Author Topic: Mouse for large hands [21cm, not a gamer]  (Read 5534 times)

Offline pepijndevos

Mouse for large hands [21cm, not a gamer]
« on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 08:10:29 »
There is some information from gamers about what's a good mouse, but for gamers there is a lot of focus on precision and response time, which are less critical to programmers like me. Precision and response time aside there seem to be 4 criteria.

• Cord/cordless: Corded. Hate RF and batteries.
  • Left/right-handed or ambidexterous: Ambidexterous. I alternate hands.
  • Palm/claw/finger grip: Palm grip. It seems the most comfortable.
  • Number of buttons. Don't care.
To that I'd like to add 2 more criteria.

• Size: Big. My hands are 21cm. On a 13cm mouse my fingers touch the table if I attempt a palm grip. Currently using finger grip.
  • Drivers: Mac and Linux. Would be nice if I could actually configure and use all the buttons.

Any suggestions?

I'm also open to being convince about stylus, trackball or other input methods.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 March 2014, 08:12:35 by pepijndevos »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Mouse for large hands [21cm, not a gamer]
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 08:24:35 »
I'd recommend a trackball, there are very few mice that are comfortable for large hands, especially palm grip mice. You'd think there would be more larger palm mice, but no.

As for regular mice:
The RAT7 can be adjusted, although I'm not sure if it can be made all that large, but it's worth considering at least. The Razer Lachesis is also a mouse that I've heard good things about from people with large hands, but that's EOL so you'll have to find a used one somewhere. It's not palm grip though.
The Func MS-3 is fairly large and suited for palm grip, but again it's not all that much bigger than most other mice.

I really would recommend a trackball, something like the CST LTrac(currently on Massdrop for $99, 2 days left) or Kensington Slimblade.

I'm also a fan of tablets, and can also recommend a small one if you've got the space for it on your desk, but it does take up more space compared to a trackball, so unless you'd like to be able to draw or write handwritten notes on your PC I'd still recommend a trackball over a tablet.

Offline pepijndevos

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 08:57:38 »
I should have mentioned I actually own a Wacom. I used it when I did webdesign, but typing with the stylus in hand, or putting it down is not worth it for less visual tasks.

While looking at the mice you mentioned, my attention was drawn to this video, where a guy with large hands mentions he still claws it, but could do palm grip if he really wanted.

None of them is ambidexterous though. And that Func one is especially weird considering I use my ring finger on the second mouse button.

Why do you recommend the slimblade over the expert?

While not ambidexterous, what do you think about the thumb-controlled ones?
It appears that with the centered ones your hands are raised/tilted a lot, which looks uncomfortable.

How hard would it be to do an ergodox-style DIY mouse with 3D printed enclosure suited for your hands?

Offline pepijndevos

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 10:32:50 »
Hmmm, I'm half-seriously looking into making my own mouse. Though I'll probably end up buying a trackball it seems.

I could use the Teensy USB board that the ergodox also uses.

Hooking up the buttons to the Teensy is trivial.
Not sure which buttons to get though.
Cherry MX would probably suck for a mouse.

The Teensy includes a mouse API.
I found some code that handles the optical sensor.
So the firmware is as good as done.
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_mouse.html
http://www.martijnthe.nl/2009/07/interfacing-an-optical-mouse-sensor-to-your-arduino/

Printing the case can't be that hard, but I have no experience with this.
Alternatively, a milled wooden case would be superb.

I could start with breadboard and through-hole components. Worry about the PCB later,

That leaves the optical sensor. Again, no idea what to get.
I found the PAW3205DB-TJ3T which does 1600cpi.

The most tricky part is probably getting the LED right. It seems to require some transparent parts which would be impossible to print.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 11:23:52 »
I should have mentioned I actually own a Wacom. I used it when I did webdesign, but typing with the stylus in hand, or putting it down is not worth it for less visual tasks.

While looking at the mice you mentioned, my attention was drawn to this video, where a guy with large hands mentions he still claws it, but could do palm grip if he really wanted.

None of them is ambidexterous though. And that Func one is especially weird considering I use my ring finger on the second mouse button.

Why do you recommend the slimblade over the expert?

While not ambidexterous, what do you think about the thumb-controlled ones?
It appears that with the centered ones your hands are raised/tilted a lot, which looks uncomfortable.

How hard would it be to do an ergodox-style DIY mouse with 3D printed enclosure suited for your hands?

Well, the slimblade looks nice and has a low profile(so you don't have to tilt your hand that much), which is pretty comfy, if you're getting a bigger and uglier trackball you might as well get the CST since that's probably one of the best trackballs on the market, technically speaking. Of course, the Expert is probably cheaper(I don't know the prices off the top of my head), and it's not bad, so it's certainly an option.

As for thumb controlled ones; I don't have any experience with them so I can't really comment on them.

If you want to look into making your own mouse I suggest you talk to damorgue here on the forums, he's working on making his own.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:36:14 »
i don't expect everybody to agree, but i have large hands and the below mouse fits mine pretty good :thumb:

http://www.ttesports.com/productPage.aspx?p=51&g=ftr#.Uxtwm9y-1cY
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:42:02 »
Based on your criteria it sounds like maybe either Razer Taipan or SteelSeries Sensei or Mionix Avior.  Though if you want palm grip those mice might be a little bit short in height.  But length wise those are definitely good for bigger hands.

Strictly speaking there isn't too many ambidextrous palm grip mouse.  Typically company advertise ambidextrous mouse for fingertip grip and right handed ergonomic mouse for palm grip.

So you always have to pick and choose.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 13:52:52 »
Drivers: Mac and Linux. Would be nice if I could actually configure and use all the buttons.

Roccat Linux driver project, you won't find anything better or that comes even close.

However, there doesn't appear to be any roccat mouse that would fit your grip without compromises.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 14:38:45 »
Ambidextrous mouse devices tend to be on the smaller side so you probably won't find one there.

Lengthwise you'd have to go for a right handed mouse. Something like the rival or Logitech which are longer devices.

I'd recommend a trackball, there are very few mice that are comfortable for large hands, especially palm grip mice. You'd think there would be more larger palm mice, but no

Lol vun, I remember I said that large users were pretty much stuck with a few choices and you said something akin to "what there were plenty of mouse in that (large) size range"

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 19:06:37 »
Ambidextrous mouse devices tend to be on the smaller side so you probably won't find one there.

Lengthwise you'd have to go for a right handed mouse. Something like the rival or Logitech which are longer devices.

I'd recommend a trackball, there are very few mice that are comfortable for large hands, especially palm grip mice. You'd think there would be more larger palm mice, but no

Lol vun, I remember I said that large users were pretty much stuck with a few choices and you said something akin to "what there were plenty of mouse in that (large) size range"

No, what I said was that there are plenty of mice of a similar size to the DA, IME 3.0 etc. That doesn't mean they're large mice, just some of the largest available. I'd love a bigger right-handed mouse, something like the shell damorgue is working on would be great.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 09:20:44 »
I use a mx510. Sturdy mouse and no driver installation required(And I have big hands).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline noway

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 19:30:53 »
Same size hands.  I use Microsoft Trackball Optical.  No longer made, I bought up a few spares for lifetime use (not for sale) when I discovered how comfortable they are.  You can find used ones on E-Bay.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 03:03:47 »
Same size hands.  I use Microsoft Trackball Optical.  No longer made, I bought up a few spares for lifetime use (not for sale) when I discovered how comfortable they are.  You can find used ones on E-Bay.

HM, maybe I should try a trackball.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0