Author Topic: How to increase mouse sens past 100 on Win 7  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Clickey

How to increase mouse sens past 100 on Win 7
« on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 19:39:42 »
I just bought a microsoft intellipoint mouse because I like the feel of it. It does however have really low DPI (400) compared to modern gaming mice. My previous mouse had 5600 dpi so this is REALLY slow for me. I tried using regedit to change the sensitivity from the default of 20 to 40/60/80/100 but none of these would stay (they would reset back to 20 after shutdowns).

Is there a way to permanently increase the sensitivity of the mouse in windows 7?

EDIT: Control panel mouse setting is already at max of 100%
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline Bry

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 09:40:11 »
Eww, if you do this your mouse is going to be very inaccurate and skip multiple rows of pixels :/

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 13:10:22 »
Should have went for a Xai instead it has a nearly identical body shape. If you can return the intellipoint and get something better. There really isn't anything you can do in software to make the low dpi higher, as it is the limit of the sensor.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:06:43 »
what is your screen resolution by the way? 400DPI is not that bad (in my opinion) even under resolution of 1920X1200/1080 as far as basic points and clicks are concerned. I don't mind having to move my arm more to maneuver the mouse as using too much wrist isn't good anyway. I play Starcraft 2 using logitech M-BJ58 at 500Hz polling rate (very reliable optical sensor!).  I would lower the resolution when gaming to compensate for the low DPI.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Clickey

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 18:06:28 »
1920x1080 I find it to be quite slow, significantly affects reaction time in games. I guess I can try a deathadder (similar design), was hoping for a fix with this mouse though since it is perfect shape for me.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 18:41:18 »
Quote from: Clickey;387742
1920x1080 I find it to be quite slow, significantly affects reaction time in games. I guess I can try a deathadder (similar design), was hoping for a fix with this mouse though since it is perfect shape for me.
I'd say the Habu would be a better compromise if you can find one. It's only got 2000 dpi compared to the DA's 3500, but the shape is slightly yet noticeably closer to the IME 3.0 in my opinion.

Offline Clickey

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 20:42:24 »
Thanks for your input. I read a lot of reviews on the DeathAdder and it seems to die within a few months in many cases (typical razer "quality"), and out of the 4 different razer mice I have had, I did not like one of them. I think Xai is a little out of my price range ($90-$100).

Habu is in collaboration with Razer, so I am suspicious of it. How is the build quality in your opinion?

Out of the dozens of mice I have tried, the microsoft ones had the best tracking despite low dpi. I don't know why they can't just update the intellipoint with a more sensitive sensor, or why every company has to slap on additional buttons/"features" instead of making a quality 3 button mouse with excellent tracking and build quality.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 00:03:17 »
get a bigger mousepad. go look at all the best counterstrike players from when 1.5/1.6 was THE fps. they all used low sensitivity and huge mousepads. it's the way to go.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 06:29:34 »
Quote from: Clickey;387818
Thanks for your input. I read a lot of reviews on the DeathAdder and it seems to die within a few months in many cases (typical razer "quality"), and out of the 4 different razer mice I have had, I did not like one of them. I think Xai is a little out of my price range ($90-$100).

Habu is in collaboration with Razer, so I am suspicious of it. How is the build quality in your opinion?

Out of the dozens of mice I have tried, the microsoft ones had the best tracking despite low dpi. I don't know why they can't just update the intellipoint with a more sensitive sensor, or why every company has to slap on additional buttons/"features" instead of making a quality 3 button mouse with excellent tracking and build quality.
After comparing my Mamba, which has pretty much the same shape as the DA, with my Habu it seems that they are very very similar in shape, however the Habu is slightly "larger" around the right click, which to me made a lot of difference. However, I do believe the DA is closer to this than the Mamba as the Mamba has a small indent on the right side that I don't think the DA has.

All in all I'd really recommend a DA as I think finding a Habu is not that easy nowadays and the Habu does have some internal problems(they are easily mended though).

Quote from: BiNiaRiS;387933
get a bigger mousepad. go look at all the best counterstrike players from when 1.5/1.6 was THE fps. they all used low sensitivity and huge mousepads. it's the way to go.
There's no "way to go" really, it all comes down to preference.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 16:31:18 »
Never used a Xai but I have online friends that swear by it. Also yeah, keep your sensitivity on "6" for no interpolation and adjust DPI once you get a faster mouse.

I currently own 3 Razer Lachesis (Lachesi?) mice and gave my old Copperhead to a coworker. None of those 4 mice has ever had a single quality issue (besides peeling rubber after a few years of heavy use). I used to wrap up my Copperhead and toss it in a bag to bring to/from work and LAN parties all the time and it's still going strong.

That said, if my Lachesi failed I'd probably think about grabbing the Xai, I like it's slick unassuming form and supposedly high quality. I'm also limited in my options because I mouse left-handed so take my advice with a grain of salt, right-hand only mice aren't an option for me, though I think I'd prefer non-ergo anyway from what I've felt trying friends'.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104