Author Topic: [IC] G20 Semiotic (Currently available from PMK)  (Read 88179 times)

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
Re: [IC] G20 Semiotic
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 02:38:16 »
The next step will be a high-res orthographic render of all the kits with all the keys. Stay tuned!

been waiting for this  :thumb:

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 02:57:51 »
Here's an updated Extras kit. Just a small tweak to the ISO Return key, and the addition of the toprow \| key.

(Attachment Link)

The next step will be a high-res orthographic render of all the kits with all the keys. Stay tuned!

Oh man, 1u \| is a great addition, that means I can already use this set on my current board and layout.

Also, if you finish the renders, I'd be willing to pop them into an imgur album and post that to /r/mk to give this set a bit of exposure.
Sentraq S60-X, dyed blank PBT keycaps, Gateron Browns

Offline zslane

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 22:00:10 »
Here are all the keycaps, separated by kit. Note that the \| key appears in both the Topstripe and the Extras kit, but I feel it should only be in one or the other. Which kit should it go in?

152712-0

Here are some empty keyboards too, scaled to match the size of the keycaps in the render above. I figured this might help folks play around with keycap arrangements.

152714-1

Offline ndlu2

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 22:55:59 »
I don't think signature plastics has a mold for g20 iso enter.

Offline zslane

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 23:17:43 »
No, you're totally correct, they don't. The Extras kit would come with the DCS version instead. Better than none at all, I figure.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 00:21:55 »
No, you're totally correct, they don't. The Extras kit would come with the DCS version instead. Better than none at all, I figure.

DCS? Or DSA?

Offline zslane

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 00:26:22 »
They're the same thing.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 07:33:28 »

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 08:48:33 »
DCS? Or DSA?

They're the same thing.

No? https://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_DCS_family , http://keycapsdirect.com/key-caps.php. Unless you mean just the iso enter is the same?

Anyway, would love this in anything other than G20. I realize that's half the point for OP, but as someone really into the overall concept, dealbreaker for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2016, 08:52:50 by wilarseny »

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 13:44:29 »
As far as I know, SP has a tolerance of 0.02 inches for edge to edge printing. This set kind of requires the prints to be aligned exactly, though. I would ask them to run a sample first before putting more time into it (set looks pretty defined already)

Offline MustacheRabbit

• My friends just don't understand
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 13:50:35 »
I would be totally in for this set. I am a huge fan of Alien, and even if they end up in G20 profile I would instantly buy out a few sets.

I'd prefer DSA, but the aesthetic for the G20 caps would be so much nicer due to the larger print area.

Offline zslane

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 16:29:57 »
As far as I know, SP has a tolerance of 0.02 inches for edge to edge printing. This set kind of requires the prints to be aligned exactly, though. I would ask them to run a sample first before putting more time into it (set looks pretty defined already)

Yes, I hear you, japanitrat. I would definitely want to go through a test run or two with SP before allowing it to go into production. They would want to do the same, I'm sure.

Offline zslane

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 16:38:57 »
Also, I've scoured PMK's website twice now and I still haven't found a page for voting.  Is it something that's only visible when there are sets to vote for?

For some reason they don't seem to link to the voting site from the PMK site. Color me confused.

At any rate, here's a link to the voting site: http://redrokk.pixelprecisionnw.com/

You will need to create an account at the PMK site and use that to log in to the voting site.

Offline zslane

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 16:48:15 »
Here is a slightly tweaked update to the full set render. I removed the \| key from the Extras kit, so it only appears in the Topstripe kit now. I also replaced the 1.5u \| key with a new graphic. The previous one remains in the ErgoDox kit, and is exclusive to it.

152741-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2016, 16:52:27 by zslane »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 21:43:00 »
Ortholinear mods will be lovely. Looking at your render I found the all-symbol planck is too cramped and didn't have place to "breath" like when this set placed on another board. Sure it give planck some special treatment if you look it from the other side, but as the original semiotic/EDS use ortholinear layout too, ortho board will become the closest homage.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 22:00:16 »
they look great!  ;D

152755-0
152757-1

Here is a slightly tweaked update to the full set render. I removed the \| key from the Extras kit, so it only appears in the Topstripe kit now. I also replaced the 1.5u \| key with a new graphic. The previous one remains in the ErgoDox kit, and is exclusive to it.

(Attachment Link)

there are two arrows cluster?

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 23:49:58 »
Loving the renders. This is looking so awesome!
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline zslane

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 01:47:53 »
there are two arrows cluster?

No, that's just my dumb render setup. I need to fix it. Thank you for pointing it out!

Offline mll8394

• I regret joining this hobby :/
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 04:43:43 »
ooohhh all logos and novelties  :eek: :eek: :eek: Gotta love keysets like this  ;D  :))
"Converting Oxygen into CO2 24/7"

Offline zslane

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 11:19:52 »
Okay, let's try this again.

152771-0

And here are the keyboard templates again.

152773-1
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2016, 11:28:26 by zslane »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 12:03:20 »
Thanks for the link to the voting page.  I'm sad to see some of those legends consigned to 1.5u keys on the Ergodox kit, but I'm sure that Ergodox modifiers with legends, and exclusive legends at that, will make this even more attractive to Ergodox users.

Offline zslane

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 12:10:35 »
I thought about putting the 1.5u and 2u keycaps from the ErgoDox kit into the Extras kit, but that would fill it with too many keys that folks with alternate layouts simply don't need, and would make that kit needlessly expensive. I figure completists who must have every key, just to have them, will put their collector's hat on and just buy the ErgoDox kit (and maybe give or sell off the few duplicate keys).

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 12:46:49 »
I'm still going for as many kits as I can afford.    Seeing those vertical keys on the Ergodox kit made me realize that people can change the profile of their layout by flipping the keys.  With only a 3 degree slope, the difference might not be very noticeable but it will be interesting to try it out.  I'm thinking of flipping the alpha and mod keys 180 degrees and keeping the intended orientation on the number row.  Maybe I'll flip the pinky keys 90 degrees.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 14:12:19 »
It is a shame there is no a proper mold for an ISO key in that profile, I may be in for a set of modifiers if it was available.

Offline zslane

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 14:33:16 »
I think it would be great to see a G20 ISO Return. But SP never bothered to invest in an ISO Return key mold for DSA. It is hard to imagine what would motivate them to do so for G20.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 15:13:48 »
Ortholinear mods will be lovely. Looking at your render I found the all-symbol planck is too cramped and didn't have place to "breath" like when this set placed on another board. Sure it give planck some special treatment if you look it from the other side, but as the original semiotic/EDS use ortholinear layout too, ortho board will become the closest homage.

You could use the 1u mod keys from the Extras set and/or the F-keys from the Toprow set to get your modifiers.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 15:14:12 »
I think it would be great to see a G20 ISO Return. But SP never bothered to invest in an ISO Return key mold for DSA. It is hard to imagine what would motivate them to do so for G20.

Right, it seems impossible, that is why I use Cherry and GMK sets.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 12:45:35 »
Was showing this set to a friend at work.  He's not a keyboard enthusiast, but he is an amazing artist and sci-fi fan.  I started explaining the concept behind the set and we read up on Ron Cobb and Semiotic Standard. Then we started talking about all of the work that must have gone into these older sets.  I plan to watch the original film again to get hyped some more.  I'll be proud to own something so brilliantly themed and well planned out.

These caps are going on a "Masterkeys Pro S" inside the space white CNC case from norbauer.  This is probably going to be the most amazing thing I've ever had!  :cool:

Offline zslane

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 13:34:41 »
Thanks for the link to the voting page.

Forget about PMK's voting page and that whole system they tried to establish. It has been abandoned.

Unfortunately, that means there is currently no vehicle for running a group buy.

(I had reached out to another group buy organizer before I even posted here, but got no response, so I'm not optimistic about finding an interested GB agent.)

Offline zslane

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 18:16:57 »
Major Update: Melissa over at Signature Plastics contacted me and they want to run G20 Semiotics as one of their featured Sets of the Month.

I will be working with them to make sure the graphics fit onto the keycaps properly. Assuming this goes smoothly, you'll all be able to order sets in the (hopefully) not too distant future!

I want to thank everyone for helping out on this!  :thumb:

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 18:33:32 »
that's great news! such a unique set, been dying to try out G20 too

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:04:39 »
It's a shame the PMK voting system has died out but at least the set of the month is something.  Glad to see this one's getting picked up for a run by SP.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:09:03 »
Major Update: Melissa over at Signature Plastics contacted me and they want to run G20 Semiotics as one of their featured Sets of the Month.

I will be working with them to make sure the graphics fit onto the keycaps properly. Assuming this goes smoothly, you'll all be able to order sets in the (hopefully) not too distant future!

Congratulations, Zslane. I'm glad Melissa and the guys are willing to show G20 some love - what a fantastic and unique set to showcase the keycap profile's strengths. Could not be more apt in my opinion.

Looking forward to being able to order a set!

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:11:02 »

Next Sunday, A.D.?

What an emotional roller coaster this thread has turned into.  Will we get to see a test run or is SP confident that their equipment can faithfully produce this set?

Offline zslane

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 19:58:02 »
That is a good question derezzed.

SP is already aware of the set and what it looks like, so I sort of feel that if they weren't confident that their equipment could faithfully produce it, I don't think they would have proposed making it a Set of the Month. But, of course, we won't know for certain until we try some experiments. It will be an iterative process that will take a little time.

My biggest fear is being told that in order to be "safe" and avoid any chance of sublimating over the top edges, I will have to shrink the graphics to a size smaller than I am happy with. The EDSP graphics I'm not so worried about since they all have lots of open space around their printed elements. It is the Semiotic symbols that present the greatest potential for problems because they all have a red border which must be perfectly centered and not run over any top edge. Depending on the registration tolerances of their sublimation equipment, this could be a thorny issue.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 20:52:49 »
That's a very good news zslane! Congratulation! I quoted this from Melissa, "The print area on sublimation is essentially the entire top surface of the keycap. Please note that there is a 'margin of error' of 0.020 inches for all sublimated artwork (when printing).". Looks like all you need to worry is the 0.020 margin.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 21:16:58 »

awesome!  :thumb:

That is a good question derezzed.

SP is already aware of the set and what it looks like, so I sort of feel that if they weren't confident that their equipment could faithfully produce it, I don't think they would have proposed making it a Set of the Month. But, of course, we won't know for certain until we try some experiments. It will be an iterative process that will take a little time.

My biggest fear is being told that in order to be "safe" and avoid any chance of sublimating over the top edges, I will have to shrink the graphics to a size smaller than I am happy with. The EDSP graphics I'm not so worried about since they all have lots of open space around their printed elements. It is the Semiotic symbols that present the greatest potential for problems because they all have a red border which must be perfectly centered and not run over any top edge. Depending on the registration tolerances of their sublimation equipment, this could be a thorny issue.

hope they will make some prototypes so we will know how the printing will turn out  :blank:

Offline zslane

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 14 November 2016, 22:31:19 »
Yes, they will definitely be making prototypes for me to examine and approve.

Offline iFreilicht

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 04:49:25 »
Those are great news, I'm sure you will be able to make it work and look awesome at the same time. I love how SP makes the turn-around on these unique sets so quick. Certainly raises the incentive of designers to try out new stuff like you did.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 08:30:01 »
I just hope that the main alpha legends come with a fair quality considering how complex they are. It may be some market for a set with alphas that use the same type of legends that the number row has.

Offline zslane

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 12:39:03 »
I just hope that the main alpha legends come with a fair quality considering how complex they are.

Agreed. I am optimistic because these graphics are all simple shapes and line work. Perfect for the dye-sublimation process. The only question is that of minimum supportable line thickness since some elements are pretty thin.

It may be some market for a set with alphas that use the same type of legends that the number row has.

There may be, but such a set would just be a conventional set of alphas in the Eurostile font, which I have no interest in (as a user or as a designer). If someone else wants to design such a set/kit, by all means they should. I would not object.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 12:49:15 »
I just hope that the main alpha legends come with a fair quality considering how complex they are.

Agreed. I am optimistic because these graphics are all simple shapes and line work. Perfect for the dye-sublimation process. The only question is that of minimum supportable line thickness since some elements are pretty thin.

It may be some market for a set with alphas that use the same type of legends that the number row has.

There may be, but such a set would just be a conventional set of alphas in the Eurostile font, which I have no interest in (as a user or as a designer). If someone else wants to design such a set/kit, by all means they should. I would not object.

There is no need to design one; because, there are alphas available at PMK that can be paired with these mods, if they were available separately.

Offline zslane

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 12:58:17 »
Okay, maybe I misunderstood you. You said "with the same type of legends that the number row has." The type(face) used on the Topstripe keys is Eurostile, and they have border graphics too. The stock G20 keycaps available from SP would have neither of these features, but maybe they would be an acceptable compromise for folks who only like the EDSP-based modifiers.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 14:02:40 »

Next Sunday, A.D.?

Why is there no Like button on this forum for me to hit?  :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 14:04:25 »
Okay, maybe I misunderstood you. You said "with the same type of legends that the number row has." The type(face) used on the Topstripe keys is Eurostile, and they have border graphics too. The stock G20 keycaps available from SP would have neither of these features, but maybe they would be an acceptable compromise for folks who only like the EDSP-based modifiers.

You understood it perfectly; however, the mods can be paired with other alphas in the same profile, it is not the same, of course.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 21:42:44 »
G20 blanks + Sharpie markers = problem solved   ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 10:08:05 »
G20 blanks + Sharpie markers = problem solved   ;)

LOL, a new breed of artisan's key caps?

Offline zslane

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 21:38:06 »
Here are the first keycap samples derived from the graphics I sent to SP.

I am exploring the feasibility of enlarging the symbols about 10%, but if doing so presents problems then what you see in that photo is what they will look like. I'm pleased to see that they look exactly as I envisioned them, pretty much right off the bat.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 21:51:40 »
Great news! They look excellent.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 21:54:19 »
Far better than I thought, I just hope the large keys do not get warped as the Granites did.