Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2779925 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #1900 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 14:21:16 »
Right now I'm using a dyesub FC660C. Been using it as my daily driver for just over a month. I went back to using Cherry switches about a week ago, and it felt fine; until, that is, I switched back to the FC660C and suddenly knew that it was what had been missing in my life. So I may have ruined myself for cherry switches... ah well.

I do about 50% on my 660C and the other half on MX. I like going back and forth.

Offline docwlad

« Reply #1901 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 15:58:11 »
Right now I'm using a dyesub FC660C. Been using it as my daily driver for just over a month. I went back to using Cherry switches about a week ago, and it felt fine; until, that is, I switched back to the FC660C and suddenly knew that it was what had been missing in my life. So I may have ruined myself for cherry switches... ah well.

I do about 50% on my 660C and the other half on MX. I like going back and forth.

I would like to switch back and forth. And I'm sure I will; I can't imagine Topre will be as good for gaming as Cherry blacks, for example. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this keyboard  ;D

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1902 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 17:06:30 »

I would like to switch back and forth. And I'm sure I will; I can't imagine Topre will be as good for gaming as Cherry blacks, for example. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this keyboard  ;D

I didn't have any problems gaming on my 660C, but I can understand if others do.

Offline docwlad

« Reply #1903 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:00:41 »

I didn't have any problems gaming on my 660C, but I can understand if others do.

I can believe it. I just haven't tried it. I recently started a new job and haven't had much time. And, actually, now that I think about it, pretty much the only game I play with a keyboard anymore is the Binding of Isaac. Everything else I just use a controller.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:03:05 by docwlad »

Offline cruzin

« Reply #1904 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:26:48 »
Using my KUL ES-87 with clears. Love the feel of the clears so far.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #1905 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:40:07 »

I can't stand gaming on my RF 87u. Something about the tactile bump just feels wrong to me when gaming. I always have to go back to my Filco with browns. I love the 87u for typing though.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #1906 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:44:22 »

I can't stand gaming on my RF 87u. Something about the tactile bump just feels wrong to me when gaming. I always have to go back to my Filco with browns. I love the 87u for typing though.
Same, I had the 45g 104UB-Dk and found that gaming was very awkward too, I didn't mind it for games when I didn't really have to rely on my keyboard much(watch dogs, far cry,etc..) but for CS:GO I was really out sorts using it.  Absolutely loved it for everything else though!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #1907 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 20:11:13 »
Dis. :P

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 09:25:53 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #1908 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 20:12:47 »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1909 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 20:41:01 »
Still using my trusty 22mini-ex.  It's driving me crazy having one board and having to swap it between systems.

Offline claytron

• claytron.com
« Reply #1910 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 21:16:45 »
After much research, my first mechanical keyboard purchase. A lovely Poker II, two times. Blues for home and browns for work!

73474-0

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
« Reply #1911 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 21:17:29 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1912 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:56:53 »
After much research, my first mechanical keyboard purchase. A lovely Poker II, two times. Blues for home and browns for work!

(Attachment Link)

Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice keyboard to start with :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #1913 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 01:46:27 »
Poker II with mx browns and CM Quickfire stealth greens. I want another keyboard, but can't justify it since I only have a laptop and a desktop.
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #1914 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:52:45 »
Poker II with mx browns and CM Quickfire stealth greens. I want another keyboard, but can't justify it since I only have a laptop and a desktop.
What wrong with some spares, just in case?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1915 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:08:05 »
This one!

Wasd with double filcos

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #1916 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 00:57:09 »
Isn't a mkb supposed to be indestructible? Lol. How do I explain to the wife that I need 3 keyboards for 2 computers?

Offline blackbox

« Reply #1917 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:00:53 »
Isn't a mkb supposed to be indestructible? Lol. How do I explain to the wife that I need 3 keyboards for 2 computers?
I meant a spare keyboard just if youre going to eh set up a server or something :p. Or you can give one to your wife and one for you.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #1918 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:02:08 »
I used to have only a Topre keyboard at work (and a Matias quiet pro). Originally I bought it because I work in an office with sometimes as much as 3 co-workers sitting in fairly close to me. Cherry MX switches were out of the question, even with 40 AL O-rings they were just too loud. My filcos had too much "rattle and ping" for me to feel comfortable using it in that environment.

At first I was just like "Cool, topre really is a lot more quiet", but after a while I started to feel like I just enjoyed typing in the Topre keyboard so much more than on the others that I decided to sell my MX boards and replace them with Topre. My girlfriend also appreciates that the keyboard is not as loud.

Long story short, I now use Topre both at home and at work. Specifically I am writing this on a 45g Realforce 87u.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1919 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:28:38 »

i feel you, have the same issue, best tip is, save some money on the side. Buy it and tell your  wife you got it for an absurd cheap price :) If she asks you to sell the old one just tell her to sell her shoes. Problem solved :)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #1920 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:37:53 »

i feel you, have the same issue, best tip is, save some money on the side. Buy it and tell your  wife you got it for an absurd cheap price :) If she asks you to sell the old one just tell her to sell her shoes. Problem solved :)

What always worked for me is to just be open and honest about it.

God knows she also spends money on things I do not understand (she literally just spent 400 euros on a type of nail polish that you apply with a UV light or something like that). I think that as long as you can afford it and it is paid for with the income you have that is disposable, partners should not give each other a hard time when they buy something that gives them joy. Regardless of whether it is 400 euro sunglasses or a 400 euro graphics card.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #1921 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:48:05 »

Lol! I like the counter you suggested.

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #1922 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:50:24 »

God knows she also spends money on things I do not understand (she literally just spent 400 euros on a type of nail polish that you apply with a UV light or something like that). I think that as long as you can afford it and it is paid for with the income you have that is disposable, partners should not give each other a hard time when they buy something that gives them joy. Regardless of whether it is 400 euro sunglasses or a 400 euro graphics card.

That is true, but I can't convince myself that I need another keyboard---though I would like to try out the topre too.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1923 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 03:03:37 »

That is true, but I can't convince myself that I need another keyboard---though I would like to try out the topre too.

Jokes aside that is usually the real problem :) You buy this HQ keyboard that will hold for a long time and after x weeks/months you want another one. The only reply you have to her question "Why do you need another one?" is "because its fun" then you usually dont feel its necessary.

I tend to research alot. Like going to the electronics shop and try out the different switches, then sell the old stuff and  buy new.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1924 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:36:31 »

Just ask her why she needs so many pairs of shoes for two feet :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #1925 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:44:37 »
I'm currently using an IBM Displaywriter that I just got up and running thanks to xwhatsit's controller.  Loving these beamspring switches.

IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #1926 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 07:26:02 »
I'm currently using an IBM Displaywriter that I just got up and running thanks to xwhatsit's controller.  Loving these beamspring switches.

Show Image

Such a spacesaving option!
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1927 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 07:33:57 »

Show Image

Back then you didn't need to save space on your desk - the computer was the centre of the office, and they were huge so that everyone knew you have one!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #1928 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 07:41:11 »

Show Image

Back then you didn't need to save space on your desk - the computer was the centre of the office, and they were huge so that everyone knew you have one!

Yea i know :P it's just that in our current era of modern computing, it's funny to see some big booty boards like this. We tryna shrink dem boards just like we shrinked computers!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Daspartic

• IBM is love IBM is life
« Reply #1929 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 08:29:59 »

Show Image

Yea i know :P it's just that in our current era of modern computing, it's funny to see some big booty boards like this. We tryna shrink dem boards just like we shrinked computers!

Lmao, yeah this thing is HUGE, but feels so amazingly sturdy and it actually fits in my keyboard tray so it takes up zero space on my desk.  I also like having a variety of different sizes so I'll probably pick up a hhkb or poker 2 next to have a nice 60% keyboard to use.
IBM Displaywriter (82 key) | IBM Model F 4704 (107 key) |  IBM Model F AT x3 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 3104 x2 | IBM 6112884 (Green Tee mount Alps) | Realforce 87u (55g) | IBM Model M 1390131 x2 | IBM Model M (1391401 '88) | Leopold FC500R (MX Browns) | Wang (725-5971) (Salmon Alps) | Acer 6011 (SKCM Blue Alps) | White Fox (65 g Zealios) | XMIT keyboard (Hall Effect)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #1930 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 08:38:28 »

Show Image

Lmao, yeah this thing is HUGE, but feels so amazingly sturdy and it actually fits in my keyboard tray so it takes up zero space on my desk.  I also like having a variety of different sizes so I'll probably pick up a hhkb or poker 2 next to have a nice 60% keyboard to use.

Yea i currently have a Poker II, the programmable functions layer simply outshines most of the other boards i've tried. Programmable functions permits quick form filling or quick repetitive inputs (PN + H/I/B *wait* + H/C/W *wait* - > inputs my hotmail OR my iCloud OR my Bombardier company email and then my home OR cell OR work phone).

Also 60% are awesome cause when you start to understand them properly you realised it was properly engineered not to lack any inputs, and those that you would need once in a while are still available via standard FN layer.

Macros are so cool people just believe u a 1337 level 80 wizurd.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #1931 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 18:09:56 »

Show Image

That's pretty sweet.  You should upload a sound sample of the beamsprings.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1932 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 20:33:41 »

Show Image

Nice, awesome to see you got it working.

Offline ahshwebah

« Reply #1933 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:52:16 »
using a Razor Blackwidow Ultimate at the moment.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1934 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:09:45 »

One of the older ones with Cherry switches, or a newer one with Kailh switches?

Offline ahshwebah

« Reply #1935 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:18:44 »

One of the older ones with Cherry switches, or a newer one with Kailh switches?
newer. i had an older one before that i sold to a friend. didn't know these had Kailh switches.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #1936 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 22:40:18 »

it's made a comeback.
I love Elzy

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #1937 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 23:06:09 »
Sadly Only a BW ultimate 2013.... In the market for something with whites or blues. (Ducky YOTS or yellow edition)

Offline paobit

« Reply #1938 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 01:28:44 »
HEHE if anyone has heard of it...Aula Dragon Deep gaming keyboard (mx blacks). Had a sale that came bundled with my monitor. It's so ugly don't look it up

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #1939 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 01:32:24 »
Sadly Only a BW ultimate 2013.... In the market for something with whites or blues. (Ducky YOTS or yellow edition)

I see alot of sad :/

Offline rush340

« Reply #1940 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:05:04 »
Just an HHKB Pro2 for the last few years :)

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #1941 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:17:01 »

Indeed.... maybe I should get a topre board instead.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #1942 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:18:19 »

Indeed.... maybe I should get a topre board instead.

You should. =)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline cruzin

« Reply #1943 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:21:07 »
I'm trying out a Kinesis Advantage I just bought off of Craigslist.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Lammie

« Reply #1944 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 07:29:48 »
Good ol' cheapo Dell SK-8115 :)
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #1945 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:26:10 »
Currently using a KBParadise V60 Mini Cherry Green on on my main rig, another KBParadise V60 Mini Cherry White on my 3rd rig, a CM Storm Trigger Cherry Green on my 2nd rig, also have a Leopold FC660C hooked up to my 4th rig.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1946 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:40:26 »
this one

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1947 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:45:26 »

Offline ahshwebah

« Reply #1948 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 18:32:01 »
i'm finally borrowing my friend's Corsair and i'm really digging these reds. especially like how quiet they are.

Offline Tio2

« Reply #1949 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 00:15:28 »
Home: Rosewill RK-9000 (MX blues) and Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW
Work: Dell SK-8125.

I'm probably going back to the IBM Model M sooner or later once I find my PS/2->USB adapter - the MX blues sound a little thin, and I love the ping of the Model M.
RK-9000I
IBM Model M 52G9658
Various Alps boards