Author Topic: Tipro Switch Try  (Read 11265 times)

Offline GeorgeK

Tipro Switch Try
« on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 10:57:45 »
Here are a few snaps of the switch-try I made:

It started life as a nasty used Tipro I bought to harvest a load of switches from... 

After a good clean, sand and spray paint (including the plate) it now lives on my desk and serves as a place for my (ever increasing) collection of novelty keycaps :D
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
Re: Tipro Switch Try
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 11:22:00 »
Best one I've seen man - nice job there. It's hella big though! Hahah! No international shipping....
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 11:25:18 »
I have one of these as well they are beastly.  Did yours have the credit card swipe on the side? If so is there an easy way to take it off?

Without caps it makes them look huge, but they don't seem so big irl unless its just me.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 11:34:14 »
Cheers guys!  It is fairly big - it took me a while to decide what was going to take up 16 columns of switches!  Size wise it's shorter but deeper than a Filco TKL (if that makes sense.)  Even with the pcb taken out it still weighs a ton... Mine did have the credit card swipe on the side - once you take the back of each off the swipe just slides off - it leaves a big gap in the right hand side of the board but you can take the side off the swipe and then use that as the new right hand side of the board :D
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:46:43 »
I have one of these as well they are beastly.  Did yours have the credit card swipe on the side? If so is there an easy way to take it off?

Without caps it makes them look huge, but they don't seem so big irl unless its just me.

I don't know if it's true for FREE modules, but the old MID modules are workable for this. You just have to take the bottom of the case off of both sides, remove the plastic piece that joins them together, and move the endpiece from the card reader to the now-empty side of the keyboard module. It's pretty simple if you just look at it.

Again, I don't know if this applies to the newer FREE modules, so someone else might have to verify if it's the same.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:50:35 »
Sweet! You should have had a custom plate made with the phantom style cutouts :P
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Glissant

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:06:03 »
Wow! Nice work indeed. You have any more of those lock switches, and would you like to part with one or two? ;).

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:29:57 »
Thanks guys!  Those are the only two locks I have unfortunately... I got them from 7bit over at DT - according to his most recent list he does have 4 in stock :D

Offline Glissant

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 12:48:42 »
Excellent. Where did you see his stock? I went over there but only found him selling some keyboards, his round4 leftovers and his switch buy that had lock switches on the pre-order list. Maybe I should have read the switch thread some more, but I got busy modifying my GH60.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:01:48 »
If you look in his switch thread (http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-mx-taking-pre-orders-t2760-1110.html) on the last page - his post on 16th March shows what he currently has in stock which includes 4 MXLOCK/NW :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:22:15 »
This looks amazing and adds yet another keyboard that I'd love to add to my collection for the exact same purpose - novelty key caps!

Really nice job GeorgeK

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:20:15 »
Follow-up question... what model is that, or better yet, what models should I be keeping an eye out for?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:27:35 »
Follow-up question... what model is that, or better yet, what models should I be keeping an eye out for?

Do you actually want to use it as a keyboard? If so, then you'll need a 32 bit system like XP to program it if the keyboard is PS2 based. If you only have access to a 64 bit OS, then you'll need a USB based Tipro.

If it's just for display, SP has some mounting system for displaying caps

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:32:47 »

Do you actually want to use it as a keyboard? If so, then you'll need a 32 bit system like XP to program it if the keyboard is PS2 based. If you only have access to a 64 bit OS, then you'll need a USB based Tipro.

If it's just for display, SP has some mounting system for displaying caps

Ideally, I'd like it work, so it sounds like I'll need a USB one. Thanks!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:41:07 »
Thanks, GeorgeK :). Just got four locks and 80 clears xD. Damn you and bless you at the same time :)).

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:45:04 »

This is the one I bought but as The_Beast has said it's PS2 not USB. I've not actually put the PCB back in as 1) I wanted the ability to remove switches easily and 2) I couldn't be a***d! :p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Tipro-128-Key-Programmable-Keyboard-PS-2-with-Magnetic-stripe-card-reader-/121068195062

Thanks, GeorgeK :). Just got four locks and 80 clears xD. Damn you and bless you at the same time :)).

More than welcome!

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 17:03:25 »
GeorgeK would have a MID module, then. I got one of the other boards in that sale.

I'd be curious if your module can be programmed, GeorgeK, as I have been having issues with mine.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 12:35:32 »
I haven't tried to be honest & I won't be able to (as part of the PCB is now on another continent :p) - The_Beast above mentions that you'd need a 32-bit OS to do this anyway (which I wouldn't be able to do on my rig anyway)

GK

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 12:40:25 »
There is no work around to make a PS2 Tipro work on a 64 bit OS. You can't sand box and 32 bit windows/linux in a 64bit install because IT KNOW'S IT'S NOT ON A 32 BIT SYSTEM!

PS2 = 32bit and never a 64bit
USB = 64bit (I assume 32bit as well, but couldn't try)

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 13:02:43 »
Oh no, I've tried doing it on a 32-bit Win 7. I have my hands on XP now, will be giving that a shot some time this week. Yeah, I knew this wasn't going to work any way but native 32-bit Windows. ChangeMe sees the keyboard in Win7, but refuses to update the keyboard.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 13:16:05 »
Oh no, I've tried doing it on a 32-bit Win 7. I have my hands on XP now, will be giving that a shot some time this week. Yeah, I knew this wasn't going to work any way but native 32-bit Windows. ChangeMe sees the keyboard in Win7, but refuses to update the keyboard.
I need to do an 'Update and Verify', not only the 'Update'.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 13:25:11 »
I need to do an 'Update and Verify', not only the 'Update'.

This also fails. :( I'll see if I can't get it working in XP.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:35:44 »
Just realised I never posted a pic of this as it is from day-to-day - as somewhere to keep my novelty caps :p

Actually got another one of these coming soon (today or tomorrow I'd guess) to harvest the switches from - might fix it up like this one too if anyone wants to buy it...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 14:28:10 »
Just realised I never posted a pic of this as it is from day-to-day - as somewhere to keep my novelty caps :p

Show Image

Actually got another one of these coming soon (today or tomorrow I'd guess) to harvest the switches from - might fix it up like this one too if anyone wants to buy it...

nice collection you've got their especially like that batman key!

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 14:25:06 »
Thanks! I'm not entirely sure where the batman keycap was from originally as I bought it from a friend (although if I had to guess then it would be qwerkeys but don't hold me to that!)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 16:02:02 »

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 18:54:51 »
Thanks! I'm not entirely sure where the batman keycap was from originally as I bought it from a friend (although if I had to guess then it would be qwerkeys but don't hold me to that!)

Which switches do you have on there and where did you get them all?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 07:34:53 »
I'm gonna guess here:

MX Green
MX Ghetto Green
MX White
MX Blue
MX Grey (tactile)
MX Clear
Mx Ergo Clear 62g
MX Ergo Clear 65g
MX Brown
MX Grey (linear)
MX Black
MX Red
MX Vintage Black (?)
MX Lock

Probably from 7bit's group buys or just collected over time via classifieds etc.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 05:03:23 »

I'm gonna guess here:

MX Green Correct!
MX Ghetto Green Correct!
MX White Correct!
MX Blue Correct!
MX Grey (tactile) Correct!
MX Clear Correct!
Mx Ergo Clear 62g Unsure :S - I'd call these Panda Clears (Clears with a blacks spring)
MX Ergo Clear 65g Correct! (sort of - these are clears with red springs)
MX Brown Correct!
MX Grey (linear) Correct!
MX Black Correct!
MX Red Correct!
MX Vintage Black (?) Incorrect :( - Ghetto reds
MX Lock Correct!

Probably from 7bit's group buys or just collected over time via classifieds etc. Correct!

As above - BlueBär nailed it (almost...) - I got most of them through 7bit but the greens and blacks through classifieds / harvesting them

The last 3 rows are just blacks - I couldn't come up with 16 varieties of switches so I thought that 13 would have to do!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 07:11:46 »
Not too bad ;)
So the question is of course which of these switches do you like the most/the least?

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 22:09:52 »
Here are a few snaps of the switch-try I made:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It started life as a nasty used Tipro I bought to harvest a load of switches from... 

After a good clean, sand and spray paint (including the plate) it now lives on my desk and serves as a place for my (ever increasing) collection of novelty keycaps :D

Looks nice!!! :)