Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 928841 times)

Offline puissance

Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #2100 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 00:59:17 »
Hello everyone,  I just got myself a red scarf III 96. Is there anyway to get this supported on Easy AVR?  I would really like to get macros onto my board and I've been steuggling trying to understand TMK - so I'm hoping I could use Easy AVR instead. 

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2101 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 08:00:05 »
Hello everyone,  I just got myself a red scarf III 96. Is there anyway to get this supported on Easy AVR?  I would really like to get macros onto my board and I've been steuggling trying to understand TMK - so I'm hoping I could use Easy AVR instead.

The most important thing is that it uses one of the supported AVR microcontrollers with DFU.  If TMK has support that's a good sign.

Edit: yeah, here is the code: https://github.com/kairyu/tmk_keyboard_custom/tree/master/keyboard/RedScarfIII
However it would take some effort to write up the config file for EasyAVR.  Also, the RGB support would require hacking the firmware (C code)
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 March 2017, 09:14:33 by metalliqaz »

Offline puissance

« Reply #2102 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:37:27 »
Thanks for the response

Are there any guides on how to make the config file and is that something the average person with no programming experience can do?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2103 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 17:32:20 »
Thanks for the response

Are there any guides on how to make the config file and is that something the average person with no programming experience can do?

There is a guide of sorts

It can be a lot of work to support a new board, but it's all right there in plain text.  You have to know a lot about the board you are supporting.

I can help with this process, but it takes close coordination because I don't own this hardware to test with.  It usually requires that you load a series of test builds over the course of a few days.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #2104 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:57:02 »
Any luck on the viper v2 board? I'm willing to test out stuff :D I think the hardware should be the same as the old viper (atmega32u4).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2105 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 18:50:46 »
Any luck on the viper v2 board? I'm willing to test out stuff :D I think the hardware should be the same as the old viper (atmega32u4).

If I ever worked on Viper 2 back in the day, I've since forgotten about it.  I you find other code that supports it, such as TMK, I can usually help you get a port going.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #2106 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 22:46:28 »
I've been trying to get Easy AVR working for my minivan but to no avail. Personally I don't care for the online config tool and I love easy avr. has anyone got a .PY they'd be willing to share. I would be interested to see how it differs from mine. Thanks.

edit- Ive figured it out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 23:43:40 by holtenc »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2107 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 06:03:37 »
What's a minivan?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2108 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 06:17:19 »
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Helspong

« Reply #2109 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:44:45 »
I'm in the process of learning EasyAVR since I've ordered a gh60 satan and som stuff to build my first diy-keyboard.
Most of the basic stuff is easy to figure out, but I am having some trouble understanding other things. So I thought I'd just drop by here and ask my questions to see if I can get some help.
These are some of the questions that have popped up in my mind when looking at the program for the first time:

Is the "App" button the same as the physical FN key? If I understand things correct the SCANCODE_FN is the first layer rather than the FN key. I am now pretty sure that the first layer is the same thing as holding down the FN key. :)

How do I use SpaceFN? Do I set the key to FN then Tap key HID_KEYBOARD_SC_SPACE ?

How do I bind Macro 1 to let's say L_Shift+L_Ctrl+X or something like that. Binding one key to multiple key presses.

Can i bind a key to an ASCII-code?

What does the checkboxes "With mods" mean?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 05:59:45 by Helspong »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2110 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 06:20:14 »
What's a minivan?
This is a minivan.
Nice. Well, if you have it working, post the file or send a pull request on github so it can be added to the distribution. :)

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2111 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 06:52:45 »
I'm in the process of learning EasyAVR since I've ordered a gh60 satan and som stuff to build my first diy-keyboard.
Most of the basic stuff is easy to figure out, but I am having some trouble understanding other things. So I thought I'd just drop by here and ask my questions to see if I can get some help.
These are some of the questions that have popped up in my mind when looking at the program for the first time:

Is the "App" button the same as the physical FN key? If I understand things correct the SCANCODE_FN is the first layer rather than the FN key. I am now pretty sure that the first layer is the same thing as holding down the FN key. :)

How do I use SpaceFN? Do I set the key to FN then Tap key HID_KEYBOARD_SC_SPACE ?

Yes, that's it.

How do I bind Macro 1 to let's say L_Shift+L_Ctrl+X or something like that. Binding one key to multiple key presses.

You can't do that.  Remember to separate what the keyboard does and what your computer does.  Ctrl+Shift+X is interpreted by your computer.  Some programs may have that combination bound to some action, others may not, but it's valid combination that your computer will notice.  If you want to bind something other than X to your X key, then you should use a Fn key and put it on the corresponding layer.

Can i bind a key to an ASCII-code?

Yes, put the code into a macro and bind the macro key.

What does the checkboxes "With mods" mean?

Thanks in advance.

It means that you can tell the keyboard to virtually hold down a modifier when you press the key.

Offline Helspong

« Reply #2112 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 10:45:55 »
Thank you very much for answering my questions metalliqaz, much appreciated.

This may be far fetched, but is there any way of testing the layout within the software? It would be nice to be able to use it as a "virtual keyboard" to make sure everything works as intended before you program the firmware to your keyboard (or as in my case where I have not yet received the pcb).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2113 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 11:31:27 »

This may be far fetched, but is there any way of testing the layout within the software? It would be nice to be able to use it as a "virtual keyboard" to make sure everything works as intended before you program the firmware to your keyboard (or as in my case where I have not yet received the pcb).
That is outside the scope of the project.  While technically possible, it won't be implemented  because it would take far too much effort to implement

Offline Helspong

« Reply #2114 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 00:57:11 »

That is outside the scope of the project.  While technically possible, it won't be implemented  because it would take far too much effort to implement

Ok, I understand.

Is it possible to set the default led brightness to 0/disable (instead of just from 1/lowest to 16/highest brightness)? I got my keyboard connected to my monitor and each time i turn the monitor on the leds turns on, but I want to have them turned off all the time. I just installed them to get some more soldering experience.

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2115 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 05:03:03 »
Easyavr, boot can not enter the password, can not press "Del" into bios, what is the solution?

Offline orpheo

« Reply #2116 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 05:15:35 »
May I request support for Satan gh60 and Amj Pad please?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2117 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 08:13:02 »
Easyavr, boot can not enter the password, can not press "Del" into bios, what is the solution?

If you have N-key rollover enabled, try turning it off. A lot of computers don't like N-key rollover at boot.
REΛLFORCE

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2118 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 09:25:42 »

If you have N-key rollover enabled, try turning it off. A lot of computers don't like N-key rollover at boot.
N-key ,how to turn off?  please

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2119 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 09:27:02 »

Ok, I understand.

Is it possible to set the default led brightness to 0/disable (instead of just from 1/lowest to 16/highest brightness)? I got my keyboard connected to my monitor and each time i turn the monitor on the leds turns on, but I want to have them turned off all the time. I just installed them to get some more soldering experience.

You can set the default backlight enable to disable backlights.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2120 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 09:27:30 »

This is a known bug.  I have been meaning to fix this for a long time.  To work around it, disable NKRO.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2121 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 09:28:51 »
May I request support for Satan gh60 and Amj Pad please?

Don't we already support the Satan?

Anyway, I don't have either of those boards, so I would require someone to contribute support for it.  It's really pretty easy as long as you know what the hardware is. 

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2122 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 09:29:24 »

Use the config console.  There are help files included with EasyAVR that explain how to use it.

Offline Helspong

« Reply #2123 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 12:49:28 »

Ok, I understand.

You can set the default backlight enable to disable backlights.

That's what I've tried to do. I've checked the config console and I found both "default dimmer level" and "set default backlight enable". But I dont find the option to disable it. I can only enter values between 1 and 16 on both settings.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2124 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 13:05:25 »
that's right. you need to find the enable value for "all off"

Offline blacka66

« Reply #2125 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 20:05:16 »

Use the config console.  There are help files included with EasyAVR that explain how to use it.

Turn off N-Key is OK,thanks.

There is a problem, vol +, vol-, mute are invalid in windows xp? What is the problem?

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2126 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 16:11:28 »
So I seem to have messed up my SixKeyBoard using this =/ I was just trying to get the LEDs enabled, but now it's unresponsive after attempting to flash it. Every time I try to flash my layout it says "Address out of range". So I'm guessing the hex file it created is too large? How do I fix this?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2127 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 17:35:18 »

Turn off N-Key is OK,thanks.

There is a problem, vol +, vol-, mute are invalid in windows xp? What is the problem?

EasyAVR implements a media spec that was introduced in Windows 7.  That's probably why it doesn't work.  I don't have a Windows XP PC to test it on that platform.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2128 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 17:46:11 »
So I seem to have messed up my SixKeyBoard using this =/ I was just trying to get the LEDs enabled, but now it's unresponsive after attempting to flash it. Every time I try to flash my layout it says "Address out of range". So I'm guessing the hex file it created is too large? How do I fix this?

hmmm. i will need to look into this.  the 6key has never been tested.  im glad you are giving it a whirl.  have successfully programmed any easyavr firmware to it?

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2129 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 17:53:38 »

hmmm. i will need to look into this.  the 6key has never been tested.  im glad you are giving it a whirl.  have successfully programmed any easyavr firmware to it?

No, it failed on the first try & erased the default firmware in the process. It just shows up as an ATmega16u2 DFU now. Here is a readout of what I get when trying to program it using flip:
Code: [Select]
Running task "Upload to USB AVR with Flip"

The keyboard should be in bootloader mode prior to programming.
If the bootloader has not been activated then the programmer will
not be able to connect and the process will fail.  Activate the
bootloader by using the BOOT key (if it is programmed) or use the
reset switch on your microcontroller.  If the process fails, make
sure the keyboard is in bootloader mode and then try again.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin\batchisp.exe -device atmega16u2 -hardware USB -operation onfail abort loadbuffer D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\sixkeyboard_led.hex memory FLASH erase F blankcheck program verify start reset 0
Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Sun Apr 23 18:51:46 2017

ATMEGA16U2 - USB - USB/DFU

Device selection....................... PASS
Hardware selection..................... PASS
Opening port........................... PASS
Reading Bootloader version............. PASS 1.0.0
Parsing HEX file....................... FAIL Address is out of range.
ISP done.

Edit: and with dfu-programmer:
Running task "Upload to USB AVR with dfu-programmer"

D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\exttools/dfu-programmer.exe atmega16u2 erase
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x2FFF...  Not blank at 0x1.
Erasing flash...  Success
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x2FFF...  Empty.
D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\exttools/dfu-programmer.exe atmega16u2 flash D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\sixkeyboard_led.hex
Bootloader and code overlap.
Use --suppress-bootloader-mem to ignore
D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\exttools/dfu-programmer.exe atmega16u2 reset
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 17:56:33 by saab__gobbler »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2130 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 18:30:11 »

No, it failed on the first try & erased the default firmware in the process. It just shows up as an ATmega16u2 DFU now. Here is a readout of what I get when trying to program it using flip:
Running task "Upload to USB AVR with Flip"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\bin\batchisp.exe -device atmega16u2 -hardware USB -operation onfail abort loadbuffer D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\sixkeyboard_led.hex memory FLASH erase F blankcheck program verify start reset 0
Running batchisp 1.2.5 on Sun Apr 23 18:51:46 2017

ATMEGA16U2 - USB - USB/DFU

Device selection....................... PASS
Hardware selection..................... PASS
Opening port........................... PASS
Reading Bootloader version............. PASS 1.0.0
Parsing HEX file....................... FAIL Address is out of range.
ISP done.

Edit: and with dfu-programmer:
Running task "Upload to USB AVR with dfu-programmer"

D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\exttools/dfu-programmer.exe atmega16u2 erase
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x2FFF...  Not blank at 0x1.
Erasing flash...  Success
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x2FFF...  Empty.
D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\exttools/dfu-programmer.exe atmega16u2 flash D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\sixkeyboard_led.hex
Bootloader and code overlap.
Use --suppress-bootloader-mem to ignore
D:\Downloads\Compressed\easykeymap_windows_2_05_04\exttools/dfu-programmer.exe atmega16u2 reset

Okay thanks.  I'll get this fixed right up and you'll be up and running no problem.  It appears I allowed the build to become too large.  I need to put a new check into the build process.  I'll report back soon.

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2131 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 18:48:30 »
Okay thanks.  I'll get this fixed right up and you'll be up and running no problem.  It appears I allowed the build to become too large.  I need to put a new check into the build process.  I'll report back soon.

Awesome! Thanks so much! =]

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2132 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:09:44 »

Awesome! Thanks so much! =]

Okay, I've confirmed.  The ATmega16U2 build is too big by 78 bytes.  I'll find something unnecessary to trim.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2133 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:42:35 »
Okay there is a new release 2.5.5.  That should work.

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2134 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:46:07 »
Okay there is a new release 2.5.5.  That should work.

Wow! That was absurdly fast, thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes =]

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2135 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:54:52 »
ok so flashing succeeds now, the rear LED lights up & it is recognized as an easyavr keyboard, but none of the switches are working & neither are the switch LEDs =/

edit: I'm a dipsh*t, i soldered the LEDs in backwards, switches still aren't assigning though
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:58:09 by saab__gobbler »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2136 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 20:17:41 »
ok so flashing succeeds now, the rear LED lights up & it is recognized as an easyavr keyboard, but none of the switches are working & neither are the switch LEDs =/

edit: I'm a dipsh*t, i soldered the LEDs in backwards, switches still aren't assigning though

Alright, are you sure your swich LEDs are soldered in correctly?

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2137 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 20:38:55 »

Yah the LEDs were backwards, turning them around worked. Switches are in fine, just not being assigned.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2138 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 21:48:59 »

Yah the LEDs were backwards, turning them around worked. Switches are in fine, just not being assigned.

Yeah I think the config file is wrong.  Are you using the windows binary or are you running from source?

Offline Helspong

« Reply #2139 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 00:19:29 »
I am curious to why I cannot get this macro working:
Med v\ALT(132)nlig  h\ALT(132)lsning,

It is supposed to output: Med vänlig hälsning, (Best regards, in Swedish)

Instead this is the output:

It seems the first ascii-code comes out right, but the second doesnt.

Edit: I solved it by entering ' instead of the ascii code, which is where ä is located on a keyboard with a swedish layouy. But it would still be nice to know why the ascii codes did not work.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 April 2017, 03:48:49 by Helspong »

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2140 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 05:51:11 »

Yeah I think the config file is wrong.  Are you using the windows binary or are you running from source?

Windows binary, but I can install it on my linux machine if the command line output would help you.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2141 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:19:34 »

Show Image

Edit: I solved it by entering ' instead of the ascii code, which is where ä is located on a keyboard with a swedish layouy. But it would still be nice to know why the ascii codes did not work.

I just tried it on my keyboard, and I got the same problem.  I'd really like to know what's going on too.  If I put spaces around the second altcode i get the umlaut.  Not sure why being next to different letters makes it screw up like that.  I'll look into it.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2142 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:49:17 »

Windows binary, but I can install it on my linux machine if the command line output would help you.

I'll give you a test build with a slightly altered config file.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2143 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 07:57:06 »

Show Image

I found the problem.  The AVR is very short on RAM, so the buffer to send autokey data such as macros is only 8 characters.  It turns out that it lifts the modifier keys between filling up the buffer.  Your ALT code fell on the 16th character, which means it was lifting the ALT key between the 1 and the 32.  I will implement a fix.

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2144 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 15:04:33 »

Sounds good! I'll let you know if it works once you post it =]

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2145 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:10:54 »

okay try Release v2.05.06 that was just posted.  See if it makes a difference. thanks.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2146 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:11:48 »

Show Image

The fix is in the new release.  Sorry it took a while; I have a baby, it keeps me busy.

Offline saab__gobbler

« Reply #2147 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:32:45 »

okay try Release v2.05.06 that was just posted.  See if it makes a difference. thanks.

Perfection! =D Thank you SO much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Offline Helspong

« Reply #2148 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 02:49:08 »

Show Image

The fix is in the new release.  Sorry it took a while; I have a baby, it keeps me busy.

Yeah, babies tend to keep you busy. Thanks a bunch for keeping Easy AVR updated, it is much appreciated.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #2149 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 17:20:26 »
Was wondering if there is any chance of this supporting GON's Nerd60 (and the other boards he stocks). He has a tool for custom layouts, but Easy AVR is way nicer, and it would be awesome if all my keyboards were editable with the same application.