault on the mouse.

However, this is all rather moot as my Naos 8500 has arrived - i'll see how I fair.

On the line of laser sensor mouse is it defiant that I should use a hard pad or can I get a soft mat to work with it?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 09:12:51 »

I had massive issues with the Logitech software..  for some strange reason it would lower the dpi of the mouse and slow it down making it unusable - I suspect its a hardware fault on the mouse.

However, this is all rather moot as my Naos 8500 has arrived - i'll see how I fair.

On the line of laser sensor mouse is it defiant that I should use a hard pad or can I get a soft mat to work with it?

Soft pads should work just fine, although I'm not quite sure in this case since my Naos 5k is one of only two laser mice I've tried that don't track well on cloth, the other being the old MS/Razer Habu.
Generally; laser sensors will track on most surfaces, but in this case I'd go for hard or wait until someone who's tried the Naos 8500 on a cloth pad chimes in.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:34:47 »
G500 very good.