Author Topic: Hand-wiring an Atomic Semi-Standard  (Read 4287 times)

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
Hand-wiring an Atomic Semi-Standard
« on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:49:05 »
I'm in the process of building an Atomic (Semi-Standard) keyboard. I've had the plate for awhile, but didn't have the switches to start it. Now that I received a batch of Gaterons, I've set out to hand-wire it.

So far I've wired the rows:

99998-0

I used the diodes to connect the switches along the rows, and for the 2u keys I just soldered cut-off diode leads to extend the length and make the connections. For the spacebar I used two pieces of wire instead since the length was too long for leads.

Before I start with the columns I wanted to make sure I had the matrix right. This is what I think the matrix should be:

100000-1

The 2u buttons are connected to the left-most column they're in. The Spacebar is connected to the column where the switch is located (basically the middle). The three switches on the bottom right are connected to their closest columns (which in the case of the right-most switch is the right-most column). Instead of connecting at the bottom of the columns as is shown, I'll probably connect somewhere in the middle, maybe at the second row (which is the only row that is completely made up of 1u keys).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2015, 15:57:36 by trauring »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Hand-wiring an Atomic Semi-Standard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 08:22:35 »
So long as you know what you've done so you can assign keycodes in the firmware it doesn't really matter where you connect the switches.  There's no problem connecting in the middle of a column and a full row is probably the least confusing place to do it :)

Personally I'd be tempted to connect C1 as B1 so that every second switch from the right is in column two (and continue across the whole board - the bottom row would end at I5) as this would make it easy when doing the firmware, but most people do something like you proposed to minimise the wire mess.  I guess they have better memory than me, or maybe they use a notepad to remember what's connected where...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 11:16:43 »
...or have a nice color-coded diagram.  ;)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 13:07:25 »
Looks like very nice, clean work so far!

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 13:18:52 »
Thanks. The columns sound harder to keep "nice" and "clean" but I'm hoping...

I think I'm going to try to manually strip sections of a wire for the column connections. I suspect it will take a few attempts to get the first one right, but by the 15th It'll be easy...

The thing I haven't decided about is how to connect to the Teensy. I'm thinking about adding right-angle headers and connecting to them. I saw someone who did that with breadboard wires (with DuPont connectors) where the female connectors were connected to the right-angle headers, and the male sides were soldered to the columns and rows. It's a little clunky, but it allows the Teensy to be replaced if you want. That might be nice for experimentation.

Offline joey

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:06:50 »
This is what I did for columns:

Cut to size (ish) and pull the plastic off.

Cut the plastic up.

Re-thread the plastic!

See my thread here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67410.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:10:38 by joey »

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 14:11:55 »
Very nice. Right now I'm out of solid core wire, so I can't do that, but I'm impressed you pulled that off...

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 00:43:25 »
That's pretty good fingerwork. I tried it before and just wound up with a lot of destroyed wire.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
Re: Hand-wiring an Atomic Semi-Standard (columns now wired)
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 11:11:02 »
I've finished wiring the columns. I imagine it would have been a little easier with solid core wiring, but as I don't have any at the moment, and it would take me weeks to get, I decided to go with the stranded wire I had on hand. In any case, that's what Jack Humbert sent as part of the 'wiring kit' with the plate.

100350-0

I also added the brass spacers (before working on the columns), to make sure nothing got in the way. The spacers have heat-shrink tubing around them, although I haven't heated them up yet. I'm not sure it's really necessary. It's just there to prevent the spacers from coming into contact with any wires.

The next stage is to figure out how I'm going to connect to the Teensy. Ideally, I'd like to figure out a way to connect to it without soldering directly to it. That might not be possible do to the extra space necessary to make the wires removable. I think I mentioned I saw someone use right-angle header pins with dupont plugs to keep the teensy removable, although I think that would require sticking the Teensy in the middle of the keyboard.

The ideal location for the Teensy would seem to be under the spacebar, but that means I won't have a lot of room to wire to the side on the bottom. That might mean that the only way to fit the bottom plate to the top plate will be to use larger spacers, or to solder the teensy so it will fit under the spacebar. Until I figure exactly where the Teensy will be, I can't wire the connections to all the columns and rows, so now I guess I need to wait. I have a few parts on their way from China that will give me options to try out, like right-angle pin headers, etc. so until I get that stuff I guess I'm just going to sit and wait (unless I get too impatient and solder everything under the spacebar).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 11:27:24 »
That's really clean work on that hand wiring :). Nice job!

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 11:34:03 »
Thanks.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 14:42:21 »
Wow, very nicely done!

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 02:58:18 »
Thanks. And it's actually the first thing I've ever soldered. Of course, until I hook it up to the Teensy we won't know if I did a good job or not. I've tried testing with a multi-meter along the way, but I won't know if it works until it's all hooked up.

I really want the Teensy to be able to be disconnected without desoldering, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be without using too much space, and I might just get impatient and solder it all up.

Offline joey

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 03:30:53 »
Why do you want to be able to remove the teensy?

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 04:10:30 »
Why do you want to be able to remove the teensy?

Maybe I'll want to use this keyboard to experiment with different micro controllers at some point. Maybe the Teensy might get damaged. Who knows. I like to keep my options open.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 06:31:34 »
While I was waiting for some connectors to arrive from China, I put this keyboard on hold (and put together an ErgoDox while I was waiting). The connectors I wanted arrived today and I continued with the keyboard. First, I soldered all the wires to connect the rows and columns to the Teensy:

102683-0

and the next step is to connect those wires to the Teensy. As I've mentioned before, I like the idea of having the Teensy removable, so I came up with the following solution:

I soldered two 10-pin female connectors to the Teensy. The next step it to crimp dupont connectors to each wire, and then insert those into the matching male connectors. Then I just snap the connectors together and I have a connected keyboard...

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 04:32:09 »
Working on crimping the Dupont connectors. It's really a pain, because the connectors are so small, or because my crimping tool isn't very good, or because I'm learning to crimp as I go, or likely a combination of all three reasons...

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
Hand-wiring an Atomic Semi-Standard
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:35:54 »
Fully connected. The Teensy is removable.

Might need slightly longer spacers to fit the Teensy now. Also need to figure out how best to keep the Teensy in place.

Now I'm working on the software. I've modified the firmware code to match my matrix, but I'm having a bit of trouble compiling it. Hopefully I'll get it figured out today.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 04:01:33 by trauring »

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 04:03:22 »
One character was missing from my code that prevented it from compiling. Thanks to Jack Humbert for figuring out the problem for me.

A few keys seem not to be mapped correctly, so I'll need to review the code again. It seems mostly with the bottom row.

Offline AlexFromPanc

• Competence
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 20:36:11 »
I'm going to be starting to handwire up my own 40%'s, and I was wondering how this set-up is working out for you. Were the DuPont connectors worth the time investment? Are you happy with the wire quality? Where did you end of placing the teensy, and how did you affix it so that it didn't move? Inquiring minds want to know! ;D

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 15:24:34 »
I'm not sure yet if the Dupont connectors were worth the effort. The idea behind them was to allow me flexibility in the future, and as I haven't needed to make changes yet, I don't really know. It was also an experiment to see if I could do it, and in that sense it was worth it.

What do you mean by wire quality?

The Teensy is where it is in the picture, just slightly up so it's flush with the end of the metal plate. The pressure from the screws holding the two plates together via spacers keeps it in place pretty well.

I guess I didn't post my full-write up on my blog to this thread:

http://trauring.org/hand-wiring-a-keyboard/

You might find some useful information there.