Author Topic: Best backlit key caps  (Read 11884 times)

Offline jordansimone18

Best backlit key caps
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:12:33 »
I am looking for keycaps for my Quickfire Rapid-I. I want to know which ones would be the best for my keyboard. Maybe even blank keycaps would look good if it just provides the underglow, and no light shining through. I am also not looking for black keycaps. I would like white or gray but I am open to suggestions. Any good recommendations?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Best backlit key caps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:48:12 »
GMK Dolch. Cherry profile thick doubleshot caps with very nice legends and unbeatable quality. The latest Group Buy for them has recently closed, but you could ask if anyone wants to transfer their set: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58608.0

I wouldn't bother with "proper" backlit keycaps. They're all thin ABS rubbish except for the Deck set (horrible font) and the new PBT+POM Vortex set, but I'm not sure what the quality of that set will turn out like.

Background glow around nice thick high quality caps is very nice. Especially with white backlighting, IMHO. So look for a set that is high quality that appeals to you.

What keycap profile do you prefer (SA, DSA, DCS, Cherry, OEM, etc..)?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 05:26:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

"Best" is subjective.

"backlit keycaps" is also misleading - usually that would refer to keycaps with transparent/translucent legends that light up when the backlight is on, in contradistinction to non-backlit keycaps  that, at best, would have a general weak glow from the LED (plus a certain amount of underglow).

I would agree that Dolch is one of the better sets, and one of the true classics.  Unfortunately that GB is closed :(

Other than that, keep an eye out for any other GB that Ivan runs through GMK - fantastic keycaps!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline qwack

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:17:35 »
Background glow around nice thick high quality caps is very nice. Especially with white backlighting, IMHO. So look for a set that is high quality that appeals to you.

This.

(from the Post your Poker thread)

If you don't want black, there were grey Vortex PBT caps on massdrop a few days ago, I don't know if they are still available. Otherwise, there are navy (blank & side-printed) & white (side-printed only) PBT sets from Leopold linked here : http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59780.0

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline jordansimone18

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 13:39:43 »
What keycap profile do you prefer (SA, DSA, DCS, Cherry, OEM, etc..)?

I have no idea, I am a noob at this stuff.

Offline jordansimone18

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 13:48:42 »
Also if you have seen a Rapid-I you can see very clearly in between the keycaps. Some of the ones you guys suggested are mushed together and I don't think I would be able to see the backlight very well.

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 17:17:27 »
Vortex will be releasing PBT double shot backlit keycaps soon, for $33. This is very important, since they will be the best quality backlit keycaps ever made, and they also have a great font at an unbeatable price.
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 17:37:57 »
Maxkeyboard is also going to release their double shot ABS keycaps in September (or at least the rumor says so).

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-blackbird-tenkeyless-tkl-cherry-mx-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

So this could be a good option too.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 18:10:56 »
Vortex will be releasing PBT double shot backlit keycaps soon, for $33. This is very important, since they will be the best quality backlit keycaps ever made, and they also have a great font at an unbeatable price.

what vortex caps have you been using?

vortex's caps are fine if you're blind...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
Best backlit key caps
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 18:20:00 »
Have you seen the backlit caps? They don't use the horrid Poker font.
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 05:07:56 »
Have you seen the backlit caps? They don't use the horrid Poker font.

From what I have seen / read they will have the Cherry-esque font of the new doubleshot PBT's, but using milky POM for the legends instead of PBT.

I also think they'll be the best "backlit" capable caps out there when released. But I still prefer better quality, non-backlit caps on a backlit board. The bleed-around is nice and nothing beats the feeling of typing on really high quality caps.

The only "backlit" caps I use nowadays are the Cherry Legend Replicas.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:32:29 »
I am looking for keycaps for my Quickfire Rapid-I. I want to know which ones would be the best for my keyboard. Maybe even blank keycaps would look good if it just provides the underglow, and no light shining through. I am also not looking for black keycaps. I would like white or gray but I am open to suggestions. Any good recommendations?

2 recommendations

1) ask cgbuen or anyone for TG3 PBT doubleshots. I believe cgb still hasn't sold his. They are Deck quality without ugly font.
2) x-keys. You can get colored relegendables which give you a lot of leeway to control the appearance.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:54:13 »
I actually like the colors Ducky backlit caps offer best, and I hate Vortex's font so it's an easy choice. :)

Also agree with just using high-quality solid caps for a nice underglow effect instead.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:55:52 by noisyturtle »