Author Topic: razer/swtor keyboard  (Read 11272 times)

Offline curzen

razer/swtor keyboard
« on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 23:45:55 »
I'll just leave this here

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor/keyboard

didn't check too closely if anyone else posted this.

looks plenty rice and while I dig the apparent oled keys in something not as retarded like that Optimus Maximus or whatever it was called, I think I shall pass on this one.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline jpz

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 23:52:19 »
WTF is dynamic adaptive tactile keys?
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline sinis

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 23:52:51 »
wow this one is ugly. it looks more like the interior of C3POs ass. All this lcd blingbling ... lol... retarded

Offline curzen

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 June 2011, 23:53:06 »
Quote from: jpz;357145

snakeoil?
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline dreamingftw

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 00:10:49 »
only a few keys are dynamic on the right and it looks really bad. Probably going to charge $200 for this gimmicky KB...

Offline sinis

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 00:20:26 »
Quote from: jpz;357145

i read it as the funcion of the keys differ in the situation you are ingame. since it is designed for only one game this is a software issue. Plus razer seems to want the tactile feel of keys as a selling argument since they build the blackwidow. so they are building tactile keys even in this kind of, I assume, crappy rubberdome.

Offline Tony

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 00:55:35 »
Most Razer keyboards are crap, but Razer promotion departments show great creativity.

They invent new flowery words that gamers are too impressed to ask for meaning.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline curzen

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 00:57:08 »
to be honest, the original boomslang was a big deal. then razer went to hell, came back and has for the most part only produced some strange cheap 'gamer' peripherals since. imo.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 01:43:12 »
I predict that this thing will be ridiculously overpriced, just like the SC2 and Tron gear.

Offline draconothese

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 10:27:26 »
the retail price razer gave at e3 yesterday for that keyboard  was 199us it has a touchscreen below the 10 keys with the little screens in them figure i would clear that up. if it has mech keys i think i will get it instead of a black widow. it will be released along side starwars the old republic so have to wait for whenever that is

Offline foliolio

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 10:48:26 »
Looks very scissor-switchey to me.

Offline redpill

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 10:53:50 »
I don't see any of the keys that actually change like Optimus, just the little screen on the lower right.  So basically it's a garish scissor switch keyboard with an LED screen to display useless logos and take up space.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 11:20:50 »
Yeah... looks like a big pile of fail to me. But I hate chiclet keyboards, and would never want to use a touchpad instead of a mouse for gaming. Also using the macro keys with your right hand while trying to move with the touchpad would be less than ideal.

Offline redpill

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 12:00:16 »
Maybe lysol just has an affinity for incorrect grammar.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Lanx

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 12:37:55 »
this will sell lots.
stupid SW fan bois will eat this keyboard up, looking at it from a mmo perspective, i don't understand the touchscreen, unless it is a quick shortcut wheel (much like most of biowares rpg) as a quick option, and i believe the adaptive keys change with each stance for instance the top left key could be attack, if the stance is offensive but when you quick change to defensive stance that same button becomes block.
Sounds pretty interesting and it really is no different that selecting different profiles in devices or different "states" but to integrate it like this, i think lots of SW fan bois will like it.
Especially since I heard that the first star wars mmo, consisted of computer idiots, basically ppl who really love star wars but couldn't operate a computer, but of course this crowd will happily mortgage their house to buy any fan gear they can get.

Offline Findecanor

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 14:07:24 »
Knowing lots of (other) Star Wars fans and the fan community, I am sure that a lot of Star Wars fans are going to buy this keyboard. There are lots of Star Wars fans that will buy just about everything.

I think that Razer is calling the buttons "dynamic tactile" as a way to point out that it is not simply a touch-screen.
🍉

Offline draconothese

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 15:12:30 »
going to post a link to a video if thats alright for this keyboard i want one shows the keys changing and the touchscreen below the keys

i want it not because of the starwars but because it seems like a cheap optimus

warning full of marketing jargen

[video=youtube;DQfq9V1gt1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DQfq9V1gt1g[/video]
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2011, 15:15:56 by draconothese »

Offline jpz

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 15:19:09 »
Engadget did an article on the stuff as seen here.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline curzen

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 16:45:22 »
I very much doubt there's any mechanical switches in there at all. If there are after all I *might* give it a second look.
[ KBC Poker ]

Offline Zet

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 18:30:54 »
this one doesn't look so bad to me, but after having problems with my Naga I have second doubts about this brand.

The bad thing is, I can't remember how life was before my Naga, but having to pay 70$ for something I won't be able to RMA since I live far, and might fail after a couple of months is a big con for me... sniff...

Offline sordna

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 20:32:30 »
Oh no, futuristic products yet still have the STUPID staggered key arrangement carried over from the pushrod typewriters of the pleistocene period. Dinosaurs died but the staggered keys refuse to do so.
I'm so disgusted.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline draconothese

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 June 2011, 21:02:51 »
it looks a little flat i wonder what long hours or typing feels like on it almost seems like keys would need to be vary comfy to use that keyboard for a long time oh and ripster what is that picture from on your profile is it carmin sandiago and love the over clocking trolling you got going with the razer products fun to watch and read

Offline foliolio

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 10:18:22 »
Quote from: draconothese;357651
it looks a little flat i wonder what long hours or typing feels like on it almost seems like keys would need to be vary comfy to use that keyboard for a long time oh and ripster what is that picture from on your profile is it carmin sandiago and love the over clocking trolling you got going with the razer products fun to watch and read

Don't know about the typing feel but at least it seems to sport the commas and full stops, as is customary at this day and age.

Offline WasabiJ

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 20:05:30 »
I don't see any of the keys that actually change like Optimus, just the little screen on the lower right. So basically it's a garish scissor switch keyboard with an LED screen to display useless logos and take up space.

I believe that is a multitouch screen, so it wouldn't be far fetched to believe the screen would act something like the G13, where everything is contextual.

Looks very scissor-switchey to me.

Maybe 'membrane-y'?  Good feeling of oneness with 'box' rubber?  Not sure about the exectution but if the cheaper idea of "big screen under clear keys" is used, then we're probably looking at something suspending the keys over the screen, or *shudder* onto it.  If that's the case, I fear for their RMA department more than I already do.  It can't be easy to do that job, especially with their typical fanbase and their product price giving customers expectations of higher build quality.

I googled it and got a bio-medical paper regarding haptic feedback.  (I'll be mad if Razer does haptic feedback before Apple puts it in a damned iPhone)

As for the keyboard in the title, I think they could do a bit better without as many buzzwords and crazy lighting, but really it IS eye candy to the typical case ricer.  Done more minimalistically, this would be a fantastic media keyboard with proper driver support.

I've had Nagas, and both are still strong.  If another company made a different numpad mouse, maybe I wouldn't be defending them; but, they have the equipment I need, and while a bit underwhelmed with some build quality details, I think they do a good job with the products I've used.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2011, 20:12:51 by WasabiJ »

Offline The Solutor

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 20:19:19 »
Quote from: curzen;357473
I very much doubt there's any mechanical switches in there at all. If there are after all I *might* give it a second look.

I think keys on the right are just transparent plastic over a resistive touch screen, like happened on the glorious Sonyericsson P800
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline spitfire6000

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 20:21:38 »
oh god...I can't even fathom how many defects a product like this...made by a company like Razer, will definitely have.

I predict many many product returns, replacements, and refunds, in the future for whoever is unfortunate enough to buy into razer's marketing.

Offline WasabiJ

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 20:35:20 »
I don't know if it's "buying into" or dealing with.

Offline nksharp

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 05:46:49 »
Hmmmm. Been playing SWTOR a lot lately and been looking at getting a new keyboard for a while.

Not sure if I should even consider this or just get a topre or some other mechanical. Not sure I would even use that keypad on the side since I use my mouse (why would they even sell a razer mouse then have a keyboard that makes the mouse useless).

...Opinions?

Offline Talfrey

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 07:38:10 »
Quote from: nksharp;490956
Hmmmm. Been playing SWTOR a lot lately and been looking at getting a new keyboard for a while.

Not sure if I should even consider this or just get a topre or some other mechanical. Not sure I would even use that keypad on the side since I use my mouse (why would they even sell a razer mouse then have a keyboard that makes the mouse useless).

...Opinions?

If you're looking for a star wars themed keyboard, just get custom keycaps XD

If you're looking for a quality keyboard, I'd suggest topre or an old fashioned model M (cheap on ebay!)

Offline nksharp

razer/swtor keyboard
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 08:16:48 »
Probably functionality over style since that is all this seems to offer. Just not to sure how durable the keyboard would be and the price tag doesn't help at all.

My friend has a topre but hard to tell how good it is just by typing a few words out really.