Author Topic: [TMK] Keyboard Protocol Converter  (Read 278003 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: [TMK] Keyboard Protocol Converter
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 03:25:44 »
[IBM4704]

Added IBM4704 50-key(6019273) support on keymap editor.

http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/
https://goo.gl/95HRna

Offline TheMilkmen

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 08:34:00 »
Quick dumb question but can this converter be used on one of the ibm pingmasters? I'm just curious since I couldn't see anything other than a soarers converter for it. Thanks!

Offline Monarchial

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 12:44:35 »
Hi @Hasu

Is there any chance you're going to release an fc660m controller?

I'm working on one right now but running into some issues and was wondering if you had plans to do it.

Offline Somun

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 05:11:16 »
Just discovered this while looking to fix my Kinesis advantage, which does not work on a Windows 7 PC I have.

Hasu, can the firmware be configured to also include a PS/2 mouse interface? I am planning on adding some trackpad/touchpoint and get a composite usb device since the usb hub will be gone. Wondering if this is somehow achievable with maybe a custom TMK build? I don't need to change the keymap, btw.

Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 22:03:10 »
Just discovered this while looking to fix my Kinesis advantage, which does not work on a Windows 7 PC I have.

Hasu, can the firmware be configured to also include a PS/2 mouse interface? I am planning on adding some trackpad/touchpoint and get a composite usb device since the usb hub will be gone. Wondering if this is somehow achievable with maybe a custom TMK build? I don't need to change the keymap, btw.

Thanks.

I think it is kind of possible but it won't be simple job like editting Makefile or config.h. You will have to write some code with looking into existent codes.

Offline Somun

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 10:16:16 »

Thanks.

I think it is kind of possible but it won't be simple job like editting Makefile or config.h. You will have to write some code with looking into existent codes.

Thanks for the reply. Would not mind writing code. From a brief look, my impression is that the converter works by imitating a keyboard matrix that feeds off of the data coming from the ps2 keyboard. I know that the TMK has support for a ps2 mouse but not sure if the converter is repurposing the same code for the ps2 or how hard it would be add handling for a second one. I also need to change the USB descriptors I guess? I would appreciate any pointers / suggestions.

Thanks again.

Offline Laser

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 10:32:38 »

Sorry if this was asked already, could you describe the steps needed to add two extra buttons to the ps2_usb tmk converter? Or is there some support already?

I mean, buttons connected directly to some pins of the atmega32u4.

Thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 15:55:34 »

Sorry if this was asked already, could you describe the steps needed to add two extra buttons to the ps2_usb tmk converter? Or is there some support already?

I mean, buttons connected directly to some pins of the atmega32u4.

Thanks!

You can add your code in `matrix_scan()` function to scan the buttons.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/ps2_usb/matrix.c#L144

The function is called repeatedly every so often in main loop and would be good place to add your code in this case. TMK converters translate scancode got from keyboard into key stataus as a bit in array `matrix[]`.

I think you can add state of those buttons into the array `matrix[]` using scancodes unused in your keyboard, for example F13(0x08) and F14(0x10). Use 'matrix_make()` and `matrix_break()` to change status of the button, like `matrix_make(0x08)` when it is pressed.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/ps2_usb/matrix.c#L407-L423

EDIT:
This thread is basically intended to offer support for users of TMK made converters. Technical topic about converter modification like this would be more suitable to this PS/2 converter thread. Post in the thread if you need any further quetion, so that we can share info with community.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14618.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:13:35 by hasu »

Offline Laser

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:17:42 »
Thanks for the quick reply! I think I understand. One more question, could I also use mousekey key codes instead of F13 or F14, such as KC_BTN1 or KC_BTN2 instead (assuming I do enable mousekey functionality) ?

EDIT: sorry, I saw your edit only after posting. Next posts will be made in the other thread.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:22:30 »
Thanks for the quick reply! I think I understand. One more question, could I also use mousekey key codes instead of F13 or F14, such as KC_BTN1 or KC_BTN2 instead (assuming I do enable mousekey functionality) ?

EDIT: sorry, I saw your edit only after posting. Next posts will be made in the other thread.

Yes, you can remap the F13 and F14 to the mouse button in keymap definition.

Offline Laser

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 16:30:57 »

Thanks again, Hasu! :)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 19:31:32 »
[USB-USB]
Updated firmware of USB-USB converter to fix startup issue. See this post for detail.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.msg2634041#msg2634041

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 July 2018, 19:43:26 by hasu »

Offline scotland

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:09:35 »
My USB to USB converter arrived quickly to the UK. My whole idea was to map a UK layout Apple aluminium keyboard to work in Windows. The reason being my work PC is completely locked down so a hardware based method of remapping the keys was preferable. Using hasu's converter I managed to swap:

Left alt to left Windows
Left CMD to left alt
F13 to print screen
F14 to volume down
F15 to volume up

Thanks again hasu. Great service and great piece of kit.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:11:26 by scotland »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 19:51:32 »
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that!

Offline tonsoffun49

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 16:15:55 »
Having a bit of a slow moment so I just want to clarify if someone wouldn't mind helping me. I have 2 Pingmasters, a 6113442 and a 5954339. From what I have seen on Reddit and GeekHack, there are two ways to make it work on a modern Windows machine.

1. (Internal) Replacing the internal CPU with a Teensy 2.0
2. (External) Buying the IBM 4704 converter or building one using a DE-9 wired to a Teensy 2.0.

Not that I wouldn't mind supporting Hasu and buying the converter from him, I just prefer to make my own as I want to learn how to do this and enjoy tinkering. I don't like the idea of opening the case and messing with the internal CPU so I would rather convert it externally. Is a Teensy necessary or will a ProMicro work? Any tips or help would be appreciated. This is my first vintage board and I can't wait to start using it.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 19:01:36 »
ProMicro will work if it's the same processor (ATMEGA32U4).
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tonsoffun49

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 02:48:11 »
Thanks. Is there a benefit to using a Teensy over Pro Micro?

Offline Kekeke

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 10:40:47 »
I'm soory for asking this, but it seems I have a problem with pc98converter.
I built converter from leonardo, changed makefile by the way in config.h pd5 changed to pd1 but in readme its still pd5 and hid_listener just give me pc98:send9c:9c
Is it problem with my keyboard?

Sorry for my english and so noobish question

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 18:13:45 »
I'm soory for asking this, but it seems I have a problem with pc98converter.
I built converter from leonardo, changed makefile by the way in config.h pd5 changed to pd1 but in readme its still pd5 and hid_listener just give me pc98:send9c:9c
Is it problem with my keyboard?

Sorry for my english and so noobish question

Ah, yes RTY should be PD1 in README, I'll update github repo later.

what model is exactly your keyboard?

Offline Kekeke

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 08:34:46 »

I think its pc-9801RA keyboard, I dunno where I can see exactly model name) I have same model as this guy - http://island.geocities.jp/cklouch/column/pc98bas/ptpc98kbdra.htm

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 20:32:51 »

I think its pc-9801RA keyboard, I dunno where I can see exactly model name) I have same model as this guy - http://island.geocities.jp/cklouch/column/pc98bas/ptpc98kbdra.htm

hmm, I don't have that type keyboard to test and I guess it doesn't accept intialize commands. Can you try patch below to avoid the commands?
The PC98 converter was confirmed just with PC-9801V keyboard and DIGITAL WAVE D-BOARD so far, btw.

Code: [Select]
diff --git a/converter/pc98_usb/matrix.c b/converter/pc98_usb/matrix.c
index 54bb304..0ccf700 100644
--- a/converter/pc98_usb/matrix.c
+++ b/converter/pc98_usb/matrix.c
@@ -71,6 +71,7 @@ static void pc98_inhibit_repeat(void)

// clear recv buffer
     while (serial_recv()) ;
+/*
 RETRY:
     _delay_ms(100);
     pc98_send(0x9C);
@@ -83,6 +84,7 @@ RETRY:
     code = pc98_wait_response();
     if (code != -1) xprintf("PC98: send 70: %02X\n", code);
     if (code != 0xFA) goto RETRY;
+*/
 }

void matrix_init(void)

Offline Kekeke

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 08:47:05 »
Thanks for helping but It still doesn't work. Hid_listen said "keyboard start" but its doesn't work. I will dig further or just rebuild whole keyboard like diy-keyboard )

Offline ramencup

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 21:57:00 »
Heya, thinking about the IBM 4704 converter. Since this is presumably shipping from Japan, how much will this cost to ship and when should I expect it?
Also, does the converter preserve NKRO?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 20:01:45 »
The converters can be shipped usually in a few working days. It usually takes 5-10 days depending on your place. Shipping costs 6usd regardless of your location.

Default firmware supports only 6NKRO you have to configure in Makefile to enable NKRO.

Sent from my WAS-LX2J using Tapatalk

Offline Kekeke

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 08:12:49 »
The PC98 converter was confirmed just with PC-9801V

it's work with my keyboard I think its pc-9801RA. i change unimap. And i am kind of stupid, i messed up with receptable and acceptable connectors side. but now it works except **** and ctrl))

big thanks for this firmware and helping, i'm so happy now.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 19:13:21 »
it's work with my keyboard I think its pc-9801RA. i change unimap. And i am kind of stupid, i messed up with receptable and acceptable connectors side. but now it works except **** and ctrl

Great.
What is happened on **** and ctrl?  Do you think it is firmware related problem?
And  what is **** means actually?

Offline Kekeke

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 07:04:04 »
shift is shifт why it is in spam list?)

Now it works, something in unimaptrans was not correct for this kind of keyboard

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 18:10:16 »
Hello there, I recently obtained a Zenith Z 150 XT and am reporting that your most recent hex file seems to work just fine. I am not experiencing issues with wake up from sleep like fer.real mentioned. FWIW I am on a Mac, and am using teensy with the reset pin wired in. I will test out the converter and report back if I notice anything. Just an fyi :)

Thanks for another awesome project hasu!

Hi Again,

I've been using using the newest hex file you posted for a couple of days and I'm running into an issue.

The new firmware works great when I first plug the converter into the computer.  As long as the computer stays awake, I no longer have any of the random keypresses or repeating keys.

Problems start when my laptop wakes from sleep or hibernation.  As soon as it wakes up, the converter starts sending repeating keystrokes.  If I unplug and reattach the USB cable, the converter works fine again.

Attached is the output of hid_listen after the computer woke from sleep.
(Attachment Link)

Thanks again!

shift is shifт why it is in spam list?)

Now it works, something in unimaptrans was not correct for this kind of keyboard

Great. Post and share your patch for original code!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 21:05:25 »
[USB-USB]
STL file of enclosure designed for USB -USB converter is available on repo now. Thank you, Gouty@github!
https://github.com/tmk/USB2USB_Converter/tree/master/3D%20Printed%20Case

Try 3D print of the file if you are insterested.

Offline SomRandy

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 21:04:35 »
You got any b-stock/refurbished style 4704 converters? Wanna buy one but money is pretty tight

Offline fcoury

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 18:55:06 »
Removed, realized I posted on the wrong thread.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 16:00:33 »
@Hasu: Regarding your USB-USB converter:

1. Do you sell (and/or do you have other sales outlets) an internal version of the USB-USB converter?

2. Would the internal USB-USB converter work with a Pok3r and/or VIBE keyboard? These use the partial programming functions of the Poker, but they are not completely programmable. In particular, on keyboards with a Poker-type layout, I like to remap the keys to something close to a HHKB layout, in which case I use the RCtrl as my Fn key. With the built-in Poker programming, the RCtrl key cannot be reassigned. However, I have used your external USB-USB converter successfully with the Pok3r, but it would be more convenient for me if I could install the converter inside the case.

Thank you.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 01:07:55 »
Hi Hypersphere,

1. No, I have no internal version of the converter. But you can get it without USB connectors for if it is useful for you.

2. When the converter works externally with the keyboard, there is no reason that it doesn't work inside as far as the keyboard has enough room and you can connect wires properly.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 15:21:29 »
Thanks, Hasu!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:55:06 »
Although the Linus video is a seal of approval and crazy that TMK has a million views. I feel like credit was not given where credit is due and a lack of knowledge of why TMK exists and the other converters out there. In fact the video triggered me on the focus on auto hot keys and macros and lack of alternative layouts. He makes it sound like QMK and TMK are like a commerical manufacturer of keyboard software in a way. I guess this is the best we are going to get. we appreciate you hasu!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 21:37:41 »
Several USB-USB converters are back in stock. More will be available until end of the month.
Email me if you are interested.

Thank you

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 13:28:10 »
@Hasu

1. I just got an email today from 1up keyboards saying that they had your USB-USB back in stock, but when I went to their site, it said "out of stock" already!

2. I have sent you an email to order one directly from you.

3. I already have one of your USB-USB converters. Recently, I have been using it with my new RF R2 TKL PFU Edition keyboard. It works fine except for one thing. When I reboot the computer, I have to unplug and replug the converter into the computer in order to get the keyboard working again. Is this normal?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 16:02:38 »
@Hasu

1. I just got an email today from 1up keyboards saying that they had your USB-USB back in stock, but when I went to their site, it said "out of stock" already!

2. I have sent you an email to order one directly from you.
Yes, they sold really quickly! I'm still working on production of the converters for them but it has been stuck due to chinese new year holidays and its after-disorder.

Thank you for your order!

3. I already have one of your USB-USB converters. Recently, I have been using it with my new RF R2 TKL PFU Edition keyboard. It works fine except for one thing. When I reboot the computer, I have to unplug and replug the converter into the computer in order to get the keyboard working again. Is this normal?

I'll look into and reply in this thread rather than here to share the issue with more users.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.msg2726404#msg2726404

Offline themoon

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 05:28:33 »
Does anyone know if USB-USB converter work with Truly Ergonomic Keyboard (models 207 and 209)? It has some programming functionality via flashing firmware - like layers and simple key remapping - and physical DIP switches for win/mac layouts

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 18:10:56 »
USB-USB conveter is back in stock now.

Thank you

Offline v1ld

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:46:14 »
This converter works very well with the Niz Atom66, which may mean it works with their other keyboards.

Thanks very much for making this converter available for purchase!  I wish I'd known of it years ago.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 14:14:29 »
This converter works very well with the Niz Atom66, which may mean it works with their other keyboards.

Thanks very much for making this converter available for purchase!  I wish I'd known of it years ago.

Thanks for letting me know. I added the keyboard in the compatibility list of the converter.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 14:31:35 »

Those are neat boards.  They must be selling well b/c they seem to always be sold out.

Offline v1ld

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 17:48:28 »
Those are neat boards.  They must be selling well b/c they seem to always be sold out.

They really are very well designed.  While I've never used a Topre, the EC Nopres feel great to type on.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 35g membrane for someone who otherwise likes a lot of tactility.  So much so I decided not to install the 45g membrane and have even started to re-evaluate my choices elsewhere in terms of typing fatigue.

I hope someone comes up with a good way to use Niz/Plum EC switches with all the boards we can build today.

Offline rjohn

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 10:15:16 »
hello

if i want to connect my WASD vp3 usb keyboard to a PS/2 computer port ,do you have a converter that will work (without programing)?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2019, 10:18:01 by rjohn »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 18:26:18 »
No. These conveters translate classic keyobard protocols to use with modern computer through USB port.

hello

if i want to connect my WASD vp3 usb keyboard to a PS/2 computer port ,do you have a converter that will work (without programing)?

Offline rjohn

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 23:37:49 »
i see,thanks.

Offline giammin

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 02:38:22 »
hello

cant you just use the included usb to ps2 adapter?

Offline rjohn

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 04:45:24 »
WASD vp3 dont have a p/s2 to usb adaptor and neither work with one already tryed.only V3 works if you downgrade the firmware to ver:2.5

Offline giammin

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 04:59:09 »
sorry i read wasd and did not read the model