Author Topic: Keyboard pixel art things.  (Read 1419907 times)

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Keyboard pixel art things.
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 07:35:11 »
Hey what about Unicomp Spacesaver and Endurapro?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Apal

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 11:03:17 »
Could you make a TypeMatrix 2030?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 11:42:56 »
Guys, guys! What's with all the sub-pixel anti aliasing? This is PIXEL art! Let's keep it RETRO!

Offline Agiel

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 11:56:46 »
Haven't seen this one yet (do want):

Quote from: Apal;375419
New: Old: (Are there more versions?)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2011, 12:43:44 by Agiel »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Agiel

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 12:41:40 »
Quote from: Apal;375419

New: Old: (Are there more versions?)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:00:40 »
Sub pixel anti aliasing is legit, if done manually.

I stand by my work.

woody

« Reply #206 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:04:18 »
Quote from: eyesnine;375554
Sub pixel anti aliasing is legit
And how about if my sub-pixel order is different than yours?

Just a nitpicking thought.

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:33:05 »
Quote from: woody;375557
And how about if my sub-pixel order is different than yours?
Then you need to go buy a new monitor to appreciate my glorious sub pixel details.

I think you'd have a hard time finding a monitor that's not RGB.

The most common scenario in which sub pixel anti aliasing fails is on a monitor turned sideways or upside down.

woody

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:37:03 »
Quote from: eyesnine;375589
Then you need to go buy a new monitor to appreciate my glorious sub pixel details.
It's on my TODO list.

I think you'd have a hard time finding a monitor that's not RGB.
Really? I haven't done much research in this regard.

The most common scenario in which sub pixel anti aliasing fails is on a monitor turned sideways or upside down.
Both cases found with GH members. Pictures present somewhere as proof.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:42:41 »
I actually have an old 19" monitor turned sideways next to my Ultrasharp. If I could afford it, I would have a 30" ultrasharp flanked by 2 24" models turned sideways. But I don't have $2000 to blow on monitors that I don't really need, considering I have the aforementioned 19" and a 21" Stryker surgical monitor flanking my 24" main monitor.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #210 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:47:54 »
Sub pixel anti aliasing won't work on that sideways monitor. True Type doesn't work because of it.

I'm a fan of both sub pixel anti aliasing and True Type, so I keep my monitors the right way up.

I'm sure it's fine for gaming, if that's what it's there for. I don't like how text looks on a sideways monitor, though. I guess I'm new school with the sub pixel shading on fonts.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:48:30 »
Quote from: eyesnine;375600
Sub pixel anti aliasing won't work on that sideways monitor. True Type doesn't work because of it.

You kept repeating "TrueType" but you meant "ClearType" (the name Microsoft gave to its sub-pixel rendering technology), not TrueType -- TrueType is an outline font format!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearType

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueType

Btw you can render fonts using sub-pixel rendering on screen rotated 90 degrees on Linux desktops: instead of just having RGB and BGR choices, you have RGB,BGR,vRGB,vBGR,etc. so that you can make sub-pixel font rendering work with any setup (it's really too bad ClearType --which is very good at subpixel rendering-- apparently doesn't offer that possibility) -- at least for a single screen.  I honestly don't know how it turns out if you have several screen differently rotated.  But several identical screens all rotated in the same way: you can have subpixel rendering working for sure.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:50:53 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 09:54:38 »
Ha! Yes, that's what I meant. ClearType. Oops!

Vertical sub pixel font rendering is a little weird since Latin fonts are naturally horizontal (left to right).

Also, sub pixel graphics detailing isn't translatable by Linux, unless the graphics are provided in a vector format. And, in my experience, sub pixel font rendering on Linux is very poor quality compared to Microsoft. MS might have their flaws, but when it comes to computer fonts they're the best there is.

ClearType offers some tuning possibilities on XP, but it's nowhere near comprehensive. The striping can be set to only RGB or BGR (upside down). The vast majority of monitors are RGB, it has become a standard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2011, 10:03:14 by eyesnine »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 10:09:14 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;376143
(it's really too bad ClearType --which is very good at subpixel rendering-- apparently doesn't offer that possibility).

From the mouth of the involved people

I briefly mentioned in the post that “the ClearType technology…performs reasonably well on…LCD panels with horizontally oriented RGB stripes.” I also note that “the biggest concern with ClearType in these non-optimal cases was the loss of text contrast.”

Ever since the first implementation of ClearType on the Windows CE platform we debated how to handle horizontal stripes. Vertical stripes work well with Latin based text systems because most of the high-frequency components need horizontal precision—exactly what we get with vertical stripes. Changing the ClearType algorithm to sample for horizontal stripes does not give us the same benefit, and artifacts like aliasing are very visible, especially in italic text.

Essentially the tradeoff comes down to higher contrast vs. improved glyph shapes. In the post I mention that we did an informal study to help guide us on this decision and we found that 70% of those that we polled preferred the improvement of glyph shape. That said, we still are actively working on ways to improve the symmetry of our solution.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/06/23/engineering-changes-to-cleartype-in-windows-7.aspx?PageIndex=1
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 10:42:20 »
If you rotate your monitor 90 degrees, just run through the clear type calibration again (choose good looking rendering among some text paragraphs) and if should be fine.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 11:04:36 »
Quote from: eyesnine;376147
Also, sub pixel graphics detailing isn't translatable by Linux, unless the graphics are provided in a vector format.

What do you mean by "subpixel graphics detailing isn't translatable by Linux?

Most fonts (True Type, Type 1, OpenType) are defined by curves (like Bezier curves) and they can be "vectorized" as wanted.  My entire Linux desktop is using subpixel anti-aliasing basically everywhere, so are my OS X desktops.

Then it's not true you need vector graphics to do subpixel rendering: there are downsizing algorithms (working on Windows, Linux and OS X: it's really totally OS independent) that that can work on bitmap image and produce subpixel downsized rendition of the original.  It's not mandatory to have vector graphics to do subpixel rendering.

Several subpixel rendering patents (some decades old) have recently expired and nowadays subpixel rendering on Linux, Windows and OS X are all of very good quality.  The subpixel font rendering the closest to what you'd get should you print the fonts still being on Mac, which is one of the reason Apple has always been so big in the pre-press industry (I've typeset lots of books using Quark XPress on Macs ; )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 11:22:44 »
What I mean is that after the graphics have been rasterized, there's no way for the OS to detect which pixels have been adjusted for sub pixel detailing. It's not a knock on Linux. It's just not possible.

It's like if I take a screenshot of my desktop that has ClearType fonts on it. That screenshot will not look right on a monitor that is BGR as opposed to RGB. It doesn't matter what the font settings are, because a screenshot isn't a font. Same applies to any graphics format that's non vector (almost all, SVG is the open vector format of choice).

Graphic designers that use sub pixel techniques (which is most when working with fonts - whether they intend to or not) assume that the user is working with RGB horizontal pixels. They do not accommodate for the 5% that are not using this standard at the expense of the 95% that are. As soon as those fonts are rendered and provided in a non vector graphics format (JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, etc., etc.) they will not look right on a non standard monitor.

And Linux fonts look terrible next to Windows equivalents. I've done a lot of tweaking and tuning on Ubuntu, and there's no way to correct it. It's just not as good.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2011, 11:39:10 by eyesnine »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 13:21:58 »
Quote from: eyesnine;376215
What I mean is that after the graphics have been rasterized, there's no way for the OS to detect which pixels have been adjusted for sub pixel detailing. It's not a knock on Linux. It's just not possible.

Oh but nobody ever disputed that a subpixel-rendered RGB picture would not look good on a BGR screen ; )

What you just wrote is quite different than your cryptic: "subpixel graphics detailing isn't translatable by Linux"  ; )

And Linux fonts look terrible next to Windows equivalents. I've done a lot of tweaking and tuning on Ubuntu, and there's no way to correct it. It's just not as good.

OK thread is seriously derailing now but I suspect you tried to tweak and tune default Linux fonts (whatever that means, because "default" Linux fonts change from one distro to another, from one year to another, depending on who gives which font for free, on what gets included, etc.).  I take fonts from my Windows systems (I should try from my Mac, never tried that yet), copy them on my Linux system and then I tweak and tune them.

Here's the Geek Hack website subpixel rendered on Linux (on the left) next to ClearType (Windows) on the right.  I've always found that ClearType was a bit blurry, especially when it's not "black on white".  On the screenshot I took my sig on this very site and your paragraph (Firefox/Linux vs IE/Windows), for comparison:

I think it's a matter of opinion but saying "It's just not as good" is probably a bit strong.

That's why you also need to precise what you mean by "next to Windows equivalents".  If you mean "default windows sans-serif" vs "default Linux sans-serif" then, depending on your distro, yes, the default sans-serif (and serif even more) can certainly look fugly (it used to be terrible, nowadays I think most distro ship with sane default fonts, thankfully : )

But then nothing prevents you from taking your own paid-for Windows fonts (the one you got when you bought Windows) and putting them on your Linux system.  For example I like Tahoma.  I think Tahoma, for a lot of usage, is really nice.  Hence I always add Tahoma to my Linux systems.

That said back on topic: who's making us a nice old-school G80-5000 rendered in its fully split state ?

P.S: I remember surfing on Linux in the nineties with the old Netscape, now that was a visually traumatizing experience ; )

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 16:19:04 »
Here's my take on the FK2001:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20234[/ATTACH]
... and its ISO cousin FK2002:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20235[/ATTACH]

Proportions should be more realistic on these.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #219 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 06:19:56 »
Terminal F in Model M layout, M13 black keys:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20315[/ATTACH]

(Granted, I'm probably the only one who's done that far of a conversion...)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 06:23:40 by sethstorm »
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline N8N

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 08:15:03 »
any chance of a Cherry G80-8200?  I think it's my new favorite keyboard.

And just to mess with you, it is in fact available in both off-white and black :)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:45:43 »
Ok, I took the Dolch board posted above as a basis, and redid the layout and color scheme to match my Dolch Cherry board.  I also added the Dolch logo and some minor case detail.  I hope someone has use for this besides me!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20594[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 23:40:41 by Oqsy »
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline strum4h

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 00:11:45 »
can someone make a GHSS one?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 00:52:47 »
I don't have sealcouchs skill but can add color to the SIIG Minitouch he did earlier [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20433[/ATTACH]

Anybody posted a Rosewill RK-9000 here? I'll have to go back and look.  Filco Full from the first post looks close.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:09:13 by TexasFlood »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 14:43:17 »
Any chance of a black tenkeyless Filco with light gray letter keys and esc key?

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:09:50 »
I don't have sealcouchs skill but can add color to the SIIG Minitouch he did earlier [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20560[/ATTACH]

Anybody posted a Rosewill RK-9000 here? I'll have to go back and look.  Filco Full from the first post looks close.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:12:30 by TexasFlood »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:13:42 »
I don't have sealcouchs skill but can add color to the SIIG Minitouch he did earlier [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20561[/ATTACH]

Anybody posted a Rosewill RK-9000 here? I'll have to go back and look.  Filco Full from the first post looks close. Or a Space Saver Keyboard M4-1?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20563[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20562[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:22:36 by TexasFlood »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:24:42 »
I don't have sealcouchs skill but can add color to the SIIG Minitouch he did earlier [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20564[/ATTACH]

Anybody posted a Rosewill RK-9000 here? I'll have to go back and look.  Filco Full from the first post looks close. Or a Space Saver Keyboard M4-1?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20566[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20565[/ATTACH]

Offline Dox

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:49:38 »
public static int32 fdsafdsafsdal;kjjlk;jaslfjdk;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;ljk;;;fsdakl;jj vfcxermdjitk,guol5tumjicdrxvf ghklbn,. mvgnhjuxcrtd,iz
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 21:26:03 »

I made some corrections to the G80-8113, I think it looks better now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 21:33:58 by eyesnine »

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 21:57:09 »

Beige.

Offline Dox

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:06:38 »
I made some correction to the black HHKB and I made my doxKb.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20581[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20582[/ATTACH]
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 23:41:34 »
Dolch 101key edited above to fix white corners on png, looks better now :D

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 16:20:20 »
Quote from: eyesnine;379218
Show Image

Beige.

That's too beige for my taste (the modifiers are too dark).
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 16:57:03 »
Could you do me a datahand, please?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline eyesnine

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 21:51:35 »
Quote from: 7bit;380473
That's too beige for my taste (the modifiers are too dark).

Better?

Offline Monoxide

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:00:48 »
These are awesome!! Thank you!!
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic6227_1.gif[/sigpic]
Filco Majestouch Tactile Click

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:34:51 »
Cool, really nice job!

Offline Multiple

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 02:18:39 »
Quote from: Agiel;375449
Haven't seen this one yet (do want):
Show Image

New:
Show Image
Old:
Show Image
(Are there more versions?)

Nice job on that one. I touched it up with lighter colors:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20884[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #239 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 08:48:10 »
any chance for an IBM M15 keyboard?  Thanks.

Offline Multiple

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 09:42:12 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20915[/ATTACH]

Added the distinct "feet-adjustment-knobs" to the model F AT and a lighter color.

A model F XT would be nice to have.

BTW, why are the attachments resized?

Offline Lester

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 10:14:57 »
I try ducky 1087:

With letter ENG:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20916[/ATTACH]

Otaku:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20917[/ATTACH]

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 11:58:51 »
Can't seem to insert uploaded pics into my sig anymore :(
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline gimpster

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 11:59:37 »
Quote from: Zhuni;380944
Can't seem to insert uploaded pics into my sig anymore :(

Looks like you only have the option to upload a single signature pic.
-Ryan

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #244 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:17:31 »
Quote from: gimpster;380945
Looks like you only have the option to upload a single signature pic.

I only want to upload one :(
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:53:30 »
Quote from: Zhuni;380977
I only want to upload one :(
Do you have an "Upload Signature Picture" option under the "Edit Signature" section?

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:58:42 »
I'll try to do an XT this weekend.

Offline r4pture

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 16 July 2011, 23:07:34 »
No Northgate Omnikey 101 or IBM Model M2?  :)  With the Dell AT101W in here I can make a sig with those.
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic12085_2.gif[/sigpic]
~ Dell AT101W~ ~ ~ ~IBM Model M2~ ~ ~Northgate Omnikey 101 ~

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 17 July 2011, 11:19:20 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;380994
Do you have an "Upload Signature Picture" option under the "Edit Signature" section?

Yeah. But its not doing anything. It shows the picture I've uploaded but when I click insert into line it does nothing. Oh well no worries.
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline r4pture

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 17 July 2011, 14:44:26 »
Quote from: Zhuni;382013
Yeah. But its not doing anything. It shows the picture I've uploaded but when I click insert into line it does nothing. Oh well no worries.

Yeah I've been having the same issue.
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic12085_2.gif[/sigpic]
~ Dell AT101W~ ~ ~ ~IBM Model M2~ ~ ~Northgate Omnikey 101 ~