Author Topic: Somehow My Windows 10 Installation Was 2 Years Out of Date  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Kavik

Somehow My Windows 10 Installation Was 2 Years Out of Date
« on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 10:29:00 »
When I installed the Battlefield 2042 Beta, I was greeted with an error saying my Windows build was too old, which I thought was weird since I routinely check for updates.

However, upon further investigation, I found my Window 10 Pro installation was on version 1909 (build 18042.xx or something) which is from 2019. I suppose that would explain why half the updates I tried to install always failed. I had to manually download and install version 21H1 which took about an hour and a half. I have no idea how Windows 10 versioning works, but apparently 1909 wasn't end of life yet but wasn't receiving regular updates. I suppose keeping an old version like this is for enterprise customers who need tighter version control to prevent breaking things. I don't know why my home computer didn't give me the option to install it through regular updates.

Interestingly, clicking through the error on Battlefield allowed me to play the game before updating my OS, so it apparently didn't rely on anything in the updates to run.

A few years ago, a friend had a similar issue with Windows 8. He had a ton of pop-ups and unwanted browser (and extensions thereof) and generally slow performance IIRC, and I couldn't even run a malware scanner or run updates, and it turned out it was because he'd missed a major update and couldn't download it via the normal update process. I had to scan for malware pre-boot and install the update manually, which took several hours.

Is there a good way to stay on top of this? I just assumed running Windows updates regularly would handle everything.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Somehow My Windows 10 Installation Was 2 Years Out of Date
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 11:50:21 »

download and install version 21H1 which took about an hour and a half

My memory may be distorted, but I seem to remember Windows asking to install 21H1 several times in recent months. Every time I have allowed it, and gone through the whole download/install/restart process, with seeming success. My original OS build was 19043 from spring 2020.

I have checked About/System in the Control Panel several times and found it there, yet a few weeks later it will act like it has to do it all again. If my memory is accurate, I would guess that I have done this at least 3-4 times in the past 3-4 months.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 22:33:18 »
There was an update around that time that if you missed or was rejected for some reason, compatibility or something, you would stop getting most updates.
I don't remember too many of the details but that souns like what may have happened.

This is another issue I have with forced updates, once out of the hands of users they will just assume it's working as intended.
The problem is corporations seem to take the same attitude with software and such. mark my words, some major corporation is going to completely bite the dust due to this attitude. The system will go down, the A.I. will say it's fine and they will just go about business as if everything is working until they completely collapse financially.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 11:53:17 »
My mom's computer had the same issue. It was on 1909, and I had to manually upgrade it too. Now that you mention it, I do recall the previous version, 20H1, trying to install on her computer several times and failing over a long period of time. In fact, it tried and failed again when I booted it up to install 21H1.

Given Leslieann's take on this, I guess I just need to investigate more thoroughly when something fails in the future.

Thanks for the input.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 11:45:28 »
Yesterday I got a message that my computer was not "ready" for Windows 11.

It was a solid fresh clean build from a year and a half ago with strong hardware components and a legit Windows 10 retail install, updated regularly since.

Can I realistically ignore 11 for the foreseeable future? Will it be a while before I will be forced to accept it?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 21:41:28 »
Microsoft says Win11 will not be pushed the way Win 10 was, but they also said Win10 was the last windows and you didn't have to upgrade so...
MS has said they have no intention of backing off the requirements... Other than the ways they already have...

So would I trust them on this, actually for once, yes, but that doesn't mean they won't nag you to buy a new "compatible" computer.
As for how long you can stay on Win 11, I will say the same as i said about Win 10, if you stay on Windows you WILL have to upgrade at some point. My guess would be the 2-4 year mark (whenever Win 12 comes out) or about 7 years from now when Win 10 support starts to dry up. That will probably coincide with some new tech, DX14 or some other tech gamers will 'need".

They clearly rushed this release (didn't even inform OEMs they were working on it) and botched the absolute heck out of the launch/communication (they are still selling incompatible Surface computers), they'll need time to deal with it and get things worked out in time for Win 12 before they really force it on people. Keep in mind, they've already shown the requirements are completely arbitrary by making exemptions (as if we didn't know they were anyhow) so you could still wake up to find they installed Win 11 on your system either on purpose or by accident. They do seem that incompetent.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 10:07:32 »
They clearly rushed this release (didn't even inform OEMs they were working on it) and botched the absolute heck out of the launch/communication (they are still selling incompatible Surface computers), they'll need time to deal with it and get things worked out in time for Win 12 before they really force it on people. Keep in mind, they've already shown the requirements are completely arbitrary by making exemptions (as if we didn't know they were anyhow) so you could still wake up to find they installed Win 11 on your system either on purpose or by accident. They do seem that incompetent.

Given the botched nature of the roll out so far, it seems the old adage of skipping every other Windows release applies here. I'll probably wait and see what my employer does; I was a little surprised when the company rolled out Windows 10 upgrades to everyone a few years back, but it's worked out rather well. We had a couple test machines with Windows 8 but it never progressed further than that. No word on what we'll do with Window 11 yet.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 02:58:27 »
Skipping Windows has never really worked out.
3.11 was good
95 was good
98 was good,
98 se was better
ME was bad but those with the ability switched to Win2k (intended for workstations)
XP was great
Vista 32bit was bad (horrible experience) but 64bit was fine, a but hardware heavy but otherwise fine. Unfortunately, 32bit was the norm
7 was great
8.0 as a system was good but a garbage interface
Win 8.1 was really good, other than the start menu, which was easily fixable.
I had high hopes for 10, the beta was good other than all the spying.

The problem your work had was Win 7 had reached the end-of-life, while extended, it was basically on life support. By skipping 8/8.1 they were already 1-2 versions behind and with the claim Win10 was "the last Windows" there was no holding out for the next version of Windows. Insurance, laws regarding their line of work and other standards also may have forced them to upgrade.

The idea that you have a choice in OS is an illusion.
Sure you can run it, but when something fails you can't just head down to the local shop and pick up a fresh CPU or motherboard that drops in. We still make parts for cars built in the 50's, they don't keep making old motherboards or software. What killed Windows XP more than anything else was Chrome and Firefox ending support. If they stop updates to Win 7 it's done. With Win 11 out, that will come sooner than later, I figure about a year, maaaybe 2.
For anyone still on Win 7, I give you a year before support starts to plummet to an unusable point. Not only is it beyond the 10 years support W?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More