Author Topic: why do they make keyboards with keypads anymore?  (Read 10700 times)

Offline Shyfe

why do they make keyboards with keypads anymore?
« on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 22:09:27 »
i mean after like 20 years surely someone would have noticed that no one actually uses these and they could make even more money if they sold them separately. i would say that people would also pay more for them but im not so sure that would be the case if tenkeyless was the norm.

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:04:48 »
Quote from: Shyfe;109032
i mean after like 20 years surely someone would have noticed that no one actually uses these and they could make even more money if they sold them separately. i would say that people would also pay more for them but im not so sure that would be the case if tenkeyless was the norm.

Although a tenkeyless keyboard did cross my mind,  I don't necessarily agree with what you said. I think there are more people who actually use them than people who don't. If you code for a living, maybe you won't use the numerical keypad a lot, but there are a lot of jobs out there which still require them. For example, consider a manufacturing company. Such a company may have an IT department where the numerical keypads don't get used a lot. But, it will also have a credit department, a supply chain department, an accounting department, etc. These departments will use the numerical pad a lot because their employees spend more of their time entering numbers than anything else.

I think the same line of thinking applies to a lot of home users. Nowadays, most home users use their computers for pretty much everything from surfing to budgeting to banking. Entering a series of numbers with the decimal point or using the calculator intensively without the numerical keyboard is not the most pleasant thing to do.

From the computer manufacturers stand point, none of them want to take a risk of offering a tenkeyless keyboard because they may lose some sales. Most end users prefer to have more even if they may not need it just in case. My father likes to say that you can fit the content of a small fridge in a big fridge, but not the other way around.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:21:40 »
surely people have realized that it's hard to center your keyboard and be centered to the monitor at the same time.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:30:59 »
Quote from: Shyfe;109042
surely people have realized that it's hard to center your keyboard and be centered to the monitor at the same time.

True. This is why I centre the main part of my keyboard vis-à-vis my monitor. This pushes my mouse away from me which made me consider a tenkeyless keyboard. But for people who really need the numerical keypads, this is the price to pay. Imagine entering numbers all day long and everyday using the number rows. It would not be very efficient, would it?

It's worse for 17" laptops with full-size keyboards. On these, you cannot move the keyboards.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:35:41 »
it would be better if everyone purchased their own keypad as if you were a righty, you can place it your keypad on the left and thus have a centered keyboard.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:43:16 »
Quote from: Shyfe;109046
it would be better if everyone purchased their own keypad as if you were a righty, you can place it your keypad on the left and thus have a centered keyboard.

You're very persistent. I grant you that LOL. The tenkeyless would be a nightmare for the French where to enter number using the numerical keypad require the use of the SHIFT key.

True, purchasing a separate numerical keypads has its benefits. But, if most people are not willing to purchase a good keyboard and are perfectly happy with the ones which came with their computers, how many would be willing to buy a separate numerical keypad which is not cheap? Also, a separate numerical keypad means more wire which people seem to hate. And, from the manufacturers perspective, if everyone was selling a tenkeyless keyboard, offering one with a numerical keypad will set them aside and attract sales. The others would follow the idea.

Edit: And from a business point of view, cutting cost is a very big objective. One separate numerical keypad per user can add up in terms of $.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:46:04 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:43:59 »
Quote from: kishy;109048
I have actually thought about a design where keyboards could have sort of a slot on both ends, allowing you to slide on the numpad to either side, or leave it out entirely if you wanted. This would be the best of all worlds, really.

I think Microsoft has one such model, but it's a rubber dome.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 August 2009, 23:50:52 »
All of my M4's came with separate numpads which can easily be placed on either side of the keyboard.

Offline shrap

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:04:13 »
Most people do not care about ergonomics, or how centered their keyboard is to their monitor. They will care more about a company "taking away" their numeric keypad, even though these people don't use them very often.

Keep in mind that most people's full size keyboards cost less than the separate numeric keypads they sell for notebook owners.

Offline cmr

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:08:17 »
i like having a numeric keypad. i use it daily.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:12:48 »
even better would be both the arrow keys and keypad on the left side. most people are righties so this would appeal to the mass market if they just explained it a little as most people probably dont even realize they aren't centered.

Offline cmr

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:14:20 »
no, man, then i would have to reach across with my right hand to operate the numpad and arrow keys.

Offline Shyfe

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:15:53 »
or just use your left hand.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:23:55 »
I'm beginning to think the best solution for full-sized keyboards is to keep the num pad on the right but move the navigation keys to the left. It isn't the best layout, but is likely to be the only compromise the public wouldn't be up in arms over.

Offline cmr

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:36:11 »
no, i don't want to use my left hand for any of that, just leave it alone........

Offline Manyak

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:38:22 »
Quote from: Rajagra;109061
I'm beginning to think the best solution for full-sized keyboards is to keep the num pad on the right but move the navigation keys to the left. It isn't the best layout, but is likely to be the only compromise the public wouldn't be up in arms over.

I agree with this, and also include a second enter key on the left.

This way all shortcuts are in direct reach of your left hand as you're browsing the web. Your right hand on the mouse and your left hand on the navigation cluster
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline Shuki

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 00:46:02 »
I need the keypad in a lot of games that I play.

Offline kode

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 02:12:12 »
For inputting numbers, I like the numpad a whole lot more than the numrow. When I log into my bank and make payments, for example, or when I shop online and need to input my debit card number, and so on. So for me it's very useful. It's not very much in the way for me when I don't use it either.

Also, I more or less only use the mouse when browsing the internets, but when I do, it's there on the left side of the keyboard (or the right, in some cases, it really doesn't matter much to me).

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 04:42:24 »
I know that when they took floppy drives out of the Macintosh, I thought it was a bad idea. An internal floppy drive for a PC costs perhaps $10, and if the manufacturer leaves it out, you can easily add one on many desktop models. With a Macintosh, external add-on floppy drives were at prices like $30-$100. Add-on numeric keypads, similarly, would be likely to be expensive.

Also, there are various ways to arrange the keyboard to be more compact even without removing the numeric keypad, and those haven't proven all that popular either.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 04:49:05 »
A Great example for that (at least in my opinion) is the G80-1800 or G81-1800.

You don't have to abdicate something and everything is in good reach. I really like this layout, but they are only available with MY- and black MX-switches.
(Or you have to search a lot in Asia.)
\\Cherry:
*G80-1800, G80-3700, G80-1000, G80-1501, G80-2550,
*G81-8308, G81-1800, G81-1000, G84-4100, G84-4700

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 08:42:31 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;109086

This. I would kill for a G80-1800 with brown switches, especially if it didn't cost me a metric a*s-ton of cash to get it.

C'mon, majestouch, carry them for the Cherry lovers here.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 09:38:16 »
I would take a guess at the reason being momentum.

As someone else said, most people don't care about ergonomics.

The only reason to ever really use the numeric pad is to enter numbers when you don't have both hand available (like if the data entry person is talking on the phone). Other than that it is considered "healthier" to use the numbers on the top row.

Think about how old our input devices are in the first place. The qwerty layout was invented in the 1870's, despite the studies that seem to indicate (although not prove) that colemak and dvorak layouts are more comfortable/healthier.

The mouse was invented in the 70's yet touchpads and trackballs take up less space on the desk, and are considered to be the better alternatives for people that suffer from RSI.

The point being, humans are resistant to change, which is the reason why full keyboards, in the qwerty format as well as the mouse will be around for a very long time.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 12:13:15 »

I would like this layout. Entering data horizontally in Excel would be so much easier. Right now, I using my left hand for the arrow keys and my right hand for the numerical keypad anyway.

The bottom line is, the manufacturers look at what the majority wants. Take a good random sample of users and ask who would prefer to have a tenkeyless keyboard. You'll have to look hard to find one. I've done a test around in the office and I have yet to find one person who would like a tenkeyless keyboard.

Like someone else has pointed out, we are very resistant to change. Otherwise, Dvorak would be the layout of choice. That being said, resistance to change is not always a bad thing. Imagine if there were 5 keyboards layout which are equally popular. You might not get the layout you want wth the switches you want. Right now, in most cases, the layout stays the same and you can pretty much get any switch you want.

Edit: We are probably some of the relatively very people who ask think about keyboards that much and who think about a better layout based on our own experience. But, the truth is most people don't care about keyboards. For most people a keyboard is a keyboard, as long as they can type on it, they are  happy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2009, 12:17:24 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 12:44:24 »

Just thinking about it, you could make a similar arrangement with a Model F - you could map the F-keys on the left to arrow keys and the 'Home/End etc' block, and maybe go HHKB style by making the Caps lock an Fn modifier so that you'd get F keys with the number keys along the top.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 14:31:45 »
I must be crazy...I've got an additional numpad on my computer (although it's 32 keys, with the right keyboard block, basically...) because the Model F doesn't have discrete arrow keys...and it has the math functions in the normal positions.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 16:45:45 »
I must have my Numpad.

And what's all this "centering" of the keyboard. As long as it's there or thereabouts, what's the problem?

Seriously... I would say at the moment, my screen center is lined up with the QAZ row on my Keyboard...

But, I am used to multiple (3) monitor setups, so typing on a non-centered screen isn't a biggie for me.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:08:33 »
There is no problem centering it, but it consumes space probably needed for more freely mouse control.

So you have a larger distance between your main keyboard work area and the mouse.
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline GreeN

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:14:29 »
I use the Num pad religiously at work for tweaking all our orders and stock adjustments (I work in a supermarket!). I'd look like I was playing whack-a-mole if I tried using the Num row as fast as I can use the pad!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:32:55 »
I just don't get it...what's so bad about a number pad? 99.99% of computer users prefer the number pad. It makes data entry much easier.

Personally, I think the "ten-key-less" keyboards have a pretty lousy layout...why not just go back to the AT layout and take out the navigation keys which are already integrated into the number pad? That way, people with certain ergonomic needs could use the number pad when they need it but still have a mouse where they want.

Or, just use the mouse with your left hand. That doesn't cost $150...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:34:51 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;109248
99.99% of computer users prefer the number pad.

I'd love to know where you got that number...

Personally, I think the "ten-key-less" keyboards have a pretty lousy layout...why not just go back to the AT layout and take out the navigation keys which are already integrated into the number pad?

Trust me, that layout is less than ideal when you actually have to use it.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:38:30 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;109248
why not just go back to the AT layout and take out the navigation keys which are already integrated into the number pad?

I agree with this.  There was a thread started perhaps 1-2 months ago about why there aren't more "nav-less" keyboards, and that you can still get a condensed layout without having to sacrifice the numpad.  That really struck a chord with me.

While I don't use the numpad much, I appreciate/prefer the functional elegance of having a dual-purpose block of keys that can accomplish either task.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:39:29 »
Quote from: ch_123;109250

Trust issues notwithstanding, can you illustrate why this is the case?

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:42:06 »
Whatever. I know many people having a numpad but don't use it. They don't care as much as we do either.

I use the numpad at work more than the normal Layout. I use this thing
too.

So I have a really big keyboard (at work I use a G81-3000 aircraft carrier) between my mouse and my Space Pilot. I end up using only a G84-4100 with programmed CTRL-Layer for hotkeys, the Navigator and my mouse.

I'm using it at 400DPI so maybe that is a problem because I need space for handling it.

If I had a trackball that wouldn't be that much of a problem. Just can't ask my boss for a kensington trackball at the moment. Logitech is crap.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:46:15 by Bollwerk »
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:47:38 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;109241
There is no problem centering it, but it consumes space probably needed for more freely mouse control.

So you have a larger distance between your main keyboard work area and the mouse.

right, gotcha...

I avoid tyhat one too... my mouse sits above my keyboard...

Yeah, I'm weird...:wink:
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:48:44 »
Quote from: megarat;109253

I say this based on usage of my Model F which has the aforementioned arrow-less arrangement. It's usable, but I find that constantly turning on/off numlock is a bit irritating. As a consequence of getting a laptop and using that a lot, I became acclimatized to entering numers in the main block of the keyboard, with the consequence that I now just use my Model F as a sort of pseudo-tenkeyless with the numlock off all the time.

Obviously YMMV, but my point is that the 'ignorant masses' will probably adjust to living without a numpad than having to deal with turning numlock on and off.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 17:56:28 »
Quote from: megarat;109253

The inverted-T arrows are much easier to hit while touch-typing, I guess. It's a shame the numeric 5 key doesn't act as down-arrow, that would help a bit. (I bet that somebody, somewhere would find a way to complain about that!)

Just can't ask my boss for a kensington trackball at the moment. Logitech is crap.

The cheapest ones - Kensington and Logitech - are surprisingly good. Low in features, but what they can do, they do well.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 19:58:09 »

It may not be 99.9%, but I think more people prefer a numerical keypad over not having one. I see many users who connect a keyboard to their laptops because of this. To them it's a cheaper solution than getting a numerical keypad. If the numerical keypad was that useless, I'm pretty sure, keyboard manufacturers would stop including them. Think of it for a minute, the numerical keypad requires material. Every 4-5 of them use the same amount of plastic a tenkeyless keyboard. I would think that companies like HP and Dell which sell millions of computers would like to cut cost and not offering the numerical keypad. If they are still offering it, there must be a reason.

Offline cmr

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 20:02:00 »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 20:02:09 »
A place where a tenkeyless will probably never become the norm is in the banking business. Imagine a bank employee using a tenkeyless keyboard all day long...I would hate to be one such employee.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 20:22:00 »

I have an AT-style keyboard and use it on my Windows 95 computer. I really don't mind it since I like the navigation keys on the number pad better anyway.

I must admit I don't know if my statistic is perfect, but it's pretty accurate. Most people I know who use computers use the number pad.

And, if you don't happen to like the number pad, you can always buy a keyboard without one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2009, 20:24:24 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 22:24:01 »
Quote from: ripster;109306
Well, I hate to spoil this numpad support group thread but....

I really appreciate the extra room.

I'm not a supporter nor a hater of the numpad. The question of the OP was why have the manufacturers not realise that the numpad is not being used. I was just giving some reasons explaining why. If we don't look at all the users, then we may not see why. When I was coding for a living, I did not use the numerical keypad everyday, but I did use it a lot at times. But, I would say that I could live without one. However, my job has changed and I have had the chance to observe many different type of users and have seen that the numerical keypad is here to stay because some people do use it a lot.

Offline cmr

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 12 August 2009, 23:28:15 »
besides, it's not as though there aren't major manufacturers experimenting with removing the numpad:

and of course this one is a piece of crap, but for those who want a good keyboard there are plenty of options without a numpad.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 04:23:51 »
Keyboard for the ignorant masses could be cheper without a numpad and bankers could use an extra numpad like the G80-3700 for example.

It is just better tu use because you have backslash and ESC and such things directly above it. It is programmable too even without software and it uses 4 Layers. On one Layer you can switch between [,] [.] [00] and [000] for decimal separator.

I can't thing of a better way for heavyusers, my included. (Ok, maybe MX-browns istead of blacks.)
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 06:39:03 »
If removing te number pad was a success, computer manufacturers would have done that LONG ago.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 07:20:41 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;109398
If removing te number pad was a success, computer manufacturers would have done that LONG ago.

What you are saying implies that it was unsuccessful, which begs the question - where has it been done before outside of laptops?

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 08:32:27 »
Quote from: ripster;109365
I think numpad boards are here to stay.  The question why more manufacturers don't go for the extra bucks and make smaller keyboards is an interesting one though.

I think there are more factors at work on this issue. Sometimes, once you given people an option, it can become impossible to take it away without some kind of price to pay. After having given people the QWERTY layout, I think it's safe to say that there will be not big manufacturer which will start offering DVORAK instead.  The same applies to AZERTY keyboard layout in France.

Also, there is not just one manufacturer, so none of them want to take any risk. I think one of the very few players in the computer industry which has been brave enough to force its views on consumers has been Apple.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 08:37:14 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;109290
If the numerical keypad was that useless, I'm pretty sure, keyboard manufacturers would stop including them.

Just like adopting QWERTY right? :) I think with keyboards, not having it as a general keyboard would throw people off. A lot of people here have adopted the idea that it's ok not to have it, and while data entry might be really nice and cool, even entry level front end developer jobs (and I'm talking very entry level...no unobtrusiveness, no accessibility, no validation, etc) won't need the number pad. I'm on a computer for more than 12 hours a day, and have been for the passed 8 years, and the only thing I've "missed" since I switched to my HHKB is by hitting win+r, quickly typing in 'calc' and doing some quick math stuff with the number pad (and even then I still get it done, it's just a little slower). If my main job was data entry, then sure, I'd probably score a number pad. But it's not, in fact short of accountants, or dead end data plugging or converting big stacks of paper to a digital format (no offense if that's anyone's job), it's not really quite all that valuable.

I honestly think normal people's (not us) first reaction would be "wait...so I'm paying how much for half a keyboard?" and maybe for a lot of companies like Logitech and Microsoft, retooling for tenkeyless models wouldn't really be all that valuable in the end. Much better to just design the keyboard with it than have people gripe about it missing.

On top of all this, it's very tough to convince people that, if you're not using it, why have it? The way I type and navigate with my mouse has completely changed since I went to a Happy Hacking. I no longer have to type with my wrists off center. And I no longer have to adjust the pivot of my right elbow to reach my mouse. Everything just feels much more natural. It's not one of those "hmm, yes I can see that I should give it a try", it's more about just getting a tenkeyless model, and if you think you can really survive without it, then try to look optimistically at the benefits.

And if you're an accounting, or excel data entry PROFESSIONAL, or whatever else that would use the number pad, wouldn't you want an external one anyways? Being as it's probably a hell of a lot more comfortable having that positioned somewhere else than to the right of arrows?

I think people are just afraid of changing a layout too much because of it's familiarity, and losing it would make them work slower or less inefficient. Although, I can probably tell for the rare time that I would need the number pad, I save much more time by traveling less from my keyboard to mouse now that it's so close.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 08:43:35 »
It's actually very telling about people using keyboards in the first place. Almost like a "fear" of change. Something like Colemak or Dvorak would suit fast typers (especially if they're writers), or data entry. Yet, that doesn't really seem to convince a lot of people. Maybe because it's easier to unlearn having a numpad than it is to restructure how you type.

I think in the end people are accustomed to keyboards coming with certain things. I've read reviews on crappy rubber domes where people complained how their previous keyboard had a volume knob and their current one doesn't. I can't imagine the type of problems not having a numpad would have. Although, if they made the tenkeyless models cheaper like they do with mechanicals, it would be worth it. Instead, most normal people resort to scissor switch laptop style keyboards for their non numpad compact needs. Take a look at airplane cockpit simulators. Almost all of them are dealing with a space crunch and either have an awkwardly huge keyboard in the way, or they've moved onto something more compact.

I think for Logitech and Microsoft to cover the costs of retooling, they'd have to charge MORE for a tenkeyless, rather than charging less. And no sane person (ie. not us) is going to pay more for less...especially when it comes to something as simple as a keyboard.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 09:37:29 »
Quote from: o2dazone;109415

I think people are just afraid of changing a layout too much because of it's familiarity, and losing it would make them work slower or less inefficient. Although, I can probably tell for the rare time that I would need the number pad, I save much more time by traveling less from my keyboard to mouse now that it's so close.

I would think that fear of change plays a big role for sure. I would probably get a numerical keypad if I was working exclusively on a laptop. Every night, I systematically record all the expenses I've made during the day as well as the ones made by my wife. I can get by without a numpad, but it's certainly more comfortable and faster with one.

I think for Logitech and Microsoft to cover the costs of retooling, they'd have to charge MORE for a tenkeyless, rather than charging less. And no sane person (ie. not us) is going to pay more for less...especially when it comes to something as simple as a keyboard.

I've seen the look on my friends' faces when I told them of my intention of getting a blank tenkeyless keyboard. The look was saying something like this: "You want to pay more to get less keys, and not marking? Are you nuts or something?"

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 11:48:57 »
haha
the good thing is that whether someone likes a numpad or someone doesn't like a numpad, no one is "wrong" in any sense - thankfully we have the option to choose - different strokes for different folks

Offline shrap

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 12:03:34 »
It's sad that "fear of change" is why most things are built the way they are now. People are afraid of non-standard layouts and ergonomic/split designs, even if they've never tried them. There are people out there who say "I need an ergonomic keyboard, but it can't look weird and space-age." Because the stupid gray hunk on plastic on your desk is more important than the correction functioning of your hands, wrists, and shoulders.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 12:41:51 »
Quote from: ripster;109365
TG3 BL-82

OT (sorta):  I looked up the TG3 BL82 online just now, and it looks just like (as in completely identical to) the Deck 82.  What's up with that?  Is one of them (or both) OEM jobs?

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 12:44:40 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;109086

You don't have to abdicate something and everything is in good reach. I really like this layout, but they are only available with MY- and black MX-switches.
(Or you have to search a lot in Asia.)

I own a g80-1800 and removed the blacks for some blues, i'm still' using it. i just use auto hotkey to change the layout of home,end,pgup,etc to my liking and it becomes a very usuable keyboard.

requires about 2 hours to swap out the springs and key stems. all you need is a key puller and two flat headed precision screwdrivers and of course another keyboard with browns (in my case the compaq mx keyboard is a cheap keyboard to obtain browns from).

I have felt only slight benefits in typing and mousing but it does save a great deal of desk space. Its not the perfect layout and your forced to use control key more over the insert, delete, home as they are harder to reach but overall is very usable for a programmer like me
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 12:45:57 »
Quote from: megarat;109483
OT (sorta): I looked up the TG3 BL82 online just now, and it looks just like (as in completely identical to) the Deck 82. What's up with that? Is one of them (or both) OEM jobs?

From what I understand, Deck is the gaming subdivision of TG3.  They are one in the same.

Offline cmr

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 14:14:53 »
it's mindblowing that people are still speculating about "fear of change" and "momentum" and a whole bunch of nonsense. the reason i buy keyboards with the number pad is that i use the number pad. if you go to Fry's and look at the keyboards, there are plenty of smaller rubber-dome and scissor keyboards without number pads, right there next to the rubber-dome and scissor keyboards with number pads. the market supplies a limited number of these smaller layouts because there is only limited demand for them.

it is faster and easier to enter numbers using the number pad with my right hand. the number row is slower and less comfortable. the claim that the number row is better for numeric entry in any way strikes me as absurd, and probably straight-up fabricated.

if you don't use the number pad, fine, but seriously... this one is really, really simple. keyboard makers are shipping number pads because a lot of people use them. there's nothing complex or mysterious about it. comparisons to the failure of non-QWERTY layouts to penetrate the market are not really useful, because that's a different and unrelated issue.

i'm reminded of a co-worker of mine, whose number pad failed on his split keyboard. all day long it was "this keyboard is broken" and "i can't use this keyboard", until i finally dug up a replacement. the alphanumeric section still worked. but he had numbers to type; without the number pad, the keyboard was broken.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 14:22:01 »
relax turbo, no one is saying you're flawed for using one - we're justifying the benefits for not having one, it's pretty evident we all know what a number pad is good for

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 14:28:26 »
Quote from: ripster;109515
Some do, some don't.  Personal taste.  Like switches.

no you don't understand - if you don't use the number pad like me I swear to god I'll be really angry in my next post arghhh *shakes fist*

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 14:45:21 »
Quote from: webwit;109525
The problem is you are most likely not only inputting numbers but mixed unless you're a troll from accounting, and we don't care. So then it's a long way to the right. Also with two hands from the home row you cover much more than with one hand.

QFT. The only reason I still hold on to my numpad is because I work in retail and type a lot of UPC codes, retails, etc. If I were a writer, strict programmer, etc., I would be more indifferent to numpads.

That said, if there was an integrated numpad a la the Model M mini or Realforce, that would be fine by me.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 15:37:56 »
As I said earlier. I would use the separate numpad anyway, because - at least in case of cherry's - they are programmable and they have some very usefull extra buttons.

If I don't need it, I could place it aside and have more space. It is just a plus for flexibility and trust me, guys: There are so many noobs out there... it won't matter as much as you might think.

Some of my collegues don't use a numpad... for numbers! They don't use hotkeys and have a slow and amateurish way of using windows anyway. Those people would care more about that marketing thing... "what? I don't wanna have less..."
Rarely those people ask for some if using a notebook. So what?

If your keyboard don't has one, you can get some. If your keyboard already has a numpad, you simply just can't cut it off, if you like.
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 15:47:50 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;109414
I think it's safe to say that there will be not big manufacturer which will start offering DVORAK instead.

Well, Cherry makes a Klingon keyboard, so stranger things have happened!

Offline cmr

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 16:12:33 »
Quote from: o2dazone;109514
relax turbo, no one is saying you're flawed for using one - we're justifying the benefits for not having one, it's pretty evident we all know what a number pad is good for

except, no... the thread questions why manufacturers even still make them. i'm not confused as to why manufacturers make keyboards without them (some people prefer it like that). but to question why manufacturers still sell keyboards with the number pad? the only appropriate response to that question is incredulity.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 16:12:39 »
Quote from: ripster;109561
DSI makes the Mac Modular with movable numpad.  Somebody buy one and post a review.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5141

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline shrap

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 17:01:45 »
Quote from: Bollwerk;109554
If your keyboard don't has one, you can get some. If your keyboard already has a numpad, you simply just can't cut it off, if you like.

Removing a number pad is surprisingly easy on some rubber dome keyboards. I've done two of these, but after a while the circuit board starts to migrate and keys stop working.

Offline Bollwerk

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 17:13:20 »
I think, the headline is a bit confusing.

No one wants to anihilate all numpadkeyboards. The market just doesn't offer enough tenkeyless keyboards to create equality or a good variety.

Most people don't consider a tenkeyless and that's the problem because everyone has the idea of an keyboard offering a numpad. It is just standard.
\\Cherry:

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 20:16:05 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;109143
Like someone else has pointed out, we are very resistant to change. Otherwise, Dvorak would be the layout of choice.

True enough. But manufacturers don't need to make a special Dvorak keyboard, except for putting the keycaps in different locations - switching to Dvorak, or a German keyboard or a French keyboard is done in the operating system, which translates scan codes to ASCII differently.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 21:47:45 »
Quote from: quadibloc;109630
True enough. But manufacturers don't need to make a special Dvorak keyboard, except for putting the keycaps in different locations - switching to Dvorak, or a German keyboard or a French keyboard is done in the operating system, which translates scan codes to ASCII differently.

Somehow, I doubt that Dvorak keyboards where the keycaps have been put in different locations from the Qwerty keyboards would sell in huge quantities. Most people would look at them and say that they don't like this different (weird?) layout. I also doubt if there are many people in North America who know that there are various keyboard layouts. I was once at Staples, and heard a lady asking the sales person why she could not get some of the characters on a bilingual keyboard to work. Besides Apple, Lenovo and Dell, all laptops in Canada are not equipped with bilingual keyboards. The Staples employee had no clue although he worked in the computer section.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 13 August 2009, 23:52:39 »
Welly and Ripster,
We still do not have any of the modules for the Mac Modular yet, should start appearing soon though.  I will make sure to post something when they come in and we can try them out.
I am getting used to the Blue Cherry version, so adding the modules should be interesting.  What will be nice is the ability to make this keyboard a left or right hand version on the fly, and still have USB ports open.
Later.......

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 09:47:47 »
Quote from: cmr;109562
except, no... the thread questions why manufacturers even still make them. i'm not confused as to why manufacturers make keyboards without them (some people prefer it like that). but to question why manufacturers still sell keyboards with the number pad? the only appropriate response to that question is incredulity.

Oh sorry, I took your previous response as a counter argument to what I had just posted, and was just going off the momentum that the original thread was only slightly being derailed. Carry on folks nothing to see here.

But to address the OP's question, "for the same reason why they make them without :P"

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 14 August 2009, 09:52:43 »
Quote from: o2dazone;109713

But to address the OP's question, "for the same reason why they make them without :P"

That's a good one. It made me smile. In the same line of thinking, we can also add: "Because they can" or "Why not?" :evil:

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 23:02:27 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;109640
Besides Apple, Lenovo and Dell, all laptops in Canada are not equipped with bilingual keyboards.

I've noticed lately that many models of laptop - specifically, Toshiba, Sony, and HP - are now only available with bilingual keyboards in stores in my area of Canada. This would not be a problem if they simply added extra legends to the keys. But since the Canadian-French keyboard, like most other international keyboards, requires the extra 102nd key, it affects the layout, usually placing an extra key between Z and the left-hand shift key.

Since very few English-speaking computer users in Canada have a requirement for being able to type French on a computer keyboard (indeed, they're about as likely to be able to understand French as an American is to understand Spanish), I'm surprised this doesn't just render those laptops unsalable.

For that matter, I'm surprised that the people who do require French, or German, or Swedish, or other keyboards with an extra key, don't opt for arrangements which put that key in a more benign location. There were certainly other choices besides IBM's 101-key US arrangement from third-party suppliers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2009, 23:03:56 by quadibloc »

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 23:08:50 »
Quote from: quadibloc;110496

Since very few English-speaking computer users in Canada have a requirement for being able to type French on a computer keyboard (indeed, they're about as likely to be able to understand French as an American is to understand Spanish), I'm surprised this doesn't just render those laptops unsalable.

These laptops will not become unsalable if all manufacturers offer bilingual keyboards, which most of them do (Quebec is a really big market). But, the real reason why they are now offering bilingual keyboards is because English and French are the official languages of Canada. All civil servant must know how to speak both languages and they do. All immigration/custom agents are really bilingual. The requirement of the Federal government when issuing tender for computers is that all computers come with bilingual keyboards. From the manufaturers point of view, it makes sense to offer only one keyboard layout which will cater to both languages.

Offline redpill

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 10:53:06 »
I find using the number row to be more prone to error when entering a large column of numbers, especially when using a split keyboard and touch typing.  Usually if you are entering a large amount of numbers you're touch typing and not looking at the keyboard, so accuracy in touch typing large amounts of numbers is critical.  In my experience the orientation of the number pad makes keying in large blocks of numbers a more accurate endeavor, the enter key is closer on the number pad than if you are using the number row with your right hand, and having the + - / * available without using shift is a bonus also.

And the vertical Enter key is fun to smack.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline RiGS

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 10:59:32 »
Congrats on necroing this 2-year-old thread!
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 11:05:10 »
I spend a lot of time running spreadsheets in Excel for work, and not having a numpad on my work laptop drives me absolutely insane.
Luckily I use my desktop more often than not and my Majestouch has a delicious numpad. I really can't stress how much easier it is. I would NEVER buy a tenkeyless board.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 12:19:11 »
thread necro
Oooooohhhhhhh

Offline redpill

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 12:55:41 »
Quote from: RiGS;344956

Woops, well I don't remember how I stumbled across it.  But anyway.  Thanks :D

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 16:09:27 »
Quote from: redpill;344998
Woops, well I don't remember how I stumbled across it.  But anyway.  Thanks :D

TAKE THE BLUE PILL!

how did we get here again?
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline NeoDiNardo

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 19:23:33 »
A function key on the filco ten keyless to make some letter keys a keypad would work

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 03:48:02 »
Someone earlier in this post mentioned a manufacturing company and I do HR for one. All the stock keyboards have the number pads as most people do use them. Silly me was typing away on a laptop for years and didn't even think about a separate monitor and keyboard until just recently. Absolutely love working with dual screens - just so much more efficient. Then came the search for a perfect keyboard and I've been through a number of them. My favorites full sized Filco with red switches and my soon to arrive tenkeyless Realforce with separate number pad.  I truly do find the off center of a full sized keyboard and having the mouse further away annoying. But for times when I'm working on a spreadsheet I definitely want the number pad.  This is a crazy expense forking out the dough for keeping these separate but I think it will be worth it.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Culinia

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 04:14:00 »
Quote from: NeoDiNardo;345136
A function key on the filco ten keyless to make some letter keys a keypad would work

Yes I would hazard to say that why not replace scroll lock with such key?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 07:59:19 »
Interestingly scroll lock does something in the place people are most likely to use a numpad:  Excel.  Wish OpenOffice did it too... but anyhow, you press the scroll lock and the arrow keys move the spreadsheet instead of changing which cell is selected.  It can be very handy if you know it's there.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Zet

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 09:02:26 »
Personally I like better how a tenkeyless keyboard looks like, but I totally support that keypad is needed when you are going to enter mass numbers and stuff.
I don't support helping the company's get rich by only selling tenkeyless and forcing others to get keypads, but if you want tenkeyless just get them for yourself :)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 10:15:33 »
I found the tenkeyless the worst layout available.

An pointless variant between the true compact boards like the deck 82 and the way more useful "Filco mini" style.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 10:44:57 »
Quote from: ripster;345358

But then I have a CPA.

Damn TLAs !!! What's a CPA ?
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 11:07:29 »
Quote from: ripster;345367

Has anyone pointed out you tend to be a bit detail oriented?

Said by the inventor of the ripometer looks like a compliment....

Offline Tallon

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 22:17:33 »
Hmm - I use number pads, and they are awesome. Once I started reading this site - I started to notice how much I use the arrow keys and the number pad. Never realized it before, but I'm not sure I could ever get by with a small keyboard!

And - I am SO GLAD I ran into this site. I love typing on this Das silent. So much better than my crap keyboard at work.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 22:28:20 »
Quote from: RiGS;344956

Looks like this thread has plenty of interest 2 years later. I don't think dates on these threads mean much. I don't thing twice about it myself anymore. If the topic is interesting to someone, they should post. This site continues to grow with content and users, so it's gonna happen, better get used to it :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 01:48:32 »
i love having  the 10key. i may not use it every day but i probably use it once every 2-3 days and love. it.  now work on the other hand its a god send.  esp for typing out numerous 12 number service tickets daily.

Visit the Typing Test and try!