Author Topic: 【IC】A Full custom keyboard designs:Oblivion[Update new bottom design]  (Read 30235 times)

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
Hello~

Because GB of HB85 has ended,so I modified this post as a separate IC post for the Oblivion.

Earlier, I saw a layout by @ Delirious(this picture) on GH.

I fell in love with it in a moment;So soon I decided to design this layout.

Because I think this is a classic and perfect, so I'm not going to modify him, just want  to rebirth it out.
And I  love this film 《Oblivion》, so I want to design the minimalist style of keyboard( like film showing).

This is the design at the present stage, and I still like the design very much.

Some sketches on the back design

Rendering photos~

I hope you can give me some advice,say THKS frist~

[Update new bottom design]

I wonder if you like this design?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2018, 01:58:37 by AIRPOTTER »

Offline hansichen

Re: 【IC】Oblivion:rebirth and newborn. one 100% custom keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 06:07:32 »
That's a nice idea, something different compared to past customs  :thumb:  I personally would prefer a straight line on the top of the board and not a modified one above the numpad.

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 06:21:54 »
I saw the name and thought you were doing the GMK keyset... not disappointed, but I was confused.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 06:47:47 »
Looks really cool. I personally dig the lines: I think you're taking an old layout and giving it a more modern and recognizable form that is uniquely its own. Can't wait to see more.

Also - I do think that since there's already a famous GMK Oblivion set, you're going to have more than one confused person thinking they're opening up a thread about keycaps. Not sure if that's enough to change your mind, but it will be slightly confusing for the community.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:21:10 »
Oh, this is really nice. I liked the COD67 and this looks great too.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:42:10 »
Looks great! :eek: Being honest I am not a full sized KB person at all, but this kit might be a buy for me. I love the look & the layout is pretty unique, nothing quite like it out there right now that I can think of other than the vintage KB that inspired it. Awesome work here, definitely keeping my eye on this project! :thumb:

Offline forumusername

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:34:21 »
Keyboards with numpad I'm in!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:43:00 »
Looks great! Will definitely be following this IC

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:53:00 »
Looks great! No objections from me regarding the name, a product worthy of it. Would buy it in a heartbeat if it were a TKL.

I really like the top design, it's not just a plain surface, but still classy and not looking like over-designed trash.

Aren't the caps/scroll/numlock indicators duplicate tho? top left and above numpad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:02:47 by Oblotzky »

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:06:03 »
This looks great. Anything with a numpad that looks this good goes on my shopping list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:28:04 »
Looks better than the 1800 layout IMO. I'm diggin the bottom and the weight, def interested.  :thumb:
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline ewiper

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 18:00:57 »
It would be interesting to see an example without the whole top row as well. Something that looks like a 68 key with a numpad.

Offline HardcoreDesk

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 18:14:45 »
Very beautiful design, especially the bottom, my one question is, it looks like there are two sets of indicator LEDs, one on the top edge on the left, the other on the tag on the right.

Offline MrBreakfst

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 19:42:14 »
Bottom is the best part tbh  :eek:

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:36:41 »
Really like it apart for the the LED area. It's very busy compared to the super slick lines of the rest of the board. I would personally prefer it without the extra bezeled accent color bit around the LEDs.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 04:04:22 »
Wow, a bigass bigass enter. Now that is truly a bigass sight to behold.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Valaris

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 08:50:41 »
This might be the first full size keyboard I build...

Offline omjak

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:12:14 »

Because I think this is a classic and perfect, so I'm not going to modify him, just want  to rebirth it out.

Some folks here won't be able to use their existing keycaps on this "classic and perfect" layout.
(I opt out)

Edit:
my mistake, I didn't realize you did change the layout afterall.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:15:22 by omjak »

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:49:34 »
Looks really cool. I personally dig the lines: I think you're taking an old layout and giving it a more modern and recognizable form that is uniquely its own. Can't wait to see more.

Also - I do think that since there's already a famous GMK Oblivion set, you're going to have more than one confused person thinking they're opening up a thread about keycaps. Not sure if that's enough to change your mind, but it will be slightly confusing for the community.

Thank you first. :) to be more convenient to modern,on the basis of the original, a common return key is added. :)

And because I like the film so much, soI  may not change  name. :-[(At least there's no better name in the short term, and it won't change.)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:50:33 »
really like the renders, excited to see a prototype
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:52:13 »
Really like it apart for the the LED area. It's very busy compared to the super slick lines of the rest of the board. I would personally prefer it without the extra bezeled accent color bit around the LEDs.
Well, I really like that area too. Compared to the whole keyboard, it seems to have a very delicate feeling. :)

Offline smurkcity12

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 13:35:47 »
I love this layout and would almost certainly get in on a GB for it.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 14:19:45 »
I'm glad someone finally notices and appreciates the compact layout of Focus 1001. This was posted on deskthority a while back, I cant recall the original poster's name. But you can find the whole album here.

I'm definitely in for one. If there's any room for suggestions, I would like to see the vertical separation to have the same thickness as the the horizontal separation. Right now the vertical line is a bit too thick for my taste.

Offline bball2

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 22:03:13 »
Looks amazing!

Offline Shados

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 00:37:43 »
I really like this. The curve above the numpad is great. I'm not sure what I'd use two lots of indicators LEDs for, but if you make them separately controllable / use an open-source firmware, I'm sure I'll find a good use for them.

I would suggest shipping with two interchangeable face-plates for the right-hand indicator LEDs, one in the plate colour (as you have shown), and one in the case colour.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 04:33:24 »
Does the numpad area cover a layout like this;

https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/kish.jpg
(obviously with a bit more keys on the side and top :P)

Looking at the layout options 2x 1u bottom row is possible but your render says otherwise ;)

Offline Theswetiyeti

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:24:15 »
I am very interested love this layout

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 02:07:25 »
I really like this. The curve above the numpad is great. I'm not sure what I'd use two lots of indicators LEDs for, but if you make them separately controllable / use an open-source firmware, I'm sure I'll find a good use for them.

I would suggest shipping with two interchangeable face-plates for the right-hand indicator LEDs, one in the plate colour (as you have shown), and one in the case colour.
Oops~ my fault...
I didn't post the details,there is only one light; left is for decoration, they are not indicators.

Wait a minute, I'll update a few rendering

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 02:26:33 »
Can't say I'm very interested in full size keyboards anymore but holy **** this is nice! You can count me interested!

Offline Shados

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 19:15:21 »

Oops~ my fault...
I didn't post the details,there is only one light; left is for decoration, they are not indicators.

Well then, you should definitely consider making the left lot into actual LED indicators -- they could be used to e.g. show the current layer.

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 00:44:02 »

Oops~ my fault...

Well then, you should definitely consider making the left lot into actual LED indicators -- they could be used to e.g. show the current layer.
wow!This is really a good idea, I try to change it.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 14:07:39 »
This looks fantastic! I've been a huge fan of 75% + Numpad for a long time, but don't like 96/1800 layouts and this fits the bill perfectly.

Also, I would suggest changing the name of the keyboard to something else, since most already think of GMK Oblivion keyset already, and same name on a keyboard will create confusion.

The design on back kind of reminds me of Nvidia Geforce 10-series graphics cards - anyone else see it? Not bad, just a comment.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 14:12:18 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 14:18:47 »
you would...right on...you heard the man lets get that poll up...toss up a few ideas since op clearly let a detail get away from him...thinkn regular lurker oughta be n there...jk...i joke i kid...i made the name change suggestion on an op once before also...it happens...i would suggest not holding ur breath...or start an ic...one of the perks is creative liberties with such details...just remember to stay positive...lot of negative lurkers round here

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 14:26:45 »
I think the name should stay as is.

It goes nicely with this board and the logo on the bottom of the board looks sick.

It does also say custom keyboard in the title. Not sure how you'd confuse it unless all you did was choose to read Oblivion and assume it's the keyset.

Offline AIRPOTTER

• Owner of Gray Studio
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 08:17:22 »
Can't say I'm very interested in full size keyboards anymore but holy **** this is nice! You can count me interested!
Say thks frist!I'm so glad you like this design
PS:the design inspiration from the film《Oblivion》, so I used the movie name to name the  custom keyboard directly. ;)

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 14:05:16 »
Hey now, this looks cool! It's a really interesting layout! I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.
pls gief bbv2

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 14:09:49 »
Great, now I'm torn between this and Equal mountain... /sigh so many monies.

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 06:37:56 »
wow have been looking for something like this for a while, depending on price I will def buy 0_0

Offline allancuttingedge

I'm a 100% keyboards fan, it's very novelty for me, I've never seen layout like this, I'm 9/10 in this, hope u can find a maker/factory who can make it fine! :D

Offline helix999

Really hope this one happens. I like the fact that this is a modern interpretation on a classic layout but still looks very functional. The new renders look amazing!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:39:08 by helix999 »

Offline Theswetiyeti

I love it.  I'm definitely  interacted

Offline Starston3

Personally not fan of keyboards with blockers, but i like it.

Offline runsamok

Personally not fan of keyboards with blockers, but i like it.

The blockers/WKL-only layout are a dealbreaker for me, on what otherwise seems like a really great fullsized board.

Offline vpr

The blockers/WKL-only layout are a dealbreaker for me, on what otherwise seems like a really great fullsized board.

+1 -- Add a WK layout and I may be interested.

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
I like this a lot, its pretty unique. Renders look great! Super interested.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count

He's staying true to the original layout, WK would go against that.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline vpr

He's staying true to the original layout, WK would go against that.

You say that, yet ANSI support was added and a couple other things (backspace, changes to the numpad key sizes). If he were going to stay "true" to the original layout this would be an ISO-only layout, no?

Offline tanvir175

Would you be open to offering Alps support for the PCB?

Offline gt1989

This looks really great, any idea of what the dimensions would be for the board?

Offline gt1989

Re: 【IC】Show two custom keyboard designs:Oblivion &HB85
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 15:40:25 »
I'm not really feeling this HB85, however I do love the look of Oblivion.