Author Topic: Home-made palmrest.  (Read 5106 times)

Offline boxjon

Home-made palmrest.
« on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:52:29 »

Got inspired looking at some of the pics of workstations. Went straight to Lowes and got me some plywood and sandpaper. It feels baby smooth and its only 1 inch tall, so perfect height for typing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:54:07 by boxjon »
Corsair K60 | Corsair M90

Offline modulor

Re: Home-made palmrest.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 14:59:20 »
Nice, you should stain and/or seal it next!  I'd recommend a few coats of tung oil.

Offline boxjon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:04:46 »
Nice, you should stain and/or seal it next!  I'd recommend a few coats of tung oil.

Great suggestion. I liek the smooth feel of the sanded raw wood. Would the stain eliminate that feeling?

Offline modulor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:13:53 »
Stain won't change the texture, as it gets absorbed into the wood.  Tung oil is the same way, but it will seal the wood and make it liquid-proof, plus give it a nice luster without altering the texture much (unless you apply alot).  I figured you'd prefer that better than sealing it with a clear coat or varnish. Plain tung oil will darken the wood slightly (imagine a damp look) but I think you can also get it tinted or 'with stain'.  It will also strengthen the wood.  I've used tung oil in the past for furniture and it works great. ;D

Offline boxjon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:16:02 »
Stain won't change the texture, as it gets absorbed into the wood.  Tung oil is the same way, but it will seal the wood and make it liquid-proof, plus give it a nice luster without altering the texture much (unless you apply alot).  I figured you'd prefer that better than sealing it with a clear coat or varnish. Plain tung oil will darken the wood slightly (imagine a damp look) but I think you can also get it tinted or 'with stain'.  It will also strengthen the wood.  I've used tung oil in the past for furniture and it works great. ;D

Well in that case I might be making another trip down to Lowes. Does it take long for this stuff to dry? Also would like to etch something in the corner, need to find a way to do that.

Offline boxjon

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:28:16 »
Ok, so, I have another piece of wood cut to the same dimensions. I will apply the oil this weekend. I am also planning on buying a small burning tool to etch some writing near the bottom right hand side. Made it look a bit pro. I'll post pics as soon as it's done.

Offline modulor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:30:37 »
What you'll probably find at Lowe's is 'Tung Oil Finish' which is similar, but not actually tung oil.  I had to find 100% tung oil online, but I've used both and the 'Finish' is easier to work with and will give you a similar effect.  It's basically wiping varnish, so it will still be applied and absorbed into the wood and seal the same way. Pure tung oil requires a distiller like turpentine.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil#Application

Also, I think you have to wait 24 hours between coats for either option, but you may be satisfied with just one coat.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:41:16 by modulor »

Offline modulor

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 15:40:35 »
Alssso...welcome to GeekHack! :D

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:30:10 »
Good idea, might head to my local lowes or home depot to make one myself.

Offline boxjon

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 14:49:22 »
Good idea, might head to my local lowes or home depot to make one myself.

The piece I bought was literally like 2 bucks. I have plenty left over. I used 2, 8inch pieces to prop my computer up from the carpet (better ventilation) and I still have about another 3-4 feet of it in the Jeep. Although I might used it for something today. Got that, "I gotta build something" itch I need to scratch.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 00:11:36 »
I just made my own wrist rest but I can't post the pictures. Weird. I'll try to post em tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Offline boxjon

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 07:18:09 »
I just made my own wrist rest but I can't post the pictures. Weird. I'll try to post em tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

You have to upload the pics somewhere online, like Picasa and then right click on the picture COPY THE IMAGE URL, then post it here between this . If you already knew that I apologize. It's hard to grasp know-how over the internets.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 11:33:26 »

Finally figured out how to post my pictures, thanks for the help. The width on the rest is a little short for me because I have bigger hands so I need to adjust it a little bit further away from the keyboard, which is fine. I might make another one, which would probably only cost a couple more bucks. I'm liking the wood feeling so far. I was also planning on staining it but not sure yet. I also added rubber stoppers I got from my sub woofer, which lift it the perfect height. Thanks again for the ideas and insight!  ;D

Offline boxjon

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 12:27:19 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Finally figured out how to post my pictures, thanks for the help. The width on the rest is a little short for me because I have bigger hands so I need to adjust it a little bit further away from the keyboard, which is fine. I might make another one, which would probably only cost a couple more bucks. I'm liking the wood feeling so far. I was also planning on staining it but not sure yet. I also added rubber stoppers I got from my sub woofer, which lift it the perfect height. Thanks again for the ideas and insight!  ;D

Thats a lot nicer looking then mine. lol

What keyboard is that. Looks nice.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 13:20:37 »
Thanks, its a cooler master QFR mx reds.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 13:31:42 »

This is the one I stained last night.

Offline modulor

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 17:05:23 »
Looking good!  Now I'll have to give it a go ;D

Offline boxjon

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 07:58:54 »
Yeh, stain them quick, mine now has some yellowing where my hand was, hopefully the stain covers that up a bit, if not I can easily make another.

Offline huttala

Sv: Re: Home-made palmrest.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 22:31:13 »
Yeh, stain them quick, mine now has some yellowing where my hand was, hopefully the stain covers that up a bit, if not I can easily make another.

Or you could just sand it clean before applying oil. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk.

Offline modulor

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 22:51:26 »
A dark stain would cover it up, but sealing the wood would definitely prevent this in the future.